Start by marking “Finders Keepers: The Definitive Edition (Finders Keepers #1)” as Want to Read:
Finders Keepers: The Definitive Edition (Finders Keepers #1)

Read eBook* *Different edition

Finders Keepers: The Definitive Edition

(Finders Keepers #1)

In the spirit of The Good Place, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, author Russ Colchamiro has gone back to the future to deliver his wildest, funniest novel yet--the new and updated Sci-Fi/Fantasy tale Finders Keepers: The Definitive Edition.

When a jar containing the Universe's DNA falls from Eternity, bumbling backpackers Jas
Paperback, The Definitive Edition, 310 pages
Published November 1st 2018 by Crazy 8 Press (first published October 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finders Keepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finders Keepers

Lakshmi C
Finders Keepers is my first sci fi book in ages. What stands out is its execution - this was funny, light but clever. This makes you question the Big Bang, the dinosaurs and the Ice Age. You will be grinning through most of this.

It's a collection of odd characters with their personal agendas and end of the world hanging in the balance. From an unadventurous bacpacker to someone who hates conversation, you are entertained and engaged by everyone. There's a talking dolphin and whale as well.

The sc
Rajan
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Finders Keepers is the book one of this trilogy. What if the Gods also have systems like humans? This book is a sci-fi and has this interesting premise.

In some far off galaxy Eternitarians live who have the job of populating planets. They build eath like stystems on new planets. The story starts with an eternitarian couple Donald and Danielle. They are work crew and given a single jar of cosmic building matrial or CBM, which is universe DNA. A single drop can wipe out several star systems. They
Caroline
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-calibre
A 3.5. Enjoyable read in the spirit of Robert Rankin, and better than I expected, going by the cover (I know, don't judge a book...).

A satisfying mix of sci-fi, humour, romance and action, with a healthy dollop of backpacker existentialism thrown in.

I found it slightly hard going in places as there were lots of characters and a fair amount of jumping back and forth in space and time, but most characters were well-developed and loose ends were tied up satisfactorily at the end. Colchamiro writes
Pantopicon
This book is definitely influenced by the tradition of Douglas Adams, but falls far short in execution. I found the characterizations and interactions to be misogynistic and racist -- with no political commentary to make these choices even marginally understandable. And, I definitely wouldn't recommend this book to fans of Douglas Adams or Christopher Moore -- there's no intelligent satire here, just copy and paste approach to their stylistic techniques.
Ove
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Missing Jar of Cosmic Building Material

Finders Keepers is a humorous science fiction about god and backpacking in Europe. Not so much about god as about the people he has working for him creating the universe. Donald and Danielle steal some time from making the Milky Way to make love on the newly created earth. Unfortunately they lose a jar of cosmic building material too.

This Jar is the focal point for the two storylines that follow. One continues with Eternity and the stressful and oh so hum
Alysa H.
This is a nice genre-bender of a novel. Part sci-fi, part buddy travelogue, part comedy, part (a small one) philosophy. There were a great many interconnected characters, and their different threads are picked up and dropped over and over via lots and lots of short chapters -- perhaps too many, and some of which I cared a lot more about than others.

The core of the story, and arguably its most effective part, is the bromance between twentysomethings Jason and Theo as they traipse around Europe.
Ed Morawski
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finders Keepers
In the spirit of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'Finders Keepers' is a raunchy rollicking adventure spanning all of 'Eternity' -- and earth! The story is absurdist fun yet oddly compelling. Wildly humorous yet with a healthy dose of strange drama, so much so that it was actually difficult to put down. I wanted to see where the weird and wonderfully drawn characters ended up or did next...

I can understand why the author has difficulty classifying his works because despite trying
Mary Fan
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finders Keepers follows the adventures of Jason Medley and Theo Barnes, two hapless, bumbling backpackers who really shouldn't be trusted with anything important. So of course they stumble into a plot including a jar of the Universe's DNA, a plot that could change the fate of the entire galaxy. This fun, chaotic novel captures that madcap spirit of dudely comedies like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Not saying that only dudes can enjoy it (I, for o ...more
Paul
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've done a lot of backpacking over the years, so if you're looking for a book that captures what it's really like ... I definitely recommend Russ Colchamiro's Finders Keepers. It's hilarious.

He totally gets all the frantic running around from trains and buses and hostels and all the crazy people you meet and the places you end up that were totally unexpected.

There are also these scenes where you see the fatigue set in, and how paranoid you get thinking that anybody around you could either end u
Tammie
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I was one of the lucky winners to win a signed copy of this book on Goodreads First Reads program. This humorous science fiction book centers around an important jar containing CBM (Cosmic Building Materials)that accidently gets knocked down to Earth from Eternity by newlyweds Donald and Danielle. The important jar is subsequently picked up on Earth and now in the possession of characters Jason and Theo, while others race to find it.
I highly recommend reading "Finders Keepers"- this book is wel
Trisha Smith
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was honestly surprised at how many negative reviews this book had. I actually liked it, though it was a whirlwind of a story and was a challenge to read. But it was a challenge I enjoyed. This is a book that keeps you on your toes, and I found much of the story to be humorous, though a bit crude at times (which didn't bother me in the least). I enjoyed it, but I like this kind of book and this style of writing. I had a hard time following what was going on much of the time since there are mult ...more
RhC
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
meh …

First off: Absolutely no "science" in this work of fiction -- more of a buddy story with a fantasy twist. Unfortunately, Mr. Colchamiro has ostensibly never wandered across a continent because anyone that I ever met who has has had far better stories than are related here.

Actually, I didn't really "get" the lost jar of universal goo aspect to the fantasy. The whole subplot came out of nowhere, went nowhere, added nothing and was basically irrelevant to the story. If the search was supposed
Ally
DNF - 31%

This was a DNF for several reasons.
1. Sexism...woman are described FIRST by their breasts.
2. Black character portrayed as stereotypical ghetto for no reason and even though she has a high position at her job the story focuses more on her ghettoness and...sex.
3. Bunch of sex with no real context.
4. Book Quotes: "The hairs on her neck stood up. Her breast tightened." / "her chestnut eyes still filled out her face, round and cute-sexy"

The book had a really weird pacing with random time sk
Kathryn Parry
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my next review read on my shelf. First chapter in feels like an hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy feel to the story which is a great start for me.

Often funny and all great characters at 20%. Love all the different characters some knowing looking for the lost jar left on Earth by an accident and some stumbling into a world beyond their understanding. Loving the story so far and I'm a big Hichhicker's fan and this so far is up to that standard of writing.

Onto part two of the story. This h
Hobart
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
★ ★ ★ 1/2 (rounded up)
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---

This is a very strange ride. That might be the most important thing to take away from my experience with this book. Strange is good, strange is unique, strange is the kind of thing you can only read here (well, you can read strange SF in other places, too, but they won't be this kind of strange).

That doesn't tell you a lot, though, does it? This is the story of two twenty-something guys (one from the US, one from New
Jeremy Michael Gallen
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This lighthearted science-fiction novel opens with an excerpt of the story from a way in where Theo Barnes, one of the primary protagonists, experiences a sensation like being sucked through the universe, effectively foreshadowing the trippy nature of the narrative. Author Russ Colchamiro dedicates the book to Liz, who is “forever his girl,” and prefaces the story proper detailing its disposition as a “definitive” edition in the way Star Wars creator George Lucas “remastered” the films in his se ...more
Angela Thompson
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Give the Book a Little Time. It took me a few starts and re-starts to get into this book. From the cover, I think I thought it was more of a young adult/teen read--but, it isn't (in some ways). Initially, I thought the book was going to be more science fiction themed--but, really, it is more of an adolescent comedic adventure with a fantasy setting mixing in. I started reading and stopped reading more than a few times before I pushed through the first few chapters and caught interest in the char ...more
Jessica Bronder
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Donald and Danielle decided to spend a little me time together on a new creation. But in their distracted state a container of Cosmic Building Materials (CBM) falls to earth. A pinch of this could literally destroy or build worlds so a lot of people go on the hunt for this missing jar.

On Earth we meet Jason and Theo, two backpackers from Europe and New Zealand that have gone on a trip across Europe. These two are complete opposites but seem to complement each other. They find the jar and not kn
Beverly Laude
Reminiscent of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with a touch of Wayne's World thrown in. The book wasn't a bad book, just not a great book.

Fairly adolescent humor throughout, with some gratuitous sex thrown in. The premise of a jar of cosmic goo being lost on Earth, then found by a backpacker is unique. Some of the characters were very annoying & I wanted to slap them about half the time.

I received a copy of this book & chose to review it. I am not the biggest fan of this type of book,
James Dyar
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do not let this man dictate how the universe works...

A laugh out loud read about what you should never do when creating existence with a cast of characters should never have been put in charge of anything. Heartily recommended :)
Amy
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finders Keepers: The Definitive Edition is the beginning of Russ Colchamiro’s series, also called Finders Keepers. It tells the story of….. a radioactive jar of Universe’s DNA? And the crazy duo Jason and Theo being chased down by others from another realm all over world, such as, England, New Zealand, and other places in Eternity. They have no idea they are being followed and they have what others want. Earth and the whole solar system’s fate is in these crazy friends.

Finders Keepers: The Defi
Ester
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given the book free in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed the story and characters. We follow several characters from Eternity as they try to figure a way to retrieve a jar of CBM (Celestial Building Material) which fell to Earth during it's developmental stage. On Earth, we follow Emma and her dog, Lex, as they try to figure out how to find the jar so they can return to Eternity (after being banished to Earth). Then we follow two backpackers (Jason and Theo) who are traveling from t ...more
Alex (Briennai)
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to DNF a book, but this is one of the most confusing and poorly written books that I have ever read. I received a free copy in exchange for my honest review.

Danielle and her husband Donald are newly married, Danielle is black and her husband is white (trust me this is surprisingly important), and when they were having sex at their job of instead watching the universe, they accidentally dropped an important jar over a railing and into Earth. This jar could destroy or create a universe. If
Doug Lewars
*** Possible Spoilers ***
I agreed to act as a reviewer for this book. So, first things first – the advertisement for this book suggests that it’s imbued with the spirit of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. It isn’t.

The author appears to be targeting a demographic of males aged eighteen to twenty-five. Since I’m not in this demographic or even close, it will be difficult for me to fully evaluate the book; however, I think he succeeded in producing a story and characters that will appeal to thos
Melissa Hayden
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fun
Newlyweds, Donald and Danielle, make an unexpected stop in the Milky Way Galaxy on Earth - out and away from Eternity, their home. Not knowing this fun stop could be disastrous for them and the whole Milky Way Galaxy. They accidentally knocked their assigned jar of CBM (the Universes DNA) off a ledge into a cooling frozen humongous glacier during their hanky panky moment. Lost. Now the warehouses the jars are stored in the off hours are being inventoried and their lost jar will be caught missing ...more
Robb Bridson
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Disclosure: I received this book for free from the author through Goodreads' first reads program.

This book has its ups and downs, but ultimately it's a fascinating fantasy take with some well-developed, nuanced, interesting characters. Surprising for a book of the sci-fi/comedy genre, where it's usually more plot than character and more laughs than story.

The humor of the story is not my sort, and the philosophy underlying the story, as well as much of the slang language choices, is just plain ga
William Breen
I have two small criticisms of this book. Reading the first quarter of the book it seemed to me as if the author put chapters in random order, especially those concerning Theo. Things seemed to be happening out of sequence. I was reading it on my kindle and would have liked to go back to chapter beginnings to sort through the dates but this edition wasn't formatted to take advantage of the kindle. The other criticism I have is the portrayal of Danielle. When we are first introduced to her she co ...more
Sawney Hatton
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has read both the 2010 original and this new edition, I can honestly say the Definitive Edition is faster paced and, perhaps because of this, funnier than the previous version. The author has managed to streamline the story into something even more entertaining with more mainstream appeal.

To draw an analogy between the two editions, Hitchcock once said about his two versions of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH: “Let's say the first version is the work of a talented amateur and the second
Ray
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
If Jack Kerouac had gone On The Road, not with Neal Cassady but rather Zaphod Beebebrox, his resulting novel would have turned out much like this. Finders Keepers is full of characters trying to find, and for obvious reasons trying to keep, a jarful of Essence of Universe that fell off a warehouse shelf.

The four main threads of the book follow Donald, Jason, Emma and Theo- not necessarily in that order (or, always, with those names)- as the jar proceeds to act as a verb and jar them into and out
Barbara Desmond
I was kindly sent a copy of this book. Thank you book gods for allowing me to download it. I have an up and down history with my Fire.

This sounded like a fun book and hey it was compared to Bill and Ted so I thought I'd enjoy it. Sadly I didn't. I'm not sure if it was just me but I was confused by this book. There were two stories going on at the same time and I honestly didn't feel like it was necessary. I'm not sure what's going on with that jar and the beings that are making galaxies and what
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Mind Games (Guardian, #2)
  • Regolith
  • Caught In Time (Alysian Universe, #1)
  • Molly September
  • Down from Cascom Mountain: A Novel
  • The Road Home
  • Red Smoke Rising
  • The Way of the Eagle: An Early California Journey of Awakening
  • Kismet: Beyond the Bedroom Series
  • A Cure to Die For
  • Kendras Diaries (Growing Pains #1)
  • The Chosen (Portals of Destiny #1)
  • Maximum Ice
  • The Mission (Worlds Without End, #1)
  • Majesty's Offspring
  • Perception (Tigers' Eye, #1)
  • Angel
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
Russ Colchamiro is the author of the rollicking space opera, Crossline, the zany SF/F backpacking comedy series Finders Keepers, Genius de Milo, and Astropalooza, and is editor of the SF anthology Love, Murder & Mayhem, all with Crazy 8 Press.

Russ lives in New Jersey with his wife, two children, and crazy dog, Simon, who may in fact be an alien himself.

Russ has also contributed to several ot

Finders Keepers (3 books)
  • Genius de Milo (Finders Keepers #2)
  • Astropalooza (Finders Keepers #3)