Start by marking “Mavis and Dot” as Want to Read:
Mavis and Dot

Mavis and Dot

A warm slice of life, funny, feel-good, yet poignant. Introducing two eccentric ladies who form an unlikely friendship.Meet Mavis and Dot - two colourful, retired ladies who live in Worthington-on-Sea, where there are charity shops galore. Apart from bargain hunting, they manage to tangle themselves in escapades involving illegal immigrants, night clubs, nude modelling, er ...more
Published November 14th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Mavis and Dot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mavis and Dot

DJ Sakata
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

They had a good scavenge in the charity shop. Dot found a pair of crotchless tights and held them up to the window to see if there were any ladders. Mavis hurried over and snatched them away. ‘You don’t want those, surely? They’re… you know…’ Dot snatched them back. ‘Yes, I do. Very sensible, comfortable and with draughts in the right places.’ ‘They’re from Ann Summers,’ Mavis said, lowering her voice. ‘Who’s she?’ ‘It’s a brand for – for –’ Mavis searched for an explanation, con
Dash fan
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
10☆ Mavis and Dot Stole My Heart!
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Ok so it's not often I go above a 5☆ rating, but Mavis and Dot absolutely stole my heart in more ways than one!

Mavis and Dot literally reminded me of my Aunties and Nan, my Aunt got baptised at 90 and my other Aunt was still flirting and ballroom dancing in her 90s too. Sadly both passed away aged 99.

Mavis and Dot are loveable, cheeky, adventurous, fun, a breath of fresh air. If I'm anything like them at their age well I will be very happy.

Mavis
Berit☀️✨
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, blog-tour
This was such a heartwarming delight of a story...

Mavis and dot were two eccentric and engaging characters in the twilight of their lives.... I completely adore both of these ladies and would love to spend the afternoon thrift store shopping with them... when I picked this book up I was expecting a fun fluffy read, but what I got was so much more , there was a lot of unexpected depth to this story... something else definitely worth mentioning is the prophets from the sale of this book go towards
Kirsty ❤️
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Firstly this book is dedicated to a friend who sadly lost her life to cancer. All proceeds for sales will go to a cancer charity. Like many people I have lost friends and family to cancer and so this resonates with me and I do hope the book raises a good amount of funds for Cancer Research.

The stories in the book around Mavis & Dot’s adventures were started when the author and her friend met when charity shop junking and add a bittersweet feel when you know that upfront.

Mavis and Dot meet on
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
What a wonderful feel good read this was.

Mavis and Dot are quite different in personalities which I think makes their friendship even more lovely to read. It was quite sad I have to say that both of the ladies have found themselves quite alone in the world with not much in the way of family and friends. I was actually glad that a chance meeting gets them both together.

There is a whole array of wonderful characters, even the dog makes such an impression on the reader. In a way it has made me look
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an amusing and charming pair of ladies are at the centre of this book.

They may be older ladies but they certainly haven't lost their zest for life.

Initially meeting at bridge they seem to be compete opposites but as you get up know them you understand why Dot can appear to be prickly.

There are a lot of antics in this story that are sure to raise a smile order a giggle.

The setting of Worthington on Sea is a traditional British seaside town and feels like a location I can recall as a child
Donna Maguire

This was a treat to read!

I love the cover for this story and I think the author has done a fabulous job with the story! It is heart-warming, made me giggle, laugh, reminisce and there was a touch of sadness too. The story is well written and has a great flow- you can't not love the main characters!!

4.5 stars from me rounded up to 5 stars for Amazon and Goodreads - a really enjoyable story that is supporting a very worthy cause- you can grab your copy today
Karen
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mavis and Dot is a delightfully funny and charming read with two of the most eccentric characters I’ve come across. Both retired, they meet at a Bridge Club in the seaside town of Worthington–on-Sea whilst Mavis is working her way through her alphabetical bucket list. The bridge club doesn’t end well but despite being like chalk and cheese they strike up a friendship – their love of hunting for charity shop bargains bringing them together.

Mavis has a penchant for Italian men and has rather a rac
Pamela Allegretto
Angela Petch has penned a well-written, witty, and heart-warming story. Cleaver banter, an appealing supporting cast, and timely social issues weave a unique and memorable story. I rarely clamor for a sequel, but in the case of Mavis and Dot, I make the exception: I want more.
My compliments to artist Gill Kaye for the brilliant cover art. It suits the characters perfectly.
Alison
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a charming little eyeopener this is. Mavis and Dot are couple of ‘older’ ladies as different as polar opposites but joining a Bridge Club draws them together, then an accusation of cheating riles them enough to ‘up & leave’. And where else could you possibly go after an event like that … a tea shop of course. One lady craving a ‘builder’s brew’ [strong ] and the other going for the more refined lapsang souchong, this sums up the start of their dubious friendship, opposite in everything ...more
Els
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a heartwarming story. You could easily imagine the two ladies meeting and see how their friendship started to grow. They teach us that you are never too old to have fun, never too old to meet new people, never too old to live your life.

The book has funny bits and heartbreaking ones. It was fluently written and the few drawings put an even bigger smile on my face.

Why shouldn't you be able to be flamboyant or do something crazy when you are older? Life is how you make it and when you have
Lisa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while a book comes your way that makes your heart sing, Mavis and Dot was that book for me.I think I can safely say it's in my top three reads of 2018.It's an absolute gem of a story about two ladies, Mavis and Dot. Both are polar opposites in personalities but their friendship grows and they fit together like two jigsaw pieces.Mavis is just a bundle of fun with a real naughty side, I adored her and I found myself laughing out loud to not only her antics but also her mispronuncia ...more
Jessie Cahalin
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Large Slice of Life with Mavis and Dot
Embark on a series of adventures with Mavis and Dot but prepare yourself for a roller coaster of emotions. Humour and adorable, eccentric characters present a commentary on modern Britain. Reading Angela Petch’s ‘Mavis and Dot’ is like delving into a large slice of Tiramisu: the pick me up dessert with a bitter sweet balance of perfection.

Like a quintessential seaside town, Mavis and Dot have Britishness stamped through their charming identities. Though they
Linda Hill
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A chance meeting at a bridge club will lead to friendship for Mavis and Dot.

Mavis and Dot is a delightful book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I’m always cynically sceptical of claims about books in their advertising and when I saw ‘A warm slice of life, funny, feel-good, yet poignant’ I wasn’t quite prepared for how accurate a description this is. It sums up Mavis and Dot perfectly.

There’s fast paced action and so much packed into Mavis and Dot that I’d defy any reader not to be able to fi
Misfits farm
Mavis and Dot meet when they are both new at the Bridge club. It isn’t long before they decide the rest of the members are “boring old farts” and set off in search of a tea room. Mavis tells Dot that she is working her way through activities in alphabetical order. Bridge was next as “agoraphobics” really wouldn’t be her thing and so belly dancing is next on the list (Mavis is subject to using malapropisms) . This is a wonderful, uplifting humorous read. The antics that Mavis and Dot get up to. F ...more
Patricia Feinberg Stoner
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take two ladies of a certain age in a picturesque seaside town, and you know what to expect. Cosy knitting by the fireside, a game of bingo and a nice cuppa in a chintzy tea room, right? Wrong. In this hilarious romp you must factor in illegal immigrants and drag artistes, wayward toupees and tango lessons as well as the obligatory cuppa.
There’s Mavis, a saucy minx with a love of bling and gaudy clothes; she isn’t going to let advancing years and an increasing waistline stand in her way. She’s d
Helen
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! Mavis and Dot are complete opposites, but so alike in their quirky ways and outspoken points of view. Mavis is wonderful, open to trying out new things (and men!) but always ending up in hilarious situations. Dot is more reserved, but as we find out more about her past, she worms her way into your heart. The author has also created some fantastic secondary characters, who are a colourful accompaniment to Mavis and Dot.
The story makes you laugh out loud at the character
Trisha Kelly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read!

I totally lost myself in this great novel. I do hope this is just the beginning of an on-going friendship, not just with Mavis and Dot, but all the other colourful characters too. I loved the way they grew together and many lives intertwined. With some of the 'family' more oddball than others. Without giving spoilers, I would love to read a second book as there are situations I'd love to see unfold for all of the cast in this book. The scene has been set for plenty more fun, froli
Rachel
Nov 12, 2018 added it
Review to follow as part of blog tour...
Anne
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Goodness, I so enjoyed this one – and I really, really hope that this won’t be the only outing for the wonderful characters and their wonderful storylines, just crying out for more. Mavis and Dot might be caricatures of colourful eccentrics, but they’re quite exquisitely drawn – and, as you read and find out more about their backgrounds and become increasingly moved by the loneliness of their current lives, you’ll grow to love them every bit as much as I did. And their adventures – as their unli ...more
Rosemary Noble
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this book would make an excellent TV series. Ms Petch paints colourful, quirky characters which develop, from what could so easily have been caricatures in less-experienced hands, into empathetic fully-rounded ladies of a certain age. There is joy in this book in spades.
Jena Henry
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“This is not the sort of behavior we expect at Worthington-on-Sea Bridge Club.”

With that, we are introduced to Mavis and Dot. These two are now at the top of my “favorite characters” list.

Mavis is a retired school nurse. She daydreams about her bucket list and is keen on afternoon dalliances. She confuses words- wait until you read about her mix-up with the word fornicator. She also has her own sense of style. Her ensemble of a “Lime green frock with a sequined bolero, gold evening gloves, nifty
L.S.
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meet the newest odd couple on the block - or at least in Worthington-on-Sea! Mavis and Dot have both recently moved to the area, and when a Bridge game goes awry they head off to find a new place to "hang out" over tea and cake. The two are polar opposite in appearance, yet find they share a good rummage in a charity shop. While they have wildly different tastes - Dot is quite dowdy and practical, while Mavis is bolder and more flamboyant. Their "discoveries" prove the old adage that one man's j ...more
Yvonne
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mavis and Dot are initially strangers and very different in character. They meet by chance at a local Bridge evening and it marks the start of a friendship. Along the way they meet a real variety of wonderful other characters, again each of these are very different, but they all have one common thread…loneliness.

I followed Mavis and Dot as the rummaged their way through charity shops and bargain baskets and it started to give me a glimpse into what makes them tick.

Their quirkiness or rather thei
Natalie Gardner
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really charming and lovely story, this was easy to read and I finished it in no time.  There are more serious themes going on but the book is uplifting and funny.  I loved the two characters and hope to be half as adventurous as them at their age.

It was a little bit of a sentimental read for me too.  I can imagine my Grandma (also called Mavis) would have been very similar to these, had she not go so poorly after retiring.  After losing her in April, I found myself often thinking of her while
Jane Cable
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a genuinely heart-warming book about all sorts of friendships which I can happily recommend. Now that I've finished it I find I'm rather missing the characters... ;-)
Sharon
Mavis and Dot live in the quintessential British Seaside town of Worthington on Sea.  They form an unlikely friendship when they meet during Bridge Club.  Realising that just because they are from the ‘older generation’, it doesn’t mean that they can’t have fun.  This is their tale of the fun they get up to, but whilst it is humorous and heart-warming, it also has a hint of sadness and regret.

I found the characters in this easy to read book all wonderful and found I had a particular fondness for
Rosemarie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book in return for an honest review as part of a blog tour for the author. Full review on my blog 24th November 2018.

This book made me laugh and cry, it's entertaining and well-written. I read it in one day because I enjoyed the story so much.
Deborah J Miles
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tour
A chance pairing at a bridge drive sees the beginning of an odd friendship. Different as chalk and cheese, Mavis and Dot leave the bridge drive together, in search of a strong cup of tea, when Mavis is accused of cheating. She isn't; she is unsure of the rules, and didn't have any hearts to follow on. Regardless, they are affronted and leave.

Over tea - Mavis has a strong tea referred to as "builder's brew", and Dot a lapsang souchong - they find they have a common interest in rummaging in charit
Nicola Smith
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mavis and Dot are unlikely friends. Mavis is jolly, larger than life and a glass half full sort of person. Dot is a bit more buttoned up, but feisty all the same. Right at the beginning of this book, they meet for the first time and, encouraged by the fact they are both relatively new to Worthington-on-Sea, they form an alliance. There when needed but still with their own separate lives, they are great together.

I thought this was a really lovely, feel-good story. I suspect Mavis is many readers'
sympathy or annoyance? 1 3 Nov 14, 2018 08:16AM
Born in Germany on account of my father being stationed there in the British army, post-war, I have not stopped travelling and collecting stories since. The remainder of my childhood was spent in Rome, I married in Italy, worked for a Dutch company, lived in Tanzania, East Africa and now divide my year between Tuscany and West Sussex, England.