Start by marking “Mary, que escribió Frankenstein” as Want to Read:
Mary, que escribió Frankenstein

Mary, que escribió Frankenstein

¿Cómo empieza una historia? A veces, todo comienza con un sueño. Mary es una gran soñadora, una niña que aprende a leer siguiendo el trazo de las letras escritas sobre la tumba de su madre, la pionera del feminismo Mary Wollstonecraft. Años después, en una noche de tormenta, escribirá una historia de fantasmas, y soñará despierta con un monstruo que cobra vida: Frankenstei ...more
Hardcover, La pequeña Impedimenta, 56 pages
Published October 2018 by Impedimenta (first published August 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mary, que escribió Frankenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary, que escribió Frankenstein

Start your review of Mary, que escribió Frankenstein
Nick
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Okay this was amazing. The graphics were so beautifully done. Mysterious, gothic, perfect for this season.

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Carol
I love Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN. I remember reading it for the first time just a few years ago and being so surprised by how different and wonderful the story was compared to the television interpretation. So when I saw this absolutely fabulous book cover, just had to read it even though it was written for children.

This illustrated novel reminds us of how the story came to be for a young eighteen year old runaway girl with a monstrous dream and amazing imagination.

As for the graphics....so

Nick
Oct 05, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This looks so aesthetically pleasing.

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Warda
I read this as a bed time story to my little sister who really enjoyed it.
I love the way it told the story of Mary Shelley and how Frankenstein came about. It gave the reader enough of a glimpse into her life, but also for one to want to do their own research about it.

Coupled with the gorgeous illustrations, it made for a great, haunting children’s book.

Thank you to Andersen Press for a copy of this book.
Jon Nakapalau
Still in awe that an 18 year old woman wrote this horror classic! Great background to the story with atmospheric art!
Jane
Mary, Who Wrote Frankenstein is a truly gorgeous book.  Júlia Sardà's illustrations are lush and filled with so much detail you could probably read this several times and still end up seeing new things on each page.

This is the story of how Mary Shelley came to write her still-popular story, Frankenstein. It will appeal to Mary Shelley fans of any age and is an excellent example of a biography for new readers. Linda Bailey's note at the back of the book is very informative, but I suspect that
Manybooks
Now textually, Linda Bailey absolutely does provide an atmospherically rich and evocative introduction to both Mary Shelley's life and the events that precipitated the genesis of her famous novel Frankenstein (with enough details and information regarding Mary's childhood and how the presented contest by Lord Byron about who could write the best ghost story caused Mary to have an imaginative and horrifying dream about a created monster which then became the basis of and for her Frankenstein, to ...more
Lata
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this child's biography of Mary Shelley. The author describes Mary’s early family life and influences. And, of course, the events and ideas that led to her most famous work, "Frankenstein".
The author is clearly impressed with Mary Shelley and her imagination. Obviously the "scandalous" aspects of Mary's life aren't covered in this biography, as well as her many creative efforts subsequent to the creation of her classic work.
The illustrations accompanying this book are gorgeous. I'm a f
Cristina Monica
I had no idea.

Well first I’ve never actually read the classic Frankenstein. Like pretty much everyone else, I know what it’s about and confuse Frankenstein the monster with the doctor, but I’ve never had to read it for school (I went to a francophone high school) and I would much rather read a romantic classic than a scary one.

But this was fascinating. Learning about the author actually made me more interested in her novel. Not just because I feel a connection to Mary so I’ll hopefully connect t
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Young Mary was a dreamer who learned to read by tracing the letters on her mother's tombstone and then began writing her own stories. She's very much like her mother, a writer and strong willed thinker and grows up surrounded by philosophers, artists, and scientists. Her family is horrified when she runs away with the poet Percy Shelley. The young couple meets famous poet Lord Byron on their adventure across Europe and stay with him at a home on Lake Geneva. During a summer storm Mary finds hers ...more
La Coccinelle
This is a very cool picture-book biography of Mary Shelley, specifically focusing on her early years and the creation of her famous novel, Frankenstein.

I always love it when picture books can teach me things I didn't know before. The information in this book may be basic, but I'd never really read much about Mary Shelley. The story of how she came up with the idea of her classic book is intriguing. The stylized illustrations fit the dark tone of the book quite well, and I really enjoyed looking
David Schaafsma
I ordered this at my library because it was illustrated by Júlia Sardà, who also illustrated The Liszts that I read a day ago. As with that book, the illustrations are way the best thing about it, this crazy fun art deco thing. Oh, Mary Shelley's story is completely fascinating, of course--running off with the poet Lord Byron at 16, and the writing prompt one evening from Byron to write a scary story, and the whole crazy nightmare that leads to her writing Frankenstein at 16--and Bailey gives yo ...more
Danielle
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Oh, I love this book. The same artist who illustrated THE LISZTS brings pattern and richness and strange melancholy. And what struck me about the story was the voice. There's a sense of suspense through questions and beats you must wait for. It doesn't shy away from the gruesome or scary. It affirms that unexpected people accomplish amazing things, the creative process, and imagination.

The bookend illustrations of young Mary and older Mary dreaming while wake, surrounded by books, are wonderful
Mel (Epic Reading)
While this is a picture book (for children presumably) I am desperate to get a copy for my own shelf. Not only are the illustrations dreary, yet gorgeous but they are just perfect given the subject matter. Illustrator Julia Sarda (yes the famous illustrator from many other children’s books) has captured the Victorian age and Mary’s melancholy so well in her dark and moody art.

In the opening pages I wasn’t sure that Linda Bailey’s (a Canadian!) story of Mary Shelley was kid appropriate. Also kno
Louise / Daisy May Johnson
It has been a long time since I have read something so perfect as this, and if it doesn't win the Kate Greenaway Medal this year, or at the very least make the shortlist, then I'll hand in my badge. I'm not sure that I have an actual badge, so to speak, but I'm trying to work on a metaphor that tells you how great this book is and how blindingly, utterly, brilliant it does what it does, and so I'll hope you'll forgive me my delirium and go out and buy it straight away. Because it's good. Honestl ...more
Literary Soirée
MARY WHO WROTE FRANKENSTEIN is a mesmerizing picture book about the young woman who wrote the greatest horror novel — and one of the first science fiction books — ever written. A glorious exploration, with beautiful illustrations, of the process of artistic creation that will encinspire readers and writers of all ages. 5/5

Thank you to the author, Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#MaryWhoWroteFrankenstein #NetGalley
Molly
The illustrations in this are gorgeous, and any book that gets a young reader interested in a classic novel has an instant hold on my heart. Mary Shelley and Frankenstein are two of my favorite things, and while the novel itself may not be appropriate for children, this would be a great way to pique their interest in the text for the future. And I cannot stress enough how great the illustrations are. I probably will buy a copy for myself, honestly.
Racheal
Edited to add: Reread this today and darned if it didn't make me tear up.
Mary's mother was a great thinker. She wrote books to say that women should have the same rights as men. She dies when Mary was only eleven days old.

Can you miss someone you've never known?

Mary Does

Original review:
Excellently done! This sure creates an atmosphere with its evocative prose and brooding illustrations.

There are a few details that I'm going to have to check up on; for one thing, this doesn't talk about the fact
Jeimy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations alone are worthy of a 5-star rating. Thankfully, the text is equally worthy in this introduction to Mary Shelley’s life and masterpiece.
Sandra
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I don't normally read children's books, but this was just gorgeous
Shiloah
A great introduction to Mary Shelley as the author of Frankenstein with children in mind.
Callum McLaughlin
A very condensed, introductory biography of Mary Shelley, with a particular focus on how she came to write her magnum opus, Frankenstein. I’m certainly no expert, but as someone with a keen interest in Shelley, this didn’t teach me anything new. That said, I picked it up mostly for Sardà’s gorgeous illustrations, which are suitably atmospheric and enchanting.

The beauty of the artwork, combined with Bailey's simple prose, and the book’s overall brevity, make this an enjoyable glimpse of a fascina
This is not only a cool telling of the creation of the story of Frankenstein's monster, but interesting facts about Mary Shelley's life, that I was not aware of.

It is pretty amazing stuff, and all told in a frairly sparce compact picture book.

Great pictures too.

This is one of her as a child, listening to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, in hiding, since she was supposed to be in bed.
Mary who wrote frankenstien-listening to poetry

Or these to pictures both of her envisioning the monster, and a drawing of the monster being created.

Mary who wrote frankenstein- in bed

Mary who wrote frankenstein-image of the monster

Great way to
Flavia
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve definitely been enjoying all of the Frankenstein and Mary Shelley related books that have been coming out this year because of Frankenstein‘s 200th anniversary, and this book was no exception. I was very impressed with how Mary’s story was adapted for children, while also keeping a lot of the dark elements in place. The artist’s style definitely works with this adaptation, as well as the tone, in my opinion. I absolutely love the mix of dark and warm mediums, and really like how all of the ...more
Susan
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as picture book biographies go, this is amazing. The illustrations are fantastic!
I probably didn't appreciate Frankenstein enough when I read it in high school.
Kate
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't considered that children might be interested in biographies like this, but of course many children have heard of Frankenstein. From what I know about Mary Shelley's life, this was accurate. I loved the artist's interpretation of the text, which looked old-fashioned with muted tones, but the use of line created vibrant movement. I imagine there are kids (like the kid I once was) who are fascinated by ghost stories and would love the imagination and mystery and the broader interpretation ...more
Doug
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read a very similar children's book (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) and discovered that there was this one also. Of the two, I liked this one better, as the illustrations were more interesting, and the author went into more detail on the story itself (however, I DON'T think she needed to mention Mary was only 18 when she wrote her masterpiece FIVE times!) ...more
Manon
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gosh this was gorgeous!! I was incredibly tempted to cut out some of the illustrated pages to frame them but I refreined because I want to be able to lend this book, it’s too good not to share!
I knew the story already, had studied a bit of the literary importance of Mary’s work in a class about gothic; but this children biography is really well made and the simplification doesn’t take away one bit of the feminist comment or of the poetic allusions one can make about it.
Jen-Jen
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming and absolutely gorgeous story of Mary.
Chinook
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, kids, feminism
I loved this biographical picture book. Mary’s life is fascinating and it’s a well written story, with just a slight sense of creepy tension. The illustrations are wonderful.

• She Made a Monster: How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein
  • The Suitcase
  • Go Show the World: A Celebration of Indigenous Heroes
  • You're Snug with Me
  • The Eye That Never Sleeps: How Detective Pinkerton Saved President Lincoln
  • The Dam
  • Child of St Kilda
  • Momo, tome 1 (Momo, #1)
  • The Truly Brave Princesses
  • Rise!: From Caged Bird to Poet of the People, Maya Angelou
  • Counting on Katherine: How Katherine Johnson Saved Apollo 13
  • Joan Procter, Dragon Doctor: The Woman Who Loved Reptiles
  • Poop
I was born and grew up in Winnipeg —a daydreamer with her nose in a book. In my twenties, I traveled around the world, mostly by ship. Later, I moved to Vancouver, where I earned a B.A. and M.Ed. at the University of British Columbia. Among my jobs were travel agent, college teacher, instructional designer and editor.

For years, I dabbled with writing. But I didn't begin to write in earnest until