Start by marking “Checked Baggage” as Want to Read:
Checked Baggage

Checked Baggage

When Faris has to take a trip back to his family's home in Lebanon to handle his grandmother's estate, he finds himself caught between the world he left as a child and the world he's built himself in the United States. After an exhausting stay with his boisterous extended family, all he wants is a quiet trip home before Thanksgiving with his parents in Massachusetts. But ...more
Published November 12th 2018 by Ninestar Press

To ask other readers questions about Checked Baggage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Checked Baggage

Start your review of Checked Baggage
Jason Bradley
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, arc, m-m, thanksgiving
This was so heartwarming. Sadly, most of what I know about Beirut and Lebanon has to do with fighting and war. This story introduced me to this part of the world in a different light. I enjoyed the characters and the virtual trip. Well done!
Ije the Devourer of Books
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely short story about home with a thanksgiving theme.

Faris is in Lebanon to sort out his grandmother's estate. He doesn't really miss the country of his birth, although he is glad to be able to visit. The US is home for him and he is looking forward to all the family preparations for thanksgiving back in the US. Faris is annoyed when his flight home to the US is cancelled and all the hotels are full. He is tired and dreading going back to his Lebanese relatives and so he is thankful when
Felicia Davin
This is a short romance about home and family and finding your people, set around Thanksgiving, starring a grouchy and guarded Lebanese-American Bostonian and an adorably unguarded New England bro who end up sharing an airport hotel room. It's sweet and sexy and heartwarming.
Don Bradshaw
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Thank you Ms Wheeler for this engaging short tale of love found when it is least expect it.
Highlyeccentric
This is a sweet, long-ish short story. Faris, stranded en route from Lebanon to Boston on Thanksgiving weekend, encounters Charlie, an exuberant and equally stranded American on his way home from a disappointing trip to seek his grandparents' history. Shenanigans ensue, including the predictable hotel-room-sharing, a fade-to-black encounter, and some high quality avoidant behaviour on Faris' part. Fate throws them into each other's paths again at the American end of the journey...

I'm grateful to
Kelly
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was provided by the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review.

Checked Baggage is a quick novella about two men stranded at the airport. Faris and Charlie share a hotel room and a bed, but when Charlie offers Faris his number, he's turned down. The men are headed to two different destinations, so it's too late for Faris to get a second chance.

A sweet little Thanksgiving romp, that, in the end, turns out to be more about family, trust, and reaching out to
Iona Sharma
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Sweet, contemporary m/m romance novella with a surprising depth of things to say about family and family history. I particularly liked the author's choice to write a Thanksgiving-based novella about a Lebanese Arab diaspora family, and the complexities of immigrant life. And it's very well-written, too.
Amanda
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
A quick, sweet Thanksgiving story. I read it in bed while stuffed full of good food, and it was the perfect end to a lovely holiday. I highly recommend that as the best way to read this delightful story!

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.
Kirstin
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay well this was short and sweet and perfect!

Faris was in Lebanon attending his grandmothers funeral and taking care of some family business. When he gets to the airport for his flight home for Thanksgiving, he finds all the flights through Europe have been canceled. While waiting in line for a new series of connections he runs into Charlie.

Charlie’s trying to find a connection to his family since he’s only got his mother left. He was hoping to find living relatives in Lebanon but only found
Lacy
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Faris and Charlie are strangers who meet in an airport because gasp each of their respective flights to go home for the holidays have been canceled.

Guess what happens next... gasp ALL of the hotel rooms are booked except one. And OH! NO! there's only ONE BED . Whatever shall they do? I guess you'll have to read to find out how it all ends. \_(ツ)_/

Seriously, though. Please give me a longer story. I want all the cliche holiday fluff. How did the holidays go? Do they travel back to
Zaza
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
* 3.5/5 *

Classique mais efficace, cette histoire de rencontre dans un aéroport fait bien le job. Les personnages sont charmants, mais j'aurais aimé savoir comment Charlie perçoit les choses, puisque la nouvelle, bien qu'écrite à la 3ème personne, est entièrement focalisée sur le POV de Faris. Une histoire sympa, avec un contexte original (le Liban comme racines communes, d'ailleurs, en parlant de racines, l'emblème du Liban est un cèdre ^^) qui me laisse toutefois sur ma faim, parce que
Ann Marie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
First let me say I love this cover! Second, I loved these two guys!! They are adorable! The instant attraction is palpable and I loved reading this story. I wish it was a bit longer that’s all!! But the book was very good and I didn’t want to put it down! Yes Faris was an a$$ for not speaking up and giving Charlie his number grrrr….lol….in the end though hopefully it all works out for these two!!

Thank you for this cute story of two men, looking for love and possibly finding it! Hoping there is
Jaylee
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Such a sweet, fun story. Easy to read, set in a culture I enjoyed learning more about. Fun platonic bed-sharing trope, and their chemistry and easy way with each other felt very alive on the page. Definitely worth it for some warm fuzzies from a quick read.

Faris' characterization and decision-making didn't always make sense, since the story was too short to really show us his personality, we had to be told that he wasn't acting the way he usually does, which is hard to pull off in a short story.
Lillian Francis
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really adorable short story. It's set at Thanksgiving but can be read at any time.
Cancelled planes, one hotel room, one bed. The story is a trope in itself but the delivery of it is lovely with characters who aren't perfect but are perfectly endearing.

Fade to black as suits the story length, with a HFN ending. I'd have happily read a novel (or at least a novella) length story about these two.
Ashley
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Faris is going home to take care of his grandmother's estate, but this extended family makes the trip hard on him. Charlie is trying to connect with a part of himself that he has never really got to know.

This was a good quick read that shows two guys from very different backgrounds finding common ground in a short amount of time and finding a connection.
Mike
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romance generally isn't my jam, but that being said, this is a cute and pretty realistic story about two American guys running into each other in an airport in Lebanon as they try to get back home. The characterization, especially their conflicted feelings about their ancestral home, is interesting and natural.

It's also a really nice Thanksgiving story without being ABOUT Thanksgiving!
Nicole Diskin
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Checked Baggage was a quick fun holiday read of how the crazy bustle of the holidays can lead to the most unexpected and wonderful meetings! I Loved every second of this story can't wait for more holiday fun from Nine Star Press!!
DDog
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TOO CUTE.

(I was given an e-ARC by the author)
Wish
Dec 06, 2018
Apolishedreader
Dec 18, 2018
Valentine Wheeler
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-did-that
Dec 19, 2018

• A Touch of a Brogue
  • Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Rough Terrain (Out of Uniform, #7)
  • Death of a Bachelor (Cherrywood Grove, #1)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Proper English
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • One Step Back
  • Out in the Offense (Out in College, #3)
  • Fired Up (Fever Falls, #1)
  • Beautiful Dreamer (So This is Christmas #1)
  • A Deceptive Alliance
  • Yule Love Her
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities, #1-7)
  • All I Want for Christmas...Is My Sister's Boyfriend
Valentine lives in Boston, where she goes by Lis and spends her time citing obscure postal regulations and arguing with a preschooler. Her short fiction can be found at Ninestar Press and her first novel, NO PARKING, comes out in February 2020.