Start by marking “The Plus One” as Want to Read:
The Plus One

The Plus One

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating details ·  6 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A hilarious and heartwarming debut novel about a brilliant but socially inept robotics engineer who builds her own wedding date to her sister's wedding, and learns more about love than she ever expected.

Meet Kelly. Twenty-nine, valedictorian, and a brilliant robotics engineer to boot. While her professional life is on the rise, her personal life is struggling to get off th
Expected publication: July 2nd 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Plus One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plus One

liked it 3.00  ·

Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
The biggest problem with this book is that it relies on the reader falling in love with Ethan, Kelly's robot lover, and so feeling the same angst as her over the impossibility of their romance.

I couldn't give less of a &*!$ about Ethan.

He just never struck me as having a real personality. He didn't have a sense of humour. He had no hobbies or interests. His entire being was literally crafted by Kelly. It felt like I was reading a romance between a mother and her son, because the author ne
Amina Ibrahim
The Plus One is a humorous story about a robotics engineer Kelly, who has no luck in dating. With her sister's wedding close and her mother matchmaking her with different people so she can have a date to the wedding, Kelly decides to make a robot for a boyfriend to prove to her mother that she can get a date for herself. As her personal and professional life are clashing, Kelly has to decide what she wants more, a rising career or a robotic boyfriend.
I liked the plot. The humor was just perfect.
Claire
I feel like there's a lot to unpack here.

Diving in, I was full aware this was a romance, and not a story about female engineers, but considering engineering is (supposed to be) a big part of Kelly's life and her character, I was still a bit disappointed how trivial it was in the book. Another thing that disappointed me is Kelly's personality. Kelly is a typical engineering stereotype: awkward, nerdy, unsociable, difficult to maintain relationships both platonic and romantic. I'm not sure if she
Jillian Doherty
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light-hearted story about finding yourself, and new opportunities along the way.
Kelly is a refreshingly quirky character, and science forward protagonist. Here we see a women who’s less focused on romance but must contend with it.

With her sister’s wedding is quickly approaching, and family pressure to bring a date the story comes to ahead; she does what she knows best and finds so much more in her AI than ever expected.

Perfect for YA a crossover with its confidence encouraging promise, and s
Kristen
Dec 18, 2018 marked it as nope
sometimes, when my request for an ARC is declined, i get cranky and never want to read the book out of spite.

so.

too bad, this one sounds cute.
Rachel Reeves
Dec 27, 2018
Kelly Well Read
Dec 28, 2018
1 follower
Sarah Archer is a Black List Screenwriting Mini-Lab fellow who has had material produced for Comedy Central and published short stories and poetry in numerous literary magazines. After living in Los Angeles, where she worked in literary management and development on projects including House, Concussion, Roots, and Girls Trip, she currently lives in Brooklyn.

The Plus One is her debut novel