Start by marking “Cenote City” as Want to Read:
Cenote City

Cenote City

Published March 5th 2019 by Clash Books

To ask other readers questions about Cenote City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cenote City

Start your review of Cenote City
Emily
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
"She began to cry and cry and cry tears that felt like needles and blades."

3.5⭐

Cenote City is Monique Quintana's gorgeous debut novella. Her writing is vivid and poetic, and this book was a great introduction to Quintana's style. I would say this book is speculative fiction / bizarro with some magical realism, horror, and fantasy vibes. It's a really unique story.

I really enjoyed this story, but I struggled with the format. It's not told chronologically, and I had a hard
Dustin
Dec 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: clash-books, gothic

Description from Amazon:

Lune's mother cannot stop crying after all the hospitals shut down. She cries and cries and finally she is exiled to the cenote, where her tears endlessly fill the giant sinkhole. She becomes a big tourist attraction. People come from miles to see Marcrina cry into the cenote--part prisoner, part carnival attraction, part saint, Marcrina's story is one of heartbreak, love, and endurance. This is the story of Lune, of Marcrina, of Lune's son Nico, and of a stran/>
V. Castro
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
”I was wearing a yellow blouse with oversized Pachuca pants, crisp at the crease and grey like smoke”
How I need and want to read more descriptions like that. Those were the girls I went to middle school with. That is a girl I know. 😭🖤👸🏽
But what is really interesting about this book is @quintanadarkling has created a place where brown babies are born dead and tourists flock to see an imprisoned woman cry into a cenote. The Generales are in charge so you better stay where you belong. W
Thursday Simpson
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Line by line, this book is a masterpiece. So well written, so beautiful. So nuanced. Every line is a treasure.

Read this book.
Margaret Adelle
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book reads less like a single story and more like a collection of surreal short stories told with recurring characters. It's non-liner and poetic to the point where I wasn't sure what's a metaphor and what's literal.

Rating this is difficult, as it set out with a specific artistic vision and definitely achieved that technically. But I found myself confused and rereading often. A large part of that is my own ignorance of the Mexican culture, so take that with a grain of salt.

My favorite par
Ruben Degollado
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Monique Quintana has created a new genre with Cenote City: Barrio Magical Realism. You will find yourself reading and rereading passages, trying to find the places where our familiar reality bleeds into the reality of Cenote City and back again. I look forward to reading more from this powerful author.
David
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore the way this book interweaves the multiple worlds, if in fact there is a difference and we just don’t think there is. It makes the story both clear and ephemeral, and a delight to read. Beautiful and haunting.
Marley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing imagery and use of language.
I want to read more from Monique Quintana!

There were a few editing/consistency issues that I found distracting as I read and detracted from staying within the mindset of the story. However, overall it was beautiful and magical!
Julia DeBarrioz
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mexico
This book is a poem that will bite you in the heart then offer you a flower.

Exquisitely sad.

Defiantly beautiful.

I devoured this in two sittings. Ms. Quintana's prose is like a fever dream I didn't want to wake up from.
Kristina

• Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • The Leftovers
  • Black Wave
  • Oh, Florida!: How America's Weirdest State Influences the Rest of the Country
  • We Fed an Island: The True Story of Rebuilding Puerto Rico, One Meal at a Time
  • The Shape of the Ruins
  • Fox 8
  • Notes from a Young Black Chef
  • Land of Love and Drowning
  • Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen
  • The Not-Quite States of America: Dispatches from the Territories and Other Far-Flung Outposts of the USA
  • Decolonizing Wealth: Indigenous Wisdom to Heal Divides and Restore Balance