Start by marking “Red Envelope” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Red Envelope

The Lunar New Year is the biggest holiday in the Chinese calendar, a time for family reunions, and for saying goodbye to the past and hello to the future. Clint, however, doesnt want to bid farewell to what happened after last years celebration, when he and his Cousin Maggies handsome friend, Weaver, shared an unexpected but long-desired passionate encounter. East is East, ...more
Published October 20th 2018 (first published December 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Red Envelope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Envelope

Start your review of Red Envelope
Kaje Harper
This was a very enjoyable short story, and a refreshing change of pace for holiday fare. The author has a sure hand with characterization, a nice turn of phrase, and a delightfully wry take on the combination of Chinese and American cultures.

Clint is a young, gay, closeted-to-his-family, Chinese-American guy. A year ago he had a night when he got close to Weaver, a cousin's friend, whom he'd been crushing on. Unfortunately, it didn't work out the way he hoped since that night. This year, he's
.Lili.
 photo image.jpg3_zpstmiiku8z.jpg

This is going to be a shortie review because it's pretty short novella and I don't want to give anything Red Envelope is the New Adult by new to me author Atom Yang. When you go into a book having read no reviews and having no sense of the author's writing style, it's always a bit nerve wracking. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised this short novella. It's a sweet friends to lovers and second chance romance of two life long friends.

Some highlights:

*The fact that's it's about an interracial
~Volha~
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute short story. Told from single POV it was low steam, low angst novelette about two young men trying to figure out what they feel for each other. It touched subjects of coming out, blending of different cultures and a bit of snarky humor. I liked it but at times I felt that a lot of things happened behind the scenes, untold on pages. I wanted a bit more between Grant and Weaver to feel how they felt for each other. The declarations of love were a bit sudden for me. I needed a bit ...more
Rachel
5 Stars

I loved this short story. All kinds of sweet and savory. A dash of second chance romance, the joy of holiday celebrations, remembering cultural traditions, celebrating family and friendship. I read it via KU, but I want to buy my own copy to save and treasure.

Highly recommend!
Brandon Witt
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a breath of fresh air. Simply loved it. The sweetness, genuineness, and stylistic writing was perfect. Actually, the whole thing was perfect. Quick and wonderful read. It makes me excited to see what Atom Yang gives us next!
Ulysses Dietz
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By Atom Yang
4 stars

Atom Yang (his real name) has written a completely charming little romance (really, a short story) deeply infused with a sense of family, a sense of humor, and the experience of growing up Chinese American.

Clint is a young adult, named for the Hollywood actor by his enthusiastic immigrant parents. His big noisy family still speaks Chinese at home, and celebrates the Lunar New Year with feasting, along with the traditional giving of red envelopes of cash by the
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Reviewage on Prism Book Alliance®

Right from page one, I was getting a sense of Clints personality and his state of mind at this point in his life. We get this story from his point of view, firsthand, and it works. I also like the supportive, no beating around the bush, loving relationship he and his mom share, and demonstrate to one another. This also told me a good bit about Clint and where he is emotionally. Oh and his cousin and best friend, Maggie. Love her!

I also got an early sense of Yangs
Jeff Adams
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Red Envelope" is the story of Clint and Weaver, long time friends who traditionally only see each other to celebrate the lunar new year. Clint is Chinese-American and Weaver is a Caucasian and over the years theres also been an attraction between them. When the attraction is acted on, it seems as though its the end of the relationship. Or is it?

Atom weaves a compelling story here as Clint tries to reconcile whats going on with his friend, who moved to China to take a job and cut off talking to
Gillian Kevern
Shelves: m-m, romance, short-story
Red Envelope is amazing. It is full of so much character and life. I was pretty much hooked from a couple of pages in. Clint's mother sold me, but Atom has done an amazing job of capturing the nuances of large families and blending cultures. It felt true without being over-laboured.
Rian Durant
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time amazon showed me this book I fell in love with the blurb.

Now Im in love with the book. Its a short novella you cant choose but read in one breath. Sweet but not too sugary, it has the right amount of angst, fun, love and the occasional sentence that holds such a profound meaning, it feels just like taking the blindfold off.

The narrative is unique in being true-to-life and its this sincerity I loved the most, plus the delightful and smooth entwining of the Chinese culture aspects.

I
Z. Allora
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I met the author at the GRL (super sweet guy). I lived in China for six years so I LOVE experiencing Asian traditions though the characters so I was grabby hands with this story. The characters were fun, sweet and sexy. As with any short you want to whine MORE MORE MORE... but that's just cause you wanna hang with the characters Atom has shared with us. I recommend this book as a happy read. Hugs, Z.
C.B. Archer
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hey Look! Fan Art! Exciting right?
(Yes, I am implying that the Title 'Red Envelope' is referring to Clint's red pants as seen in this picture.)

This story is a little sweet. Clint and Weaver made for an interesting pair, and I am always glad to have diversity shown with couples! It was fun, cute, sweet, and short, much like my review!
Mymymble
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but short.
W.S. Long
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful story told from a different new voice that's gay and Asian-American.

This is an amazingly beautiful story of Clint and Weaver. It's definitely worth 4.5 stars.

Clint has had a thing for Weaver but due to circumstances nothing happens until one fateful moment. That one moment however doesn't end nice and tidy and when another opportunity surfaces the writer delicately describes the anxiety that Clint undergoes before their next meeting.

After fortune gives them a second chance, the
Jocelyn Eikenburg
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, cultural
Red Envelope is a lighthearted, beautifully written story of interracial/intercultural love that reads like a terrific romantic comedy on the screen. The backdrop of Chinese New Year and Chinese culture that permeates the book makes the story even more unique. I found the characters relatable and the story very engaging. Looking forward to more from Atom Yang.
Nic
Shelves: mm, short-story, christmas
A wonderful, beautifully told story. I adored Clint and his family, and Clint's journey to find love. The Chinese culture and touch of humour, adds a uniqueness to this short story which made it truly special.
Jonathan Penn
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Atom Yang writes beautifully! I love everything about this book except its length. Must. Have. More Atom Yang. Now!
Jordyn
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, m-m-romance
I wasn't initially looking for a Lunar New Year themed gay romance novella, but I am so happy that I came across this one. In such a short and sweet book, Clint and Weaver had my heart doing backflips. I look forward to reading more of Mr. Yang's work.
JR
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Short, sweet, and to the point, this story is filled with amazing dialog and imagery. I wished it were longer.
R. Phoenix
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hea
The most striking part of Red Envelope was Yangs ability to almost seamlessly weave in aspects of Chinese culture and language. Sometimes, blending cultures together can trip up an author as they try to explain too much and leave the story behind; it was rare for me to experience this. I cant count how many times I smiled, snickered, or outright laugh. Yangs writing is solid and witty, and overall, I really enjoyed the read.

Now, Im the first to admit I dont gravitate towards happily ever after
JJ
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
 photo 11014879_970988406253334_3984928259579074216_n_zpsm8c6semk.jpg
This book was provided free in exchange for a fair and honest review for Love Bytes.

The story begins with an introduction to Clint who is of Chinese origins but is growing up in the United States. He often feels like he has two identities, but this feeling soon fades as he gets older. Clint knows he likes guys and when he meets the blond beauty, Weaver, he can think of nothing but him. However, Clint has to endure a long period of separation while Weaver is away in China. When Weaver returns,
Brad Lane
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice novella about a young Chinese man, Clint, and a blonde American named Weaver. Although they only see each other once a year for the Chinese New Year, both have been crushing on each other for years, but never let the other know. Until one year, Weaver has told his parents something and they throw him and all of his belongings out, including his baby pictures, and put a bible on top of the garbage bags of his things. That night, Weaver drinks a bit too much. He is supposed to be staying ...more
Jo Newton
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books I had in my TBR list that I looked at longingly but could never find the time to read. Finally today I decided I was going to have a "me" day and read whatever I want all day long. Of course I bought and devoured this one by Atom Yang. I kind of had to as his Storming Love: Herc and Pyotr is still a percolating in my head and I really enjoyed that and knew I would be pleased with Red Envelope. Clint is adorable! I heart him so much! AND his family. So sweet! I wasn't a ...more
E.W.
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
What a wonderful debut novella for Atom Yang! Without giving too much away, it's the sweet, but not overly sentimental story of Clint and Weaver, as they navigate distance, culture and their own insecurities to find acceptance and love. The Red Envelope is beautifully written, and has an almost lyrical quality to its prose, sometimes reminding me of the works of David Levithan. It's hard to believe that this is Atom's first published work, as it reads as if he already has several under his belt. ...more
Kelly
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holidays are moments in time. Atom Yang has taken these moments and used them to capture the essence of a love story, giving us what matters most: the beginning, the middle and the end. Layered with humour, pathos, culture and philosophy, Red Envelope delivers more than many novelsmostly due to the skillful way Atom voices his characters. They feel like someone youve met, someone you know. Theyre real people, even those who dont get a point of view.

I wanted to read more, but found the Happy Ever
Melyna
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5.0
Wonderful holiday story.
I enjoyed the way the author presented the Chinese cultural traditions and differences of living in America and how the characters wove these together without making one seem more or less than the other.
The relationship between Clint and Weaver is a lovely friends to lovers story with very little angst except in Weaver's past. I wish we could have had more of Weavers background.
The storytelling was wonderful- vivid and entertaining. I am looking forward to more
C.B. Lee
A delightful romance with an Asian American protagonist that does well on the friends-to-lovers trope. Yang's voice is fresh and invigorating, and his use of both Mandarin and Cantonese within the novel speaks well to Clint's multicultural upbringing. Loved the portrayal of Clint's family, especially his relationship with his mother. Yang gets the nuances of first generation immigrant families right, and the romance is sweet and loving.

A lovely read.
Allison
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was short and sweet. Clint and Weaver have a history, and when they're thrown together for a family celebration, they must face what is between them. Will they be forced to always avoid each other because of what they had one day, or will they find their happily ever after together? Fun, quick read. I would definitely recommend it. I received an ARC for an honest review.
Anne Marie Crookes
This was not only an entertaining story but also gave a glimpse at another culture. Clint came across as lovable and a gentle soul. Weaver, whose birth family is so unpleasant, finds comfort in his heart family.

This was a heartwarming story full of love and family.
Tammy
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

I loved the traditions in this book! Weaver fit so well into Clint's family. The little things that each character did for the family during the holiday was so well written. You could picture yourself in Aunt Shirley's kitchen! Beautiful story!
The Backlot Gay B...: Red Envelope, by Atom Yang 1 10 Dec 27, 2015 07:30PM

• My Felt Doll: 12 Easy Patterns for Wonderful Whimsical Dolls
  • Back in Black (McGinnis Investigations, #1)
  • The Remaking of Corbin Wale
  • 憂鬱な朝8 (Yuutsu na Asa 8)
  • Blue Morning, Vol. 7 (Yaoi Manga)
  • American Dreamer (Dreamers #1)
  • Butterfly Swords (Tang Dynasty, #1)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • Jacked Cat Jive (Kai Gracen #3)
  • Savior (415 Ink, #2)
  • Memories of the Heart (Memories, #1)
  • The Doctor's Secret (Copper Point Medical #1)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Vintage Baby Knits: More Than 40 Heirloom Patterns from the 1920s to the 1950s
  • Whiskey Throttle (Fever Falls, #3)
Atom was born to Chinese immigrant parents who wanted better opportunities for their children who are obviously not taking advantage of their great and many sacrifices.