Start by marking “The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)” as Want to Read:
The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)

The October Man

(Rivers of London #7.5)

Trier is famous for wine, Romans and for being Germany’s oldest city. So when a man is found dead with his body impossibly covered in a fungal rot, the local authorities know they are out of their depth.

Fortunately this is Germany, where there are procedures for everything.

Enter Investigator Tobias Winter, whose aim is to get in, deal with the problem, and get out with the
Published June 13th 2019 by Orion Publishing Group (first published May 31st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The October Man, please sign up.
Idamus I would say, read the Peter Grant books in order, but The October Man can be read as a standalone.
Idamus It has very little to do with Peter Grant, those characters are barely hinted at, but personally, this is my favourite in the series.

Start your review of The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
carol.
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Aaronovitch
Yes, I know. I hardly believe my rating either.

Listening--as opposed to my usual reading speed--exposes the fact that the first four or so chapters are largely a re-explanation of things we already know from the seven book Peter Grant series. Unfortunately, details aren't quickly summarized, and as far as I can tell, almost everything Peter Grant has learned in the first few books is included. Details on rivers, shields, magic returning, Latin, the history of magic users, political organization
carol.
You should always realize that my ratings for Ben Aaronovitch are relative to his own works; his Peter Grant series is generally five-star in comparison to any other urban fantasy. In this novella, he leaves Grant behind to follow Tobias Winter, a special agent in the special division for magical enforcement in Germany. Winter is relaxing at his parent's house when he gets a call about "possible infraction in Trier," which is official-speak for a potentially magic-related death. He is assigned a ...more
Lois Bujold
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of contemporary fantasy
Ah, that was fun, and just the right size story for its length, a generously portioned novella.

Readers of the Rivers of London series should find lots of familiar tropes in an unfamiliar setting. I very much enjoyed getting to see some of what is going on with the resurgence of magic in other parts of the world, and of course can't help wondering if it will ever intersect with the main series. Also very curious about the Director. New readers should be able to read it as a stand-alone contempora
Bradley
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is probably my favorite novella in the Rivers of London series. Of course, we're NOT in London. This takes place in Germany! The place where all weird things have a place and a procedure attached to it. It's Germany! :)

And we have a lot of fresh faces. And fungi. And fun times with fungi. And a pretty awesome refresher on the magic system as well as some really cool police procedural legwork.

All in all, it's a slam dunk Magic Police procedural across the border, chatting up the local rivers
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!

So this little gem of a novella takes place in the same world as the Rivers of London, but in Germany instead, and features a new main character in a similar role as Peter Grant there in Germany. The mystery/police procedural with magic worked well for this novel, and we got to meet a few new characters that I'd love to see make appearances in the main series novels.

After the end of the
lucky little cat
If we had to have a fake (also younger and German) Peter Grant,
Kinda like when Serena would visit Bewitched.

Aaronovitch could at least have named him Dieter so we could remember his name easily.

Too often, new wunderkind Tobi just sounds like Peter transported mysteriously to a German life. There's too much paperwork in policing! Everything has an acronym name! Plus everything has a funny seven-syllable German name that ends in "-er" or "- en," too! (A joke that stopped being funny way too early
Faith
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, netgalley
The author has taken his urban fantasies to a new locale. This time the detective who searches for signs of magic at crime scenes is Tobias Winter and he’s in Germany. Unfortunately, he’s not as sharp or amusing as Peter Grant. The river goddess is also a pale imitation of her London counterparts. In truth, I didn’t not see the need to tell basically the same story about vestigia and river gods but just use a different country and character. I also found the plot confusing. One of the characters ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/03/11/...

With Lies Sleeping ending with the final showdown between Peter Grant and his archnemesis the Faceless Man, bringing a seven-book story arc to a close, fans are wondering where the Rivers of London series will be going from here. Rumor is that Peter will be back, but in the meantime, we get to whet our appetites with a spinoff novella called The October Man.

Providing readers with some much-needed breathing space following
Lyn
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Life is too short to drink bad wine.” – Goethe

“I drank what??” – Socrates

Let me just begin by saying that I’ve been anxiously awaiting any new story from Ben Aaronovitch since 2018 Lies Sleeping. Peter Grant is one of the coolest urban fantasy protagonists practicing these days and Aaronovitch’s world building is maybe THE best, and I’ve read Harry Dresden, Jane Yellowrock and the Iron Druid series. What really sets these apart is his wink and nod minimalism, these are snappy police procedurals
Mimi
IT'S GOT A COVER.

description

from Gollanz https://www.gollancz.co.uk/2018/11/26...

* * * * *

Ah, so this is what it's like to follow a magically competent police detective around on a case and not royally messing things up along the way. I get it now. More stories like this please and thank you in advance.
Sue
The world of magical policing is not limited to London. In The October Man, Ben Aaronovitch extends this magical universe to Germany while also providing his reading audience with further information on the international and historical scope of this world. Tobias Winter is the young officer in training who responds to an unusual death in Germany’s wine country, in Trier, an old, even ancient city, known to the Romans. And, in keeping with its setting, the victim has died due to a rot peculiar to ...more
Lindsay
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Peter Grant without Peter Grant and set in Germany instead.

It's interesting for the contrast in main character. Tobias Winter is just as dedicated to policing as Peter is and about as competent magically speaking. In many ways you could drop Peter in his spot and the story wouldn't feel any different, but where this falls down is that the London series has had seven books to build up a fascinating cast of characters and background around Peter as well as all his own mannerisms.

With this you get
Denise
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable romp with magical, mythical bad guys and river goddesses! Only this time the story takes place in Germany with new characters. Interestingly the London practitioners, Nightingale and Peter Grant, are mentioned as peers/ possible rivals across the channel. Looks like Aaronovitch is setting up an international network of practitioners for future novels. I missed Peter and Beverly but overall enjoyed the new novella and look forward to the next chapter.
Richard
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
6/10

Ah a short story, my eternal struggle with this format continues. To be fair, there wasn't much helping me out in this one though. This felt like a bit of a pointless exercise unless the whole purpose was to set things up for later books.

I avoided the audiobook (which with Kobna absent was a no brainer) and went the old fashioned way (thanks Mr. Library, very kind) but there isn't much to write home about here. The main guy doesn't differ enough from Peter to make it worthwhile, it feels li
Andrew
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second novella published from the world of Peter Grant (Rivers of London - depending on whose listing you look at). However this is set in Germany, now it is most certainly from the same world but there are only fleeting references to the main series.

Now the story itself is as usually just as engrossing and fun as ever however how you are being introduced to not only a new group of characters but a different country and most certainly a different way approaching things.

This leads t
Daniel
Rivers of London reset. I enjoyed this very much despite the names and the overly large gaps between my reading sessions making it difficult for me to model either the timeline or suspect list in my head.

The characters here are not drawn in any great depth, nor is the plot particularly fresh. It's very much the same formula as a typical Peter Grant adventure, only with different, German, characters in the roles, but I think that's fine. Variations on same are the point of this sort of series. W
Milda Page Runner
Excellent! Aaronovitch's prose and especially humour really work for me.
Obsidian
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Please note that I received this via NetGalley. This did not affect my reviews or rating.

So this was pretty cool. Instead of following Peter or Nightingale (why???) we follow another magic practitioner named Tobias Winter. Tobias is the equivalent to our Peter Grant in England, only Tobias operates in Germany. Tobias is working on a case that seems to involve wine, ghosts, and magic.

Tobias's family seemed very interesting and I wanted to know more about his dad, mother, and the family's histor
Paul E. Morph
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this Rivers of London novella. It's tightly plotted, exciting, intriguing and funny. I really, really like new protagonists Tobias and Vanessa and I can't wait to see how they end up interacting with the regular cast in future installments! How long 'til book eight, again? Too long!
Silvana
The change of setting - the German's version of The Folly - is quite refreshing. The main character however was bland and dispassionate. Also, I think there are still things (that matter) left unexplained. I am curious about the Witch of the East though, I hope she'll meet Nightingale one day.
Sylvia
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
My poor brain is still confused from switching between German and English all the time xD
But I liked Tobias and Vanessa, and I liked the setting (my father being from that area, it gave me some nice flashbacks), and I would love to read more of the White Library!
Helen
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly enjoyable.

Some random thoughts: the Germans apparently have a better intelligence department than the British, I am relieved that there are no obvious mistakes with the German, less pop culture references (but understandable since B. Aaronovitch does not live here), there seems to be a continuity error (p. 139 last sentence compared to p. 162 lower half, UK hardcover edition).
I am looking forward to a meeting between Tobias and Peter.
Jamie Stewart
AndrewP
This was the first Rivers of London book that was not narrated by the awesome Kobna Holbrook-Smith and that gave me some concern going into it. Turns out that Sam Peter Jackson works out pretty well in this case. Kobna is the 'voice of London' in my mind and this book is set in Trier, Germany so he would not be the best fit. Jackson does a decent German accent throughout and must be able to speak German as his pronunciation was spot on for the German words.

All the action is centered around the c
Mary Margaret
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this, but had to force myself to finish it. That takes some doing with a book as brief as this one.

First, as a reboot of the series in another country, it didn’t work for me. The narrator’s voice still sounded to me just like Peter Grant. It takes more than tossing in periodic foreign words to give the flavour of a country. Some writers can do this: Joanna Bourne does it brilliantly, with vocabulary, syntax, and language rhythms, but Trier could have been in Surrey for a
Barb in Maryland
Clever novella that introduces us to the German police group that deals with the uncanny. Tobias Winter is a charming young man sent to the city of Trier to deal with a very unusual death. His liaison with the local police, Vanessa Sommer, is bright, enthusiastic and quickly a fan of magic.
Tobias is not as snarky as Peter Grant--his humor is a bit more subdued, but still entertaining.

The author had a good deal of fun playing with the inter-country rivalry between the British and the German group
Stephen
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed the off spin in the rivers of London series with the book based around Trier and the wine region and different with not having peter grant as the character in the book.
George Saoulidis
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Started slow but I ended up loving it. Contains quite a bit of mythology. A nice spin-off.
Anna
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick and fun read, this novella in the Rivers of London series takes place entirely in Germany. None of the main cast appear, although they are referred to. Instead, Aaronovitch introduces the German equivalents of Peter Grant et al. The narrator, Tobias Winter, has a similar narrative voice to Grant, but sadly has less interest in tailoring. He investigates a peculiar death, meeting various supernatural beings and learning a great deal about wine in the process. The plot moves forward in muc ...more
Bart
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Actual rating: 4.00

• Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • The Vinyl Detective - Flip Back: Vinyl Detective
  • The Silver Mark (Crow Investigations, #2)
  • The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Lights Go Out in Lychford (Lychford, #4)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • Lost Acre (Rotherweird, #3)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
  • The Vinyl Detective: Low Action (Vinyl Detective 5)
  • Written in Dead Wax
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? (Shadow Police, #3)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (9 books)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection
  • Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London, #7)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)