Start by marking “Door” as Want to Read:
Door

Door

What's on the other side of the door? There's only one way to find out: You'll have to go through it.

JiHyeon Lee's debut book, Pool, was lauded as a wordless masterpiece. Here she takes readers on another journey into an unexpected world. Delicate drawings transform from grays to vivid color as a curious child goes through a mysterious door and discovers that open-mindedne
Published October 2nd 2018 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Door

David Schaafsma
Two years ago I read Lee's Pool, a wordless book about a child discovering a fantastical world in a pool with another child. They dive down, and voila, magic! Two years later I read Door--a thing that you enter, in a sense, like a pool--and it describes a similar voyage of discovery and imagination through which a child becomes transformed. Again, it's beautifully produced, in a large book format, with plenty of white space on the (initial) pages, and delicately drawn. A small flying creature dr ...more
Hilary
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy wordless picture books and inventive stories
Recommended to Hilary by: Abigail
A boy finds a key and notices a brightly coloured insect. Following the insect leads him to a door covered in cobwebs. His key fits and the boy enters into a garden with strange creatures. There is so much to look at in this book, the soft pencil drawings are beautiful and there are many interesting and inventive elements to the story. We loved the doors in air that lead to different places. A lovely book for a child to look through themselves before bed.
Lata
Beautiful, quiet story of a boy who finds a key, opens a door, and enters an amazing world of friendly beings, and spends an enjoyable day making new acquaintances and even attending a wedding!
Danielle
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I was so excited to see this follow up to JiHyeon Lee's first picture book with another wordless offering that explores discovery and imagination and community. In POOL, a child meets another child who shares in a mysterious, imaginative experience. Here, a child connects with a whole group and is immediately accepted into a beautiful, strange, delightful party, rewarded for their curiosity.
Annie ⚜️
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I thought I would love this one, I mean look at that cover. Little boy finding a key 🔑 to a secret door 🚪, what could be better? The color and spirit were charming but, alas, I wasn't a fan of the creepy looking creatures. There are no words so you make up your own story. There's a wedding, a party, he bumps into a guy who shows up later. In that sense, it was a good way to get the child's imagination going for sure. It was okay.
KC
A beautifully illustrated wordless story about a boy who finds a key that unlocks a door to a truly imaginable place.
Abduraafi Andrian
There is this children's book analysis assignment that requires student to review one of million children's picture books or short stories. I googled the book I want to analyze. My objectives of the book are new and rarely read. I found this book as one of the Notable Children's Book 2018 by The New York Times, bought it on Play Books, and read it.

Colorful. Cheerful. Meaningful. Three words that represent the book. Like any other picture books, this book is thin and spends color printing inks. N
Abigail
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Wordless Picture-Books
Korean illustrator JiHyeon Lee, who made her picture-book debut with the wordless Pool , returns to the form in this second title, also wordless. A young boy, noticing an odd and colorful insect, follows its flight and is led to a door, which he proceeds to open. On the other side he finds himself in a magical world, one populated with odd and fantastical creatures, whose speech he cannot understand. After his initial alarm at the strangeness of everything, the boy overcomes his fear, is befrie ...more
Kimberly
Lovely and whimsical.
Katherine
Occasionally my daughter, who works at a library, brings home books for me to enjoy—this one was the latest. A unique, imaginative, colorful picture book without words. A young boy unlocks a long unused door and finds a fantastical world of people-creatures, all who "speak" different languages but connect and communicate nonetheless. I'd like to rate this higher however I found the creatures kind of creepy and bizarre despite their happy smiles and friendly frolicking. Some children will really ...more
Barbara
Having been fascinated by this author/illustrator's earlier picture book, Pool, I was delighted to read this one as well. I knew that it would be just as magical and just as open to interpretation as the previous book, and I was not disappointed. A colorful flying creature drops a key near a young boy. He moves through the city streets, following the creature's lead, and passing through several mistrustful, clearly unhappy individuals. They're all tired-looking, and their eyes are glancing at ea ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wordless picture book that shows that paying attention to small details can lead to another world. The illustrations are so detailed; readers will want to spend time pouring over them.
Ms. Arca
A soft, whimsical wordless picture book. The main character goes through a magical door and makes friends and has a colorful adventure that he won’t forget. The premise isn’t all that original of course, but its a sweet celebration of welcoming community and the ways in which life can be colorful when we have fun together. I will say I read this one in the bookstore and didn’t/ wouldn’t buy it.. it’s one to get from the library and enjoy, I’d say. Lovely and imaginative all the same.
Rebecca
From the author of "Pool" comes another imaginative wordless story. A young boy (in a gray world) follows an insect through a locked door to which he somehow has the key. Inside, there are many mysterious creatures (in color) going about their lives and speaking a language he can't understand (depicted with squiggles). But they welcome him warmly to their picnic, wedding, and reception, and he departs in full color himself -- and leaves the door unlocked for the next visitor.

The experience of no
Shan Salter
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
@kidlitexchange #partner #bookstagram #kidlitexchange #kidlit

Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

From the moment your eyes take in the cover of this wordless picture book you will be enticed inside its magical pages. A boy finds a key and follows a flying bug through the human world to a door. Inside, he finds a new land and unique creatures. He plays, picnics, swings, climbs trees, and even attends a wedding with his new friends. And d
Susie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I realized that this is the same author as Pool, it immediately made more sense. I am really intrigued by the way these illustrations were made. I wonder how many different pencil strokes there are! Students could probably come up with a story to go with the pictures, but I think some of the deeper meanings being ascribed to this would be a bit over their heads. I'm still trying to figure out why the instrument cover seems to say 'Gary Rogers' on it!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A wordless picture that takes readers on an adventure full of unique characters, and teaches readers friendships come in a variety of different ways. I liked the concept of the character opening the door to enter a new world. The door is a symbol of open mindedness, and the journey it takes you on.
Nick Swarbrick
A quirky exploration of imagination and freedom as a child uses a key to unlock a cobwebbed garden door to find a surreal world. Drawn beautifully in muted colours, the creatures involve the boy in all sorts of play. Part Where the Wild Things, part Secret Garden this is a gentle and intriguing delight.
Ashley Kempkes
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Reminds me of every heart a doorway
Kristina Jean Lareau
A funny little wordless picturebook.

Beautiful illustrations.
Patricia McLaughlin
A wordless version of Burnett’s The Secret Garden without any of its pleasures, featuring a hapless boy who escapes a bleak environment through a doorway into a colorful imaginary world populated by strange creatures who need a narrator to translate their word-bubble babble into a story.
Amanda
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3420, kaia, picture-books, 2019
Lee, JiHyeon. Door. San Francisco, Chronicle, 2018.
Author of critically acclaimed Pool unlocks the story of a boy who finds a key among monotone-colored adults with sour facial expressions. He follows a red elephant fly to a dusty door that opens to a vividly colorful world of friendship, joy, and celebration. Lovely use of line and shading create a simply inviting secret world (much like a secret garden!) in this exquisite wordless picture book.
Janet
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Beautiful. Joyous.
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a monochrome world, a strange, colorful bug drops a key and leads a boy to a door covered in cobwebs.

The boy thinks about it, but ultimately opens the door to find a whole new world full of color and very different creatures. After a rough start (he bumps into someone), he makes friends and is invited to a picnic and to play together. He ends up at a wedding (and in the wedding pictures). Along the way, we see a variety of different doors that are entries to this world for different looking c
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wordless book, the story is about a boy living in an unsmiling grey place until he finds a key that unlocks an old door. Lots to see in this book as the reader follows the boy's adventure.
Anna Davidson
A stunning wordless book about being curious and discovering the adventures that may await you when you follow your curiosity. The story begins with simple illustrations and lots of white space before becoming increasingly complex as the boy goes deeper into his adventure.
Sharlene Robertson
The moral of the story is tremendous-but I just can’t get over the illustrations-they were nightmarish!
Miss Sarah
A boy uses a key to enter a an animal wedding in this wordless book. One on one
Jennifer Strong
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, 2019
A little bizarre, but also very sweet. Made me think of inclusiveness. A bit Magician's Nephew, a bit Secret Garden.
Kim