Start by marking “The Bookish Life of Nina Hill” as Want to Read:
The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  69,084 ratings  ·  11,332 reviews
The only child of a single mother, Nina has her life just as she wants it: a job in a bookstore, a kick-butt trivia team, a world-class planner and a cat named Phil. If she sometimes suspects there might be more to life than reading, she just shrugs and picks up a new book.

When the father Nina never knew existed suddenly dies, leaving behind innumerable sisters, brothers,
Published July 9th 2019 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Bookish Life of Nina Hill, please sign up.
Medhansu No, I don't agree at all. Tom's a very nice guy, his only shortcoming was that he didn't know how to fully handle a woman with anxiety attacks. He stu…moreNo, I don't agree at all. Tom's a very nice guy, his only shortcoming was that he didn't know how to fully handle a woman with anxiety attacks. He stuck with her admirably thru all her initial rebuffs. In fact I am not sure how the relationship will fare going forward- there is a limit to how much any reasonable person can endure.(less)
Catherine Passmore There is a long conversation about receiving dick pics (which is funny if you're an adult, but may be too much for a middle schooler) and there's a li…moreThere is a long conversation about receiving dick pics (which is funny if you're an adult, but may be too much for a middle schooler) and there's a little sex - not graphic but it's there. It's a great story but not for tweens IMO.(less)

·  69,084 ratings  ·  11,332 reviews

Start your review of The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
Miranda Reads
description
I have read my way through 315 books to bring you my Top 10 Books of the Year (video) .

Now you know that this one made the cut, check out my video review to see the others!
description

"I mean, I get that the universe whirls in mysterious yada yada, but wouldn't you rather travel the world?"

"No, I'd rather stay home and read."
Nina Hill's life is perfect as it is, thank you very much.

She has an adorable little apartment, a fabulous job at a local bookstore (Knight's),
Nilufer Ozmekik
Yaaayy!!! Good news my friends! Nina is back for holiday!
Click this amazing author’s website: abbiwaxman.com
to get your story and boost your holiday spirit!🎉🥳🎄

And of course here’s my review for this smart, entertaining, one of the best books of 2019!📚

Five bold, big, underlined, shining, intellectual, quirky, weird, nuts, but so so so much entertaining, perfectly crafted, how can I resist to love it stars!!!

How any ordinary human being could resist the charm of Nina Hill’s characteristic attrib
Paromjit
Abbi Waxman's creation, the book obsessed 29 year old Nina Lee Hill was an absolute joy for me to spend time with, particularly with the mass of literary and cultural references littered throughout this wonderful piece of contemporary fiction with all its comic humour. Set in the offbeat district of Larchmont, LA, Nina works at the independent bookstore, Knights, established in the 1940s. It's the best fit for Nina, an OCD over planner, so Monica from Friends is obviously her favourite character ...more
Warda
This is a book that was written for me, where I saw myself in the character completely (bar the fact that she loves cats and is a complete trivia nerd!) which just made me feel hopeful.
It was adorable, heartfelt, genuine and it made me laugh out loud. Several times.

I love witnessing the growth of characters I can relate to and seeing them come out of their shell. I love reading and finding out how they handle what life throws at them. You almost seek them out for advice. Fiction is always a gr
Liz
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I resist a book about a bookworm? Not just a bookworm, but an only child bookworm that finds solace and peace in books, a child whose mother is absent and father is unknown. Well, until a lawyer appears informing Nina her father had died and she has half-siblings.

I love the writing style that Waxman uses. Reminiscent of a 19th century novel, complete with witty glimpses of what is to transpire at the start of each chapter.

There’s a dry sense of humor to this book. “He didn’t remind he
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The subject matter of this book seemed like a perfect fit to my tastes, seeing as how I identify so closely with the main character, Nina Hill. Just like Nina, I would much rather sit in a comfy chair with a beloved pet nearby curled up with a book and some coffee, than doing most anything else. I would much rather be in these same circumstances than have to make small talk with people. Like Nina, the bubble of my home is my happiness, with my kindles and thousands of book files (in her case, ac ...more
Angela M
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars (I have to round up since I love making lists and of course, I’m bookish.)

The truth is that many of us are like Nina Hill and live bookish lives. We might not be as quirky and maybe not as smart (I know I’m not), but there’s so much about the bookish part that’s relatable and that’s what made this made light and lovely and even though predictable read, so much fun. Oh, I rolled my eyes a few time when it was a bit too cute. But overall, even knowing that I could tell you how it was goi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Buddy read badge from For Love Of A Book 💕

I wasn’t sure about this book but one of my groups is doing a buddy read so I got it from the library. I’m going to buy this book now. This book made me laugh, love and cry! Favorites list peeps!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Norma
Delightful, amusing, & full of heart!

THE BOOKISH LIFE OF NINA HILL by ABBI WAXMAN is an engaging, fun, charming, and lighthearted tale that totally captures the beauty and life of a bookworm perfectly. I was immediately taken with this story and found myself totally mesmerized and in awe of how relatable, thoughtful and fantastic this story was. I pretty much had a smile on my face the whole time I was reading this book.

ABBI WAXMAN delivers an interesting, witty, endearing, and beautifully writt
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was the perfect book at the perfect time and I loved it SO MUCH! It was so charming and nerdy and got Los Angeles RIGHT and I just really, really, really enjoyed this. 10/10 do recommend reading this one when you're in need of a pick me up because it was just so good!!! ...more
Julie
The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman is a 2019 Berkley publication.

Sweet, witty, clever and whimsical- my kind of people- in my kind of book!

By some standards, Nina may seem a bit eccentric. But, truly, she just likes her job and her books and a solid routine. She may be a classic introvert, but she hangs out with her friends and competes in trivia competitions.

However, her quiet, ordered life turns topsy-turvy when she is informed that her father, a man she never knew, has passed away
Jilly
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Everyone is talking about how much they relate to Nina Hill and I didn't at all. Am I the weirdo here?

His cat is named Mom? Now that's weird.

To me, it was just too much. It's like, okay you can wear the unicorn t-shirt, but when you pair it with the cat leggings, the orange Converse, the rainbow hair, AND the cat-ears head band you are no longer being original - you are a walking stereotype.

That was Nina Hill to me. She worked in a bookstore, had hundreds of books at home, lived alone with a ca
Debra
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
This was a delight from start to finish. Books, reading, Larchmont. What’s not to love. Not only was I able to identify with Nina to some degree, I was able to imagine everything she did in the book, having lived in Los Angeles for so long and spending numerous hours on Larchmont Blvd. (Village Pizza, anyone? Sam's bagels! oh, the memories)

Nina is a bookworm who manages her life down to the second. She can pencil you in, if you are willing to wait a week, or two or three! She is an active partic
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Elisha at Berkely for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Thank you, Abbi Waxman for all the goodies!!!!!!

------------------
”Tomorrow would be better. At the very least, tomorrow would be different.”

(note: I read this a couple weeks ago and I just started school so my brain is all over the place and I can’t guarantee that this review will have any worthwhile content.) There is nothing more fun than reading a book about a book lover. It’s both enjoyable a
jessica
‘she thought of books as medication and sanctuary and the source of all good things. nothing yet had proven her wrong.’

i relate to nina on so many different levels - as an introvert, as a lover of books, as a planner/list maker/routine follower, as a cat owner, as a trivia fanatic, and as a woman.

i think AW does a wonderful job at representing all of these great attributes in one complex and relatable character. i know i am not the only person who sees themself in nina and i think that is a
emma
The best part of this book is: the bookish stuff.

The worst part of this book is: a tie between everything else.

I know that making protagonists bookworms and setting books in bookstores et cetera is a major marketing ploy, but I don’t care. If every book I read was about characters who loved to read in places to devoted to books, I’d be fine with that. More than fine. Overjoyed, even.

But alas, it is not to be.

Romantic comedies always sound really good to me, because I like comedy and I read a lot
BernLuvsBooks
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Embrace Your Bookish Life stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️!

Abbi Waxman you have left me absolutely smitten! 💖 This story has sassy wit, laugh out loud humor and so much heart. Not only did I unabashedly adore Nina and wholeheartedly fall in love with Tom (he definitely made it onto my Top 3 Book Boyfriends List) but I was also completely enamored with the book's entire cast of zany and unique characters. This bookish girl read the entire book with a smile on my face. Each book nerdism, pop culture reference
Susanne  Strong
4 Fabulous Stars.

A Novel for the Book Lover in All of Us!

Yes, it’s true, I loved Nina Hill. Perhaps it’s because I identified with her so much (no shock there!). Truthfully, I think most of us who like to read will (Hello, fellow book friends). I am single, I live alone and I spend almost every evening sitting in a comfy chair reading with my cat beside me. I see friends occasionally but not all that often. I am not a planner at all (although my book buddy Kaceey would beg to differ ... BAAHH!!!
Kaceey
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute! Cute! Cute! And a tasty dash of fun!

Nina feels life is just how it should be. Organized, clutter free and filled with everything she enjoys! She works at a bookshop, plays trivia on a team with her friends. And comes home to her faithful cat Phil who brings her presents in the form of dead worms!(Ick!!)

When a lawyer comes knocking on her door to tell her that her father has passed and she is in his will, Nina is stunned! She never knew her father! Not even his name! It was a secret her mot
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a charming book about books! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ I’m so happy authors are bringing us these types of reads, and Abbi Waxman has done an exceptional job with Nina’s story!

Nina has it all in her mind- a job at bookstore (I’d love that!), a winning trivia team (I love trivia!), the best planner (I’ve got multiple planners! 😂), and a treasured cat (I have three!). Oh, and did I mention Nina loves to read? So much so, it’s her only pastime.

Nina’s father, who she has never met, dies and leaves her with
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
This is the perfect book for all us bookworms out there who love anything bookish and like our main character would rather read over anything else. We highly recommend grabbing this one as soon as you can and spending some time with our fun, imaginative and very entertaining bookish introverted millennial heroine Nina Hill!

Abbi Waxman nails it here with everything about this story and our main character Nina Hill. I loved everything about this story and Nina. Nina is a character that I am sure a
Larry H
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

It should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me or follows me on any of my social media feeds that reading is one of the most immense joys of my life. Whenever I am asked by someone how I read so many books, I explain in part that reading helps me decompress—days when I don't get the chance to read even for a few moments leave me feeling out-of-sorts and much more tense.

Perhaps that love for reading is one of the many reasons I was utterly charmed by Nina Hill, the title character
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Nina works at a bookstore and she has a full schedule of reading, taking care of her cat and work. She really is happy doing just those things.

Nina resisted the impulse to pull out her imaginary blaster and blow the woman's head off, and got a microflash of the bit in Terminator 2 where his silvery head splits in the middle and waves about. Liz was always telling her to be warmer to the customers.

An introvert and pop culture references....yes, please. *forwarned that I'm breaking the rules
Toni
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The part of the review in which we meet Nina Lee Hill and discuss her personality
Nina Hill’s life is perfect:
-She has a job in an old bookstore in the middle of a quaint part of Los Angeles
-lives in a lovely apartment with a slightly judgemental cat Philip
-her marvellous friends with freakishly good memories help her rock the competitive trivia quiz world
-her wonderfully direct photographer mother is on a working assignment somewhere in China
-thousands and thousands of books with their marvellou
MarilynW
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I actually laughed out loud several times while reading this book and that's a rarity for me. Nina Hill really has most of her life put together so tightly that there is no room for dating or any other deviation from her very organized schedule. Even her one free evening that has "nothing" on her calendar, is reserved for four hours of reading. In some ways, I'm not sure there is anything wrong with Nina's life, not sure anything needs to be "fixed". We are all different and I admire the charact ...more
Tina
This is a women's fiction. I have been wanting to read this book since the first time I hear about it. I am so enjoy I finally picked it up because I loved it so much. I loved Nina's character. After Nina father dies his family finds her and she went from no family to a lot of family. I loved the book store. I loved her new family. I loved everything about this book. I could not put it down.

Re-Read this book in June 2021

I have to say the beginning is slow to get going, but once the book got goin
Kristina
(7.3.20: Brief note added to the end.)

I hate everything about Abbi Waxman’s The Bookish Life of Nina Hill. The shallow characters. The inane, trite dialogue that is mostly composed of trading quips about pop culture. The poorly constructed plot. The ridiculous, unconvincing romance. The silly errors that make me believe the author read her manuscript only once and her editor read it never. Mostly I hate that Waxman has written a book that tries to pass off being an avid book reader as a personal
✨ A ✨
Nina Hill's whole life revolves around her love for books. She works in a book store, is hostess to many book clubs. Has her own huge collection of books. She dreams and breaths books.

Nina is happy with her quiet life. She likes it that way. So when she receives the unexpected news of her father's death, a father she had never met and knew nothing about, the big family she suddenly inherited and all the ensuing drama that comes with that — shakes up Nina's life.

What I liked:
I loved everything
Sheyla ✎
I can enthusiastically recommend this story to someone who enjoys romance, trivia, and books!

Nina Hill lives a quiet life. She works in a bookstore, she loves reading, she has her cat, Phil and she enjoys a movie night with friends and her trivia night. Nina doesn't deviate from her carefully created life. She likes to be in control. Otherwise, her anxiety might get the best of her.

Nina doesn't really date. She has no time in her planner for a man although she can admit to herself and to her tr
Elyse  Walters
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Library overdrive ...
Audiobook... read by Emily Rankin...
...ebook alternating.

This is the second time I’ve read a book by Abbi Waxman.
I was quite harsh in my review of ‘The Garden of Small Beginnings’, but it honestly matched how I felt about it. I gave it a 1.5 rating and explained my reasons.

I could almost write the same exact review again.
It would be easy to
nit-pick sentence after sentence...
but rather than waste my own time - or anyone else’s - time with my emotions - my annoyance - explai

• Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • Beach Read
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist (The Friend Zone, #2)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • Things You Save in a Fire
  • In a Holidaze
  • Oona Out of Order
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Anxious People
  • Big Summer
  • What You Wish For
  • One to Watch
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • The Switch
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • In Five Years
See top shelves…
Hi there. I'm a chocolate loving, dog loving writer living in Los Angeles. I sit down if I can, and lie down whenever possible. If you enjoy my book and would like a personalized, signed bookplate to go in it, email me your name and address and I'll send you one! abbi@amplecat.com ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Being with you is as good as being alone.” 88 likes
“People were... exhausting. They made her anxious. Leaving her apartment every morning was the turning over of a giant hourglass, the mental energy she’d stored up overnight eroding grain by grain. She refueled during the day by grabbing moments of solitude and sometimes felt her life was a long-distance swim between islands of silence.” 70 likes