Start by marking “Naondel (Punase kloostri kroonikad #2)” as Want to Read:
Naondel (Punase kloostri kroonikad #2)

Naondel

(The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)

Luksuslikus Ohaddini palees on naistel vaid üks ülesanne – sõna kuulata.

Mõned toodi siia juba tüdrukuna, püüti kinni ja orjastati; teised toodi teenijannadeks; kolmandad abikaasadeks. Nad kõik peavad tegema seda, mida isand käsib, sest tema käes on salajane ja surmav võim. Kuid ka naistel on omad saladused. Üks neist on ravitseja. Teine suudab kontrollida unenägusid. Kolm
Published October 2018 by Varrak (first published October 21st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Naondel, please sign up.
Crystal Absolutely. It's actually a prequel and adds to the reading of Maresi.

Tatiana
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy, ya, 1, starred-2018
I don't think I convinced anyone to read "Maresi" earlier this year, and I probably won't convince anyone to read its prequel, which is very unfortunate. Of many YA fantasy novels published these days, this one definitely offers something different. The novel's main characters reside in a harem, and knowing that "Maresi" takes place on island where women find safe haven from oppression of men, it's no spoiler to say that women of "Naondel" hate their husband/owner/abuser/rapist and seek escape f ...more
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)

Naondel reads like a mash-up of A Thousand Nights and Memoirs of a Geisha. Like the former, it is a feminist testimony to the outward weakness but inward strength of women. Like the latter, it is filled with hardship, and struggles, and pain, which – balanced by the beautiful setting and writing – made this a bittersweet kind of read, both beautiful and dreadful.

Whilst marketed in the Teens & YA section on NetGalley, the content is brutal and devastating in both a psychological and
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Power, control, feminism, survival, magic.

I knew from the moment I read about the Naondel in Maresi that I had to know more.

This book is written in a slightly different style from Maresi, with the narrative changing at intervals between different characters. It still has the same feel to the writing, it's still quite blunt and in your face at times, but I loved it. I could easily distinguish between the characters - and quickly realised that I had a favourite. I just love Garai, okay?

I
Kristīne
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feministu fantasy!
Bet ļoti labā nozīmē. Spēcīgāks, krāsaināks un sāpīgāks stāsts par Marēsi, tāda pieaugušo versija autores iepriekšējai grāmatai.
Doronike
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: somugri, read_2019
Jā, tas tomēr bija skaisti. Kaut kādā ziņa man pat negribētos ierindot šo romānu pie fantāzijas literatūras, bet drīzāk pie pasakām. Nu tādām loti drūmām pasakām. Katrā ziņā šis ir fantāzijas atzars, kas mani ļoti uzrunā - ja atņem mistiku, tad viss ir diezgan reālistiski.
Nevar noliegt, ka mani iepriecina, ka tas ir sievietes rakstīts romāns sievietēm bez rozā puņķiem, bet par sieviešu draudzību, vienotību, māsību.
The Librarian Witch
I just CANNOT get enough of this series!

I loved both this, and Maresi (the first in the series) in equal, yet different measure.
More books filled to bursting with strong, awesome female characters please?!

This instalment was so much darker.
So much heavier.
Filled with so much more evil and malevolence.

And I loved it!

It was such a great origin story for The Red Abbey, and I can't wait for book number three!
Anna - Boktycke
Ehh, I read this without knowing that this is a sequel (or actually a prequel). Anyway, it was a very good read with a lot of interesting characters. Love the settings and the writing was good. The only thing I didn't like is that the main villain is toooo evil and basically rapes every women he encounters :/

I am going to look for the first book now :)
Rosa
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maria Turtschaninoffin vastikään imestynyt nuorten fantasiaromaani Naondel on kertomus naisista, jotka perustavat jo Turtschaninoffin edellisestä romaanista Maresista tutun Punaisen luostarin. Vaikka teos on itsenäinen jatko-osa Maresille, se sijoittuu aikaan ennen tätä. Luostaria perustamaan päästään vasta kirjan lopussa, ja sitä ennen tarina kertoo naisten elämästä vankeina Karenokoin visiiri Iskanin haaremissa. Iskan on paha ja vallanhimoinen ja pitää naisia ja koko valtakuntaa kynsissään maa ...more
Reta Anna Maria
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Ei tämä kyllä mikään nuortenkirja ollut, ja oikeastaan hyvä niin. Osui ja upposi, erittäin mainio kirja. Ainoastaan haittasi lopussa päähenkilöiden suuri määrä ja siitä seuraava hahmojen sekoittaminen toisiinsa.
Anastasia Alén
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finnish-lit
Aluksi en ollut ihan varma tykkäänkö tästä vai ei mutta kyllä tästä kehkeytyi edeltäjäänsäkin vahvempi ja kauniimpi kirja. Fantasikirjallisuudessa tämänkaltainen naiskeskeisyys on harvinnaista ja Turtschaninoff kirjoittaa sen loistavasti tarinaan, feminismi on läsnä muttei hyökkää vaan toteaa.
Cisz Strasters
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Anji schenkt leven en voorspoed, als je haar water op het juiste moment gebruikt." ~ p35.

Wat een prachtig verhaal!! Ik vind het gewoon jammer dat hij alweer uit is. Ik ben echt door de pagina's heen gevlogen, en elke letter opgezogen alsof het de laatste was....

"Ik was dan van andersmans dromen af, maar die van mezelf waren ook niet fraai." ~ p155.

Naondel is het tweede deel uit de Kronieken van het Rode Klooster en verteld het verhaal van de Oerzusters. Je leest de memoires opgeschreven door de
Vikki Patis
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told through the perspectives of multiple women, Naondel is heartbreaking, breathtaking, and utterly feminist. It's a story of women, sisterhood, and survival.

We begin with Kabira, a young woman from a wealthy family, who guards the secret of Anji, the spring that gives life - and controls it. Kabira falls in love with Iskan, son of a powerful man in the realm, and shows him what Anji can do. Iskan's evil soon rears its head, and Kabira is terrified of what she's unleashed. But she is trapped i
Reetta Saine
Huh, melkein tekisi mieli heittää aikuisten osastolle mutta ei sittenkään. Tuhannen ja yhden yön tarujen (niiden alkuperäisten) fiilistä vallan, seksin, sadismin, alistamisen, ystävyyden, puolustautumisen ja nöyryyttämisen kautta.

Maresiin tekisi mieli palata ja tutkia, kuinka nämä synkät tarinat elävät "nykynuorten" parissa saarella ja kuinka elämä jatkuukaan aina kaikesta huolimatta.

Kieli on upeaa matkatessaan vanhahtavasta sadunomaisuudesta psykologisiin itsetutkiskeluihin ja lähes poliisirap
Emilie
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ai miten mahtava ja jännittävä kirja! Rohkea, väkivaltainen ja naisvoittoinen!

Kiinnostavat, monimuotoiset päähenkilöt ja kertojanäkökulmat pitivät otteessaan ja ylläpitivät mielenkiintoa loppuun asti. Juoni ja siinä esiintyvien naishenkilöiden elämät kietoutuivat sulavasti yhteen ja kokonaisuus oli viimeisen päälle hiottu. Fantasiaosuus oli hienovaraista ja pelkistettyä, mikä sopi mielestäni kirjan maailmaan loistavasti.

Tämä olisi tosin ollut täydellinen, jos tarinassa olisi esiintynyt edes yks
Karyn Silverman
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018-reads, arcs, ya
An intense, painful but ultimately uplifting read. This will be triggering for many - the violence against women is so present, and while not graphic, it’s descriptive enough to be viscerally uncomfortable. But this is also a testament to sisterhood and the power of women. The emphasis on the small secret magics of women and the abuses of powe-hungry men (mostly just one) make this a good readalike for A Thousand Nights, but this is, I think, the stronger — and harder — read. Also despite being ...more
Ullalin
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naondel täytti odotukseni.
Amanda Kratz
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
This is beautifully written, wonderful imagery and captivating characters. However there was so much rape, and abuse I just can't force myself to continue reading it. DNF pg 78

This is book 2 in a series (although it is technically a prequel and is mostly world building) It goes back to describe the founding members of the Red Abbey (a place where women are free to do as they please) and because of that we see all the original members in their lives of oppression at the hands of the Vizier.

The fi
Suketus
Hienoja naishahmoja vallan ja väkivallan keskellä. Naondel on itsenäinen jatko-osa Maresille, ja aiheutti suuren halun lukea se uudelleen. Naondelissa paljastetaan, kuinka punainen luostari sai alkunsa. Matka sinne on ollut pitkä ja tuskainen, ja Naondelissa on luettavaa neljäsataa sivua. Tarina kuitenkin kantaa, viihdyttää ja koskettaa alusta loppuun.
Elvira
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: svenska-2016
Alltså åh så himla bra! Blev helt hänförd av den här berättelsen - så himla vacker men samtidigt otroligt brutal och mörk. Jag känner en himla massa när jag läser - obehag, glädje, sorg, ilska, spänning -, hela upplevelsen blir liksom väldigt stark.
Högt tempo, snygga miljöbeskrivningar som skapar otroligt vackra bilder i mitt huvud, intressanta, mångsidiga karaktärer och ett levande språk. Mycket bättre än vad jag tyckte Maresi var!

DOCK tycker jag att storyn blir lite väl tunn ibland - det här
Anna
description

Let me just preface this with a little note on Maresi, the first book in this series.
Maresi was a pleasant read that touched briefly on how terrible it can be to be a woman, but over all was a positive book with a really uplifting vibe. Woman escaped bad situations to come and live freely on an island that let them work and learn in a safe haven that men couldn't access. It was a nice coming-of-age tale about sisterhood and the potential that a woman can have if she's given opportunity.

This lef
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
Highly enjoyed reading this! I didn't mind the huge amount of characters, but a few of them were left a little too distant for my taste. Also I don't think this is a book for very young people? Thoughts on that, anyone?

Naondel explains a lot of those unanswered questions I had after finishing the first of the series, Maresi, but not all of them. And that's very much okay, because it makes me even more eager to read the third book some day.
Hanna Morre
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siinä missä Maresi oli napakka luunappi, on Naondel armoton ruoskansivallus. Erittäin vahva romaani, mutta myös erittäin ahdistava. En suosittelisi kovin nuorelle lukijalle. Raiskauksia on paljon ja vaikka niillä ei mässäillä (erinomainen ratkaisu, ei ole tarvis graafiselle kuvaukselle!), on tunnelma todella synkkä ja armoton.
Tästä kirjasta on vaikea keksiä moitittavaa, joten mitäpä sitä sitten suotta kaivelemaankaan. Ei hyvän mielen kirja, mutta erinomaista kirjallisuutta yli 15-vuotiaille.
Michaela Kügelgen
Alltså ååh vilken bok. Maria Turtschaninoff blir bara bättre och bättre. Boken är både hemsk och vacker och borde vara ett måste för alla!
Maia Moore
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original review posted here

* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

This book just blew me away. I really enjoyed Maresi when I read it but this was in another league. I wasn’t sure what to expect in the prequel but this perfectly told the story of the women who founded the Red Abbey.

The book is told from the point of view of each of these women. It starts with Kabira, a young girl who is the guardian to a powerful spring called Anji. When Iskan, the son of the Vizier e
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
This novel absolutely blew me away, tore my heart out and rebuilt me. It was far more than I ever expected, even though my expectations were high.

Naondel is the sequel to Maresi, a book I read earlier this year and absolutely loved. In Maresi, the island of Menos is built around the history turned mythology of seven women who founded the Red Abbey.

In Naondel, we go back to Kabira the Mother, the woman who it began with. Protector of Anji of the pool, her duties are distracted when she falls for
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones

Crystal
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received this book free from Netgalley in return for an un-biased review.

This has been a really good month for me! First I got The Girl in the Tower which I was dying to read. Then I got this book, Naondel, and I’ve been so excited to read this! The book gods are shining down on me right now!

This book is the second in the Red Abbey Chronicles series, but it actually serves as a kind of prequel to the first book, Maresi. This book follows the same themes, but it fills in the backsto
Mary Bronson
I thought this book was AMAZING! Once I got started it was hard to put down. I thought all the characters were beautifully well written and I loved how each of them told their story and how each of the characters story was woven together. Even though this is the 2nd book in The Red Abbey Chronicles it is more on the lines of a prequel. These stories were ones that were in The Red Abbey's library and we learn they exist through the main character from the first book. The plot of the story was at ...more
enricocioni
Naondel is the second book in Maria Turtschaninoff's Red Abbey Chronicles, after Maresi, which is set in the above-mentioned feminist utopia, several years after the events of Naondel. (I reviewed Maresi not long ago, and highly recommend it.) Maresi is cozy but unafraid of dealing with dark issues like mortality and violence against women; Naondel dials the darkness up to eleven. The women and girls of Maresi are confined on an island, but by their own choice, and live a life of happy industrio ...more
Stella (Paper Wings)
The Red Abbey Chronicles are SO underrated! They are amazing works of feminist fantasy (if a bit dark) that I just want everyone to read. I gave Maresi 5/5 stars, but this one gets, like 5.5/5 stars, if that's even possible? I'm almost always a fan of prequels, and Naondel did not disappoint!
Full review to come.

CW: rape, sexual assault, sex trafficking/slavery, depression, thoughts of suicide/self-harm... all in all very dark and somewhat graphic.
  • Surunhauras, lasinterävä
  • Käärmeenlumooja (Faunoidit, #1)
  • Kesän jälkeen kaikki on toisin
  • Et kävele yksin
  • Muistojenlukija (Väki, #1)
  • Lempi
  • Kudottujen kujien kaupunki
  • Kädettömät kuninkaat ja muita häiritseviä tarinoita
  • Kultarinta
  • Evna (Ravneringene, #3)
  • Yöperhonen
  • Things a Bright Girl Can Do
  • Islantilainen voittaa aina – elämää hurmaavien harhojen maassa
  • Princess Princess, Volume 02
  • Dear Julia
  • Hän sanoi nimekseen Aleia (Kaksosauringot, #1)
  • Sinun jälkeesi, Max
  • Musta kuin eebenpuu (Lumikki Andersson, #3)

The Red Abbey Chronicles (3 books)
  • Maresi (Krönikor från Röda Klostret #1)
  • Breven från Maresi (Röda klostret, #3)
“A woman taller and stronger than them was not something they could tolerate.” 3 likes
“I saw the same thing in him as I had seen in the eyes of the men who stole me and my sisters that night, and in the eyes of the men who had sold me for silver and gold: to them I am a thing.” 1 likes