Start by marking “Saving Lucy: A girl, a bike, a street dog” as Want to Read:
Saving Lucy: A girl, a bike, a street dog

Saving Lucy: A girl, a bike, a street dog

Ishbel Rose Holmes was adrift and alone when she set out to bicycle across the world. She was pedalling across Turkey when a street dog, Lucy, crossed her path and changed her life forever.

Ishbel did not want anything or anyone to slow her down, but when she witnessed Lucy attacked by other dogs, Ishbel rescued her—forming a deep bond between the pair. Ishbel recognized he
Published October 24th 2018 by VeloPress (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Lucy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Lucy

Start your review of Saving Lucy: A girl, a bike, a street dog
Ben Rhodes
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
aWow! I am an American who has rescued a few street dogs and cats myself! It is a labor of love! Thanks for reminding me of that! I also had a less than perfect relationship with my Mom. Finally, I realized she just didn't like me much. God has been great to me and that's what keeps me going.😊 I adore dogs and cats and have rescued several myself. Thanks for reminding me how very blessed we are to have dogs and cats in our lives. As for your cycling trips, you go,girl!😊

Great to give a delightfu
David L.
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible Book

This story grabs your heart and never lets go. Isabel, the author, is an incredible young woman. The story of her healing from a dysfunctional upbringing is amazing. Her rescue of a street dog in Turkey is full of adventure, and her ability to adjust to all kinds of experiences keeps your interest riveted to her story.
Lartemis
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, scary, gentle, sad, thought-provoking book. I listened to the audiobook on "hoopla" read by Lucy Rayner. What a wonderful Scottish accent! She added so much to my enjoyment of this book.

The dog's name is Lucy, the narrator's name is Lucy, and the listener's name is Lucy. What's not to like?
norma baker
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
finding the love of a street dog in Turkey

Ishbel suffered from the the lack of personal, loving relationships during her formative years. This lack of experience stunted her social growth but she found immense love from a street dog in Turkey that adopted her. Read this wonderful book to learn more.
Ann Balaban
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book

This was a wonderful story. Of course I cried at the end but the whole book was so good I couldn't put it down. Now I'm going online to make a donation to Lucy's Legacy. Thank you for all your good work.
Sam
May 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much as I admire what Ishbel Holmes was doing travelling around the world, this was not my kind of travel book - not enough travel and landscape too much Ishbel lurching from one crisis to another.
Lisa Loop
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 is for the story

Ishbel, you have touched my heart with your boundless courage and capacity for love. Thank you for sharing your story.
Audiobook Accomplice (Gillian)
Two damaged souls—coming together. Not to be missed!
My Full Review
Madalene
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story probably reads better as a series of social media posts (which it originally was) with photos - the connection the author feels to Lucy is strong, but reads (audiobook version) as a insistence to demand care for a single dog in a country that doesn't generally allow dogs inside and sees them as bad luck - leading to a sense of a mismatch in culture, rather than a tough world vs. one woman and her new dog friend. Also, sounds like biking in Turkey as a individual woman is awful! Very d ...more
Colleen
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 4 of my #2019readingchallenge is "Saving Lucy" by Ishbel Rose Holmes. It's a quick read, the story of a young woman who plans to cycle the world but instead gets trailed by a pup who changes her life. They stick through the worst, traveling in rural Turkey towards Syria, jumping from wild campsites to friends' homes. It is way stressful.

So, yeah, there are obstacles, and yes, this is the story about the love of a dog so you know it's gonna hurt A LOT, but it was an engaging and fascinating
Jacquelin
Aimee picked this out for me because I'm a sucker for rescued dogs
AnnMarie Johnson
Jul 02, 2020
Jill
Dec 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Family Next Door: The Heartbreaking Imprisonment of the Thirteen Turpin Siblings and Their Extraordinary Rescue
  • The Rescue at Dead Dog Beach: One Man's Quest to Find a Home For the World's Forgotten Animals
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
  • To the Power of Three
  • DAWGS: A True Story of Lost Animals and the Kids Who Rescued Them
  • By a Spider's Thread (Tess Monaghan #8)
  • In a Strange City (Tess Monaghan, #6)
  • No Good Deeds (Tess Monaghan #9)
  • Hachiko: The True Story of a Loyal Dog
  • Max: Best Friend. Hero. Marine.
  • The Good Psychologist
  • Will & I: A Memoir
  • The Garden of Eden and Other Criminal Delights
  • Second Watch (J.P. Beaumont, #21)
  • Two If by Sea