Start by marking “Great Presidential Wit (...I Wish I Was in the Book): A Collection of Humorous Anecdotes and Quotations (Lisa Drew Books (Paperback))” as Want to Read:

3.28  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Famous for his deadpan humor, New York Times bestselling author Senator Bob Dole here brings us his favorite witticisms and hilarious remarks of this country's commanders in chief. Great Presidential Wit collects the former senator's favorite funny stories and remarks by and about American presidents -- from George Washington to George W. Bush. Senator Dole tackles the ass ...more
Published June 4th 2002 by Scribner (first published January 20th 2001)

Be the first to ask a question about Great Presidential Wit (...I Wish I Was in the Book)

Bossypants by Tina FeySeriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneresIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingYes Please by Amy PoehlerHappy Accidents by Jane Lynch
Celebrity Authors
186 books — 114 voters
We Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithSomewhere Upriver by Patrick LoafmanSomething Bad by Dab10Miscellaneous Stuff & Stuff by Jim HenryPrincess Gives It Away by Dab10
Read for a laugh
254 books — 161 voters

More lists with this book...

Nathan
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Political Junkies
I highly recommend this book because the presidents of the United States have said some pretty funny things over the years. Bob compiled a list of funny and witty quips, and then organized the quotes based on who he thought was the funniest of all time, all the way down to Millard Fillmore. Whodda thunk we could laugh with these guys, and not just at them?
Marlene
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I am currently reading this book. It has many funny witticisms by former presidents. I have heard some of them, but not all. The author, Bob Dole, categorizes presidents with his opinion about who was the funniest.
David Nichols
Feb 16, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
As the title implies, this is a thin book, and the compiler, former Senator Robert Dole, could have profitably cut it to one-third of its length. With a few noteworthy exceptions - Lincoln, Reagan, and Kennedy - American presidents have been remarkably unfunny men, alternating instead between dourness and dyspepsia. Most of the "jokes" in this volume were either insults that one or another president hurled at bystanders, or genuinely funny remarks made by someone associated with a particular pre ...more
Dayla
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership
I thought the beginning of the book was very well done. I was surprised to read Dole's writing as it was far more erudite than I would have thought. However, the final portion of the book, was sort of "I'll throw these presidents in for good luck." Finally, I realize that Dole highlighted different kinds of humor and used those different types as a chapter heading. I would have much rather read the humor in a chronological manner. It gives me a perspective on the "risk" factor each took with the ...more
Sue
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksiveread
I love books of presidential anecdotes and trivia. But this one was misleading. As Bob Dole talked about presidential wit in his foreward, which presidents could come up with a good quip and so on, most of the book was "funny" things said by other people about a president. I was familiar with virtually all the quotes, so it brought nothing new to the table.
Nate
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Upon reflecting on three years of having this book in the bathroom: Bob Dole helpfully excludes the worst chapters to the back of the book, but after three years, you've read each quotation so many times that you have to dip into those lesser presidents sometimes. Bob Dole wishes he were in the book.
Jody
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fellow Republicans
Recommended to Jody by: My Dad
Bob Dole really was an old fart. The book was pretty funny but in a corny "old man" sort of way. Lots of bi-partisan humor and a nice break from the Barak and Hilary drama on television. A bathroom read with quick quips from former presidents, congressional representatives and British officials. My favorite quotes were from Ronald Reagan...of course.
Rachel
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book had some funny moments. Al Gore, Bill Clinton, and Jimmy Carter are a lot funnier when they aren't in office causing trouble. The qutoes were just as often people making cracks at the president.

The book was okay, but not dazzling (like it's subject matter?).
Melissa (ladybug)
The book was ok. I had some problems in seeing the "humor" in some of them, but I really enjoyed the ones on Lincoln, Cleveland, Coolidge, and Reagan. I thought he could have put more humorous quotes in there. Over-all a good read, but not a great one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Born on the twenty-second day of July 1923, in Russell Kansas. US military officer during WWII, Kansas House of Representatives member, lawyer, County Attorney of Russell County, United States House of Representatives, US Senator, USA Vice President Candidate in 1976 (ran with Gerald Ford as President), competed for the USA Presidential Canidate slot on the Republican ticket in 1980 (losing out to ...more
More about Bob Dole...