Start by marking “Desert Soliloquy: A Perfectly Sane Misanthrope Hides in the Desert” as Want to Read:
Desert Soliloquy: A Perfectly Sane Misanthrope Hides in the Desert

Desert Soliloquy: A Perfectly Sane Misanthrope Hides in the Desert

"Desert Soliloquy. A Perfectly Sane Misanthrope Hides in the Desert" is like combining Walden with Blazing Saddles with a bit of history about the East Mojave Desert. How I interacted with the desert and the people I encountered while living in "my" cave is the theme that binds the manuscript together. I performed several decades of original research on the region and the ...more
Published October 17th 2018 by Desertphile Publishing

Start your review of Desert Soliloquy: A Perfectly Sane Misanthrope Hides in the Desert
David Rice
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“It’s a cynical, outrageous, politically incorrect, foul-mouthed and absolutely hilarious modern-day Walden.” — Douglas Preston (author of Lost City of the Monkey God).

“David is my favorite curmudgeon. I thoroughly enjoyed every page!” — Wonderhussy (Las Vegas Showgirl)

“Hysterically funny, but in a ‘twisted genius’ way.” — Nadia Teeze (Exotic Dancer and Contortionist)
Fredric Rice
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel was difficult to put down, I found myself staying up all night reading to find out what happened next, it was witty and informative as well as disturbing at times.

Millions of Americans, and tens of millions of people around the globe have downloaded a pamphlet from The Skeptic Tank entitled “Vanishing Point: How to disappear in America Without a Trace,” and about ten thousand new downloads of the web page is accessed every month, a phenomena which shows considerable interest in people
Carlton Phelps
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
For me it was a bit interesting at times and just seems to be a man who feels sorry for the human race or hates it. The interesting parts were his ways to survive in a place that worked against him and how people reacted when he went to town. Justified distrust by his own description of himself. He made fun of people around them without any thoughts that they were trying to get away from humanity, like him, just for a shorter time.
It seems in the end he found a way to live with humanity by work
Steve
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I received this book as part of Good Reads' First Reads program.

This book is a memoir of a guy who tires of the rat race and decides to drop out and live in a cave in the Mojave Desert. He originally planned to stay there about 4 months, and ended up spending over 2 years. He describes how to survive in the extreme heat of the desert summer and deep cold of the winter nights. How he scavenged for various items needed to make his life a little easier, how he setup a still with some ca
Milo
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
The world's entire body of words in all languages are not enough to describe just how much I love this book. The stories are written in the first person point of view (as it is a memoir), and are brilliantly written. The history is also told with the flare of genius, and I now know more about the Mojave desert than I ever expected to and it was fun to learn. I think I will wait a week and read it again, it is that good. ...more
Melina Ahl
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book took me hostage for two days!

Words cannot adequately describe just how awesome this book is. The word selection and usage is genius; the wit and humor is beyond genius; the interesting history of the East Mojave was "icing on the cake." After reading the book I was depressed because it ended, and I am planning on reading it again in a few days: it is that excellent. Do yourself a favor and buy this book.
Tom
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: survival, nature
If 3.5 were an option, that is what I would give this book. I really enjoyed the vignettes of Mojave Desert history peppered throughout the book.
Mitch
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Insanely good.

Rice has penned a book so crazy, so weird, so surreal that it automatically qualifies as a freaking masterpiece. He is a true master and a great purveyor of truth, justice and the American way.
Melina Ahl
Dec 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, desert
Words fail to express just how good this book is. It would seem that I now have internal organ damage due to laughing too hard. If you love exceptional books with an exceptional and unique voice, this is the book you have been looking for.
Douglas Brown
Kara Lauren
Donna Harris
Vitus Liske
Meta theme 1 1 Dec 07, 2018 04:51PM

• Stone Groove (Dale Conley Action Thrillers #1)
  • Buzzard's Bluff (Ben Savage, Saloon Ranger #1)
  • The Deep, Deep Snow
  • Bowdrie's Law: Stories
  • Prodigal Son (Orphan X, #6)
  • Guilty Minds (Nick Heller, #3)
  • Rage
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • The Evolution of Thor: The Appalachian Trail Journal of Thor The Red
  • Suspicion
  • The Poetry of Strangers: What I Learned Traveling America
  • House on Fire (Nick Heller #4)
  • Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism
  • The Diary of a Bookseller
  • How to End the Autism Epidemic
  • Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century
  • Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts
  • Mojave Incident: Inspired by a Chilling Story of Alien Abduction

News & Interviews

The last five years of world history have been nothing if not...eventful. When living in interesting times, there's nothing better for...