Start by marking “If You Want to Make God Laugh” as Want to Read:
If You Want to Make God Laugh

If You Want to Make God Laugh

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  6 ratings  ·  4 reviews
From the author of the beloved Hum if You Don't Know the Words comes a rich, unforgettable story of three unique women in post-Apartheid South Africa who are brought together in their darkest time, and discover the ways that love can transcend the strictest of boundaries.

In a squatter camp on the outskirts of Johannesburg, seventeen-year-old Zodwa lives in desperate povert
Expected publication: July 16th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about If You Want to Make God Laugh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Want to Make God Laugh

Bianca
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
For fans of ‘Hum If You Don’t Know the Words’ who were hoping for the story to continue... this isn’t a sequel but look out for Beauty and Robin who make cameo appearances in ‘If You Want to Make God Laugh’.

I absolutely loved writing this book and I really hope you’ll enjoy reading it.
Charmaine Shepherd
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think I can safely say that this is my best read of 2018 and probably my all time favourite book. I found the characters so easy to connect to and I laughed and cried and then laughed and cried again. The book touched me so much that I went back and read it again. It is such a beautiful story of human frailty and challenging the lifelong beliefs that we all hold.
Clair Gibson
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bianca Marais has established herself as a ‘must have’ on my bookshelf. I loved her debut novel so had high hopes for this one. I wasn’t disappointed. Marais brings to life post-apartheid South Africa with characters to truly care about. Both heartbreaking and heartwarming - sadly I was at the end all too soon. I’ll definitely revisit it again in the future.
Nina Carboni
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! I had high hopes for this bc I loved this author’s debut, Hum if You Don’t Know the Words and I wasn’t let down. This author somehow tackles the hardest of subject matter without making it too much to bear. The misery that these characters face runs the gamut of the worst of the worst and yet their humanity and hope and the universal want for a better life for themselves and their children make it so you see yourself in them and wonder if you would rise to the occasion if faced person ...more
Bev
Erika
Jen
Rachel
Oct 23, 2018
Bianca Marais holds a Certificate in Creative Writing from the University of Toronto’s School of Continuing Studies.

Before turning to writing, she started a corporate training company and volunteered with Cotlands, where she assisted care workers in Soweto with providing aid for HIV/AIDS orphans and their caregivers.

Originally from South Africa, she now resides in Toronto with her husband and thre