Start by marking “Decree (The Blades of Acktar, #5)” as Want to Read:
Decree (The Blades of Acktar, #5)

Decree

(The Blades of Acktar #5)

The Adventure Continues.

Discover more of The Blades of Acktar in this collection of novellas and short stories.

The Blades as They Should’ve Been
A test and the Gathering of Nobles will decide Leith and Martyn’s futures. Can they fight to become more than the Blades they were? Will Keevan accept what it means to have the man who attempted to kill him as family?

The Fi
Published December 18th 2018 by Sword & Cross Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Decree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decree

Start your review of Decree (The Blades of Acktar, #5)
R.F. Gammon
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
SMOL LIST OF THINGS TO LOVE IN THIS SHORT STORY/NOVELLA COLLECTION

-LEEEEITH. I'm not even sorry. He's just the best. <3
-KAYLEIGH. I was on the fence about this gal in the fourth book of the series, just because she was new and it felt like she was taking away the spotlight from my actual loves. But now I really love her. She's such a great female character--strong, a warrior, willing to dress up as a man to sneak to battle and getting herself made the first female Captain of the Guar. But she al
Erika Mathews
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Decree: ten stories of varying lengths of our beloved Acktar characters. I appreciated the cohesion, even though they were at different times in Acktar’s history and followed different characters.

Meeting Martyn: Martyn was one of the characters I connected with earlier in the series, so reading his backstory and how he met Leith was adorable and heartstring-tugging. The author did an excellent job crafting his story to elicit sympathy, and the tentative meeting between him and Leith was everythi
Angie Thompson
This was an awesome collection of shorter works in the Blades of Acktar world! Some of them were little scraps of backstories, but others built on the ending of Deliver and then off of each other, and just about all of them deepened my understanding and love for these characters and my contentment with this whole series. The funny thing is, it took me a few books to fall totally in love, but now...yeah. Fangirl status achieved. ;)

Meeting Martyn - 3 stars

Didn't really learn much about Martyn here
Karis
I believe my family will rejoice when I tell them I'm finished beta reading this book. No more having to listen to my excessive fangirling, awwwing, gasping, and stopping to discuss the writing and thematic points of each story. :D But do I regret driving them nuts? Not at all.

Alyssa
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Likes:
I'll admit, I was skeptical as to if I would like this book or not. I mean, I had thought that I had already finished the series with Deliver, plus, Decree is a collections of novellas/stories. But I am pleased to say that I have never been more wrong.

Decree has ended up being one of my favorite Blades of Acktar books. It takes place apprx zero - six years after the fourth book, telling us how our fav characters have gotten along, what they're doing, and how Acktar has improved as a countr
Leah Good
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories lets fans of Acktar see how Leith and Martyn met, shows Martyn learning to love Kayleigh well, details Ranson's journey from boy to man, and much more. The story about Ranson and Michelle was probably my favorite--showing Michelle's struggle to overcome her reputation and Ranson's struggle to be understood despite interacting with the world from what seems to be the autism spectrum.

Each of Tricia's characters (at least the good guys!) are relateable and dynamic e
S.G. Willoughby
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*happy sigh* I. loved. this. book. It reminded me why I fell in love with the series in the first place and why Tricia Mingerink is one of my favorite authors. Decree touched my heart in ways I can't articulate. I don't even know how, but reading this book was so healing for me in the place I was in. I cried. I laughed. I cried some more. Fiction is one of the ways I process the world. But Decree touched me more than most books.

Note: The rest of this review contains spoilers for books 1-4.

Watchi
Faith
Rather than try to combine all my feelings for this darling book in a coherent paragraph or two, I'll briefly go over each story and novella included—a total of ten. I so enjoyed my journey back to Acktar this week! <3

(Contains spoilers for anyone who hasn't read the previous four books in The Blades of Acktar series!)

Meeting Martin — a short story — 4 stars
This was a nice little story, and an insightful look into Martyn's backstory, including his introduction to Harrison Vane and Leith. The lo
Hailey Rose
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Decree is set up a little differently than the other novels, as a collection of short stories and novellas instead of a completely tied-together plot. No complaints from this ADHD reader, I loved it!! :) The background we got for different characters I didn't even know I cared about was so awesome, especially Renna and Brandi's parents. So cute!! I loved getting to see Leith, Renna, Martyn, Kayleigh, and all the other a few years down the road. Martyn and Kayleigh are SO STINKING ADORABLE. *hear ...more
Morgan
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I found out there would be more Acktar books, I was sooooo excited. I'd missed Leith and Renna, and finding out I'd have more of them was like an early Christmas present. Now, not all the stories are about them. There are some about Martyn, some of which involve Owen and Kayleigh. There is one about Ranson, which does have Leith and Renna in it, but is primarily about Ranson. But of course, my favorites were the ones about Leith and Renna.

This is the Lost Stories of Acktar and I love it. It
R.J. Rodda
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this so much, especially the Keevan and Leith story but really, all of them. If you are a fan of the series, it is a *must-read* and is actually several riveting novellas plus short stories. My only quibble is I wanted ‘The Healer and the Clerk’ novella to be longer!!!
Julian Daventry
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, read-in-2018, 2020
*laughs hysterically*

THIS.

This book.

It is a gift.

I thought The Blades of Acktar were finished. I thought I would never hear more about Leith and Renna and the rest. But no, there's more.

At first I thought I wouldn't enjoy the "short story" format, but, honestly, I almost liked that better (in a sense). We could skip around from MC to MC, jumping years ahead and years back, without being confusing. And we got so many little glimpses of other characters, so many fangirl feels, so many little truth
C.S. Wachter
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the beginning of this series I have enjoyed each book. The characters have been well developed and continued to grow over time rather than stagnating. I feel as if I know them personally. The world of Acktar, from the prairie to the Spires Canyon, from Nalgar Castle to Stetterly, has a life of its own. There were times I could feel the blast from a snowstorm on the prairie or smell the scent of pines from the Sheered Rock Hills.

For anyone who has read and enjoyed the Blades of Acktar serie
Mikayla
I was so excited to hear that the Blades of Acktar were making a comeback with this book. Especially with such a collection of prequels, sequels, and stories in between. There were some characters that I hadn't really expected to make a comeback that did, and it was really fun to see them again. With varying length from flash fiction size to a novella, you really can't get bored reading this book. Warning, there are spoilers in this review for anyone who has not read all the previous books.

Meet
Nicole Dust
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was basically a giant ball of happiness and I AM HERE FOR IT.
Lizzy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book deserves faaaaar more than five stars for how amazing it is. I absolutely loved reading more stories about my favorite characters. There were so many happy squeaks at the fluffy parts. XD I can not wait for the next books. Although for now, I believe a re-read of the entire series is in order. XD
Claire Banschbach
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the best thing ever! I dearly love the Acktar series, so getting to hang out with all the characters again was just what my heart needed a few weeks ago!

All the Martyn and Leith stories and getting to be bro's again! And I loved loved the Ranson story! It made me super excited and hopeful to see more of him in the next few books!

And all the changes with the Blade Marshals and the message riders. Like all of the things make me so excited and happy! I'm not even sure which story was my
Bridget Marshall
DNF at about 75% through. Not any fault of the book; I only was getting tired of being in Acktar after having just read the first four books and was ready for a change of scene, and then I never got back to it before my Kindle Unlimited subscription ran out.
Michael Hewston
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vary heart warming. Would recommend to anyone looking for a sweet story.
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've finally completed my foray into Acktar. Do I regret waiting so long to start this journey? No, not really because I got to read it all in one fell swoop, rather than waiting for each new book to come out.

I'm going to review each story individually, but first, I think it deserves mention of how well Tricia wove so many short stories together and it didn't seem abrupt or clunky at all!! I've never heard of a book that has so many novellas and short stories put together and all about one seri
Allison
reread january 2020

love love love this series. <3 also now i own them all in paperback!! so when my friends ask for book recs, i can shove this entire gorgeous series in their faces & force them to read it.

reread june 2019

guys i've read this series three times in the last six months. 0_0

reread april 2019

and now i want to reread the series again. xD The Blades of Acktar is such an incredible series. i'm not a fan of fantasy, but this series is one of my favorites of all time. it deserves
Brie Donning
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sara Quinones
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A collection of ten short stories set, at various points, in the world of Acktar, Decree was an utter delight to read. One of my critiques of the series was that the worldbuilding felt thin, and this definitely offers that in spades--as well as genuinely cute moments, character development, and fun little adventures. I did notice enough little grammatical errors that made me think it could have used another editing round, but that's my only critique. For the individual stories...

Meeting Martyn-3
Sarah-Kate Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I loved this addition to the Blades of Acktar world and am so excited the author is going to continue with the series!
Ratings and short reviews of the novellas/short stories in this book are below :)

Meeting Martyn- 4 Stars- It was fun getting to see Leith and Martyn so young, though the portrayal of young Leith wasn’t exactly as I would’ve imagined.

A Blizzard for Brandi- 3.5 Stars- It was cute, but I’ve never been a huge fan of Brandi. I just feel like she acts immature for a fifteen year old
Jessica Dowell
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review:

I was SO excited when I heard that The Blades of Acktar books would be returning. This series hits all of my sweet spots: strong yet vulnerable characters, character growth, tension, witty banter, adorable romance, adventure!

In Decree we get to see our favorite characters after the war, working to rebuild Acktar and establishing a new law enforcement with "The New Blades" (you'll find out the real name in the book). We als
Tina Harper
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You know that feeling of opening a book and immediately feeling like you are reunited with good friends? That was me with Decree. Ever since reading Dare a few years ago, I have loved the characters, the world, and the theme of the Blades of Acktar.

I will admit, that although I adore the other books in this series, I wasn't sure how much I would enjoy a book of novellas and short stories. I shouldn't have worried. All the characters I loved from the previous books are back and are sharing more
Alyssa Dinkler
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
"Decree" is a collection of (mostly) unconnected short stories, and because of that, they often did not have time to develop much of a story arc. The last story in the book did not seem to have much of a point at all. However, I did enjoy reading more about the characters in Acktar. My favourites were the first story, "Meeting Martyn" and the one about Ranson, "The Healer and the Clerk".
About the book itself, my main complaint is that it did not have a table of contents, which I would have found
Naiccole Brubaker
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mcoos
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fans of the Blades of Acktar will enjoy these peeks into lives of prominent and little-mentioned characters from the earlier books. I loved getting to read some of Leith and Martyn's backstory, and then to see them continue on past the end of Deliver. Ranson and Michelle's story was a fun surprise -- especially seeing how much she had matured since the beginning of Dare. Occasionally the dialogue seemed a bit casual or modern for the setting, but otherwise my only complaint was that Jamie and Br ...more
Naomi
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book free from the author for promotional purposes. No reviews, positive or otherwise, were required. All opinions expressed are purely my own.
I highly recommend you read the previous books before starting this one. I, unfortunately, didn’t. So sometimes I couldn’t understand the full context. Also, I was expecting a full length story, but this is actually more of a collection of short stories and novellas, just FYI. The descriptions of scenery, people, etc. sometimes interrupted
The Blades of Acktar: Decree (book 5) *WARNING: SPOILERS* 6 16 Jan 11, 2019 09:01AM

• Lacy (Ilyon Chronicles, #5.5)
  • Bitter Winter (Ilyon Chronicles, #5)
  • Samara's Peril (Ilyon Chronicles, #3)
  • Exiles (Ilyon Chronicles, #4)
  • The King's Scrolls (Ilyon Chronicles, #2)
  • Resistance (Ilyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Half-Blood (Ilyon Chronicles #0.5)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • The Story Raider (The Weaver Trilogy, #2)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • Roadside Assistance (Roadside Assistance, #1)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Live Without You
  • Loving Grace
  • A Time to Rise (Out of Time, #3)
Tricia Mingerink is a twenty-something, book-loving, horse-riding country girl. She lives in Michigan with her family and their pack of pets. When she isn't writing, she can be found pursuing backwoods adventures across the country.

The Blades of Acktar (5 books)
  • Dare (The Blades of Acktar, #1)
  • Deny (The Blades of Acktar #2)
  • Defy (The Blades of Acktar #3)
  • Deliver (The Blades of Acktar, #4)