Start by marking “Shades of Magic #2: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic - The Steel Prince)” as Want to Read:
Shades of Magic #2: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic - The Steel Prince)

Shades of Magic #2: The Steel Prince

(Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #2)

Harried by assassins and secrets, banished for his pursuit of a forbidden alternate London, the Red Prince Maxim finds himself in the court of the Pirate Queen of the Blood Coast!
Comic book, 32 pages
Published November 14th 2018 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Magic #2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Magic #2

⚔ Silvia ⚓
LET'S GO LESBIANS
Maria
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HELL YEAH! That’s more like it. The writing is so unmistakably Schwab, I’ve felt somewhat. homesick? reading this. I love Arisa and Isra’s characters. Soooo pumped for more.
Patricija - ReadOff
So, I read Nimona right after this, and I cannot not compare it? If that makes any sense. This was okay, but after reading the Gathering of Shadows, I'm not the biggest fan of Maxim. The plot was okay, but these are way too short, and thus feel not developed enough, the story still raw. I did like the art style a lot tho. Will continue, hope the rest improves
Ashley Daviau
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another flawless gem from Queen Schwab! I swear, she can do NO wrong in my eyes. Even in graphic novel form her writing just grabs you and sucks you right in. I think I may even have enjoyed this instalment more than the first and that’s saying something because I devoured the first! This one had more action and battle though and I was all for it. I also didn’t think it was possible but I swear, the artwork is even more gorgeous in this one than in the first!
Manon the Malicious
*4.5 Stars*

Victoria Schwab wrote this, so of course I loved it.
Read it at midnight, and loved it.
Love the art, love the story.
Can't wait for #3.
Paul
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying the artwork, some good action but not sure where the story is heading yet
prag ♻
stan team isra assemble
Meghan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So...I love the Shades of Magic novels and I LOVE the artwork in these graphic novels so far. The reason I am only giving these 2 stars is because I am kind of really struggling to follow the story and understand what is going on. I have more reading comprehension questions than curiosity questions, and found myself taking a break after every page to put pieces of the story together. The experience is too frustrating to be immersive.

That being said-- I am not used to reading comics so it could
milou  ☁️
We get introduced to an interesting new character and hell yes Isra.

↠ 3,75 stars
Filipa
Art is dark and harsh, which fits well into the narrative.
I'm enjoying where we are going with this, yet its shortness makes it way too hard to review.
maegan ✷
So much better than the first. Still wish it could be longer per issue, though. :(
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-comics
Plot

Issue #2 was even better than the first. Though comics are short this issue had a lot of depth to it. The plot is definitely thickening and I am excited to see what happens next. The Pirate Queen is ruthless and Maxim and Isra have a lot to deal with. Maxim is not used to the ruthlessness of Verose and wants to take down this woman but the people of Verose know to steer clear of her. But an unexpected twist is revealed about who Isra and the Pirate Queen are too each other. The Pirate Queen
Lauren Chamberlin
3.5
This bone magic stuff is SCARY. Reminds me of blood bending from ATLA. Anyway, didn’t feel as clunky as the first volume, but I still wish there was some narration besides the opening scene in every copy.
Jess ✩
Wow, what an ending!
Claire  (Jst1MoreChapter)
I'm never sure how to rate these... I enjoyed it, but they're very short and they always end on a cliffhanger
R. L. Carlo
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I forget how quick these comics are to read. I love the graphic novels which feel more like a book since you get the whole story at once. But the first volume of Steel Prince grabbed my attention and this second one kept the story going, adding a swifter pace to the plot line. Excited to read the next one!
Mandy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing comic! This one picks up right where the first one left off, I love the action in this and I absolutely cannot wait for the next issue! I'm hooked on these.
S.E. Anderson
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t wait to see where this goes!

The story intensified as Maxim learns about the pirate queen and her dangerous bone magic. Cannot wait for the next installment!
Jessy
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shades of Magic #1: The Steel Prince
Shades of Magic #3: The Steel Prince
Shades of Magic #4: The Steel Prince

She's a legend on the Blood Coast. Ruthless. Cruel. With a crew violent and hungry enough to match.

Yeah man, this was so much better than the first issue.

I think V. E. Schwab just needed the first issue to get into this thing, but now she has it down. I already love Maxim and Isra and I need more of the Pirate Queen! The women in this comic are great.

The artwork is just as beautiful. I c
Brittany
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am adoring this comic series so much! V.E. Schwab has truly mastered all elements in both books and comics as this is fantastic. This follows the backstory of Maxim, the king in the Shades of Magic series. This one is his backstory as a prince and how he came to be known as the Steel Prince.
I find this immensely fascinating as I find that Maxim’s backstory is interesting. There is backstory that builds on this world along with Maxim’s story. It’s nice to get to know more about him and see a b
Brandi
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, magic
So, things are heating up and I cannot wait to see what Maxim Maresh does in the next issue.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this prequel being given to us in this medium. I was excited, yes, but also wary because it's not how I like to consume my books.

However, I am loving this. The artwork is impeccable. The story is amazing--as is typical of Schwab--and the suspense is building.

I wish these were all available to devour now because I am not a patient person.
The Awkward Bibliophile
AAAAAHHHH I STILL CAN'T HANDLE BEING BACK IN THIS WORLD!!!!😄😄😄😄😍😍😍😍 I love how we get to see even more of the SHADES OF MAGIC world that we've not seen in the SHADES OF MAGIC series, but only passing mentions (from what I recall) but I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE NEXT TWO ISSUES HAVE IN STORE!!!!😄😄😄😄
Ilse
Oh fuuuuckkkk yeeesss
This is exactly what I signed up for!! I love this, after issue one being more of an introduction, which is very understandable, we are now jumping in the action and I am living!! I am so glad I went to London recently and managed to pick up the first two issues of the steel prince because this is honestly just so great! Can't wait for more!!
Shaimaa
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, graphic-novels
In which Prince Maxim shows a bit of his skill with steel and he learns about the Pirate Queen.
Marti
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
schwab, at some point: i'm gonna give the gays everything they want
Em
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
first read of 2019. starting the year off right with some schwab
C.R.
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Kind of confusing at first. I breezed through them in under an hour. I'm not used to reading comics, but I feel like depth was missing in these comics. Some scenes jumped back and forth several times with out indication and it was hard to follow in that regard.

I had expected more from this first installment. I want to know more about Maxim and what made Schwab want to tell his story. I hoping the next installment we'll get more of that.

I felt that the events wrapped up too quickly (comics are sh
Ray
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was much better than the first one!
In this issue, we see more of Maxim and Isra's friendship, what with them training together and all and it was so lovely to see how king Maxim's relation with his head of Royal Guard started.
I now understand why their bond is stronger than ever in the following years!

A Pirate ship docked in the city, and with it came a pirate queen!
Oh god this is so amazing!!! V.E Schwab you spoil me too much!
I LOVE the premise of this story arc, I LOVE how tied up Isra is
Carl Power
I’m really torn about this, the story was ok, but didn’t blow me alway like I thought it would. I understand that they only have so many pages per issue, but I felt like this needed to be longer then a 4 issue story arc as it felt rushed at times and I still after reading it don’t know much about ‘Maxim’ as a character. I get they might do more with the character in future story arcs, but as a stand-alone comic series I didn’t give me the excitement when reading the shade of magic series. The ar ...more
Emily
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So not a lot happened in this installment either, but we start to get some of that VE Schwab character building I so love. Also, Arisa is a badass and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her. I'm also still not a fan of the artwork, but I do think the way the bone magic is drawn looks super cool.

• Adventure Time Vol. 9
  • Lumberjanes: Bonus Tracks
  • Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift
  • A Cathedral of Myth and Bone
  • The Warlock's Curse (Veneficas Americana, #3)
  • Adventure Time: Candy Capers
  • Paper Girls: Book One
  • Silence of Winter (Cromwell Chronicles, #1)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 7
  • Timshel
  • No Plain Rebel (No Ordinary Star, #2)
  • The Floodgates (Iron Breakers, #3)
  • Gabriel's City: A Tale of Fables and Fortunes
  • Star Wars: Lando - Double or Nothing
  • Channel Zero
  • The Mystery of The Fool and The Vanisher
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • Les Titans (Yoko Tsuno #8)
V.E. Schwab is a pseudonym of Victoria Schwab.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Shades of Magic Graphic Novels (9 books)
  • Shades of Magic #1: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1)
  • Shades of Magic #3: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)
  • Shades of Magic #4: The Steel Prince (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #4)
  • Shades of Magic #5: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5)
  • Shades of Magic #6: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #6)
  • Shades of Magic #7: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #7)
  • Shades of Magic #8: Night of Knives (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #8)
  • Shades of Magic #9: The Rebel Army (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #9)