Start by marking “Captivating the Earl (Lords and Ladies in Love #5)” as Want to Read:
Captivating the Earl (Lords and Ladies in Love #5)

Captivating the Earl

(Lords and Ladies in Love #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  205 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Lady Elizabeth is hiding in the country as governess, Miss Lizzie Moore. When handsome Lord Hawkins arrives at her employer’s house, she wants nothing to do with the roguish earl, even though her heart says otherwise.

Lord Hawkins is a rake of the highest order but when he is drawn to his cousin’s beautiful governess he must rein in his impulses. She can’t be his, though
Published November 12th 2018 by Entangled Publishing LLC (Scandalous)

To ask other readers questions about Captivating the Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captivating the Earl

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Captivating the Earl (Lords and Ladies in Love #5)
eyes.2c
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hiding in plain sight!

The daughter of a traitor has reinvented herself as a governess. Having fled from her place in high society to the country, away from from prying, critical eyes Lady Elixabeth thought she was safe. When her employer's friend the arresting Lord Hawkins comes to visit, Lady Elizabeth finds not only her secrets exposed but her heart.
When Hawk realizes who Elizabeth is, he has orders from the Home Office to bring her in. He searches for a way to keep her safe. His answer is not
Brenda
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Publisher's Description:

Lady Elizabeth is hiding in plain sight...and very plain dresses. To escape her traitorous father's reputation, she's left behind the glittering balls of London Society to act as a governess. For the first time in her life, she’s independent and taking care of herself. All is fine...until the irresistible Lord Hawkins arrives at her employer's house.

Niki
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lord Richard Hawkins, "Hawk" to his friends, bored with his rakish entertainments and a bit disgusted with his own behavior, leaves London for a visit with his cousin, the Earl of Wycliff, and his family in the country. There he encounters Lizzie, governess to Wycliff's four children. Lizzie is hiding out in the country hoping not to be recognized for the former debutante that she is, or associated with her on-the-run father. As Lizzie and Hawk spend more time together he begins to suspect that ...more
Lori D
To say I was captivated by this story puts it lightly!! Hiding away as a governess for two years, Lizzi has felt safe from the authorities looking for her. Unfortunately, Hawk, Lord Hawkins shows up to spend time with his friends, her employers. What now!! An Earl with good looks and roguish ways, is not good for her libido, and keeping up her charade! But what's a girl to do once he gets a missive to bring her in and realizes who she is? Is she a criminal hiding or an innocent lady whose father ...more
Laura J.
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Lord Hawkins is dissatisfied with his indulgent lifestyle. He’s been drinking and bedding women because he feels guilty about his role in his sister’s death. He is also occasionally an agent of the Home Office. Lizzie is a governess who works for Hawk’s cousin and is actually Lady Elizabeth who is in hiding. Lizzie’s father was a traitor who was captured and killed by Home Office agentis two years ago; Hawk was involved in the operation. What a coincidence when Hawk decides to visit his cousin, ...more
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Captivating the Earl by Callie Hutton is book 5 in the Lords and Ladies in Love Series. This is the story of Richard, the Earl of Hawkins and Elizabeth aka Lizzie Moore.
Lizzie's father was accused of treason so she escape to the countryside to start a new life as a governess. Which has worked for her for awhile until Hawk comes to visits and he knows there is something going on with her. In addition someone is attempting to kill her. Hawk goes forward to protect her the best way he can.
Enjoyed
Suzannah
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating the Earl is book five in the Lords & Ladies in Love series by Callie Hutton. This was a wonderful romantic romp with lots of action and adventure. I couldn’t put the book down. Miss Lizzie Moore is a governess that Richard, The Earl of Hawkins finds himself captivated by. Little does he know that Miss Moore has a secret that will plunge him into a deadly game of life and death. Fantastic story! I hope Hutton has more in this series.
Pelusa Rivera
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author..(netgalley) Lizzie is working as a governess after she flees from London where her father was known for treason. Hawk comes to visit his friends and he knows there is something to this governess he feels like he knows her, which come to find out he does. When her life is in danger, Hawk comes up with the idea that if they get married she will be safe, but that is not the solution now we need to find out who is after her? Enjoy!
Gwessie Tee
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly fantastic book had me captivated from the e begining cant wait to read more, the hero and heroine both magnificent and the story truly outstanding abd most definitely you cant tell who the villan is before the book teveals it, truly awesome.

As always our author does not disappoint and I cant wait to read the next.
Lori Quick
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable story. Lots of twists and turn. Callie Hutton has been a favorite of mine since I started reading her stories. I don't think there was any part of this one I didn't like. Definitely recommend.
Queen Of  Bookland
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
I really loved this book. Lizzy was really strong and always made sure she wasn't being ordered or wasn't the typical girl to hide behind someone even in 1818.
And I really liked Hawk too.
I hoped to find a more thrilling mystery though.
All in all it was a good romance with a bit of thrill ♥️
Elaine
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant storyline with plots, intrigue and spies. Loved Hawk and Elizabeth. A wonderful read that was most enjoyable.
Is there a #6 coming, I hope so.
Katrina Berry
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ms. Hutton, you had me at page 1! Regency, romance, twists and turns...OMG what’s not to love! Keep doing that voodoo that you do Ms. Hutton...loving it!

Please note that an ARC was generously provided in exchange for an honest review of which this is both honest and completely voluntary.
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
For two years Lady Elizabeth Monroe has successfully embarked on a new life as a governess. Knowing her father was guilty of treason and she could likely end up in Newgate for it as well, her only recourse was to stay hidden.

Lord Hawkins comes to stay with a close friend's family and cannot keep his eyes off their lovely but secretive governess. After getting closer, Hawk discovers who the woman he is falling for really is. After an attempt on her life, Hawk will do whatever is necessary to prot
Janet
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
Lady Elizabeth Munro is hiding in plain sight...and very plain dresses. To escape her traitorous father's reputation, she's left behind the glittering balls of London Society to act as a governess. Lord Hawkins is a rake of the highest order, but something about the beautiful governess working for his cousin makes him want to act like a gentleman. After an attempt on her life, Hawk discovers who Elizabeth really is. Now under orders from the Home Office to bring her in, Hawk vows instea
A Klue
You pretty much get exactly what is outlined in this book’s synopsis, my English Regency book loving friends. So if that brief summary and genre itself are your cup of tea, then you’ll likely enjoy this very steamy at times, new release by Callie Hutton.

There is plenty of “my lord”, “my lady”, and other prim and proper English manners as these two longingly but warily start to dance around each other. That is until about the halfway point where it takes a decidedly graphic steamy turn. At least
Sieravonne
It's a shame because I was captivated and on the verge of giving it 4-stars until Chapter 31. I find it lacking, I feel that the author could still write some more and explain the motive of the real culprit. In addition, there were some logic that I find so daft. For example:

- Chapter 4: Lizzie wanted no part of London Society even if that meant she would never have a husband, children, and a home of her own, then so be it.

She could still get married and have children without going back to Lond
Lindsey Gray
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This is the fifth book in the series and the third I’ve read so far. If you haven’t read the third book in the series, Denying the Duke, I suggest you do so before jumping into this one. The villain from book three left behind a daughter, Lady Elizabeth Munro. After his deeds were exposed, Lizzie fled with the help of a friend and became a governess under the alias of Lizzie Moore.

When her employers cousin, the dashing Lord Hawkins, visits, Lizzie is terrified he might recognize her fro
Ira
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
There were a couple of books by Callie Hutton that I really loved and read several times and then there were some that I didn't like so I thought long and hard whether I wanted to read this book or not. It sounded very tempting but I was worried that I wouldn't like it. Well, I needn't have worried at all. I read this book in one sitting and really enjoyed the story.

When Hawk meets his friends' governess, he slowly but irresistibly falls in love with her while starting to question everything he
Scarlett Ian
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lady Elizabeth is hiding out from her father’s shameful actions, working as a governess. When Lord Hawkins stops by for a brief vacation/visit, she immediately recognizes him for the rake that he was when she was part of society. She tries her hardest to avoid him but can only resist for so long. Once Hawk discovers her true identity and realizes someone is out to kill her, he makes it his top priority to protect her. Trying to uncover who really assisted her father with his treason - in an effo ...more
Caiti (The Romance Mom)

I enjoyed this book. I’m a mood reader and sometimes I’m in the mood for some classically melodramatic romance fun and this one checked off all of those boxes for me. Sometimes a little ‘somewhat over-the-top’ romance reading is just what the doctor ordered and Captivating the Earl will give that to you.

I would have liked to see a bit more going on in terms of dialogue and character interactions.
Peggy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Hawk and Lizzie meet at Lord Wycliffe’s estate. She is governess to Wycliffe’s children. He is Wycliffe’s cousin. From the moment they met, they are drawn to each other. After several attempts on her life, Lizzie (who Hawk now knows is Lady Elizabeth Munroe, daughter of an infamous traitor) and Hawk set out for London where they hope to discover who wants Lizzie dead and to prove her innocence in her father’s treachery.

Captivating the Earl has action and danger, secrets, and suspense. I like th
Debra Martin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lady Elizabeth is forced to flee London when her traitorous father flees England. With the help of a good friend, she secures a position as governess. For 2 years she's been safe, but all that changes when Lord Hawkins, Hawk, shows up at his cousin's estate for a visit. Something about Lizzie triggers the thought that Hawk knows her from somewhere. Before he has a chance to puzzle it out, Lizzie is thrown from her horse. Hawk soon learns it was no accident. Receiving a missive from the Home Offi ...more
Kat Wiley
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nothing like an amazing mystery to keep the pages of a book turning. Captivating the Earl by Callie Hutton is book 5 in the Lords & Ladies In Love series. I read this book over night as I could not put it down. I had to know what was going to happen next in this regency mystery romance and every time something happened I was surprised. Also this is a love at first sight story and who doesn’t love that particular genre. Callie writes such wonderful characters especially Elizabeth and Hawk (short ...more
Linda
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
When Elizabeth’s father confesses of his treasonous activities and is caught, Lady Elizabeth is aghast & flees London when she finds herself under suspicion of colluding with her father. With the help of a friend she goes incognito & is hired i as a governess to her young children of the Earl of Wycliff’s children.
After 2 years of successfully being invisible, one of her majesty’s agents who so happens to be looking for her pays a visit to the Earl. Each find themselves drawn, Lizzie knows who
Tween 2 Teen Book Reviews
All things considered, this book wasn't great. The characters were interesting and the plot held promise, but all that was ruined by the poor writing quality. Characters descriptions and interactions were full of cliches. Words and phrases just didn't go well together. There was also a lot of telling in the book. Instead of showing characters pursuing certain actions, we the reader are told that they did something. While that works for something like 'they rode in a carriage for two days', it do ...more
Jill
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written, entertaining and intriguing story. Hawk, a known rake, meets Lizzie, governess to his cousin’s children and he is instantly intrigued by her. Even though she is a governess, Hawk believes there is more to her than that as she is too well educated to be a vicar’s daughter as she claims. He later finds out that she is the daughter of an earl who had been charged with treason. As they grow closer, attempts are made on her life and he determines the only way to keep her ...more
Mary Hart
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it

The romance between Lizzie and Hawk built quite quickly. He realised fairly early on that Lizzie wasn't the woman she portrayed. The tension increased with the various attempts on her life. About 90% of the book was about the budding romance and Hawk's realisation that this woman was a keeper. I looked down at my knidle and thought how in the small space left are they going to resolve the mystery...so the final denouement I thought was a bit rushed. This is the only story in the series
Petula
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Richard, the Earl of Hawkins, known to friends as Hawk has grown overwhelmingly border with life amongst to "ton". It's time to visit his cousin and best friend in the countryside. He blames himself for the death of his sister and has been restless ever since.
Miss Lizzy Moore escaped London and has been working as a governess for the last two years.  She is happy to care for someone else's children since she is unlikely to have her own. Nobody can ever find out who she is or who her father was.
RachelReadsandSings
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
If you enjoy period romances, I think you’ll enjoy this one. I really liked the overall atmosphere as well as the characters.

The plot was interesting and the novel was very well paced in my opinion. I would almost categorize this as a romantic adventure story, given how much action there is that balances out the love scenes. There are really only 2 important love scenes in this book, so I think there should have been at least one more to kind of round out the book a little more.

I also think tha
« previous 1 3 next »

• Waltz Of The Wallflower (Delicate Hearts, #1)
  • Kiss of a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #2)
  • The Duke of Desire (The 1797 Club, #9)
  • The Earl and the Reluctant Lady
  • More Than a Rogue (The Crawfords, #2)
  • Too Wicked to Kiss (Gothic Love Stories #1)
  • The Marquis She's Been Waiting For (The Marriage Game, #9)
  • The Viscount and the Vixen (The Somerton Scandals #1)
  • One Night for Seduction (Wicked Dukes Club #1)
  • Dealing with the Viscount (Improper Wives for Proper Lords series Book 1)
  • Duke of Havoc (Dukes of Destiny #1)
  • The Rake Who Rescued Me
  • Wish Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #3)
  • A Duke She Can't Refuse (The Impossible Balfours Book 1)
  • Suddenly a St. Clair (The St. Clairs #5)
  • A Duke Under Her Spell
  • To Dare a Duke (Girls Who Dare, #1)
  • No Ordinary Duke (The Crawfords, #1)

http://calliehutton.com/newsletter/ (be up to date on new releases and sales)

USA Today bestselling author, Callie Hutton, has penned more than 45 historical romance books, as well as cozy mysteries. She lives in Oklahoma with her very close and lively family, which includes her five year old twin grandsons “The Twinadoes.”

Callie loves to hear from readers. Contact her directly at calliehutton11@

Lords and Ladies in Love (5 books)
  • Seducing the Marquess
  • Marrying the Wrong Earl
  • Denying the Duke (Lords and Ladies in Love #3)
  • Wagering for Miss Blake