Start by marking “Full Throttle” as Want to Read:
Full Throttle

Full Throttle

In this masterful collection of short fiction, Joe Hill dissects timeless human struggles in thirteen relentless tales of supernatural suspense, including "In The Tall Grass," one of two stories co-written with Stephen King, basis for the terrifying feature film from Netflix.

A little door that opens to a world of fairy tale wonders becomes the blood-drenched stomping groun
Expected publication: October 10th 2019 by Gollancz (first published October 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Full Throttle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full Throttle

RELEASING OCTOBER 2019.

Yes. Hell yes.

Dan
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The masterful Joe Hill returns with FULL THROTTLE, a collection of thirteen short stories.

The thirteen tales range from dark fantasy to horror to sci-fi, but they all share the same relentless drive and sense of momentum that Hill has become known for. The book opens with a lengthy introduction, which reads more like a chat with really interesting friend. Hill relates several anecdotes about his career, childhood, and growing up as Stephen King's son, including one story that he means to be fu
Kate
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, edelweiss
Thanks to Edelweiss for the eArc!

I love Joe Hill and first fell for him because of his short story collection 20th Century Ghost. Like his father, Hill writes a damn good short story. I have read a few of these before, but I liked them even better upon rereading. The newer to me tales, especially You Are Released, were wonderful discoveries.

But I also love what Hill says in his forward and Author's Note- he is as fascinating as his characters (although he probably wouldn't agree) and I loved the
Tanya
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, arc
Thank you to HarperCollins/William Morrow for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review—and this far in advance, too! Full Throttle is the new and upcoming short story collection by Joe Hill, to be released on October 1st, and one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

I've read everything Joe Hill has published thus far, and I consider him one of my favorite authors—but I won't deny that I first came to his work because of who his father is. How fitting, then, that this ne
Samantha
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Joe Hill, HarperCollins, and Netgalley for the early access.

This collection of short stories was better than his last collection, STRANGE WEATHER. It's hard to pick a favorite among them, but I know LATE RETURNS has a lot of highlights of appreciation, while IN THE TALL GRASS will stay with me for a while.
Becky Spratford
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review coming to Booklist and blog in August
Stacy Fetters
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"And you’re not an envoy from the lord? You’re not an angel?
Nope. Just a librarian.
Ah, well. That’s close enough for me."

Full Throttle is like a shot of adrenaline. These short stories were some of the best that I have ever read. With short story anthologies, you seem to get some you like and some you hate. But I enjoyed every single one of these. They were weird and definitely on the spooky side. You'll want to add this anthology to your collection, you won't be disappointed.

At the beginning,
Taylor Iachini
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does anyone else finish a book by their favorite author and immediately want to write a review about it because you loved it so much that you want what you type to be an accurate portrayal of how you feel, but you ALSO like need a minute because HOLY CRAP that was a lot!!

Because that's what I deal with every time I'm blown away by Joe Hill's newest book. And let me just take a moment to appreciate the fact that the day that I finally join the ranks of NetGalley reviewers, I happen to get an AR
John Lynch
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure: I was provided with a free advance copy of Full Throttle by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Let me just start of by saying this. Joe Hill is a master of his craft. Much like his father, he has the skill to not only write a massive novel, but to create amazing short stories as well. The leap in quality from 20th Century Ghosts to Full Throttle is much like the leap from Heart Shaped Box to NOS4A2. It’s that good.
Full Throttle compiles 13 short stories. 2 of which are e
Andrea
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-2019, fiction
It is rare to consider the introduction to a book as part of its review, but this one deserves special mention, as it is a short story unto itself. In it, Joe Hill pays homage to the writers who have influenced him, most notably (and most lovingingly), his parents, Stephen and Tabitha King. How wonderful to be raised surrounded by writers (and readers), who encourage and support. While growing up in the shadow of the world's most beloved horror fiction writer could have been daunting, Hill sees ...more
Bonnie
Jun 27, 2019 marked it as not-released  ·  review of another edition
Pretty sure I've read a few of these already but if there are new ones, I'm on board.
Roger Bailey
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joe Hill is fully aware of the comparisons to his father and in the intro to this collection of short stories he takes them head on. Having followed him since 2006 I still get excited when he puts out new things. While I think his last two novels have gotten a little too long winded, Strange Weather his novella collection was great.

When it comes to the shorts here I had read all but three of them; the two previously unpublished and All I Care About is You (from a 2017 collection I somehow misse
Chris DiLeo
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Joe Hill's work, and so I managed to get my hands on an Advance Reader's Edition of FULL THROTTLE. Don't ask how—but it was worth it.

When Hill is at his best, he writes fast-paced stories that are lush with creativity, resonate with fully dimensional characters, and stir the reader emotionally.

The best stories in this collection are testaments to that praise.

"Throttle": an excellent homage to Matheson's "Duel." High-octane action. (Co-written with Stephen King.)
"Dark Carousel": youthful r
John McManus
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Joe Hill returns with Full Throttle, a collection of thirteen horror and suspense stories. This is his third story collection. Perhaps one of the biggest selling points for this collection is the two stories he co-write with his father, horror master Stephen King. While it's true that I enjoyed those stories (Throttle and In the Tall Grass), they weren't my favorite stories in this great collection. A few of my favorites were Dark Carousel (where the horses of the carousel come to life), Late Re ...more
Lizy
Note: special thanks to the ABA for supplying me with a copy of this ARC through Copperfish Books.

So, you ever go to a down-home diner and get a real good meal of like, biscuits and gravy with eggs and cheesy grits on the side or something, and think "man, this is gonna stick to the ribs but I don't care cuz it's gonna be great?"

Full Throttle is that, but for your brain. It's gonna stick in your head and when you least expect it, it's gonna float back up to the surface. You'll be driving down th
James
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get a copy of this ARC from my local bookstore in exchange for a review. I was also lucky enough to have read a fair amount of these beforehand in e-book form and enjoyed getting to read all of them again in this compilation.

Despite any of the stories being connected in any way, they did a very good job of flowing from story to story. Devoured the book in chunks purely through time constraints, never because the move from one story to another was jarring. The ones written
Cathy
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full Throttle is Joe Hill’s latest compilation, and it does not disappoint! The stories have a much broader range than Strange Weather did, and Hill continues to ply his craft with depth and subtlety as he grows as an artist. I so enjoyed the forward in the book where he spoke of his childhood with two authors; how special that time was, and is even now. Full Throttle takes you for the full spectrum of irony, revenge, horror, noir and karma, with more switchbacks than a mountain road with no gua ...more
J.S. Bailey
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Despite the morbidness of the stories in this collection, I really enjoyed it. (If it's taught me anything, it's that it is extremely unwise to drive through remote areas of the country, because (view spoiler).)

A common theme prevalent throughout the collection is Terrible Things Happening to Terrible People Who Deserve It, so it was satisfying, in a way. I especially liked the story "Faun," which had a twist ending I didn't see coming.

N
Karen Bullock
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Read this as an arc)
An amazing array of different stories that encapsulates horror & pure psychological terror within the stories & their vibrant characters.
Throttle was a brilliant choice to start with. A heady mix of 2 fabulous writers & the story was fast paced, high octane, anxiety & sheer terror driven(no pun intended).
Dark Carousel was another favorite of mine. A mix of horror & fantasy & some mind bending events take place in this story, that made it seem as if yo
Erin
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much. Short story writing is a unique skill, and Joe Hill has it. Each story is unique and engaging -- and quite different (in tone, in voice, etc.). I particularly loved the introductory and closing essays. These are a wonderful way to stitch together short stories that were all originally published in disparate places.
Ebony
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-galleys
Review to come 09.2019
Jason Coffman
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fuck it. Im going out on a limb.
Stephen
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of these stories I read in other publications. Dark Carousel and Late Returns were new stories and I enjoyed them immensely.

Joe really has inherited his father's skill at storytelling.
Susan Degnan
Amy Bartelloni
Jul 07, 2019
Erin
Jul 01, 2019
Joe Hill's debut, Heart-Shaped Box, won the Bram Stoker Award for Best First Novel. His second, Horns, was made into a film freakfest starring Daniel Radcliffe. His other novels include NOS4A2, and his #1 New York Times Best-Seller, The Fireman... which was also the winner of a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award for Best Horror Novel.

He writes short stories too. Some of them were gathered together in