Start by marking “Bump” as Want to Read:
Bump

Bump

David’s pregnant.

He’s always wanted to have children, and being a stepfather for the past two years has been a great adventure. There’d even been a plan to start looking into adoption and turn their family of three into four.

Published November 5th 2018 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Bump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bump

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Bump by Matthew J. Metzger was a very powerful book, and one that I shouldn't have started late at night. I thought I might just read a few pages, but then I actually couldn't put it down. I stayed up for hours reading, and I'm still thinking about it today. Powerful.

Trigger warnings: homophobic and transphobic language, references to suicidal thoughts and depression.

I've read a number of Matthew's books in the past and have enjoyed them all, but Bump felt different to me. For one, it
Lou
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the things Matthew Metzger does with considerable aplomb is shine a light on often misunderstood and underrepresented topics through his diverse fiction. Here, he deals with issues such as gender dysphoria, homophobia, transphobia, suicide, disability, mental health and interracial couples, issues that many of us are destined to never properly understand. These are just some of the themes explored in this book and many of his others. Using fiction as a device to impart important messages ...more
Kaje Harper
This story is one I was waiting for, completing the three-part picture of trans pregnancies begun in "Married Ones" and completed in "Erik the Pink". Here we have David, a gay trans veterinarian who becomes pregnant after sex with his loving partner although, unlike in the other two stories, David did not take this step on purpose. He always vaguely wanted children, and they've begun discussing adoption, but he isn't at a point in his life where a pregnancy was anything at first but an unwanted ...more
Chris, the Dalek King
I feel kinda bad that it took me over a month to get this read and reviewed, but I got about a third of the way thru this book (to right about the part where the pregnancy started to really kick in) and realized that it was starting to mess with my head in a very not nice way. I’m not a huge fan of stories that deal overly much with the symptoms of being pregnant, but that is usually just me being squicked out. I was totally unprepared for my head to go…”well here’s a totally new thing for your ...more
Joyfully Jay
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Bump by Matthew J.Metzger finishes a trilogy of books all focused on the realities facing a transgender man becoming pregnant. Like its predecessors, Erik the Pink and Married Ones, Bump exposes different aspects of a man becoming a father and the ramifications of how the pregnancy affects his body and his emotions while doing so. Each novel deals with a different component of pregnancy with Bump narrowing in on the time frame of conception to birth. This novel is s
Lucy
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.25
David’s pregnant.

But now there’s a bump, and David doesn’t know what to do. He’s spent years escaping the grip of his own body and burying the past—but there’s no way he can hide from his history if he lets the bump get any bigger. It’s not just his baby; it’s also his breakdown.

He doesn
Estella Mirai
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was extremely excited to read this book based on the concept. Typical MPREG stories are not really my thing, but because I knew this was an ownvoices look at a trans man experiencing pregnancy, I had high hopes that it would be sensitive and realistically written, and in that regard especially, BUMP did not disappoint.

The characters and setting felt well-developed, and the raw emotion that came through, especially in later scenes, was sometimes lovely and sometimes ugly, and always felt very,
Stephan
Overall, I really enjoyed this. A solid emotional journey. I really feel for David's struggles and I love Ryan. He's not perfect but he's such a great, reliable, relatable, understanding partner!

Only two, relatively minor things keep this from being a five-star for me:

1. Rather important pieces of information about the characters is dropped bit by bit throughout the story, and I therefore had to keep adjusting my mental image of them. For instance, that Ryan is built like a bodybuilder. The she
Amazonaute
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sherry
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author can really write. I felt I was right there with David and Ryan, agonizing over everything.
Libby
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 5-stars
Another awesome book by Matthew. He is such a talented writer and even manages to accurately capture things (like pregnancy and parenthood) that he hasn't experienced himself. Highly recommend and didn't even miss the love scenes that are usually such an integral part of a romance. To me Mathew is the perfect writer and such an amazing relatively undiscovered author.
VVivacious
I was very excited to read this one but despite the fact that I liked it, I didn't at the same time. I have been reading quite a few of Matthew J. Metzger's works and he is an amazing author who writes such unique characters that you can't help but identify with them but I just feel like I have read too many of his works in a rapid progression because I feel like I am reading the same characters again and again. And just this feeling made me quite distant from David as a character because he doe ...more
Sherry
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it

The description of this book really grabbed my attention. Getting pregnant unexpectedly might be difficult for anyone, but how much harder might it be for someone who had transitioned to living fully as a man? Bump provides an answer to that question, and it’s not easy to read.

A loving couple is at the center of the story, but I wouldn’t consider this a romance. The real focus is on how David processes what’s happening to him as his pregnancy advances. Not being trans myself, I have no
Marianne
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing story! It starts strangely, as I felt like I was missing tidbits of information that I should have known. For a while I wondered if this was a sequel. Eventually details are given and a deeper picture of the characters is revealed.

It was heartbreaking to read about the lack of understanding and love Ryan’s own family showed him. I know these things happen I just don’t comprehend them. How can you not love and accept your child? All for deciding who they love?

David’s past wa
Amy Dufera
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bump is a phenomenal and unique romance by Matthew J Metzger.

David, a transgender man, unexpectedly finds himself pregnant. What follows is a wonderful and thought-provoking tale of how he and his husband deal with this surprise.

The author does an exemplary job of approaching this situation with knowledge, heart and thoughtfulness. The largest topic discussed is that of gender dysphoria and I am thrilled with how well it was handled. I felt very in touch with how David was feeling at all times
Kiara
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-contemporary
Positive: very well developed caracters, believable and open-minder story, delivered with a smooth writing.
SPOILER ALERT Negative: it costed this romance two point five stars, rouded down : SPOILER ALERT
the co-protagonist, aware of his HIV infected status, has unprotected sex with the protagonist, risking to infect him and , eventually, and for the second time!, his baby.
In my opinion the autor overdid it. The plot is engrossing and it did not need this.
It really ruined it for me, and I am sor
Jane
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbtq
Ein tolles Buch!
Der abrupte Einstieg hat mir persönlich total gefallen! Man ist sofort in der Geschichte drin, als ob man in sie reingefallen wäre wie in ein Schwimmbecken.
Die Darstellung der Schwangerschaft kam mir (als jemand der viele Mütter kennt, aber nie selbst schwanger war!) Realistischer als in den meisten mainstream-Büchern und Davids besondere Problematik hat mir einen vollkommen neuen Blickwinkel sehr nahe gebracht.
Tolle nicht eindimensionale Charaktere und ein flüssiger, angenehmer
Ellen W-S
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Cool trans lit - never thought about this situation before but now I have and feel a deeper appreciation and understanding.
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
More like 2.5 - thoughts to come.
Meraxes Targaryen
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4stars, amazing book, the author is incredible, makes you feel the dysphoria on your own skin, incredible story.
SnugglyReader
❀❁❀Tara❀❁❀
Dec 27, 2018
Chiara
Dec 25, 2018
Matthew is an asexual, transgender author from the wet and windy British Isles. He is currently lurking in the Bristol area, but has lived all over, and has a special fondness for Yorkshire.

Matt writes LGBT novels, both adult and young adult, and particularly enjoys digging into the weird and wonderful diversity of people all across the sexuality and gender spectrums. When not writing, Matt is usu