Start by marking “High-Performance Entrepreneur” as Want to Read:
High-Performance Entrepreneur

High-Performance Entrepreneur

Difficult though setting up a business is, becoming a high-performance entrepreneur is harder still. And yet of the many thousands who try, there are those who go on to become successful, some even graduate to setting up companies that hold their own against the toughest competition, becoming icons of achievement. In "The High-Performance Entrepreneur", Subroto Bagchi, ...more
Published October 30th 2006 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about High-Performance Entrepreneur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High-Performance Entrepreneur

Start your review of High-Performance Entrepreneur
Kandhasamy Muthu
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhere in the middle of this 200 and odd pages book shines the thought: " While there is no denying the fact that starting something new is a creative act and requires a very generative, nurturing mindset, there is a general misconception that the essence of the start-up process is devoid of process-oriented thinking and action."

Subroto Bagchi, the author, brilliantly weaves his idea of an almost perfect entrepreneur in a scientific manner. And to think that one can derive science out of the
Vijay S Paul
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
For a book that is supposed to add value, I was much irritated by the constant mention of Mindtree every ten words. Appreciate the fact that he has shared his experiences as the founder, but the constant mention of "Mindtree this, Mindtree that" was a bit too much for the nerves. Could have been better modelled as "Zero to One", which though showcases Peter Theil's learnings, doesn't sound at all "pushy".
Divya
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Few years before, I read this book. It still holds the top rack of my bookshelf@home. I found it very inspiring for the new upcoming professionals or people seeking entrepreneurship. It gave the insight of a startup life. and it explains about the concepts of branding, DNA,Mission, Business Plan , Choosing the right team..etc. Overall this book is good for the new comers to feel the atmosphere of the startups.
Anish Kumar
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book might be good for those who are unaware of startup world. But, I felt i have read all these on some blogs. Because why startups fail,when to do startup, IPO,etc,. information regarding anything can be found online. And also i found it a bit boring.
Piyush Rawat
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Very demonstratively written, the book is one of the better guides out there - that'd help one understand, & create your own blueprint of enterprise formation.
A relevant read for any Indian IT startup aspirant.
Poorna Tej
A broad and general good read for starters who r making it to the world of entrepreneurship. Illustrated with good examples that are relevant for the subcontinent.
Roshan
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: critiqued
The High Performance Entrepreneur is indeed a book with golden rules for establishing an organization or a start-up. The author of the book Subroto Bagchi shares his experience as an entrepreneur with a shrewd analysis on skills to be acquired to make the start, while concisely prescribing several business essentials needed to make a lasting impact in the world of business and information technology. The book briefly resuscitates in the minds of the readers, the conventional approach of ...more
Karandeep
This book is not a 'How to' but more of a 'How I did it'.
The book takes you through how Mindtree began and the learnings of the founder. It's basically an interview with a CEO over a cup of coffee where he narrates how things function in his company and what he thinks people should also be implementing.

The book shines in parts and has a lot of important things a new entrepreneur should/could learn but also has points that I disagreed with.

You can skip pages and still not miss much.
Sheece
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful read for a budding entrepreneur. It will answer many questions in your mind, will caution you, and most importantly motivate you.

What is striking about the book is that it feels very humble, and genuine. By the time I finished the book, I had great respect for Mr. Bagchi.
Prakhar Chandna
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This guide from the co-founder of MindTree talks about every aspect of the entrepreneurial journey from the business plan to IPO. I don't think it could have been expressed in a more succinct and simple manner.
Raj Singh
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book for anyone even remotely contemplating entrepreneurship.
It gives ditailed process, questions about why and how to start or not to stay businesses.
2nd delves into growing and building the business.
Sreeram Venkitesh
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author keeps on quoting his own venture, MindTree. Other than that, it is an interesting book to read.
Urvish Patoliya
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book for those who want to venture into business. It talks about planning to execution as well as fundraising and listing.
Zawwad Sami
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too good
Vikram Iyer
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
THis book demonstrated the journey undertaken by the author, from 0 to building MindTree :)
I suggest reading this book
Priyanka Naik
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Mr. Subroto Bagchi. I love the way he articulates his ideas and helps readers to connect to them easily.

The High-Performance Entrepreneur is another gem from his armoury. As a working professional who dreams of starting up one day, this gives a good insight into the various aspects and intricacies of entrepreneurship. However, it could be a little redundant for the experienced entrepreneurs, as it only touches a tip of the entrepreneurship iceberg.

It also has lot of similarities
Andrew
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People in Starting a Business
Shelves: business
This is a surprisingly informative book from a top Indian entrepreneur who helped start mindtree.com. Bagchi has a very clear set of insights to entrepreneurship, many of which obviously cross over into mature enterprises, including non-profits. The writing is easy to follow and does not require an MBA. It is a good book to set the guiding principles of an organization.
Ganesh Sanal
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs from India
Recommended to Ganesh by: Vinod Gopal
A valuable read especially relevant for the Indian entrepreneur. It tells us how entrepreneurship is a lot more about processes and human values than we believe. It would have been even better if more case studies from organizations other than MindTree could be quoted.
Ashay
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
my first book on entrepreneurship. Though post being in this journey, this book is a guideline to scale a company and make it more process oriented. I think this book has helped me develop my core of being slightly process oriented.
gramakri
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This is certainly a "must read" for any budding entrepreneur who wants to build a high-performance organization. However the scope of the book is limited to author's views and experience with Mindtree which is an IT company.
Mastmaula Ram
it is a book which gives you lots of practical advice about starting a business .. and all the philosophical questions are covered in it.
starting from the idea to implementation. A must read for anyone who want to start a new business.
A sure Book to read if you go by my advice.

Manohar
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, inspiration
Good Book, written only from his experience in starting MindTree. Even the many are applicable to start-ups, the start-up as such might not have any intricate planning as explained in the book. "It Just Happens".
Arun
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First and best book by Subroto Bagchi.
Vishal Biyani
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very practical book by Subroto Bagchi.
If you want to understand Subroto, visit : http://guru-words.blogspot.com/search...
Amit Negi
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another book finished by Mr. Subroto Bagchi, nuggets of wisdom and clearly written business plan for budding entrepreneur.. Must go for it..!
Vamsi Tellakula
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Definitely recommended for those who wanna START
Sandip Bhadani
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good description for how you can go ahead in building an enterprise.

It is as difficult and as simple as growing child . . ..
Raaj Jadaun
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book. Certainly for product based entrepreneurs. dotcom entrepreneurs can let it pass.
Subramanian Sankaran
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant handbook for aspiring and ongoing entrepreneurs
Gaurang Swarge
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Very much honest and frank book on what it takes to become a high performing entrepreneur

• It Happened In India: The Story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the Great Indian Consumer
  • Forbes® Greatest Business Stories of All Time
  • Connect The Dots
  • The Game Changers: 20 extraordinary success stories of entrepreneurs from IIT Kharagpur
  • Sam Walton: Made In America
  • The Habit of Winning
  • Jack: Straight from the Gut
  • Simply Fly
  • Can Love Happen Twice?
Subroto Bagchi is best known for co-founding MindTree in 1999 where he started as the Chief Operating Officer. MindTree is among India’s most admired companies across industries. In 2008, Bagchi took on the role of Gardener at MindTree.

In this new role, Bagchi spends one-on-one time with the Top-100 leaders at MindTree on their ‘personal-professional’ issues to expand leadership capacity and build
“How does Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw choose one idea over another? She asks herself seven questions. Do I have a basic understanding of the area? Do I know something about what is happening in the larger space of that idea? How will I build differentiation, particularly if the idea is a common product? How do I make it affordable and at the same time, deliver high value? Wherever there is a collaborator involved in the ideation process, how do I create larger leverage through the relationship beyond just that one idea? Do I know upfront who will be a paying customer and how I will go about marketing my idea? Finally, do I have conviction about the idea?” 2 likes