Start by marking “Princess of Death (Curse of the Pirate Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Princess of Death (Curse of the Pirate Book 1)

Princess of Death

(Curse of the Pirate #1)

Never trust a pirate.
The plague struck without warning. Now, to save her people, Cali must cross the mysterious, impenetrable boundary to reach a treacherous land of magic and find the cure.
When she arrives, she not only discovers that she looks eerily similar to its princess, but that war is brewing on the horizon. The pirate king has come to call in a debt, and the price
Published January 10th 2019

King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Wicked King by Holly BlackThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
770 books — 1,812 voters
King of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiThe Wicked King by Holly BlackWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalThe Seduction Expert by Saya Lopez Ortega
Best Books 2019
534 books — 768 voters

More lists with this book...

Mandie
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story! Full of mystery and intrigue. I loved it. There was so much excitement through out the book, it was so hard to put down!
Coral Hammond
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler free review!

I really, really enjoyed this book! With a gripping storyline and intriguing characters I couldn’t put it down.
The world building was very well done and has left enough room for the author to expand as the series continues.
5 Stars. Would definitely recommend.
Emmanuelle Ide
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
- ARC review -

I was really interested by this story because I hardly ever see a YA novel with pirates. And who doesn't like pirates, right? They are mysterious, dark, brooding, rebels and scoundrels at times. Ok, maybe i'm too much but hey, it changes from vampires and princes, right?

I liked the setting of the story, different worlds, opposite one another, one dark, one light, the allegory behind that.

The way the author writes, she really takes you into a world that I had no problem imagining.
Topsues
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been a fan of Cortney Pearson since I read her amazing “Stolen Tears Series”. Once again it looks like she has another hit series in “Curse of The Pirate Book” Series. I try not to leave spoilers because you should enjoy this book for yourself. This story captured my heart from the beginning. This author has taken a spoilt princess and ripped her world apart, and has left her people dying. This storyline is about how far will princess Cali go to save her kingdom. She will face danger, dec ...more
Nadine Miranda
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly this sounded like my perfect book when I heard about it. Pirates, princesses, magic? I’m in.

The story wasn’t totally predictable like many books are, but it followed the standard for similar books, which is in no way a bad thing.

The world building was so well done and, I believe, an incredible metaphor for our world views today. There was so much packed in but so much more that can be created for these new incredible
Georgia
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free arc for an honest review. The blurb struck my fancy as soon as I read it and I couldn't help but ask for a copy. I debated so hard on how many stars to give it. So hard. I wanted to give it five stars but the beginning was a little slow. At least it was to me. It picks up more around 30-40% of the book when Cali embarks on her quest. I will say this, this book both did and didn't end up what I thought it would be and if you know me, you know I can easily predict where things ar ...more
Jamie  McColgan
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recently was Blessed to have found the amazing Author Cortney Pearson.

I have truly feel in love with this series is took me by my heartstrings and pulled me in further and further wanting more from beginning to finish. What an adventure! Journey!

Pirates!! Princess's!! Sea witches or (Goddess) Castles and MAGIC!! What more could you ask for in an incredible series.

The main character is Caliana whom is soon to becoming crown Princess of Zara.

Caliana Sacrifices everything to save her people,
Amanda M
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story pulled me in from the beginning, leaving me wanting to read more, to keep turning the pages, to see where the story would go and how it would end. The story gave me more than I expected. It was an eye opener for me. It showed how one person can change and become something more. It gave characters that were relatable. The characters were amazing. The lives everyone in the story lived were different but some of the characters made sacrifices and changed. Then the love that Cali has for ...more
Brittany Smith
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cali is not a normal princess-even though becoming the crowned princess of Zara is her dream she would do anything to save her people and Darren. When the plague comes to her kingdom she finds herself not only a victim but the only hope of survival. The thing is though-only magic will help and magic is not allowed in Zara.

I started this book and I did find it a little slow to start to be honest, but by the time I was 30% of the way through though I found myself swept away and flying through it.
Melonie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cortney Pearson is a new author for me,
and I loved this story.

The cover of this book is what first caught my interest; so beautiful, and engaging. Then, I read the blurb and knew this was a book I had to read.

The main character, Cali, braves the unknown to save her kingdom, and is very believable as her character grows and learns. She loves her people, and doesn't let her title go to her head. She discovers what is a new world to her, meets a pirate(s), and makes personal sacrifices for thos
Mererid Evanna
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The mystery of Undine – Is she witch or goddess? – is at the heart of this unusual fantasy story, which sees a sheltered princess sacrifice life as she knows it and brave a new land of magic to save her beloved and her kingdom. The quest seems simple at first – don't they all? – but is complicated when the other kingdom is threatened by a pirate fleet. I'm always dubious about the romanticization of pirates, but they are appropriately ruthless and brutal here, though the pirate prince is a charm ...more
Jill
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book! It was full of action and adventure, exciting and unexpected twists, and a bit of romance to boot. As a devoted fan of Ms. Pearson, I figured the book would be good when I saw it but I must admit that I had a bit of hesitation after reading that it contained fantasy and pirates. I just couldn't wrap my head around that from having read her previous novels - fantasy, yes...but pirates?? Remembering how much I enjoyed her other books, I gave this one a whirl and am so gl ...more
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, arc, fantasy
This was a strong introduction to the series. I was left feeling more or less ambivalent about most of the characters, with Cali being the exception.
Cali was an interesting character, and I liked her more and more as the story continued. She is a little entitled, which isn't surprising given her upbringing, but she also has a very strong sense of the responsibilities that come with her position and she cares deeply about others. I didn't really care very much about her romantic interests, but I
Erin
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cali a princess who gets what she wants learns of sacrifice for the first time and she will go through many lengths to save her freinds and her kingdom. She meets many people like Bae and learns of the secrets of her family her father King Marek and her mother hid from her about the goddess Undine and her family. She gains and loses love and learns of the depth she will go to help her cousin Soraya. Looking forward to book 2 and learning of the fates of Zora and Lunae Lumen.
Tammy
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story was steady paced with action mixed in. I enjoyed the characters of Cali and Bae even though we still aren't sure if he is truly good or bad or just in between. I'm rooting for in between. Soraya seems to be another good character but I'll need to read more about her. The story with Undine was a bit different and interesting. The story ending on a bit of a cliffhanger with the tournaments so I am looking forward to the next one. Story can go many ways in the next.
Soma Bhattacharya
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I recieved an ARC of this book*
The book had a good story plot and the ability to capture readers' interest. I also find myself waiting eagerly for the next book. This series, however good, was a slow start. Many would leave it unfinished. But once started, this book will leave you wanting more. Great starting to a brand new series.
Ruth
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cali is a strong princess that puts others first. Bae, the pirate, can you really trust him? Soraya is Cali's new found cousin and a princess. There is betrayal, deception, intrigue and the hope for romance. In the next book, we hope to find out will Cali and Soraya together be able to save Soraya's kingdom. Will Cali win back Bae? Can't wait to find out!
Courtney Lockwood
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you read a lot, you tend to find a similar element or story base in many books. This is not the case with 'Princess of Death", it's a fantastic read. When you look like a princess, and the result is catering to her wishes, to meet with unsavory characters. Pirates, princess, moonlight, and marriage, this story will keep you intrigued until the end!
Scarolet Ellis
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Princess of Death by Cortney Pearson is a wonderful story that I read by a brand new author for me. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brand new series that I started reading. I highly recommend this story to everyone.

Scott
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intrigue , mystery , and pirates do we even have to say anymore 😁 , Courtney Pearson has herself another winner . This book will grab you and you find yourself having a hard time putting this down . Never no spoilers in my reviews but if your looking for a new series to start then move this one to the top of your tbr list and you will be glad you did . 😁😁😁😁😁
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Princess of Death

Wow a powerful fantasy that swept me off my feet leaving me guessing at everyone’s intentions! I loved this new beautiful world of magic and pirates. The characters were enjoyable to read. I’ll be rooting for a HEA between a certainly sexy cursed pirate and a wayward princess.
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, ya, mythical, fantasy
A whirlwind adventure, a princess on a mission and a dastardly pirate curse: what more could you want? Perfect pacing and characterization, a story to sweep you off your feet and out to sea. Quite simply, this is exceptional fiction.
CJ Coss
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Without leaving any spoilers I wonder if Caliana and Bae will end up together no matter how angry he is with her. He took a piece of her heart. I can’t wait to see how the next story unfolds in the next book “Tournament of Power”.
Tina Merritt
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is a love/hate relationship. You love a character one moment and hate them the next, or hate/love them. I am conflicted or who I hate or love at the end of book 1.... guess I’ll need to read book 2 to ease my mind... 🤷🏼♀ ...more
Ola Adamska
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-2019
A princess on a mission, a sickness killing Her People, a witch calling what you have to do, a court intrigue with marriage to The Pirate.
This sounds like Great way to create a YA story, right? And Ms. Pearson delivered is one.
Characters are strong, intriguing. The plot sometimes was dragging, but not too much. I got what I hoped for and more. Especially secrets that were hinted but only told when it was needed to make sure a story will follow into a place.
I will grab book 2 for sure
Devin Murphy
Apr 09, 2019
Erin Hurd
Dec 18, 2018
Karen
Feb 21, 2019
Katherine Paschal

Princess Cali is devastated when her good friend dies of the plague that has been running rampant through her people, but when her love falls in, she is willing to do whatever she can to save him and the rest of the Kingdom. Acting on desperation, she visits an outcast magic user who makes her an offer- she can potentially save her people, but to do so she must travel to another region outside her world and make an ultimate sacrifice.

The cover of the book is seriously gorgeous, probably one of t
Dennis E. Callahan
Jan 11, 2019
Cortney Pearson is the USA Today bestselling author of the Stolen Tears series. She writes fantasy worlds brimming with adventure, loyalty, and romance, from wizards, to ghosts, to pirates. She is the mom of four cuties, loves classical music, chocolate, slow-burn kissing scenes, and sparkles. Not necessarily in that order.

Don't miss a thing regarding Cortney's books. Sign up for her newsletter!

Curse of the Pirate (2 books)
  • Tournament of Power (Curse of the Pirate Book 2)