Start by marking “Resist: Tales from a Future Worth Fighting Against” as Want to Read:
Resist: Tales from a Future Worth Fighting Against

Resist: Tales from a Future Worth Fighting Against

The arc of history is unpredictable, and no one knows where it's headed. But that's never stopped speculative fiction writers from shouting out a warning.

Join twenty-seven of today's top science fiction authors as they write about possible tomorrows we hope to avoid, drawing on challenges taken from today's headlines. Hugo and Nebula Award winners, New York Times best sell
Published November 1st 2018 by Broad Reach Publishing (first published October 19th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Resist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resist

Start your review of Resist: Tales from a Future Worth Fighting Against
Jim
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
It took me forever to get through this anthology because I was never drawn to it, so I only read it when I had nothing better to do. Given that half the proceeds go to the ACLU, I wasn't surprised that it dealt with social justice issues. That's fine, even laudable, but it's fiction & it's primary purpose is to entertain me. That means well-crafted stories that hold my interest & make a point. If it can be done subtly & with a twist at the end, that's great. Unfortunately, most of these made the ...more
Ed Erwin
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, dystopia
A mixed bag of stories around the theme of "futures worth fighting against". None of them directly attack the current POTUS, thank goodness. But still, these all have a liberal worldview and I guess you may see reflections of him in the background. Almost all are published for the first time in this collection. Sales benefit the ACLU.

The ones I will remember most:

Aware - C. Robert Cargill: A robot becomes self-aware at a time that is not economically convenient for its human co-workers. Nice twi
Lea
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Probably one of the most consistently fantastic anthologies I've ever read. All of the stories are genuinely good and very interesting. Highly recommend.
Karen
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
INCREDIBLE stories that will stay with me for a long time. Go read this right now.
SocProf
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bought for the cause (it was sold though the ACLU which will also receive the proceeds). It's a collection of stories that very heavily connect to the issues of our times and the idea of resistance to oppression in its multi-faceted forms. Being a collection, it's inevitably a mixed bag based on reader taste. The cause is worth it and they're overall good stories.

Now, who will be our Billy Grainger?
Cale
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
As with any anthology, the quality varies. In this case, from decent to amazing. It starts off a little weak (The American Ride is an interesting concept but I wasn't thrilled with the execution), and then builds into some amazing stories - the last two in particular make the book worth reading on their own. Violet Allen's "Venus Effect" will stick with me for a long time - it hammers its point home perhaps a bit heavy-handedly, but it has a very strong point to make, and Jake Kerr's "Three Spee ...more
Robert
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great anthology. The stories that most affected me were "Aware" by C Robert Cargill (tense Moon mystery), "The Arc Bends" by Kieron Gillen (dark future history), "Excerpts From the Records" by Chet Williamson (gilded horror comedy), "Catcall" by Delilah S Dawson (super power downer), & "The Venus Effect" by Violet Allen (metafiction?). Most of the other stories were great too. The only one I can't recommend is "Morel & Upwright". I felt a 1970s sci-fi vibe from it, which I can deal with, but the ...more
Stacey
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining storytelling that really makes you think.

Such a variety of stories and mix of talented writers. Every story has levels of complexity that not only entertain but also engage and challenge you to think.
Terry
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First time ever ...

I have, for the first time ever, stopped reading this provocative anthology to comment on a story that just completely sucker punched me! I'm sitting here, with my mouth open, breathing hard, and nearly crying.

As the eldest daughter of a legal philosopher, the story "LIBERTY: SEEKING SUPPORT FOR A WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS FOR A NON-HUMAN BEING" has both my heart and mind reeling! As usual, Sam P. wrote a story that simply put, will make any self-aware, humane human being SCREAM.
Mike Zyskowski
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are many an interesting short story to be found here, though few rise up the the challenge and promise of the title. This is not the F U to The Cheeto-faced Pig and his Congressional Piglets that I was looking for

That said, “Resist” has continued to build my appreciation and respect for short stories. “Aware” by C. Robert Cargill and “Bastion” by Daniel H. Wilson beg for full books/movies. “Catcall” by Delilah S. Dawson should be required reading for every junior high boy. “The Well” by La
Kenneth Buff
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one that I loved. The stories are short. They're fun, and a lot of them are classic sci-fi. The first half of this collection is really strong. My favorites (for whatever reason) were mostly the ones that featured robots or artificial intelligence. Each one of those stories in this collection explores a different aspect of what rights a machine might have in the future, and how we (humans) might interact with them. There was also a really fun one about two warring dictators who are both ...more
Chris Riddick
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this collection over an extended period of time. All the stories are themed on social issues and politics that are currently front and center. It was a very interesting collection of stories, most causing one to pause and reflect. However, the last story in the book, The Venus Effect, turned out to be the most disturbing to me. It definitely increased my awareness of how we can be consciously and subconsciously categorize an entire population, while making me wonder if there is any hope o ...more
Joanna
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must-Read

If only for the sake of "Bastion," "The Arc Bends," "Horatius and Clodia," "Upwright and Morel," "Black Like Them," this anthology is worth reading. The stories range from fun and quirky to grim, but almost all are thought- provoking. It's a perfect sci fi read for people who think they don't like the genre, because so many hot contemporary issues are imagined in the future, like gender identity and feminism, not just the nature of aliens(which is also very much worth speculating about
Lori
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great anthology with no real duds, and a lot of truly inventive, thought-provoking premises. The last story was especially well-done (and well-placed). The editors made great calls about where to put each story in relation to the others, too.

I’m not sure I can even pick favorites. Definitely they include: Catcall; The Nothing Men; Mona Lisa Smile; The Defense of Free Mind; Aware; The Arc Bends; Excerpts From the Records; The Well; The Venus Effect; Three Speeches About Bill Grainger.

And the one
Giacomo Kyle
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Wildly hit or miss short stories. Many of them are incredibly brilliant and clever. Others are profoundly "meh." The latter even tend to be riddled with occasional typos, illogical plot sequences, and incorrect references, to the point that some stories are hard to stay engaged with. But the good stories are soooo good, such as from: Hugh Howey, Chet Williamson, Charles Yu, and, perhaps best of all, Jason Arnopp.
Karl
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and super-topical short stories that look at protest and resistance. Most are Spec Fiction, some are a little more Sci Fi. Many of the stories are set against current events, stuff like: politics, big corporations, privacy, neo conservatism, Trump etc.

This could have been really earnest (theme) but I found it clever, witty, and even humorous. Not sure how well this collection will age, but it’s great for now.
Gary Bunker
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wildly uneven in tone (obviously) and quality (in my opinion), the full experience of reading "Resist" is still percolating in my brain. Some of the tales are going to hang around for a while, and others I've already forgotten. Scalzi does a great job with the tale of an ethical spaceship, and the Jake Kerr piece is pretty powerful as well. Elizabeth Bear's story almost doesn't feel like fiction, in the world of fake news promoted by people in power.
Jaye
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology, scifi
This one took me a while to finish, as I continually found other things to read, most from the library.
I bought this book based on a recommendation from one of my favorite authors. The standouts, to my eyes, are Troy L Wiggins "Black Like Them", Charlie Jane Anders' "Horatius and Clodia" and Elizabeth Bear's "What Someone Else Does Not Want Printed". Fran Wilde's "While You Wait" was a nice poetic interlude.
Lisa Boone
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this based solely on the fact that there was a story by Hugh Howey included. It did not disappoint, but I found the rest of the book to be uneven. As in any anthology, there are some stories I liked and some I didn't like. Unfortunately I didn't find any in this particular volume that I loved! Some I found incomprehensible and some I can't really say what they were about because I literally couldn't finish them. I got it through Kindle Unlimited.

Jana
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book had stories I skipped, because of language and other things. But, the stories that I did read were interesting, and some of them I really enjoyed. I just had to give it a low rating because of the ones I had to skip. Morel and Upright and Mona Lisa Smiles were my 2 favorites, and definitely worth the read.
Alicia A.
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once again, a hit or miss collection, but that's to be expected. Truly excellent were Aware by C Robert Cargill, Excerpts from the Records by Chet Williams and Three Speeches About Billy Grainger by Jake Kerr.
Though to be honest, the last story was so contrived and boring I skipped it. I skipped a few. But on the whole, most were interesting.
Adara
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed some of the stories but there were quite a few I couldn’t get into. I bought this for the Kevin Hearne story and it was meh. I wanted more from it. Even fewer made me want to check our other things written by the authors.
Alf
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of them are not too bad, but not great either. Some are just plain silly.
John
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book because I am a huge Keving Hearne/Iron Druid fan....his story was a page an a half! Sigh......
Irkalla Ethrinkah
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Some of the stories were good, some not so much.
Jess
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love short stories, but a lot of these were too short to even start getting into.
Steve Wasling
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I was very tempted to bump this up to a 4 because of how much I enjoyed 'The Nothing Men' but there were a few too many stories I didnt particularly enjoy .
Elizabeth
Aug 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
Maggie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful stories all that make you thinking what could be.
Ty McClelland
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ready read

Timely stories and subjects for today's headlines and those who aren't afraid to think for themselves. Read with an open mind.

• The End Has Come (The Apocalypse Triptych, #3)
  • The End is Nigh (The Apocalypse Triptych, #1)
  • The End is Now (The Apocalypse Triptych, #2)
  • A People's Future of the United States: Speculative Fiction from 25 Extraordinary Writers
  • Wastelands: The New Apocalypse
  • Randomize
  • Ark
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Summer Frost
  • There's No Place Like Home (Warmer Collection #4)
  • First Dangle and Other Stories
  • Wool Gathering
  • The Book of Flora (The Road to Nowhere, #3)
  • The Last Human
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Losing Mars
  • Dark Till Dawn (Silo 49, #3)
I'm the author of WOOL, a top 5 science fiction book on Amazon. I also wrote the Molly Fyde saga, a tale of a teenager from the 25th century who is repeatedly told that girls can't do certain things -- and then does them anyway.

A theme in my books is the celebration of overcoming odds and of not allowing the cruelty of the universe to change who you are in the process. Most of them are classified