Start by marking “The Cut-throat Celts” as Want to Read:
The Cut-throat Celts

The Cut-throat Celts (Horrible Histories)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,317 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Terry Deary's take on Celtic history, nude fighting, human head collection, laughing at funerals, suffering Saints and Dreadful Druids.
Published April 18th 1997 by HIPPO (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Cut-throat Celts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cut-throat Celts

Milagros
Dec 08, 2011 Milagros rated it liked it
The series is quite good for getting children interested in history, but this is one of the weakest volumes. Understandably so, since most of what is known about the Celts comes from Roman accounts.
Sami
Sep 10, 2012 Sami rated it it was amazing

The Cut-Throat Celts is a non-fictional book about Celtic life, religion, and war. It tells us about everything from Druids to Rome's invasions. It is very fun to read, but the author, Terry Deary makes the people in it look less realistic, unlike a history book. However, in some ways, The Cut-Throat Celts is a well taught history lesson because of the little quizzes in the middle and end of the book. The Cut-Throat Celts is a thoughtful, funny way of describing history. It engages readers and
Luke
Jan 08, 2013 Luke rated it it was amazing
The cut-throat Celts in the horrible history collection is one of my favourite books in the series. A great access point for anyone who loves or even hates history, the vivid descriptions of the sights, smells and even the tastes draws a young reader in.

The language isn't particularly challenging but the books are longer than your average primary school book, so requires some determination. Although with the great way it is written the pages fly past. Also the chapter titles allow you to skip to
Colm O'brien
Jun 25, 2012 Colm O'brien rated it really liked it
This is a gruesome and gory account of the Celtic clans that dominated much of Europe before the rise of the Roman Empire. It is suitable for children from the ages of 9-12. Within the first few lines, I was hooked and wanted to read to the end. I found it really witty but also very factual. A great, very enjoyable way to learn history. It is a fantastic way for children to realise that learning can be fun and it really brings the Celtic world to life. Terry Deary continues to make history acces ...more
Siobhan
Sep 06, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it
As a child history was one of my favourite school subjects thus making Horrible Histories the perfect books for me.

Nowadays children have the television series yet I belong to the older group that had the books. Personally, I believe any child who has an interest in history should give these books a go. They’re truly gripping and so many topics are covered.

Honestly, Horrible Histories are well worth a read.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
Horrible Histories is a series of illustrated books published in the UK by Scholastic. They are designed to get children interested in history by concentrating on the trivial, unusual, gory, or unpleasant. They are exceptionally well loved by my history loving children
Victoria Zigler
Feb 18, 2017 Victoria Zigler rated it really liked it
An interesting look at Celtic history. Like the other books I've read from this series so far, this is a great book, if you can stomach the gory details, but a frustrating one to read if you're using text to speach, since you miss parts of it due to them being displayed in what are essentially images.
sabisteb
Mar 09, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing
It was a hard life beeing a Celt, dodging the Druids and running from the Romans.
The Romans were horrible historians who tried to give the Celts a bad name. But for 1500 years every other historian has repeated the same "facts". The trouble with the Celts is they didn't bother to write much. So a lot of the things we hear about them were written by their enemies - people like the Romans. Would you trust your enemy to write things about you?
Die "Horrible Histories" sind eine erfolgreiche englisch
Heidi
Feb 19, 2017 Heidi rated it really liked it
James and I are working through a few of the Horrible Histories books while we decide what other series we want to read aloud.
Kathleen
Okay let's talk about the Horrible Histories.

You may be aware of them as a TV show, which I highly, highly recommend, but you may not be aware that they are also books! Which I also recommend!

It's hard to talk about the Horrible Histories specifically. They're hysterical short nonfiction books consisting of maybe 120 pages tops? Aimed at children, they set out to tell you all about the really nasty side of history, which I am always down for. They're smart and funny with great illustrations, and
Joseph Leskey
Oct 07, 2016 Joseph Leskey rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: quite a few people
Shelves: reviewed, fact, humor, history
Like nearly all Horrible Histories books, this was a good one. It includes incredibly gruesome and engrossing historical facts which are just lovely to read, but nothing much (if anything at all) in the way of other possibly objectionable content.

___________________

Please Note: I accidentally neglected to review some Horrible Histories books until February 2, 2017 and Horrible Histories are best reviewed the selfsame hour a person finishes the reading of them. Therefore, I have written the above
Dane Cobain
Feb 10, 2014 Dane Cobain rated it really liked it
I was always fascinated by history as a kid, and so the Horrible Histories series held me enchanted for a good half-decade. In particular, I loved the Vicious Vikings and the Rotten Romans, but the Celts were interesting too, mainly because of the druids.

Considering Deary had the unenviable task of teaching me about Celts when I'd rather be learning about Thor and Valkyries, he pulled a blinder - I'm pretty sure I could read a Horrible Histories book about the history of agriculture and find it
Graham
Jul 15, 2008 Graham added it
Hilarious!: I had never heard of the "Horrible Histories" series until I picked this book up in a souvenir shop while on holiday in Scotland. Always having an interest in Celtic history, I was eager to read it. Within the first few lines, I was hooked and wanted to read to the end. I found it really witty but also very factual. A great, very enjoyable way to learn history. I have read it several times now and it still cracks me up! I was delighted to discover that it was part of a series and I a ...more
Tiwi / Kayleigh
Apr 17, 2017 Tiwi / Kayleigh rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
So I've always loved the Horrible histories books. They are quit hard to find in the Netherlands. They are translated but ofcourse, I wanted the English editions.
I found this one in a thrift shop in Dublin. Was so excited.
It is just a fun little book filled with information about the Celts and a lot of jokes.
The information can be incorrect but the jokes are awesome.
I was a fun quick read.
I recommend it if you want to read something funny and something about celtic culture.
Mcruz
Jun 07, 2014 Mcruz rated it really liked it
Interesante propuesta que pretende acercar la historia a los más jóvenes. Para ello, nos cuenta las partes más escabrosas y llamativas de las etapas anteriores. En este caso, mucho de lo referido depende de crónicas romanas de dudosa credibilidad. Pero aún así el libro invita a profundizar en el estudio de la cultura celta de forma divertida y amena. Echo en falta más iniciativas de este tipo en castellano.
Deirdre
ah, pan celtica. where what happened in one place is a universal celtic experience, even without some of the modern doubts about celtic being a true racial and not social experience.

most good but very generic, it's like claiming that the experience of being irish in Dublin is applicable across the whole country
Anuszka Gojke
This was an interesting book to read. I had always been interested in Celtic history because it always seemed so confusing. (I always got it mixed up with the Scottish history but now I've got that all cleared up). Horrible History books are the best for those who usually find the subject really boring. Definitely read it!
Claudia
Dec 30, 2016 Claudia rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This is actually my least favourite of the Horrible History books (you'll notice that it's still 3 stars despite that, there are no bad Horrible History books). I think that's because some of the stories are repeated, more than once, within the book. I'm not sure if that's because the Celts left so little record of themselves. It does have some fantastic illustrations though.
Jen
Mar 05, 2015 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adored these books as a kid. I used to be really into my history so I thought I'd revisit them! I can't think of a better way to get children loving history than by reading these books. And the some of the puns are so cheesy, they make me laugh out loud!
Charlotte
Nov 28, 2013 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I think this book would be a very interesting book for students who love history. It talks about ancient curses, traditions, sacrifices, etc. I particularly love the part where the author writes about ancient secret messages!
Nayantara
Jan 10, 2013 Nayantara rated it really liked it
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
Rachel
Jul 29, 2007 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngadult, history
If you're not a fan of reading history books intended for adults, then the Horrible Histories series is the perfect way to learn. It has a great sense of humor and keeps history entertaining. I discovered this series at the British Museum in London and have been addicted ever since!
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
These still amuse me, 15 years later. I loved them when I was younger, and judging by this particular book - I still love them. Filled with great facts, funny illustrations, and fun quizzes, these are a great way to introduce a reluctant reader to the cooler parts of History.
Diogo Silva
Sep 30, 2013 Diogo Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A awesome way to learn history, with a lot of laughs! I had no idea how they did some of the things they did and who they truly where, and its cool to see that in some ways, we are not that different (except about the sacrifices!).
Matthew Trelc
Feb 04, 2013 Matthew Trelc rated it really liked it
this was a very good book besides that there was some really gross things in it, but that is because it is celt life.
other than that i learned alot about celts.
Lisa
Nov 30, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Awesome, I totally love the horrible histories series. They are educational in a fun way, I totally love it! When I go to the library I'll go and borrow another one.
Hazel
Apr 18, 2010 Hazel rated it it was amazing
OMG! I loved these books! I had all of them from scholastic book orders when I was younger. They are a perfect way to get kids to learn some history. Fun and informative at the same time!
Miles Dracula
May 30, 2008 Miles Dracula rated it it was amazing
my personal favorite horrible history
Katie
Dec 27, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, history
A really interesting book. I learnt a lot about the Celts and their customs that I didn't know before.
crashy
Jun 27, 2012 crashy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best, favourite
BEST OF BOOKS ABOUT HISTORY!!! :)
  • Bulging Brains (Horrible Science)
  • Violent Volcanoes (Horrible Geography)
  • The Gobsmacking Galaxy (The Knowledge)
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Henry the VIII and His Chopping Block
  • Evolve or Die (Horrible Science)
  • Tajemnica zielonej pieczęci
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • The Terrible Tudors
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
  • The Vile Victorians