Start by marking “Rose Coffin” as Want to Read:
Rose Coffin

Rose Coffin

Rose Coffin can't win. She's teased for her secondhand clothes. She's teased for blushing all the time. And she's teased for slipping into song at inopportune moments, though that's the only thing that keeps her panic at bay.

After a particularly mortifying incident, Rose escapes to the woods where she's captured by a group of otherworldly creatures. They take her to Epper
Hardcover
Published October 15th 2019 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Rose Coffin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose Coffin

Start your review of Rose Coffin
M.P.
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ahem.
Kelly
Oct 14, 2019 marked it as dnf
The writing in this is just kind of awkward in weird ways, to me--I can't get into it. ...more
Dan Poblocki
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advanced-copy
This book kicks so much ass.
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

True rating: 4.5 stars.
Adri is Reading
Anthony Paolucci
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was fantastic! When I first started writing YA fiction years ago, I came across Juniper Berries and loved it. Years later, I decided to look up the author and found that he had just put out Rose Coffin, so I bought it right away (I hadn't heard about the ones before it yet). I loved this book - reminded me of Lord of the Rings meets the Never Ending Story. I always prefer kid lit that has a sense of danger to it, just enough to make you feel unsafe, but still thrilling. One of the best exam ...more
Kristin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
ROSE COFFIN by M. P. Kozlowsky takes Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz and turns it on its head. What starts as a middle grade tale of being bullied runs headlong into an other-worldly adventure for 12-year-old Rose Coffin.

Read the full review here: https://mutterschwester.wordpress.com...
Rachel
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a cool read, like a creepier Alice in Wonderland. I dug it all the way!
Chris
Sep 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, dark, j, not-graphic
Bullied, unloved-feeling Rose is thrilled to stumble into a magical land where everyone adores her as the prophesied hero, until she discovers their plan is to sacrifice her to the Abomination to appease its hunger. An all-volunteer band of brave companions dubbed the Order of the Sacrifice carries her away as a captive on their quest to deliver her to the destructive evil. I'll make sure the Abomination gets you alive, dear girl! Don't you worry about that! You'll be breathing full and wide awa ...more
Ms. Patterson
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Rose, the victim of a school bully, is insecure and just looking to fit in at the start of the book. When she is lured into the woods by the bully and her gang of friends, Rose is then captured and taken to a different realm through the woods, Eppersett. There, she is expected to be the sacrifice to the Abomination, a blight that is destroying their land and its people. Of course, Rose doesn't want to die! She must convince the people of Eppersett that she's a much better hero than a sacrifice.

I
Michael W
Ms. Yingling
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Public library copy

I understand why fantasy books about children saving the world often start with them being jeered and bullied, but it's not my favorite thing. This is not quite the flavor of fantasy for which my students ask, but I'll keep it in mind if monsters/evil forests make a resurgence.
Cherilyn Michelle
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This story took awhile to get into. Rose Coffin is a strong character and I enjoyed seeing her change throughout the story. Some chapters are hard to follow due to descriptions of the setting and the other main characters not having a lot of depth. It also reminded me of Coraline in certain aspects. It’s a decent read, but you really have to pay attention.
Kelsey
3.5 Stars
Naomi
Apr 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
SO RACIST

The writing was clear and lovely. The world building was strong. The story was...ok. A bit heavy on the self-sacrifice as the only form of good, but fine.

The real issue, what bumps it down to one star, is hidden in the back story of one character. This isn't a spoiler because it is really just a throwaway couple of paragraphs, and it's really really troubling. One character has been cast out from her people because of this story: She saw that creatures across the river were being ensla
Lira

• The Spirit of Cattail County
  • Notorious
  • The Story That Cannot Be Told
  • Mutant Bunny Island
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Losers Club
  • New Kid (New Kid, #1)
  • All Boys Aren't Blue
  • Tilly and the Map of Stories (Pages & Co., #3)
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Great Pet Heist
  • This Splintered Silence
  • Witherwood Reform School
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
M.P. Kozlowsky is the author of FROST, THE DYERVILLE TALES, and JUNIPER BERRY. His latest book, ROSE COFFIN, was released in October. He lives in New York with his wife and two daughters.