Start by marking “On My Own: How to Format Your Ebook and Print Layout in Microsoft Word” as Want to Read:
On My Own: How to Format Your Ebook and Print Layout in Microsoft Word

On My Own: How to Format Your Ebook and Print Layout in Microsoft Word

Format Your Book—On Your Own

An indie author can spend thousands of dollars trying to get his book published by contracting freelancers and professionals to prepare his manuscript for publication. With edits, cover designs, proofreaders, marketers, interior formatters, the list of expenses is extensive.

This Step-by-Step guide will walk you through preparing an eBook and Pri
Published November 7th 2018 by Dragonpen Press

To ask other readers questions about On My Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On My Own

Start your review of On My Own: How to Format Your Ebook and Print Layout in Microsoft Word
Angie Thompson
I really appreciated the explicit step-by-step formatting directions in this book. While I knew a lot of it already, I did find a few new tips to use in the future. :)

The only thing that I would have liked a bit more of was an explanation of "why" for certain things. (Not the unanswerable "why does Word make you do it like this?" but more of the "why is it good practice to do this?") Sometimes there were explanations given, but other times it was hard to tell whether something (say a font size o
Tammy Lash
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok....I THINK I may be able to do this!!

Savannah Jezowski's, On My Own is an amazing step-by-step guide on formatting. Best part?? It has pictures. PICTURES, folks! This comes in a close second to the YouTube videos I squint over on my phone. This feature alone has me nearly convinced that I may be able to someday format my own paperback and e-book.

I can't wait until my very own paperback version of On My Own comes to my home to live on my "author-help-shelf" in my office. I'll have it JUST in
Eva-Joy
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
This was such a useful book! I know that if/when I self-publish, I'll be referring back to it often. Savannah lays out the steps necessary to design an ebook and a print book and she does it in such a clear, charming way! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I know it will be a HUGE help to indie authors, wherever they are in their writing/publishing journey.

My only complaint is that the screenshots were a little too small to make out pertinent details - hopefully, the polished version wi
Katy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This author did an amazing job of breaking down what is (to me and I suspect many others) a confusing process step-by-step, all the while encouraging the newbie that it IS possible to learn! I felt like I just sat down with Jezowski in her living room while she personally taught me how to format both ebooks and paperbacks! I know I will refer back to this every time I need to format a book, and am eternally grateful she chose to share this information.
Erika Mathews
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though I’ve discovered many of the tips in this book through trial and error, this is such a valuable resource! I will definitely be referring to this book again the next time I format a book. It’s excellent to have all the steps for formatting laid out in order as this book provides - as well as the reasoning behind the order. I also am so grateful for several huge time-saving tips this book provided that should solve the header issues that seem to be a constant headache.

This book is writ
Kathryn McConaughy
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a handy little book. I especially like the fact that it gives directions for both ebooks and paperbacks... if it had been out six months ago it would have saved me a lot of hassle!
Jezowski gives very concise, clear directions (with lots of pictures) that are easy to follow. If you're at least somewhat familiar with Word's features, that will speed things up, but it's not strictly necessary. Jezowski gives you all the information you need.
If you're doing your own formatting I definitely r
Laura Grace
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource!

Was able to format my ebook and paperback, which was the ultimate goal. I thought it was written well and found the author's voice to be personal and relatable.

Definitely recommend to those who are wanting to have their book professionally formatted, but are unable to pay and are willing to learn how to do it on their own. (I know I'll be using this book again for formatting!)
C.O. Bonham
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The indie author's best friend

This how to guide is everything you wanted to know about manuscript formatting. All of your layout settings are presented in an easy to read and understand step by step format. The best part is that Jezowski does this all in word. No having to pay for or learn obscure professional formatting programs.

I highly recommend this book as a great starting point to anyone interested in learning formatting.
Diely
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super Simple

This book was exactly what I needed. To the point, simply explained and not too long. I really recommend it.
Naomi P.
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An extremely helpful guide that I used to format my first book!
Selina
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, arcs, writing
I absolutely love this book, and it came at just the right time for me! For the first time I feel like I can do this on my own (no pun intended) without having to hire someone to format. There are so many costs with getting a book published independently, and it's nice to be able to check this off my list. The step by step instructions are very clear and easy to follow, Savannah has an easy to read and conversational voice, and I can't wait to put it into use. Disclosure: I received this ARC in ...more
Shann
Oct 20, 2020
Savannah Jezowski
Oct 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Camilla Cruz
Peter  A Benson
Oct 12, 2020
Ellen Stearley
Jan 10, 2021

• Suppressed (Sins of Our Ancestors #2)
  • Marked (Sins of Our Ancestors #1)
  • The Grinny Granny Donkey
  • The Masterpiece
  • The Heartwood Crown (The Sunlit Lands #2)
  • An Incurable Case of Love, Vol. 1
  • The Memory Thief
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 3 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 3] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #3)
  • My Father is a Unicorn
  • Hush, Little Baby (The Daddy School #6)
  • Stealing Adda
  • Strange Waters
  • Belly Rubbins For Bubbins: The Story of a Rescue Dog
  • The Crescent Stone (The Sunlit Lands #1)
  • Harper
  • Pumpkin Spice Pie-Jinks: Pumpkins & Shades
  • ハイキュー!! 3 [Haikyū!! 3]
  • Sand and Storm
Savannah lives in a drafty farmhouse in Amish country with her Knight in Shining Armor, who is no less shiny after eight years of matrimony, and a loyal brigade of kitties, who may or may not sleep on the job. Her work has been published in Ray Gun Revival, Mindflights and in the student publication of Fountains at PCC. She is also an author in the Five Enchanted Roses collection. She likes books, ...more

News & Interviews