Start by marking “A Kiss Before Christmas (Rory & Jack, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Kiss Before Christmas (Rory & Jack, #1)

A Kiss Before Christmas

(Rory & Jack #1)

Christmas is looming and Jack De Lacy needs a solution to one hell of a fix.

Dumped by his boyfriend in favour of his best friend, Jack's been busy bragging about a hot new man in his life.

A hot new man who doesn't exist.

With an important function to attend where he'll come face-to-face with his ex, Jack knows he'll be a laughing stock when his boasts are exposed as not
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 157 pages
Published November 15th 2018

To ask other readers questions about A Kiss Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Kiss Before Christmas

Start your review of A Kiss Before Christmas (Rory & Jack, #1)
☆ Todd
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

Gah! There's just something that I really enjoy about stories where a selfless act of kindness toward someone down and out on their luck that results in true love that gets me right in the gut, and this story was no exception.

At 26, Jack's boyfriend of 3 years had left him for Jack's best friend, leaving him feeling lonely, betrayed, and more than a little jaded.

But shortly after finding homeless, 21 y.o. Rory on his doorstep and giving him a place to stay for the night, Jack's world began t
Susan
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This could have been so good, but unfortunately this had the big miscommunication thing that just made me frustrated.

Jack has broken up with his boyfriend 3 months earlier. He still feels hurt that his boyfriend of 3 years and his best friend cheated on him and are now together. But he tries to put up a front for everyone and has even invented a new fake boyfriend for his family.

When Jake is feeling particularly pitiful, he finds a young man sleeping on his doorstep. Seeing such a beautiful youn
Len Evans Jr
Absolutely loved this charming fake-boyfriend trope story of Jack and Tory meeting and falling for one another. The story is just sweet enough, with just a bit of angst (due to how they met and Jack not wanting Tory to feel like he owed Jack anything). A perfect heartwarming tale for this Christmas season.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This story had so much potential:

- British MCs

- Hurt/comfort trope coupled with a snowed-in fairytale theme

- Lots of gooey feels as Rory and Jack settle into pseudo-domestic bliss, visit the Christmas market, and trim the tree with a drag queen topper

- Modern-day prince rescuing a beggar (Jack takes pity on homeless Rory a few days before Christmas)

But unfortunately, what came next was: A. Complete. And. Utter. Lack. Of. Communication.

What was wrong with these guys that they couldn't express the
Ariana
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3,5 stars*

I really enjoyed this one, mostly.
It felt very ‘Christmassy’ with all the snow and good will floating around. Throw in a teeny bit of a fake relationship, the problems that come with the scenario, two cute and relatable MCs and you’ve got a very heart-warming Christmas story.
I just would have loved to see how Rory got on with Jack’s parents! And how Rory sorted out his life!

Lelyana's Reviews

OMG this is a perfect slow burn Holiday story that I needed! This is hands down one of (my) favorite heartwarming, adorable that everyone need to read.
Finding Rory on his doorstep was like a God gift from heaven for Jack, after he vowed he hated Christmas after his (ex) boyfriend dumped him for his best friend. What a bless for Jack, he just didn't know it yet while he's still pissed off. He took Rory, and all of a sudden, Rory's well being was his sole purpose. He need to see Rory all comfort
Zuzu
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku
Such a sweet story!

No steam - just sweet.
Jules Lovestoread
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story quite a lot. Loved the snowy setting. Jack and Rory were both very sweet. When done well the fake boyfriend trope can make for a great story, and it's done pretty well here, though there is technically only one scene in which they actually have to fake the relationship. The guys won me over with their genuine goodness, though, and I found myself falling for them. ...more
Ula'ndi Hart
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall book rating: 3.8
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.5

This was sweet. I liked both characters from early on.
I'm a sucker for the story line, so sue me. We need a little "good" in this world.
Thank heaven we still get some in our reading experiences.

Jack is a good guy, don't know how he ended up with Sam but thats not an issue
anymore. He deserves better and he gets it all wraped up on his doorstep one evening.

Rory has bad luck in spades and people who let him down his his whole life. He's also
a
Denise H.
**** In snowy London, we get a sweet short Christmas story, with a different skew.
Jack was betrayed by his partner and best friend. Then he finds a downtrodden younger man, Rory, 21, asleep on his porch. He extends the guy a welcome and takes him in for clothes, a shower, food and warmth.
Jack invites him to stay awhile.

The guys like each other and talk, hang out and eat. Rory knows Jack is way out of his reach. Jack has bragged himself into problem, and they make a deal. Rory will be his pret
Cadiva
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh I absolutely adored this book! It had everything I want from a festive romance in it. Two lovely MCs, a fabulous meet/cute and a tedious ex who needed putting down a peg or two.

Fake boyfriend tropes are one of my favourite things to read and they work so well with a festive/Christmas setting and this one was no different.

It had a wonderful British setting with so many things I remember from my own Christmas experience, especially the Advocaat snowball cocktails! It had wry humour and the occ
Ro
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas is looming and Jack De Lacy needs a solution to one hell of a fix.

Dumped by his boyfriend in favour of his best friend, Jack’s been busy bragging about the hot new man in his life.

A hot new man who doesn’t exist.

With an important function to attend where he’ll come face-to-face with his ex, Jack knows he’ll be a laughing stock when his boasts are exposed as nothing more than wishful thinking. He’s desperate but time, like his options, is running out.

Rory Kincaid is scared he won’t last
Bitchie
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was really sweet and well done, I just wish there had been an epilogue, to tie things up.
Courtney Bassett
A feel-good Christmas short

I enjoyed Company for Christmas and decided to read another by the same author. This is also good, but the similarities are strong. An older (though not as old in this case), very well-off man saves a down-on-his-luck younger man, who initially doesn’t believe the other could possibly want someone like him. Both stories tugged at my heartstrings, and both disappointingly ended pretty much at the first kiss, when I would have liked to see the relationship grow just a b
Valerie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great feel-good Christmas story. After Jack finds out his boyfriend was cheating on him with his best friend several months before, he finds his Christmas spirit dampened, although it's his favorite time of the year. After coming him from an office Christmas party, dejected, he finds a homeless man who isn't prepared for the cold night and on impulse, invites him in.

Rory is a wonderfully unexpected character who's had his own problems with love and is surprised when Jack invites him i
Boyslove
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh, I liked this one! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Fairly short, with a sweet hearted couple who aren’t really a couple till near the end of the book. This one has no sex or anything. Some nice kisses but that’s it, and I was totally fine with there being no sex. It felt just right for the story.

The blurb does a good job of giving you an idea what you will be reading.

BUT I will say this,
Some people might be a little frustrated with a “miscommunication” thingy going on between Jack and Rory (what a cute name!)
Kacey
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, ku, m-m, ho-ho-ho
This was cute. Nothing exceptional and it was a bit cheesy and cliche at times, but it’s hard to expect any different from a Christmas short story. They always tend to feel too rushed, and it’s hard to put enough character/plot development in a short amount of pages.
I did enjoy it though. Nice quick read. I definitely felt like it ended too quickly!
Lillian Francis
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, this was just perfect for the season. Sweet without being cloying. A sprinkling of a Pretty Woman vibe. A visit to the Barista Boys coffee shop. Fake boyfriends tropey goodness.

Great writing and perfect (I mean spot on) pacing means there is nothing that jars you out of this story. It' s got all the elements of a perfect Christmas story: a good Samaritan, snow, eggnog, and a glorious kiss.

Just lovely.

Xanthe
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful Christmas tale, and set in London too! :-)
We have two great main characters in Jack and Rory. There is true Christmas spirit in offering someone shelter who is out on the streets in the cold and it's a great way to start off this short, sweet tale of love. Though it's a quick timeline, everything flows really smoothly and feels natural between the two men.
Jack is in a slump after his boyfriend dumped him for his ex and Rory is on the streets after a run of bad luck - his boyfri
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Oooh - this sweet Christmas romance filled me with holiday cheer. This story is full of heart and there is just enough grit to keep it from becoming saccharine. When an affluent Londoner invites the homeless guy on his doorstep in out of the cold, he never imagines how much his decision will change both of their lives.

Jack and Rory’s connection is wonderful. I love how they drag each other out of their misery as they enjoy sim
Shaztwirl
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute.

A cute Christmas short, marrying several tropes. Saving someone less fortunate, fake boyfriend, stranded at Christmas. They all combine to make an enjoyable story.
Karolina Cebula
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review in English and Polish || Recenzja po angielsku i polsku

Jack De Lacy had loved Christmas for years, as well as everything associated with this season – mood, decorations, food, cultural events. However, this year he would like winter holidays to end before they even started. And all because, although several months have passed since he broke up with his longtime boyfriend, Jack still didn't accept the fact that his lover cheated on him with his best friend. At that time, instead of once, h
⚣Michaelle⚣
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.6 Stars

Had very much the same feel as Company for Christmas...and that's a good thing! Low steam, lovely Cinderfella/Fake-Boyfriend story. I think I'd have rated it a touch higher had Ryecart allowed Rory to get back on his feet (or at least a job) first before the HEA.

And as much of an ass as Sam was, I think that attitude is hiding something painful and I wouldn't mind a redemption story for him down the line...
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
A Kiss Before Christmas is my first A.E. Ryecart read. There is lots of passion and emotion in the story but there’s really is just a kiss before Christmas that provides any physical heat. Rory is lost and homeless, Jack is the heartbroken fellow that saves him one cold snowy night. I like that Ryecart made it felt like London and I enjoyed that they spoke like they were Londoners. I will say the ending was a bit abrupt and I really could’ve done with more story in general like...the next twelve ...more
ButtonsMom2003

Overall – 5
Performance – 5
Story – 5

I loved it!

I loved this book so much when I read it and listening to the fantastic voice of Dan Calley brought back all the feels I got when I read it back in November 2018. Dan does great voices and his performance style is easy to listen to. I can't wait to start listening to the next book in this series!

A complimentary copy of this audiobook was provided to me but my review was volunt
Donna
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sweet-as, m-m, love-bytes
4.5 STARS

I love this time of year, when we start getting another flood of Christmas stories. And this novella, my first book by A E Ryecart , is going to go on my list of all time holiday favourites. As far as Christmas stories go, this one has everything I love, with some revenge on an asshole ex-boyfriend as the icing on the cake.

Poor Jack has recently been dumped by the man he thought he was in love with, and now he just wants Christmas to be over. He isn’t in the mood to celebrate and make m
Megan
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Being dumped for your best friend is never easy, but when it's compounded by a bit of a lie to save your pride? Jack's in for a lonely, disappointing, and embarrassing holiday season if he can't figure something out. Except a lumpy present on his doorstep might just be the answer he needs. Rory is incredibly down on his luck until he finds himself on the stoop of someone who might be able to turn all his woe into something warm and lasting. But if neither of them find the courage to lay bare wha ...more
Tessi4M
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one was just adorable.
Rory has had more bad luck in a few weeks than anyone should have in a lifetime. Leaving him homeless in snowy London and on Jack’s doorstep shortly before Christmas. Jack has never had to worry about a bed to sleep in or where his next meal will come from. But a bad breakup has left him just wanting to hole up by himself and ignore anything related to Christmas.
But he has commitments and needs to show up with a boyfriend to prove he has moved on. Rory is glad to play
Nese's reads
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
l love a good Christmas read, all the festivities
the lights and sounds and indulgences make me feel happy.
It's a merry time of year right?
Unfortunately not for everyone...

Jack is miserable, he wants to fast forward all of Christmas.
He doesn't want to pretend to be happy at all the parties, and Christmas drinks.
He doesn't even want to attend his family's dinner, but he loves them too much not to.
How can his life change so drastically , so quickly?
Only months ago he was in a relationship , had gr
Tanja
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a lovely story. Christmas at its best. It brought tears to my eyes and a soft, mushy feeling into my heart.
It all begins when Jake finds a filthy boy bundled up on his doorstep. Despite his growing resentful feelings for Christmas, Jake can’t turn the boy back on the snow-covered streets of London. He might just be the answer to his family’s urgings to bring home a boyfriend for Christmas.
A.E. Ryecart brings Jake and Rory to life in this charming Christmas story. The well-develop
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Christmas Spirit
  • Santa Daddy
  • Love Happens Anyway
  • The Christmas I Know
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • In Case of Emergency
  • Tic-Tac-Mistletoe
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Merry Measure
  • Naughty & Nice (Love Notes, #2)
  • Beautiful Dreamer (So This is Christmas #1)
  • All I Want for Christmas...Is My Sister's Boyfriend
  • Country Christmas
  • My Christmas Spirit
  • Eight Nights in December
A born and bred Londoner, she may have moved to someplace more leafy but the city is still very much part of her DNA, which is why her books are set in and around present-day London, providing a thrilling, metropolitan backdrop to the main action.

Rory & Jack (3 books)
  • An Easter Promise (Rory & Jack, #2)
  • A Christmas Wedding (Rory & Jack #3)