Start by marking “Home Truths” as Want to Read:
Home Truths

Home Truths

How far would you go to keep your family safe?

Angie Watts had the perfect ordinary family. A new home. A beloved husband. Three adored children.

But Angie’s happy life is shattered when her son Liam falls in with the wrong crowd. And when her son’s bad choices lead to the murder of her husband, it’s up to Angie to hold what’s left of her family together.

Her son is missing
Published August 22nd 2019 by HarperCollins

Start your review of Home Truths
Maureen
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
* 3.5 stars *

Home Truths’ could have come straight from the news headlines, portraying as it does, the problem of county line gangs that infiltrate small communities, preying on vulnerable children, turning them into addicts or couriers, or both! It also deals with the issues of internet predators and ruthless landlords - something that is both shocking and heartbreaking. However, if it all sounds like doom and gloom, it really isn’t, because what does stand out in this novel is the love for on
Louise Wilson
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angie Watts has three children. She's a widow who is still coming to terms with the brutal murder of her husband, Steve and the disappearance of her eldest son Liam. Liam had once been a loving son but he gets into a notorious gang that brings trouble to their door.

This is a well written story. The characters are true to life and the circumstances that they find themselves in are current and poignant. It covers the unfair ways hat Uni resale Credits were handed out and the effects that this had
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Maybe she could talk to Ivan… but no sooner had the thought entered her head than she dismissed it… he’d just channel the vicar and start spouting passages from the Bible, as if holy words were some sort of universal panacea that held the answer to everything.

Angie started to speak, but only a sob came out. “Please don’t be kind to me… it's making me cry and I've already made a big enough fool of myself."

My Review:

This emotive, heartbreaking, and thoughtfully written book has rui
Pauline
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Angie's young son Liam is missing and he is known to be part of a local gang.
When her husband tries to track Liam down he is brutally murdered in front of his son.
This leaves Angie on her own to look after her other two small children.
After she loses her job as a teaching assistant due to council cuts, she finds it very difficult to survive on her benefits.
This is a gritty crime drama and not my usual genre. I found the content hard to read in parts.
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK, Har
Amanda
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Susan Lewis, this emotional story is so beautifully written in a way that will capture you’re heart and made me shed a few tears.

In a blink of an eye Angie’s life is turned upside down, how one decision dramatically changed Angie’s and her children’s life’s forever!!

When Angie’s husband Steve finds their five year old son with a syringe Steve seeing red goes looking for their eldest son Liam, and is attacked.

Angie not only loses her husband that night but when she finds out
Ken
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping emotional page turner as Angie's life is shattered after the death of her husband, the ramifications which soon spiral out of control as Angie is facing eviction after mounting debts soon escalate.

The situation Angie finds herself in is horrific enough, her struggles are compounded by the fact her Steve confronted the group that their eldest son Liam has fallen into after the couple's youngest son Zac aged 5 is playing with a needle.
The altercation ends tragically.

Angie's task of tryi
Mandy White
I used to read Susan Lewis' books all the time when I was younger. Earlier this year I read One Minure Later and balled my eyes out and just loved it so much. I jumped at the chance to read Home Truths but I really struggled with it. For me it didn't feel like a Susan Lewis book at all. It didn't have the characters to fall in love with and want to succeed. This book was a lot rougher than her usual books and I was disappointed. In saying that it was an OK read but I was hoping for more.

Angie's
Bookread2day
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My review of Home Truths is on my website. www.bookread2day.wordpress.com

I have beautiful pictures of the hardcover and review of this book on my website.

I'm a big fan of Susan Lewis, I have actually read eight books by Susan Lewis, Home Truths is my 9th. Susan Lewis over the years has written about all different subjects. Home Truths was a story that reduced me to tears, with its difficult subjects.

Angie and Steve's young five year old son is found with a syringe.

Her eldest son was trouble he
Mark
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book shows the horribly realistic decent into poverty and helplessness that one woman, Angie Watt’s ( yep I pictured THAT Angie all the way through as well ) life takes after a spiralling set of circumstances take over her life.
Written in ‘real speak’ the book covers horrific spouse murder, a missing drug taking teenager, poverty ( real poverty, not having to get rid of Sky Movies poverty), homelessness, debt, county line gangs, despair and many other related topics to these things, it is r
Bookread2day
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Angie and Steve's young five year old son is found with a syringe.

Her eldest son was trouble he got expelled from school, but even more trouble is looming with Liam.

Angie was so happy she could live anywhere just her and her husband and their child
Hallie Szott
3.5

Her life is not one she would have picked for herself—a dead husband, a missing son, an imminent eviction—but Angie Watts cannot give up. She desperately wants to make ends meet and settle into a new normal, whatever that may be, but obstacle after obstacle stands in her way.

Home Truths conveys this challenging experience with ease. Though there are points in the book where nothing seems to be happening, I still could not stop reading. I just wanted something to go right for Angie and her fa
Angela Molloy
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've read so many Susan Lewis books over the years and loved them but this was a disappointment. I found the characters annoying, there was no proper story to it, no twists. The ending was ridiculous and unbelievable. Was glad to finish this one!
Asheley
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
3.5/5

Angie and Steve have three children. Their oldest son, Liam, is addicted to drugs and is involved with a violent gang. The same gang ends up violently killing Steve while their son watches on, and Angie ends up banning Liam from coming back to the house. Angie does everything she can to scrape together a life for herself and her remaining two children after Steve’s murder, but she isn’t able to make things work out before getting evicted from the home they all shared together in happier tim
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This book grabbed me right at the beginning and me hooked right to the end. One decision, and it changed the lives of Angie and her family forever. This is another of those stories that had me in tears at some points, angry at others and cheering partway through this story. I sit her, a rather privileged woman and am feeling guilty that I do not do enough to help others in need. When Angie finds herself a widow, not making enough money to pay her rent and her taxes she ends up facing eviction. W ...more
Sue Plant
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: susan-lewis
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this insightful book

this will hit a lot of nerves with some people with what is happening with todays society....gangs, drugs, benefits, universal credit...the good and the bad in society its all in this book

very well written and the characters could be the person next door..your best friend or a work colleague...its life ats its best and worst...

well worth a read
Lori Tatar
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Home Truths packs a wallop. It is a story of a gritty widow and her family, from being solidly middle-class to homeless, to maybe something more, and enduring unspeakable violence that tears her family apart. The story illustrates how even the most solid members of society are often just a hair’s breadth away from losing everything, and illustrates just as well that there is always hope, even redemption.
Rachel Hall
Initial insight into a family in crisis facing debt and eviction debased by a far-fetched second half.

Home Truths focuses on the very relevant themes surrounding the harrowing turn that mother of three, Angie Watt’s, life has taken since her eldest son, Liam, fell prey to a notorious local gangs influence and her husband’s attempt to put a stop to his son’s descent ended with him paying the price with his life. Two years on, having thrown Liam out of the family home and his involvement in his fa
Kathryn Watts
I have to say, this book went in a different direction to what I expected - but I enjoyed this insight into difficult circumstances.
Miriam Smith
Susan Lewis is the bestselling author of over forty novels based on family drama, thriller, suspense and crime genres. “Home Truths” is her latest publication and is a powerfully emotive family drama, focusing on how far you would go to keep your family safe.
Angie’s happy life is shattered when her son Liam falls in with the wrong crowd and leads to her husband’s murder. It is left to her to hold what’s left of the family together. With her son missing and her daughter looking for help in danger
Deb
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the authors name feels familiar, I have failed to find what else from her I have read.

While being a work of fiction, there were some real issues dealt with which made me pause. I say pause because we (most of the country) have heard about the pit falls of Universal Credit. That of course isn’t the only link but I think that’s enough to give you an idea of the emotions and practicalities this story tells.

Home Truths, really is just that. Life, death, wins and losses plus what can come with
Bridget
Susan Lewis has really mastered the art of taking a topical subject relevant in today's society and making a good story from it without going overboard. Home Truths is a well written, emotionally-charged story, but it was not what I was expecting.

In this book some very sensitive and real subjects are explored such as debt and potential homelessness. Angie has lost her husband to drug related gang violence and her eldest son has vanished. Her debts have spiralled out of control and she is at risk
Miriam Smith
☕Brenda☕
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
It had real depth to the plot, storyline, and characters.
I felt truly invested in them, and their struggles and successes, their bad luck and good fortune, their fears and joys, as well as the sadness.
Thank you to the Publisher, Author, and BC Girls for making this book available.
This review will also be placed on Goodreads.
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Angie's life spirals out of control after the violent death of her husband. We follow her as her eldest son goes missing and her debts snowball. Her 13 year old daughter Grace would do anything to help her Mom eventually putting herself in danger.

The problem with this book is it sounds like a thriller but isn't one. I was constantly waiting for a twist or something dramatic to happen and that never came. It has multiple themes that should have packed a punch - trafficking, drugs, crime rings, s
Vivienne
My thanks to HarperCollins for an eARC via NetGalley of Susan Lewis’ ‘Home Truths’ in exchange for an honest review.

Angie Watts happy life is shattered when her husband is savagely murdered by a local gang and her son, Liam, disappears after being cleared of involvement. Now a single mother with two children, it’s not long before she is struggling financially.

A cascade of horrible things happens to Angie that sees her threatened with eviction from her rental home and homelessness. At times it is
Tea Leaves and Reads
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Her son is missing. Her daughter is looking for help in dangerous places. And Angie is fighting just to keep a roof over their heads.

How many contemporary social issues can you get into one b
Carolyn
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a dark and decidedly gritty novel dealing with those who have descended into poverty, and face a daily battle to survive at the bottom of the societal heap. It is very realistic, addressing social issues sadly very relevant in England today, such as debt, homelessness and Universal Credit.

Our protagonist, Angie, is trying to come to terms with the violent death of her husband, and the apparent disappearance into society's underground of her vulnerable son, Liam. You can't help but feel
Natalie Liddle
This is sadly just not my thing. I felt it lacked substance and was almost boring for two thirds of the book due to being so slow.
Nice ending but a really disappointing read for me.
I am however truly grateful to Readers First for sending me an advanced copy to read and review. I just like something a bit more detailed and gripping.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
Originally released in August 2019 with Harper Collins, Home Truths will be released in mass paperback in January 2020.

Home Truths shines a light on the reality of being faced with poverty and crippling debt, the possibility of being without a roof over one’s head.

We are very familiar with the saying of being two pay packets away from homelessness and, although we all see evidence on our streets every day of folk huddled under damp sleeping bags in a doorway, Christmas really brings it home. How
Lainy
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time taken to read - 2.5 days

Pages - 304

Publisher - Harper Collins

Source - Review Copy

Blurb from Goodreads

A mother's worst nightmare becomes a reality…

Angie Watts once had what seemed like an idyllic life: a house in a small town in the English countryside with her beloved husband Steve and their three adored children. She never could have predicted how her life would one day turn out.

When her oldest son, Liam, grows from a sweet-natured boy to a troubled teen, Angie’s world begins to crumble.

• One Minute Later
  • The Secret Keeper
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • The Family Upstairs
  • At Your Door (DCI Anna Tate, #2)
  • The Swords of Silence (The Swords of Fire Trilogy #1)
  • The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)
  • The Empty Nest
  • Date Night
  • The Bastille Spy
  • The Secret of Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #2)
  • Single
  • Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild, #2)
  • One Winter Morning
  • Her Missing Child
  • Your Deepest Fear (DS Nathan Cody #4)
  • The Doctor
  • What Happens Now?
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Born in 1956, in Bristol, my father was a Welsh miner, a poet, an engineer and a thinker. My mother was one of 13 children who, at 20, persuaded my father to spend his bonus on an engagement ring instead of a motorbike. We were a normal, happy, nuclear family, living in a spanking new council house on the outskir

News & Interviews