Start by marking “The Queen Con (The Golden Arrow #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen Con (The Golden Arrow #2)

The Queen Con

(The Golden Arrow #2)

What’s a comic book writer’s life without a real-life archnemesis?

MG Martin thought she’d turned the last page on the dangerous Golden Arrow case. The bad guys are behind bars, and the rest is up to her detective boyfriend, Matteo Kildaire. But when Golden Arrow impersonators start popping up all over Los Angeles, the writer in MG can’t help but be intrigued. Are they impo
Published July 9th 2019 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about The Queen Con, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen Con

Kelly
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Color me lucky. I read an early copy of this bad boy, and it was as awesome as the first. So vivid and witty, with all the who-done-it fun I adore in Molin's writing. So good!
Taylor Holt
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
MG is a gal after my own heart. Having loved THE FRAME-UP, I was stoked that THE QUEEN CON was available on NetGalley.
I really enjoy Meghan Scott Molin's writing style. These books are chock-full of quippy lines, all the nerdy references, and very real characters.
I loved that this novel focused on MG's best friend, L, the consummate drag queen. It's a culture that many are now interested in because of Rupaul's Drag Race, and Molin highlights how involved the costuming, character develo
Whitney
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Solid 3 stars for me. I received an early copy of this book courtesy of Netgalley and 47North Publishing and in turn I’m giving my honest review.

It was definitely great to see MG and the gang back at it again, solving crime and taking names. I also loved that we got to see more Lawrence in this one. I’m pretty Ute he’s my favorite character so I’ll take as much of him as I can get.

Just like with the first book in the series, the pop culture references were a bit too heavy for me. Some of them s
Lena
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cops-fbi, netgalley
318255E1-829C-420B-A59B-8E4E5D8D7F3A.jpg

That was fun!

Drag queens, drugs, mystery, romance, superheroes, nerd love, and murder!

I enjoyed the emotional journey of our Yin Yang couple, Michael-Grace and Mateo.

Mateo is crush-worthy.

The mystery was not as good as book one but overall it felt like a better book. Probably because MG is less prickly and the characters are so likable they feel like old friends.

And the nerd love! For the love of Thor give me book three soon!

“For a few moments, I let the worries fall away, and do what I lov
Katherine Riley
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege and great pleasure of reading an advance copy of THE QUEEN CON. I devoured it much as I did its predecessor, THE FRAME UP. There was no lessening here, no sense of plateauing and waiting that we often see in the second book of trilogies. These books are unputdownable. In fact, I loved this second one even more. MG is growing, coming into herself, not sitting down but standing up and speaking. Her voice from the start has been so strong and funny and clever. The plot is intric ...more
Nichole
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favourite geeky detective!

5 out of 5 stars!

Now since this is book two in the Golden Arrow Mysteries series, it will be hard to review… while not giving away any spoilers. But I will do my absolute best!

Meghan’s writing is impeccable. Perfect balance between, plot, dialog, suspense and romance. I knew I always loved thrilling detective reads, but it’s not till Meghan shared her masterpieces with the world that I realised how much I needed my favourite geeky detective read!

Comics, super heroes,
MaríaLuisa
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
✨ 3.5 stars! ✨

This second book in The Golden Arrow series was as entertaining as the first one and as full of all the geeky references I love too. The first half was maybe a little slow, but the last third of the book is really action-packed and kept me at the edge of my seat.

Even though I had my suspicions about the identity of the Golden Arrow since the end of the previous book, this one managed to have me thinking those suspicions were 100% right one moment and second-guessing them the next
Thomas
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just as MG, and her friends are feeling secure that the bad guys are in jail.
A new drug lord has appeared, and signs that the Golden Arrow is once again on the move has the police and MG as a consultant going in circles.
As they start to close in, the people Michael Grace Martin cares the most about start getting seriously hurt.
She has to put a plan in place, even if it involves those she doesn't care about to help bring out the new baddie.

Another story, that although it started slow finish wi
Mike Chen
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As fun and witty as the first in the series, THE QUEEN CON is like meeting back up with old friends. This adventure feels like the perfect follow up to THE FRAME UP -- the characters are back, but they're evolving, the situation goes deeper into relationships and themes, all while retaining the trademark wit and geeky references (just wait til you get to the pizza and the dumpster). I wish MG and L were real people who could hang out with me, but I'll just have to settle on having this series.
May 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
There is a lot going on in this book; too much for the author to manage. It feels very similar to the first book, but there, the adventure felt mad-cap and zany. By book two, it feels like we have a character who doesn't know her own mind and can't set boundaries, and a story that has an extra couple of plots thrown in. Definitely a promising author, but we're not quite there yet.
Steven Mastroyin
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Sue
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had high expectations for The Queen Con, the much anticipated follow-up to the Golden Arrow Mysteries series starter, The Frame-Up (which I gave a 5 star review). I was not disappointed. This twisty-mystery book cemented my position as enthusiastic nerd herd devotee. This book has it all: Superheros, Comic book Nerds, Gamer Geeks, Drag Queens, intrigue and romance all neatly wrapped up in a witty, adventure-filled ride the reader can’t help but enjoy. Case in point, the roller coaster ride of ...more
D. Starr
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teens - Adult
Nerds, Superheroes, and Drag Queens

No sex
No objectionable language
No cringeworthy violence (Encounters are all action not gore)

The Golden Arrow, a comic book superhero, apparently has become very real. Drug dealers are being restrained and turned over to the police. Yet, is this the REAL Golden Arrow from book one, or is it an imposter with a sinister agenda?
Meanwhile competing drag queens' venues are being disrupted by either the Golden Arrow or an imposter or drug lords. MG, our main charact
Amy T. - Book lover!
Thanks to NetGalley for my free ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. I was so disappointed in Meghan Scott Molin's second book in The Golden Arrow series, The Queen Con. I had read The Frame-Up (book 1) and loved it! It was fast-paced, read like a comic book, had characters we cared about, and infused a lot of popular Geek culture. I had high hopes for The Queen Con, but it failed miserably. The story didn't go anywhere really. The author relied too heavily on character development ...more
Neonila

I might have gone into The Queen Con with too many expectations because I didn't really enjoyed it as much as I hoped I would. I just loved The Frame-Up so much that I expected this book to wow me as well. It was nowhere near bad, and I liked it overall, but I was a bit let down.

I think that the love triangle situation was a bit unnecessary, to be honest, and we shouldn't have resorted to that as an option to keep the plot going. Also, the first half of this book just wasn't all that in
Roxanne Spencer
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Golden Arrow series is great fun to read if you're versed in geek girl culture--you don't need to be expert, but should have at least some knowledge of comics, anime, gaming, cos-play, sci-fi and fantasy among others to appreciate this book. In this book, MG returns to pursue the unknown vigilante, the Golden Arrow, while balancing the multiple facets of her career--a part-time comic writing gig, a budding costume design business, and liaison between Genius comics and a movie studio--and her ...more
Liz Etnyre
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read! This book is very much a continuation of the story from the first book. I wish there had been more of a recap for those of us who did not read the books back to back. I was a bit rusty on some of the characters and their relationships, as well as some of the details in the first book that apply to the events in the second book. I eventually got up to speed, but a few paragraphs worth of 'in the last episode' recap, or even just a dozen random sentences, or sentence fragments, worth of ...more
Katie Mac
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can equate my experience reading this series with spending too much time with people who I don't actually get along with very well.

The first book was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed Molin's introductions of these goofy characters and a fledgling mystery, but by the end of this book I realized her characters are either not fleshed out well or are unlikeable, and she doesn't have as good a grip on her plot points now that the mystery is more complicated. The half-hearted attempt at a romantic confl
Leslie Hasty
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Too much nerdy fun!

Absolutely a FUN read!
These characters are real and believable, and the author gets you to empathize with their unique challenges and viewpoints.
If that's not enough for you, she also tells a twisty, turny, fun nerdy mystery that the main character (Michael-Grace, aka MG) is attempting to solve along with her best friends Ryan and Lawrence. Along the way, MG is finding out that she's not nearly as alone in the world as she thought, that the people around her mostly care about
Lori McMullen
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally. Finally found the time to finish. Finally. Jumping back into the action, Meghan Scott Molin reminded me why I looked forward to this second installment. The multiple storylines, the mystery, the romance, what’s not to love about this book? Drag queens. Drug dealers. Comic books. Exploding pizza. Yes,it all comes together. I’ve enjoyed seeing the characters creative process and I hope that there is a book three, so we can see where MG and her detective take their relationship. Phew, fina ...more
Michael Garin
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
A disappointing sequel

The Frame Up was such a brilliant novel. I just couldn't wait for the sequel and pre-ordered it the moment Amazon made it available.
Unfortunately, The Queen Con just didn't live up to my expectations for so many reasons. The author had such a wonderful set of characters, ones I actually cared about, but couldn't elevate them or the plotting to the promise of her first incredible novel.
It was a bit of work to finish the book, but I saw it through to the end.
Brooke
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had better things to say about this book than "it was fine." The first chapter started out running and I really can't stand books that don't give a little setting structure or backdrop before getting into the meat of it all. People don't start out conversations that way, so why should a book?
Overall it was a light read with nice references for all those people who refer to themselves as "geeks" and, though I don't consider myself one, I enjoyed it.
Kimberly D.
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Michael W. Nason
This is the second book by Meghan Scott Molin and it is even better than her first, The Frameup, which I really enjoyed. In this book, Michael Grace is taken into a darker world where the mystery of the Golden Arrow continues. The characters are all there who we met in The Frameup so reading this book makes you feel you have come home to old friends. The Author is very talented and writes well. I highly recommend this book.
Dana
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it, but not as much as the first one. I'm not nearly as nerdish as MG, but I get a lot of the references. I'd have like to seen more of the secondary characters brought in. Hopefully they can be better integrated in future stories.

(view spoiler)
Morgen
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a rather fast, but fun read for me. I couldn't put it down. I loved all of the nods to different fandoms in this story. I will say that while I knew who the GA was the entire time, I had a really hard time pinpointing who The Hatter was. I kept thinking it was one person and then read more and find out it wasn't. I am a little disappointed that we didn't find out what happened to the GA at the very end.
Bekah Graham
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS

I could hardly wait for this second book in THE series! Since it was a bit i would have liked a little "character" refresher as people are brought back in the story. Otherwise I LOVED IT!!! I want more MG!! she is fresh and funny and loves her friends ....All the characters seem so real. I hope book 3 is coming soon!!!
Shoshana Frank
Made it about half way through the story. I loved the first book but this plot didn’t grab me or peak my interest. Maybe because I found the character too disorganized and not developing or because I couldn’t follow the leaps in plot the author made. I really wanted to like it and might try again in the future.
Michelle
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Queen Con is the next adventure featuring MG and her band of friends and drag queens. Full of witty dialogue and nerdy one-liners, The Queen Con is fun, exciting, and full of action.
Thank you to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read and review this title. All opinions are my own.
Caleb Halstead
Aug 06, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am confused about having received this book. You have several books listed for me that you indicate I have "shelved" and I have not knowingly selected or shelved any books based on Goodreads recommendations. I did not select The Queen Con, I have not read it and, at this point do not plan to read it unless I run out of other titles that are of more interest to me.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Page numbering request 5 19 Jul 19, 2019 01:06PM

The Golden Arrow (2 books)
  • The Frame-Up (The Golden Arrow #1)
“No one at the office ever cares that my hair is colored—I love that about my workplace—but I try to draw the line at looking like a ragamuffin. I make a mental note that I need a color, because while I’m #grayhairdontcare, I don’t like to let it go too long.” 0 likes