Start by marking “Devotion” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A captivating debut novel about a woman who falls into an overwhelming mutual obsession with the Upper East Side mother who hires her as a nanny

Ella is flat broke: wasting away on bodega coffee, barely making rent, seducing the occasional strange man who might buy her dinner. Unexpectedly, an Upper East Side couple named Lonnie and James rescue her from her empty bank acco
Expected publication: August 13th 2019 by Ecco

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Aug 13, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of 10 advance copies of DEVOTION by Madeline Stevens!

Ella is flat broke: wasting away on bodega coffee, barely making re

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 1078 people requesting

Giveaway dates: May 09 - Jun 08, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devotion

really liked it 4.00  ·

Susan Cordeiro
    Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was creepy.... and I love it! Ella is hired to to work for Lonny. She is the nanny who becomes obsessed with Lonny and her family and lifestyle. After all they are the same age, so where did Ella's life go wrong??? Yes. This is a creepy tale of obsession that will keep you reading long into the night .... it will make you think before hiring a nanny too ... lol
    Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for granting me this copy.
    Kimberly Faith
    Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Delicious with sensory details ("The house smelled of lavender and something earthy, like modeling clay."), psychological momentum, and tense character development, this book focuses on an Upper East Side nanny whose resentment toward her privileged employer morphs into an obsession.

"Don't leave me with these people," I murmured when she returned. "I'm not like them." Who wouldn't want to know the boundaries of that dialogue in scene?

This book is a gorgeous character study with bubbling, taut
    Michelle
    Strange and weird - this book focuses on Elle, a 26 year old hired to be the Nanny of a wealthy Park Avenue family in NYC. As the book unfolds you see her obsession with Lonnie (the wife/mother) and Lonnie's life begin to unravel. Does she want her? Does she want to be her?

Filled with tension, this book reads more like a character study than anything else, and ends up going nowhere. I couldn't really find myself connecting or caring much about Elle, so overall it just fell kind of flat for me.
    Tory
    Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    It's like "The Nanny Diaries" meets "Single White Female" but like...not particularly good? I don't know what the point was. Thinking back on it feels like remembering fragments of a dream from a hot summer afternoon, but not in a good way -- in a "huh, that's weird, am I really remembering it right?" way.
    K
    May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I adored this book. It is a lush, gorgeously written novel. Despite its sometimes dark themes, it is a beautiful, sexy, delicious read. The characters are well-built and interesting, it is mysterious and engaging.
    Lex Burnell
    May 25, 2019
    Jade-Louisa Pepper
    Sep 08, 2018
    Maxim
    Apr 24, 2019
    Caitlinlorrainejohnson
    This novel is beautiful, and it doesn't even need to be. The plot and characters move with enough urgency to pull a reader through on their own, and yet it is beautiful--line by line. I was surprised by how precise the images are, such as this description:

"Something about her posture became unfastened in the sun and she melted into her towel, running her fingers through the sand around her, as if she were raking the whole beach, slowly, inch by inch. She didn't seem to be listening to anyone; s
    Kerry Cullen
    May 02, 2019
    Andreas Sætre
    Apr 08, 2019
    Natalie
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
    Ella is hired by Lonnie and James as a nanny to their child, William. She is quickly sucked up into the vacuum of their existence and her fascination with Lonnie soon becomes an obsession.

The book reminded me of an old Ingmar Bergman film, where one character is swallowed by another. I didn’t love this book, in fact, I found it creepy.

I suspect it is my take on the relationship though the book is well written, but simply not one that I could get involved with.
    Bee.
    Amy
    Feb 21, 2019
    Tanis Eve
    Feb 23, 2019
    Madeline Stevens is a writer from Boring, Oregon currently based in Los Angeles. Her first novel Devotion is forthcoming in the US and Canada from Ecco Press August 13, 2019. Devotion will also be published by Faber & Faber in the UK and translated into five languages. Madeline holds an MFA from Columbia University and her work has been published in a variety of literary magazines. She teaches ...more