Start by marking “Shorefall (Founders, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shorefall (Founders, #2)

Shorefall

(The Founders Trilogy #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  7,146 ratings  ·  1,028 reviews
As a magical revolution remakes a city, an ancient evil is awakened in a brilliant new novel from the Hugo-nominated author of Foundryside and the Divine Cities trilogy.

A few years ago, Sancia Grado would've happily watched Tevanne burn. Now, she's hoping to transform her city into something new. Something better. Together with allies Orso, Gregor, and Berenice, she's abou
Published April 21st 2020 by Jo Fletcher Books

To ask other readers questions about Shorefall, please sign up.

·  7,146 ratings  ·  1,028 reviews

Start your review of Shorefall (Founders, #2)
Regan
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
v good! 4.5
chai ♡
find this review & others on my blog

The city of Tevanne seems determined to tear itself in two. In “Shorefall” Bennett lets us back abruptly into his world, with a lot more terror and much less hand-holding. Three years have passed and the Foundrysiders—Sanca, Berenice, Gregor and Orso—keep sidling up to death and dipping their toes in, this time with a Robin-Hood scheme to steal the scrivings the Michiels hoarded like a dragon guarding its treasure, and distribute them back to the peopl
Petrik
ARC provided by the publisher—Del Rey—in exchange for an honest review.

Shorefall is mind-bending great; Robert Jackson Bennett once again proved himself that he is a precious gift for the SFF genre.

I feel like there needs to be a new genre classification for Robert Jackson Bennett’s books, an urban fantasy? Check. High fantasy? Check. Sci-fi? Check. Urban high SFF it is. Yes, it is always a safe bet to read Bennett’s books when you’re in need of a refreshing, fabulous, and incredible read that b
Miranda Reads
description

Just published my October Book Vlog and whew! It was a lot of reading but so worth it!
The Written Review
description

There is no innovation that will ever spring from the minds of men that will not eventually be used for slaughter and control.
Tevanne City just barely survived the most recent disaster, and with everyone (at least for now) safe, Sancia and her friends focus on breaking up the monopoly on scrivings (magical writings).

Which (unsurprisingly) leads to a lot of corporate sabotage.
jessica
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when there is a lot going on in the world thats easy to complain about, i find it important to remain positive and be grateful for the small things. like the fact that i was given an ARC of this and it fully met all of my very high expectations.

this series is something else. ive said it before, but this is the PERFECT fantasy series for those who dont like fantasy or are wanting to get more into the genre. its a very subtle magical system - it plays a great part in the story, but it doesnt dema
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
You know that feeling when the book you just finished reading is so Bloody Slightly Amazing (BSA™) that you have no Bloody Fishing Idea (BFI™) what to say about it? Yeah well, hello and welcome to yet another Robert Jackson Bennett Wrote It Ergo Quite Blank My Little Mind Is (RBJWIEQBMLMI™) review, my Little Barnacles.

*desperately looks at the whole of her two lines of notes for this book in search of inspiration*
*fails epically (albeit nefariously)*

Okay okay, I can do this and stuff. I ruthles
Samantha
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

tw: off screen suicide and some brief suicidal ideation; body horror

This book takes place 3 years after the first book, and is less an action packed sequel and more a sequel about found family, choices, innovation, and the collective. The magical/technological concept of scriving is much more of a focus in this book, and those concepts do slow it down a bit at times. But, the villain and the conflicts he brings up are outstanding. Also the found family and f/f romance feels in here ar
Bradley
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is AWESOME!

No spoilers, no matter how much I want to go on and on about all the great things in this sequel, but I can say a few things.

If you loved how so many wonderful magical goodnesses came out of the magic system in Foundryside, how they could all argue reality out of commission, find new loopholes, reprogram it again, and do it all while being one of the biggest magical heists in modern fantasy, you will totally FREAK OUT when you see Shorefall.

Foundryside was all kinds of awesome an
Ginger
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2020
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.

Wow!! 5 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
This book was epic and mind boggling.

Shorefall is the second book in the Founders series and it’s just as good as the 1st book! Not only is the writing amazing, but the characterization in this book is fantastic.

Shorefall starts off 2-3 years after Foundryside.
Sancia, Berenice, Orso and Gregory have founded their own scriving business. They're using the technology to better serve the poor and nee
Jeffrey Keeten
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
”’You don’t know how many empires I’ve crushed in my day,’ boomed Crasedes.

As the soldiers struck the walls they just kept screaming, pinned to the stone, and Orso realized that whatever force had pushed them there was still pushing, still growing stronger, pushing and pushing until the soldiers began to collapse, like they were being compressed by a giant, flat surface…

‘Oh my God,’ whispered Orso.

‘The thing that irks me the most,’ said Crasedes, ‘is that you all think you’re so special. So uni
Dave
Prepare to have your mind blown to smithereens. Shorefall, the second book in Bennett's Founders series, takes the story and the ideas first posited in Foundryside and doesn't just build on them, but blasts those ideas to the stratosphere. This is a thrilling, engaging, exciting sequel that takes the reader on a strange journey through one of the most unique fantasy worlds ever created.

Tevanne is a city state in this world which is built on the sea and has numerous canals and mountains. It feel
Hamad
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

“Every innovation—technological, sociological, or otherwise—begins as a crusade, organizes itself into a practical business, and then, over time, degrades into common exploitation.”

I am going to review both books together in one review because my feelings and thoughts on both books are similar and I won’t be talking much about the plot.

I discovered this series couple of years ago through my fantasy enthusiastic friends. I got really invol
Robin (Bridge Four)
Release Day!!!

This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

description

Shorefall is the second book the Founders series. This is a series that builds on the prior books and so you need to read them in order to have any idea what is going on. I actually re-read Foundryside right before jumping into Shorefall since it was one of my favorite books of 2018 and there are a lot of
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
One of the very first books I reviewed on my blog was Foundryside, first in the Founders Trilogy. I’ll never forget the experience of reading it. I was invited to read the book then as well, and I’m grateful for that because I was unlikely to pick up a fantasy book on my own. I would have been missing out. Robert Jackson Bennett has legions of fans, and once you get lost in one of his stories, it’s easy to see why.

It’s also challenging to write about Shorefall and this series because I don’t wan
Deborah Obida
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult
Non stop action packed fantasy with great plot and complex magic system. There was also an ancient creature/god who wanted to remake the world.

“Learn what your city has forgotten,” he said. “What men of power have forgotten time and time again, throughout history—that there is always, always something mightier.”

Shorefall is the second book in this series. The events in this book took place three years after Foundryside. To be honest I'm a little disappointed in this book. Though the comrades
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Happy Pub Day to Shorefall!

Oh Shorefall, how short have you fallen ( I think I'm so clever). My expectations for this book were higher than high. I kept checking the release date, kept waiting for cover reveal and when I got an ARC for this I literally screamed (happy screams, happy screams).

And now that I have read it - I have very mediocre feelings about it. Because that's what this was - mediocre. Like lukewarm tea, you have to finish because you don't want to waste it.

Ok, that was a bit dr
J.M. Storin
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did anyone expect this to be less than 5 stars?
Silvana
Yet another case of "it's not you, it's me".

I tried to enjoy this book, I did. I gave Foundryside three stars since I believe there were things that could be better. This sequel just made it worse for me. There were barely sufficient character work for me, except Gregor. Sancia and Berenice and Orso were just there, existed. The gods - my pet peeve in fantasy - were not that interesting and at times even bored me with their overlengthy declarations.

Speaking of overlengthy, I found the book spent
Steven
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

So book one had some awesome world-building, a cool magic system, and a budding LGBTQ+ relationship.

This book took all of those things and took them up a notch.

We got further development of the relationship - a LOT further. Like, read it and find out what I mean, but definitely advancement of that.

The world got a little bigger and a little more magical too. We saw Orso, Gregor, Sancia, and Berenic
Caidyn (he/him/his)
(4/21: Now it's out!! Since time is weird and getting books are hard, I want to promote my favorite book from March!)

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

CW: violence, blood, gore, war, and deception

If I thought the first book was intense, nothing compared me for this one. I was legit sitting at my desk for a few minutes trying to realize what I read at the end and that this is going to be one hell of a book series, as if it wasn't already.

I'll likely have spoilers
Adam
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“What a critical and crushing thing, perspective is …”

Robert Jackson Bennett is in both an enviable and a difficult situation. He’s one of the most imaginative writers in fantasy today, but that carries a sky-high level of expectation that can be difficult to meet. His latest book, Shorefall, is the second book of the Founders trilogy, and often the middle book of any trilogy is the weakest, so I admit to having some trepidation before starting it. I could not fathom how Bennett could improve up
Faith
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is the second of the trilogy and I don’t think that it can be read as a standalone. All of the setup of the characters is in the first book and if you skip it you’ll never know what an entertaining character Clef can be. (He’s a sentient key.) I thought that the first book also gave a clearer explanation of the scriving magic that encodes sentience into inanimate objects and enables some people to control them. In this book, it felt like new rules and powers for scriving cropped up on ...more
Hacen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received from NetGalley
Montzalee Wittmann
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shorefall
(The Founders Trilogy #2)
by Robert Jackson Bennett
This is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. This is a good fantasy adventure that follows book one some unknown time after. It makes more sense to read book one first. I didn't find this one as exciting as book one. It has some of the same characters and new ones too. Like the magic use!
Yodamom
What a twisted shrived magical fiendish web of deceit the author has woven. I just finished and feel like I need to catch my breath. I’m still hanging off the side of the cliffhanger ending. Everything was a question with unknown answers, with lies, truthful answers that could be twisted to seem other. You think you know, they thought they knew but could you know if you have been lied to ? But, which are the lies ?
Oh it is intense, there was some serious power struggles going on. Power rearing i
Tim
Sep 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a letdown compared to Foundryside #1. Expected more and got lots less. 2 of 10 stars.
Gabrielle
Oh, Mr. Bennett, your books never let me down.

Set 3 years after the events of “Foundryside” (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...), “Shorefall” hits the ground running from the first page: Sancia and Orso now have their own company, but they haven’t lost their old habits, and during an organized trade with the members of a campo, they set a series of events in motion that make this fast-paced urban fantasy very hard to put down!

Do not read further if you don’t want “Foundryside” spoilers!

The
Yodamom
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a twisted scribed magical fiendish web of deceit the author has woven. I just finished and feel like I need to catch my breath. I’m still hanging off the side of the cliffhanger ending. Everything was a question with unknown answers, with lies, truthful answers that could be twisted to seem other. You think you know, they thought they knew but could you know if you have been lied to ? But, which are the lies ?
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/04/21/...

Looking back at my review for Foundryside, it seemed I loved the book, so I was actually surprised at how little I retained from the story. Luckily, its sequel Shorefall does a hell of a job catching readers up, and soon I was feeling comfortably back in the magical world of the series. That said, the initial disorientation may have impacted my overall experience, not to mention the “wearing off of novelty” effect that com
Alaina
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, Shorefall took forever to get through. So much happened in this one and I'm not sure how I'm still handling/processing everything. The ending was such a damn cliffhanger and now I'm left with endless questions! I'm hoping a certain someone isn't dead and maybe just slightly injured??

Besides hoping, again, so much happened in this book. Thankfully this sequel didn't get hit with the horrible second book syndrome. Althou

• Тайна таежной деревни (Нормальное аномальное, #1)
  • The Essence of Malice (Amory Ames #4)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Atomka (Sharko & Hennebelle #7)
  • Crashing Heaven (Station #1)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • The Queen of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #2)
  • The Art of Rivalry: Four Friendships, Betrayals, and Breakthroughs in Modern Art
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Devil's Rose
  • Галерея последних портретов (Нормальное аномальное, #6)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • Stone Cold Touch (The Dark Elements, #2)
  • Bitter Sweet Love (The Dark Elements, #0.5)
  • Every Last Breath (The Dark Elements, #3)
Robert Jackson Bennett is a two-time award winner of the Shirley Jackson Award for Best Novel, an Edgar Award winner for Best Paperback Original, and is also the 2010 recipient of the Sydney J Bounds Award for Best Newcomer, and a Philip K Dick Award Citation of Excellence. City of Stairs was shortlisted for the Locus Award and the World Fantasy Award. City of Blades was a finalist for the 2015 Wo ...more

The Founders Trilogy (3 books)
  • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy, #1)
  • Untitled (The Founders Trilogy, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Space operas, magic, destiny, dystopia, aliens: There's a bit of something for everyone in 2020's latest offerings in science fiction and...
“Learn what your city has forgotten. What men of power have forgotten time and time again, throughout history—that there is always, always something mightier.” 4 likes
“remember the plan,” said Sancia. “I just also remember there’s a lot of spots in the plan that say, ‘Sancia improvises a bunch of shit.’ Which is not, you know, comforting.” 2 likes