Start by marking “The Female Gaze: Essential Movies Made by Women” as Want to Read:
The Female Gaze: Essential Movies Made by Women

The Female Gaze: Essential Movies Made by Women

Pioneering Women, Inspiring Stories

The term “male gaze” was first coined in the 1970s to describe what happens to all of us when the majority of our entertainment has been created by men. The viewer is forced to see female characters through a male lens, which distorts how all of us see women, and even how women see themselves.
Typically, the keepers of film history and wri
Published November 15th 2018 by Mango

To ask other readers questions about The Female Gaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Female Gaze

Karla
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es una guía perfecta para las personas a las que nos gusta el cine pero que no tenemos conocimiento formal. Alicia Malone nos enseña 52 películas dirigidas por mujeres, los contratiempos, la visión y el sentir de cada una! Muy aleccionador! Además que engrosa la lista de películas por ver :)

Me gustó mucho que tuvo la delicadeza de que todas nos viéramos representadas!

100% recomendado.
Miranda
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was so much fun to read, less a collection of feminist, academic film analyses than an encyclopedic, chose-your-adventure survey of female directors and their varied contributors to the history of film! While it included entries on several 0f my all-time favorites from 𝘊𝘭𝘶𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 to 𝘔𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘨 and 𝘓𝘢𝘥𝘺 𝘉𝘪𝘳𝘥, I was shocked by how few of these women-directed films I had seen or even heard of. Take the 7-minute black and white French film from 1906, Alice Guy's satirical 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘦𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘍𝘦 ...more
s w
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
A fascinating exploration of 52 films directed by women! I enjoyed Alicia Malone’s introduction/frame up to the book and how often other critical voices were brought into the collection. I look forward to seeing a lot of these films!
Raquel
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shines a much needed spotlight on female filmmakers and their movies. This is an indispensable resource for film historians and feminists alike.

Full review here:
Gena Radcliffe
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good, concise list of movies directed by women. I'm a little embarrassed about how many of them I haven't seen (yet).
Sarah Crawford
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is little doubt that women have a much harder time in life making their way in most occupations and this book is about one of those occupations: making films. The book goes into a discussion of a bunch of different women that went on to become directors, the things they had to go through to get there, the kinds of films they made and the reactions to those films.

There's a synopsis of the film production tales and the backstory of the film. The book includes a bibliography. The films cover
Elizabeth Beck
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this exploration of female directors. The diversity of both the filmmakers and the work highlighted makes this an excellent read. I liked the use of guest writers, and the way the information was organized.

This book includes a lot of my favorites, and introduced me to some directors I wasn't aware of. I'm looking forward to watching as many of the featured films as I can get my hands on.
Hannah
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is really empowering to read as a woman (though it also gets you frustrated thinking about all the talented women that had to struggle unnecessarily much in the film industry and who didn't get nearly enough acknowledgement). It introduced me to so many films and directors I wouldn't know of otherwise. It is well written and intriguing, so I went through it fast, plus I now have about 30 new movies on my to-watch list.
Yaddyra Peralta
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great and descriptive entires on female directs in world cinema with a focus on how the female gaze makes the film's choices in terms of style, content, and subject matter distinctive. A must read for beginner to intermediate film buffs.
Carol Spencer
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable stories of the many women filmmakers that have shaped the industry.
dreamer of art
rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2019
Caitlin
Dec 15, 2018
Host of TCM and author of books on women in film.

Longer version:
Alicia Malone is a film reporter, host, writer, and self-confessed movie geek. She first gained notice hosting movie-centric shows and reviewing films in her native Australia, before making the leap to Los Angeles in 2011. Since then, Alicia has appeared on CNN, the Today show, MSNBC, NPR, and many more as a film expert. Currently, sh