Start by marking “Small-Town Heart” as Want to Read:
Small-Town Heart

Small-Town Heart

Without a plan in place and only a hundred dollars to my name, this big city girl born in a small town world headed for the bright lights of city life.

Four years later, I may have more money in my bank account, but somehow I’ve found myself back in another small town trying to build a life. Even though the residents of Fayhill have welcomed me like one of their own, this
Published November 16th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Small-Town Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small-Town Heart

Nikki ღ Navareus

***THREE STARS***
This was just an okay story for me. A sweet little romance, with very little drama and zero angst. Mercy was a bit of a ditherhead, who couldn't decide what she wanted in life. She hates her name because she was the only one named Mercy in her tiny town she grew up in and people said her name when they were talking to her. Okaaaaayyy.....

She bemoans how sad she is that she's never found close friends in her life, then once she finds an awesome best friend who moves her into her
S.L. Scott
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Small-Town Heart has Big Time Feels. I love the characters and this town. Everyone’s noses are in everyone else’s business but it’s all heartfelt. The hero is swoony and what I love most about a great lead—steady and strong. The heroine is awesome—quirky, confident, and compassionate.

This story had me giggling, swooning, and my heart aching in all the right ways as these characters not only discover what love really is, but they’re willing to sacrifice for it. FIVE Big-Hearted Stars for Shane,
Brooke Gunderman-Harris
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: november-tbr
Andrea Johnston is one of my absolute favorite authors, and she never disappoints! I absolutely loved Mercy and Shane's story! I know this was previously a kindle world book but I had never read it but when I read the synopsis I was completely suckled in. And even more so once I started reading. I couldn't help but devour every word of this small town love story!

Mercy and Shane were absolutely precious together even when it became tough to let each other go. But letting each other go for their d
Kel Wood *Kel & Mel Tell Book Blog*
I think I’m in love. No wait, I know I am. I’m in love with this book, the story, the characters, and just maybe the author!
Small Town Heart, which is so aptly titled, takes you on a hilarious ride of self discovery and what it means to follow your heart. The book is so well written I felt like I was living my best life right alongside the characters. I wanted to be them. I wanted to be there. I wanted the sunsets and horse rides and pies and margaritas too. The side characters where on point an
Joy Novel Thoughts
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I basically devoured Small-Town Heart by Andrea Johnston. It's an expanded version of her novella, Mercy, that was originally published as part of a Kindle World. I hadn't read it as Mercy, so the entire story was new to me.

I adored Mercy and Shane! They were cute together and I loved how even though it was tough they let each other go after their dreams and what they desired. I loved the small town of Fayhill and everyone in it!

Well except for Shane's crazy ex-girlfriend who decided she needed
Tina
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice happy read. I love books about small towns. Maybe it's because that's a wild dream of mine. Someday.
This is a 1st time author for me. I enjoyed her writing. This was an easy read. A nice change. This book had all the happy, heart touching, lonely, and funny all mixed up in one. A sweet love story with a HEA.
Definitely looking forward to more from this author.
White Hot Reads
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The perfect balance of sweet and sassy. I’m hoping The author continues this world for more Vera, Fayhill and Cowboys!
Marisol Scott
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Is this a spin off of The Country Road Series I smell? I hope so! Small Town Heart follows waitress Mercy on her journey to "big city" Austin when her vehicle unexpectedly breaks down in a small town on the way.
Determined to get back on track, Mercy takes a waitressing job in a diner until her car is repaired and makes friends along the way. Enter Sam, Vera, and the very sexy cowboy Shane.
Sometimes, you're so busy trying to make it somewhere to be someone, you don't realize you're exactly who y
Miranda Knight
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to begin with how much I love every Andrea Johnston novel. I haven't read a mediocre novel from her. I love everyone of them. I will admit this is not one of my favorites (Tequila and Tailgates will always be the top--Ashton is wickedly hilarious. If you haven't read it--Do it!). I love how she intertwines the characters from her previous series with this one. Although, if you haven't read the series, you can still fully understand these characters since they were minor characters in the ...more
Mary Kazen *Rabid Readers Book Blog*
My hopeless romantic heart! This book had my heart warming so fast and the warmth is long lasting. This is the story of Mercy, who changed her name socially to Beth. She is a small town girl wanting the big town life. She is on the road to Austin to have that life she thinks she wants. Then her car breaks down in the small town Fayhill and she is stuck there for a few weeks while it is being fixed. She gets a waitress job while she waits. She plans just to make some money and then off to her dre ...more
Debbie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had it all! Small town romance - check. Quirky but adorable female - check. Hot sexy cowboy - check. Crazy ex - check. Slow burn - check. Fun supporting characters - multiple checks!

Mercy has her heart set on moving to Austin. Fate steps in changes her plans for the moment. She lands in Vera's diner and you will be SO glad she did. Vera is funny and wise and just what Mercy needs. Vera's cook, Sam and the town mechanic, Earl also add some charm and humor to the story.

Mercy also isn't l
Danielle R (Spellbound Stories)
Small-Town Heart by Andrea Johnston is a sweet, easy to read small town romance that is light in angst. I loved it. I did… it made my heart smile and was the perfect book to read following several dark romances. Previously published as Mercy, Small-Town Heart has now been expanded—unfortunately, I didn’t read the first release of the book, so I can’t comment on the differences between the two. However, the more I read Andrea Johnston’s work, the more I see a writing style that I love! Her books ...more
Kayla Busch
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've never lived in a small-town before, but after reading Small-Town Heart, I can tell you that I want to. From the very first page, I was drawn in and invested in Shane and Mercy's story. My heart melted over their first meeting. I swooned hard over their first kiss, and I loved how they fought to make their long-distance relationship work. They weren't perfect and they definitely had their ups and downs but their one constant was how much they loved one another. However, the thing about small ...more
Lauren Barrows
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with Mercy, Shane & Vera and the rest of this small town! Andrea Johnston has done it again. From the small town vibe to the longing of the big city lights, to the longing of Shane's arms around her, Mercy has a big decision to make. Choosing a life that she has been running from to chase (what she thinks) is her dreams or choosing love is what Mercy's dilemma is.
The story builds as a slow burn but is really funny in places that the reader might not expect. It helps to endea
Kristina Bowen
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read the original Mercy, imagine my excitement when it was being turned into a longer story with more characters? Words can’t express how much I loved this book. I didn’t get the feeling of a re-read, it was a brand new book. Mercy is so much like me, from a small town looking forward to a big city, but a cowboy comes along the way and turns life upside down. Love is never planned but it does change plans, and for Mercy I think she still did what she set out to do and that’ ...more
Cassidy
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mercy is a young woman out to find herself. She breaks down at the small town of Fayhill on her way to her next destination. She is devastated to hear that her car won’t be a quick fix. Little did she know that her short visit may be life changing.

Mercy finds herself with a job at the local dinner. Her boss, Vera, is quick to adopt her. One day at the dinner she meets Shane. Shane is a dreamy, perfect southern gentleman. Mercy could see herself easily falling for him, but her dream is city life
Kathy Schofield
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet coming of age small town romance. It's a new standalone book from one of my favourite writers, Andrea Johnston.
Set in a small town in Texas, we meet Mercy - a name she has tried to distance herself from, but suits her to a tee.
Of course there is a hot cowboy, cause this is Texas and a little town... I want me a cowboy now!!
The supporting characters - Vera, Sam, even Connie-Lynn all provide extra intrigue in the book.
Everyone needs a Vera in their life, she's a beautiful and lo
Megan | A Page to Turn
Smart, compassionate, and big city bound... Mercy Warner is the ideal heroine in this new adult, small town romance. She has a plan, and when things go sideways she finds herself on a new path. With fabulously written secondary characters like diner owner and margarita lover, Vera, and a sweet pupper named Underpants, this book will keep you entertained until the very last chapter.

This book is a quick rainy day read - you can sit down and finish it in a matter of hours. It's such a sweet slow-b
Kathryn Linke
4.5 Stars

Small-Town Heart has the signature, heat, heart and humor that I've come to expect from Andrea's writing. The characters are endearing and their story is sweet, swoony and heartfelt.

Mercy is a captivating heroine, quirky, confident, compassionate and fun she's determined to find her place in the world, whether it be in the big city or a small town. The hero Shane is a sexy cowboy, who epitomises a gentleman he's sweet, kind and romantic.

I quite enjoyed the characters, and hope that t
LLS
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book! Mercy is trying to escape the town that she was from when her car broke down. Sidelined until her vehicle could be repaired, she develops feelings for Shane and the residents of a small town just like the one she is trying to escape. Love the supporting cast of characters that are always present in this author's stories! Will she stay, or will she be drawn to the big city that she has always dreamed about?

Thank you for the privilege of reading this book! Well done! ❤
Amazeballs Book Addicts
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Small-Town Heart is a good read. It's a sweet romance read. I loved Mercy. She's sweet down to earth girl. She makes a temporary stop is small town Fayhill when her car, Gerty, breaks down. I absolutely loved that she named her car. The people of Fayhill are welcoming and friendly. It made me want to pack up and find my own the small town like Fayhill. She meets Shane. Shane is sweet and nice and absolutely swoon worthy. These two are great together. Mercy may have planned just for a temporary s ...more
Dawn
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the author for an honest review. And HONESTLY I absolutely loved this book. I never got the chance to read the Mercy Novella and I'm glad because I read this story with fresh eyes. Mercy and Shane's story makes my toes curl. I enjoyed this book from the very first sentence. I was sad when I reached the end because I wanted more (hint hint Andrea ;) ). I would highly recommend this awesome book. I love Andrea`s sassy writing style. I give this book two very big thumbs up an ...more
ToniAnn Papa
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is such an adorable, small town romance. Mercy and Shane will make you fall in love with them. I promise you will love the supporting characters as well!

Mercy is looking to start her life over. She never plans to fall in love. Shane isn't looking for love either, but he isn't turning down the chance to be with Mercy. Life, jobs, moving, exes, get in the way for them. But, they both prove that it is worth it.
Brittany Johnson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Andrea's small town romances, they are always so spot on! Loved Mercy and her need to follow her dreams and figure her stuff out before committing to anything else and Shane for helping her along the way and being such a wonderful support for her. I want to be Vera when I grow up. She is awesome, hilarious and such a caring and wonderful sweet friend to Mercy when she rolls into town. I can't wait to see what else Andrea has in store for these characters 💕
Samantha
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Small Town Hearts was an expanded version of her novella, Mercy, I wasn't able to be read it since it was on the kindle world, so this story was completely new to me. I started reading Andrea's work with The break series and there hasn't been a book of hers I didn't like yet.
Small town hearts had be laughing out load, Mercy and Shane were just adorable. I couldn't put down this novel, and i really can't wait for more of this authors work.
Book Nerd Kate
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Swoon! This small town romance had everything I could ask for in a romance novel. Hot Cowboys, Small Town, A girl with dreams, and some slow burn romance? What more could I want? This appears to be a spin-off of Johnston's Country Road series and there a few mentions of the town and characters from it. I loved everything about Shane and Mercy's (Beth) story. Andrea Johnston never disappoints.
Jaime Reynolds
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the characters and small town feel of this story. Mercy, Shane and the other characters were so personable and drew me into their story of hope and love that I felt as if I was right there with them. The story was great and kept me going right until the end with the feeling of acceptance and belonging.
Lora Edwards
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read the original novella and loved it. Andrea is so talented. She turned a quick fun novella into a great Novel. I can't wait to read what comes next from this author. If you are looking for a fun slow burn love story pick this one up.
Heather
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Such a great story! I didn't read it as Mercy, but I'm so thankful I read it now. The relationship between Mercy and Shane was perfect! I loved that he didn't push her to do things just because that's what he wanted. It was also great seeing how their relationship lasted through tornado Connie. Vera stole my heart from the beginning with her big heart and love to share.
LisaReadsAlot
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take me to Fayhill, Texas and lose me forever! I absolutely adored this book. I love, LOVE small town romance reads and ‘Small-Town Heart’ is exactly why I love them. Andrea Johnston swooned me with her words and had me falling head over heels in book love with a hot dimpled cowboy named, Shane Abbott. This was actually my first read by this wonderful author and it definitely won’t be my last!

4.5 Underpants stars!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Andrea Johnston spent her childhood with her nose in a book and a pen to paper. An avid people watcher, her mind is full of stories that yearn to be told. A fan of angsty romance with a happy ending, super sexy erotica and a good mystery, Andrea can always be found with her Kindle nearby fully charged.

Andrea lives in Idaho with her family and two dogs. When she isn’t spending time with her partner