Start by marking “The Silent Treatment” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Silent Treatment

Abbie Greaves

The Silent Treatment

A lifetime together. Six months of silence. One last chance.

Frank hasn't spoken to his wife Maggie for six months.

For weeks they have lived under the same roof, slept in the same bed and eaten at the same table – all without words.

Maggie has plenty of ideas as to why her husband has gone quiet.

But it will take another heartbreaking turn of events before Frank finally start
Hardcover
Published 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Treatment

Start your review of The Silent Treatment
Nilufer Ozmekik
What is wrong with me? Don’t say “everything” I can hear you! Why didn’t I like this book so much?
I think I’m not in a wrong place, I’m at home and it’s not wrong time, it’s around 2 a.m. I finished a book and writing a review (Actually I started it but probably finish it tomorrow and post it another time line and who cares, my timing is still right!) so this is not you’re in the wrong place at the wrong time situation. This is totally you’re holding the wrong book for your taste and you cannot
Emer (A Little Haze)
Do you ever feel like you're just the wrong reader for a book? That for some reason a perfectly well written book with an interesting plot just doesn't appeal to you.

That's what has happened to me with The Silent Treatment.

There are no real reasons why I didn't enjoy this book as I should have. I think it's purely down to very personal reasons. I just felt very alienated from the world of these characters as what they were experiencing was something too removed from my own life.

The story open
DJ Sakata
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quote:

I have no intention of being cruel, really I don’t, I never do. The sad reality is that often our behavior will do it for us, unwilled and unwilling. My silence is the very best example.

My Review:

Never have I read prose so elegantly detailed with an uncommon poignancy of tiny movements that continually plucked at my heartstrings while taunting my inquisitive nature to an unbearable level. The characters were devastatingly fractured, highly idiosyncratic, and oddly captivating. Nar
Michelle
It is odd and very unusual to consider a married couple living together-- that allow 6 months to pass between them without speaking. In Abbie Greaves debut novel “The Silent Treatment” (2020) This is exactly what happened between Professor Frank Hobbs and his wife Maggie. This loving and entirely devoted couple had been married for over 40 years, when Frank found Maggie unconscious and near death in their Oxford home.

After calling an ambulance, Frank consumed with guilt made his way to the hospi
Jayme
There is no doubt that this debut novel is well written...

It just wasn’t a story that I could relate to personally, as I never had the desire to have children.

I was expecting a book about the break down of a relationship but did not realize there would be a strong focus on parenting when I requested this.

Maggie doesn’t feel like she, or her family can be complete, unless she becomes a mother. And, her greatest desire is to not only become a Mom, but to be the best version of a Mom, that a woma
Louise Wilson
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Maggie have been married for forty years. Haven't spoken for six months. Maggie is at the end of her tether and takes an overdose. She's put I to a coma. They each kept secrets from each other. They didn't share them as they didn't want to hurt each others feelings. Whilst Maggie is in the coma, Frank takes the opportunity to say to Maggie all the things he should have told her before.

This is a love story that has spanned forty years. A story that will tug at your heartstrings and ,if
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)
4.5 stars rounded up

Wow, I’m full of emotions after reading this one. The story was crafted with the utmost care; its voice was authentic and tone, genuine.

Frank and Maggie have been happily married for forty years – they know each other inside and out – but, for the last six months Frank has not spoken a single word. It is breaking Maggie. Frank will be forced to find his voice when he finds an unconscious Maggie next to an empty package of sleeping pills. Will he be able to tell Maggie the rea
Michelle
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Rounded Up

In case you haven't been able to surmise it already from the summary - this is a very sad story. It was a very well written story, but one that caused me to rush through it as quick as possible just to get it over with. It was much too heavy of a read for everything going on right now, but I felt I owed it to the author to provide my feedback.

As previously mentioned, this was very well written. So much so that I found myself crying at many sections throughout the book. Not so much
Louise Wilson
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Maggie have been married for forty years. They haven't spoken for six months. Maggie is at the end of her tether and takes an overdose. She's put in a coma. They each kept secrets from each other. They didn't share them as as they didn't want to hurt each others feelings. Whilst Maggie is in the coma, Frank takes the opportunity to say to Maggie all the things he should have told her before.

Jenny (Reading Envy)
This is a debut novel and if you are looking for a slow burn marriage novel, this might do it. To my taste it was too slow, an interesting story but structured like a thriller without a reveal that was overly surprising or unique. Too much tell, not enough show - the most exciting part is the only part told in an active voice and that's the very beginning when the wife tries to take her own life after six months of marital silence. Half was in journal entries in italics, which is too much of the ...more
Gilly Macmillan
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In her tremendously moving debut, a novel that pulses with emotional tension, Abbie Greaves masterfully unpicks a history of ordinary lives facing extraordinary challenges. I found it impossible to look away from the relationship at the heart of this novel.
Jodie (That Happy Reader)
This book is an emotional look at the love and marriage of Frank and Maggie. The story begins with Maggie taking an overdose of sleeping pills and Frank finding her some time later. The two had not spoken to each other for the past six months despite living and sleeping together. When Maggie is ventilated and sedated, Maggie’s nurse Daisy encourages Frank to talk to Maggie and to tell their story.
Frank recalls the story of the two of them and speaks this to Maggie over the next several days. He
Elaine
I was stoked when I won a copy of The Silent Treatment from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I thought the premise was intriguing, yet as I was reading, I realized it was a bit hard to suspend disbelief for.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Frank and Maggie have been married for a long time. When a family tragedy forces Frank to withdraw from the only woman he's ever loved, Maggie takes a drastic step herself that forces her husband to reassess their life together.

Will Frank be able to save Maggie before it's
Anna
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, tender love story that truly touched my heart.
Frank and Maggie have been been married for over 40 years. They have had their ups and downs, but through it all their love has remained strong and steady. So when Frank suddenly goes silent for 6 months, Maggie is confused, feeling untethered and lost. Hiding in his study, alerted by the fire alarm he finds Maggie collapsed on the floor, an empty bottle of sleeping pills on the table. Frank is frantic and in his hope that Maggie will co
V_Nerdbooks
This was such a heartwarming, and also heartbreaking read.

It follows the story of a married couple, Frank and Maggie, seemingly going about their normal day, the book jumps right in to Maggie preparing the evening meal for her and Frank, it then takes a bit more of a sinister turn, when Maggie just sits down at the kitchen table and starts emptying multiple packets of sleeping pills to take. Frank is unaware of what his wife is doing, and he is upstairs playing solitaire on his computer.

You see,
Hristina
This book is written just beautifully. I liked so much about it, but even if I didn't, the writing would've been enough for me to enjoy it. It flowed so naturally, and it helped me immerse myself in the story almost immediately, which is not something a lot of books do.
This is a character driven book, and they were brought to the page perfectly. Their relationship and the issues within it were intriguing throughout the read.
This was amazing, and it was hard to put down. I recommend it.

*Copy rece
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader

I read the first two pages and wrote down in my notes 'Already emotional.' This pretty much set the tone for this novel.

Frank has gone silent, for SIX months, and his wife Maggie cannot figure out why. She's tried to be understanding, it doesn't seem as if he doesn't love her anymore or anything of that sort, he just...refuses to speak.

But, can Frank keep quiet when he finds Maggie, overdosed on sleeping pills?

He breaks his silence, but, now the real ques
Shae
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredibly frustrating. The entire second half of the book had me wanting to skip paragraphs and take a valium to calm down and get through it faster. Although I’m grateful that a book has the ability to give me those emotions, i’m sad to say that it wasn’t worth it.

The entire premise of the book is meant to be set around the silent treatment between a husband, Frank, and his wife, Maggie. But from the first chapter you come to learn that there’s something maggie is keeping secret
Jennifer Garber
The Nerd Daily
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Beth Mowbray

In her debut novel, Abbie Greaves breathes life into a tale of love, sorrow, guilt, and secrets. This beautifully written story of marriage through the years is both uplifting and heartbreaking, sometimes at the very same time.

In the first pages, we are introduced to Maggie under rather extreme circumstances. She is sitting in the kitchen opening multiple sleeping pill capsules, preparing to take them all, but at the same time she is
Kathy
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The Silent Treatment by Abbie Greaves is a marvelous debut that is quite poignant.

After forty years of marriage,  Frank Hobbs has inexplicably been unable to talk to his wife Maggie for the past six months.  Frank is shaken and terrified after finding her unconscious and fighting for her life. After doctors place her in a medically induced coma, Frank remains at Maggie’s side where he talks to her and gradually works up the courage to explain his silence. What does the future hold for
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a slam bam debut! The title refers to the protagonists, husband and wife, Frank and Maggie, who have not been speaking for six months. They have been married for FORTY years. In my estimation the title also refers to their daughter Eleanor. As a young adult she is effectively using the silent treatment on both of her parents. For the first half of the book, the author does an amazing job of being the voice of Frank. In the second half of the book, the writing is narrative but we hear Mag ...more
Jamie
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a beautifully heartbreaking book that I won’t soon forget.

This follows the story of Frank & Maggie, a couple married for forty years, however they haven’t spoken in 6 months. Having enough Maggie takes sleeping pills and ends up in a coma. It’s the. That Frank begins to speak. He tells the story of how they met, fell in love and everything in between. His love and devotion is unwavering.
Soon we see the story through Maggie’s eyes and it’s just as heartbreaking. I cried so many ti
Michele
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find it hard to believe that this is a debut novel! The writing is superb, the story unfolds beautifully, wrenchingly at times. Though the topics addressed are by no means light or breezy, there is still so much joy, this honest portrayal of a marriage, of a family. I highly recommend and will be looking for more from Ms Greaves in the future!
Lena
Aug 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very poorly crafted but at the same time overly constructed. There is just no room for real emotions or anything that counts as natural. The feelings of the characters are forced onto the reader without really being believable. Many situations that are described seem rigid and only there to lead up to a certain path but not really thought through. The storyline is pretty simplistic and conservative and gets repetetive from around the middle of the book onwards, where the same story is basically ...more
Juana
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, arc, fiction
** I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest and unbiased review **

This book enthralled me on so many levels that it is almost difficult for me to find the words to explain why it’s a novel I’d recommend. The voice of the two main characters, Frank and Maggie, is so powerful that I really felt as if I was intruding in their lives, peeking at their diaries, at their most intimate moments.

Both characters feel so real that, even with the mystery of the secret that led
Vicki (MyArmchairAdventures)
THE SILENT TREATMENT is a beautiful, emotional debut read and I absolutely loved it! Also, I will caveat that gushing review with the fact that I’m probably the perfect audience for this book. After reading the reviews, I understand that someone who hasn’t been married for many years or who doesn’t have kids, wouldn’t experience the same connection with Frank and Maggie that I did. It gave me all the feels and was absolutely relatable.
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
The Silent Treatment, by Abbie Greaves is a heart-breaking story of love, life, parenthood and relationships. An exceptional debut.

Synopsis: Frank and Maggie have been in love and have been married for a long time. But, for the past six months they have lived in complete silence. Frank has suddenly withdrawn and hasn’t breathed a word to his wife in this time. Maggie doesn’t know why and the silence has been eating away at her. Six months of silence has passed until Frank finds his wife on the k
Erin (erinevelynreads)
“The little things that no one sees that could make the biggest changes of all”

The Silent Treatment opens on Maggie, a woman in her 70s, as she swallows a handful of sleeping pills and is taken to the hospital. Her loyal husband Frank, who has not uttered a word to Maggie in six months, is completely devastated. While Maggie is unconscious Frank tells her the story of their life together starting with the two of them meeting, hoping to convince Maggie to regain consciousness and come back to him
Mary Lou
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frank has not spoken to Maggie, his wife of forty years, in six months.
Maggie is now critically ill in hospital and Frank has little time to explain why he has been silent for so long.
I’m afraid this book was not for me. I revisited the blurb on Netgalley to clarify my inappropriate selection but the summary is actually vague enough to mislead me. Let me just stress, the problem lies with me, many will absolutely love this book.
I may be pedantic, but I like an accurate backdrop against which a s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
The silent treatment 1 5 Apr 21, 2020 11:42PM

• Six Wicked Reasons
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • The Other You
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • Little White Lies
  • You Let Me In
  • Bury Them Deep (Inspector McLean #10)
  • Such a Fun Age
  • How Much of These Hills Is Gold
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • Seven Signs of Life: Stories from an Intensive Care Doctor
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The German Heiress
  • The First Time I Saw You
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • 20th Victim (Women's Murder Club, #20)
  • The Girl at the Window
  • The Foundling
Abbie Greaves is the author of THE SILENT TREATMENT (2020) and THE ENDS OF THE EARTH (UK) / ANYWHERE FOR YOU (US) which is forthcoming in April 2021.

When she's not writing, she enjoys modern calligraphy, travelling for inspiration and reading - the greatest hobby of all. She lives in the UK.

Follow her on Instagram: @abbiegreavesauthor.