Start by marking “She Was The Storm” as Want to Read:
She Was The Storm

She Was The Storm

this book of poetry is for you. the broken hearted soul in need of encouragement. let me remind you who you truly are. you are the power of nature, waiting to take the world by storm. this book of poetry will be the fire that ignites your soul and passionf or life.
Published October 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about She Was The Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Was The Storm

Start your review of She Was The Storm
Alice (Married To Books)
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2019
The overall reviews for this collection are mixed. What I will say is if you are looking for poetry that is short, simple but is effective at getting to the point, then pick up a copy of She Was The Storm. Yes the ideas and moods have been used in other collections. But sometimes, we all need a gentle read to enjoy.
Bex
Sep 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, reviews
If I scrolled down a single stream of social media I would find this book. Mine, yours, it doesn't matter. Pages which post encouragements and empowering statements found on random profiles that are intended to promote strength, solidarity or resilience are the heart of this book.

Let me make myself clear: I'm not bashing those sentiments. What I'm saying is that She Was The Storm is a constant supply of such encouragements, and it has absolutely no impact for me because the poetry has absolutel
Michelle
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poetry is a really personal thing which makes books like this difficult to review, this just did not feel written from the heart though. To me it reads more like a book of clichés and borrowed lines and unfortunately didn't stir any kind of emotion in me. ...more
Lydia (Readerofrivendell)
Beautiful, but felt lacking in places.

A beautiful, short read but wasn’t quite what I was hoping for. Felt more like a motivational read, rather than a book of poetry.
Saeda Marwan
May 29, 2021 rated it liked it
I've read other reviews before posting mine, how this wasn't really poetry from the heart and things that are simply motoivational but the author really said that's what this poem book was. It's for the broken hearted and those who needed a push. Some of these things I needed to hear but I do wish there were more that came from the author's heart.

If you need a small push and need words of encouragement, definitely read this.
Warren Hall
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
She Was The Storm is a collection of poetry by Cherie Avritt. It has four chapters -- woman, lessons, hurricane, and storm. Each has it's particular theme, all culminating in the general view that "you are the power of nature, waiting to take the world by storm." My outlook on the book is basically that it could have been great but isn't.
I have seen a few critiques of the work which I agree with on varying levels. 1: the poems are sentence-long inspirational nothings capable of being collecte
Nikki's Fiction Place
I enjoyed reading this, it went well with what I'm dealing with now. ...more
Annabeth
Dec 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is simply lazy poetry, if you can even call it poetry. Basic girls' Instagram captions have more meaning than these "poems" do. I am thoroughly disappointed. It is clear to me now that this book is a cash grab to get people who want to look "deep" to buy this book. This is an insult to the art form of poetry and to real poets who put time and effort into their work. ...more
Solenn
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"Never stop believing in yourself"

The types of poems that we encounter through this book are just like the one above. I am not saying that they are not important, maybe they are important for the author, and helped to get through something in their life, but it felt just like I was scrolling through social media and found those types of motivational quotes but all in one book, it did not felt personal, sincere and coming from the heart, like someone sharing their story, their struggles with a pu
Janelle
May 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Okay is this actually considered poetry?? A lot of the entries are one sentence “quotes.” And some I noticed are stolen. There was nothing poetic about this. Just someone trying to give life advice using a short quote and calling it poetry.
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
See this review and more on Books and Ladders!
"i cannot just forgive you for what you did to me

i don’t hate you but i can’t just pretend you never broke me"

This felt like so many other poetry collections - there was nothing unique or interesting about it. I had to double check to make sure I hadn't read this specific collection previously because it just felt so similar to a lot of others. The phrasing, the words, the formatting - all of it has been done before (and better imho). That is the pr
mar✰
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was ok
do not resent yourself for how slowly you are healing it takes time and you need to remember that.
xénia
Jan 04, 2021 added it
Shelves: poetry, 2021
i don't know why i'm so into reading bad poetry. anyway one star ...more
Wuttipol
Mar 16, 2021 rated it did not like it
"She was a Poem
But he couldn't read"

Please...just stop.
This is lazy poetry, nothing more.

🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Jan 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, 2019reads, 1-star
*sighs*
Kellen Foord
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved every single poem in this book. Easy to read while maintaining that poet-reader connection.
Cash
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
“The greater your current struggle, the greater the light is at the end of the tunnel”

Amy
May 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
I’ve seen a couple of other reviews describe this collection as “meh” and honestly it’s the only way I can think to describe it.

The poetry feels very surface level and never seems like it goes beyond or tries to go deeper. It feels a bit like meaningless encouragements you’d find on twitter or a in greeting card. It just didn’t do anything for me and there weren’t any poems that stood out to me so I had to give it one star.

Poetry is so subjective though so give it w go and see what you think!
Mariam Abood
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2020
It's 1 in the morning and I can't sleep so bear with me if this review is a little scant. This will mainly be my opinion, with a little wider literature.

actual rating

a little specific but 3.5 is too harsh but 4 stars is too generous.

the gist and synopsis

Ok so Avritt is no Rupi Kaur, but I have found many of the reviews on this book to be quite harsh. I love reading poetry as it gets me through hard times and I found that the simplicity of the text was perfect to read on a late eve
Lauren
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Poetry is so individual and personal which makes it incredibly difficult to rate/review. Some people may find it to be beautiful and relatable to their own lives whereas others may struggle to see the beauty in it. For me, I struggled with this poetry collection. I love poetry, however this one just wasn't for me, There were some beautiful lines and imagery which I enjoyed, however overall I found it very difficult to finish and didn't feel like poetry to me-it didn't seem to flow and parts of i ...more
Janaki Balasubramanian
Rae
Jan 24, 2021 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry, nonfiction
Okay, I can appreciate the message of believing in yourself and yadda yadda but this was just meh. I realize that while poetry is totally subjective- this is way pushing beyond the line. Most of these were just quotes and one to two sentence liners, which if you ask me, is def not poetry. Technicalities aside, the bits here tend to be repetitive, generic, and I swear to the gods a couple of the bits here reeked of Tumblr and Pinterest.
Hannah Cao
Mar 14, 2021 rated it did not like it
It is more like tumblr post reminders, I'm so sorry. I know the author meant well, and it has sound advice (and maybe 13 year old me would have loved it for it), but the writing is generic, so it's not what I would call profound poetry. I would call it self help - a book of reminders, reminiscent of love and heartbreak. I watched Rachel Oates' review on YouTube to see if I'm just being mean, but I do agree with everything she mentions in her video. ...more
Isabelle
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was disappointing. There is nothing special about this poetry. It has no new ideas and just and is basically repeating what id known to be liked. It has no hear no soul this poetry. I was excited for this book of poetry but it feel short for me.

The poetry isn’t bad, its just not memorable or unique. It felt fake as I read it.
Ámbar
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wowsaaa

This book is intense in so many little words. The relevance in it with people that has been played and lied to is impressive and to realize that is sad, bc pain sometimes doesn’t make us strong, bc when people are lonely and in pain and betrayed and used... what salvation is there ? So... thank you C for this amazing book of poetry.
Georgi_Lvs_Books
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
“my long hair waves in the breeze as i sit on the shore watching the waves dash against the rocks even here, in my happy place you intrude upon my mind shoving aside my thoughts to take your place at the front of my mind”

Very quick read!

Lovely poetry!

Defiantly related to a lot of Cherie’s poems.
Zinzee Noel
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Making it through the storm

I think this was a nice book I needed those reminders. I needed to find myself again. Tho one may argue that it is no different to finding inspirational quotes on Instagram but sometimes broken people don't look for that so it was a good way of reminding us that we should keep our heads high🙂
Frances
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Heartfelt and Beautiful Poetry

This collection of poetry contains short but poignant poems. I enjoyed reading every word as each touched my heart. This book speaks to those who have felt heartbreak, betrayal and passion. Highly recommend this book for those looking for short poems and a quick read.
jen
Feb 17, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-reads
”inconsistency is the first sign that someone only cares about you when it’s convenient for them”

”it hurts to realize that no one has ever cared about me as much as i have cared about them
perhaps i feel too deeply or get attached too easily”

”you can’t convince people to give you the love you deserve”
Ciara Gomes
Apr 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Memories scattered like leaves.

The chapters seem scattered but when you’re going through heartbreak of life’s challenges sometimes there are days that positive inspirations hit and of course you have those dark moments as well. I love reading both and not necessarily in traditional fairy tail order of sad to happy. Life isn’t always just a build up to perfect.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Sun Will Rise and So Will We
  • Beautiful Mistakes
  • Things I Learned in the Night
  • I Am More Than My Nightmares
  • For When She's Feeling Blue
  • in the absence of the sun
  • I Saw You As A Flower: A Poetry Collection
  • I Am More Than a Daydream
  • Losing Myself Brought Me Here
  • Swim
  • Uncaged Wallflower
  • the words i want you to keep
  • Dear Midnight
  • Bright Minds Empty Souls
  • sugar, honey, ice & tea
  • Wildflower Tea