Start by marking “Labyrinth of Shadows” as Want to Read:
Labyrinth of Shadows

Labyrinth of Shadows

A prince sworn to slay the monster. A princess determined to save it. Who's the real hero?
They call her the cursed princess. Daughter of a tyrant king. Sister to the monster. For seven years, she watched helplessly as her father sacrificed human tributes to the beast trapped within the maze.

When the queen begs her for help, she knows this is her chance to prove herself--t
Published October 14th 2018 by Paper Moon Press

Start your review of Labyrinth of Shadows
Suzannah
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Yup. Definitely good enough to read twice in a year.

I think I've found a new favourite indie author!

This book has been on my radar for a while...THAT COVER! THAT PREMISE! (A historical fantasy retelling of the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur from Ariadne's POV as a bull dancing Cretan princess on a mission to save her monster bro? ALL THE YES PLEASE.) So, when the Fellowship of Fantasy Indie Book Club picked Greek myth as its theme for January, I nominated the whiskers off this baby.

Stil
Savannah Jezowski
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Gritty but Beautiful

I am not usually a fan of Greek mythology, but I actually enjoyed this retelling. That’s saying a lot. There are some truly chilling moments (how can there not be with a monster in a maze) and yet there are also some of the most beautiful passages I’ve read. Ariadne’s journey to discover the meaning of love was wrenching but beautiful.
Claire Hill
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was Really Good. 4.5 stars.
Labyrinth of Shadows is an amazing retelling of Ariadne and Theseus and the Minotaur and the Labyrinth. This story is so fantastic, giving Ariadne so much agency as she descends into the labyrinth with the tributes from Athens on a secret agenda of her own. I found it extremely compelling and the author’s thoughts on fate, redemption, and love very moving. She also weaves in other recognizable Greek characters to build a full and rich world that I would love to s
Mary Clark
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an extraordinary and compelling story from start to finish. It is well-written and very descriptive; almost as if you were a part of the dark and mysterious Labyrinth yourself. It is a lengthy book, but this in no way detracts from the overall story that gripped me from start to finish. This is certainly a book I would have no hesitation in recommending.

Ariadne is the shadow princess, the cursed sister of the Monster, but she wasn’t cursed simply for being his sister, she was curs
Selina
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy
This was a fantastic book! It's heartbreaking and hopeful, exciting and terrifying. My only real complaint was I felt the ending went on a little long, but I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves fantasy or mythology. ...more
Tigerlille
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An Exceptionally well written recreation of the ancient labyrinth and Minotaur story, told from the POV of an outcast young princess of Crete, Ariadne

This recreation of the ancient story of the labyrinth and the Minotaur is retold from the point of view of Ariadne. Ariadne’s once happy family has been destroyed by tragedy, and Ariadne is portrayed as a girl who, although technically a princess, is in reality a scorned outsider. She is desperate to regain the love and acceptance of her parents an
Katy
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for a well-written and interesting twist on the Minotaur story from Greek mythology. The author has made Princess Ariadne even more sympathetic than the one I remember from the original story, mainly because she has so much spunk and determination and has not let her scarred and tragic childhood suck her down into despair. She's brave enough to dance with bulls and yet cares so much about others, she's willing to sacrifice herself to save the ones she loves. Her journey through the Lab ...more
Patrice Doten
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars (rounded up). Fantastic story. Excellent writing. I like to support indie authors whenever I can, but my academic literary background gives me exceptionally high standards of craft. And while I’ve read some incredibly inventive stories with tons of potential, without the editorial resources of a big publisher, indie books often fall far short of the craft bar for me. Not so this one.

Labyrinth of Shadows is a beautifully crafted, very original treatment of the Minotaur myth. It sucked
Marie Mooso
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I love Mythology! Earlier this year, I read the gorgeously written Circe by Madeline Miller. It made me weep, it made me shout in triumph, it gave me all the feels. It also awoke a longing for even more Mythology!

Luckily, I was offered the opportunity to read an e-arc of Labyrinth of Shadows, and I instantly jumped at the opportunity. I was not disappointed.

The book Circe has a part about Crete, and the mythical Labyr
ʙᴇʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always loved all sorts of Mythology, mostly Japanese, Egyptian, Mesopotamian, Celtic. But Greek Mythology holds a special place in my heart, maybe because it was the very first I've learned about. This is the first retelling I read about Ariadne and Theseus. I've never been a fan of mythology's Theseus honestly, because well, we all know how manipulative he was with Ariadne. I always felt sorry for her...
In this retelling, Ariadne is more of a badass and I loved every bit of her, mostly her i
Christina Morley
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a descriptive retelling of Theseus and the Minotaur that stays fairly true to the original, but tells it that much better. There are several themes to the story like taking fate into your own hands and the meaning of real love. This book has elements of a romance, but isn't. Think Greek Mythology and leave it at that!

The story is told from Ariadne's point of view. Ariadne is the strong female heroine who is controlled by her fear of failure and wanting to be loved and accepted by her ho
Kaye
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ONE FASCINATING TALE!!!
Wow! Talk about grabbing your attention from the start. This is one action packed, steady paced, nailbiting, heart pounding, pulse racing, page turning delight that keeps you on your toes and eyes glued to the pages. All the twists and turns, ups and downs, a few glitches here and there make for one enjoyable experience. Drama, suspense and danger run rampant as tension spirals with every terror filled step the characters take. Lies, deceit, backstabbing and betrayal are h
Becca
I nearly decided not to read this book because I was afraid would be shallow and predictable. It's not. Read it if you don't believe me! After all, the set-up sounds so obvious: a girl has to decide whether to be loyal to her slightly unsavory family or the hot warrior dude who's trying to kill her brother. We all know how that'll go down, right? Wrong. Kyla Stone took this trope and twisted it to suit her own designs, but in such a sneaky way you might not even see it coming. The themes don't s ...more
Jenny
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great story, brilliantly retold.
I loved Kyla Stone’s previous books, and was slightly worried when she said she was going to retell a well-known Greek myth. However, when I actually read it I was very impressed and somewhat put in my place. It was really good!
I am happy to report that nobody has been given super powers or made ludicrous, and the story has not been twisted out of all recognition. The characters are well written and believable, and it results in a fantastic tale of who, why
Rosemary
Labyrinth of Shadows - a review by Rosemary Kenny

A modern retelling of the legend of Theseus and the Minotaur has a kick-ass feisty heroine in Ariadne, the daughter of King Minos of Crete, a hero who's going to get his butt kicked if he doesn't forget the idea of killing the legendary Minotaur, who by the way is Ariadne's brother Arterion, cursed when younger and hidden away in the eponymous Labyrinth of Shadows by their father.
How do things work out? Will Theseus get the HEA with Ari that he'd
Donna
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Labyrinth of Shadows is truly a awesome story. Kyla has taken a mythological tale and turned it on its ear so to speak. Telling the tale with Ariadne being the central heroine is absolutely brilliant. Kyla's description of the labyrinth is awesome -- one I would not care to tread. Her character development is spot on, each being so vivid. From the first page to the last, you experience so many emotions. It is a book that you do not notice the passing of tine as you keep turning pages. This is a ...more
Miriam Dumitra
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow. If someone had told me I'd be reading a book about some teenagers stuck in a nightmarish labyrinth and loving every page... well, I probably would have believed them, but I never would have guessed just how this book would suck me in. This wonderful page turner re-invents the myth of Ariadne, Theseus, and the Minotaur. With a kick-ass female lead, real stakes, interesting characters, and a twist at the end, there's a lot to love about this book. The only thing I will say in its detriment is ...more
Laurin
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Labyrinth of Shadows is a marvelous retelling of the myth of Theseus and Ariadne. The author’s command of detail made the story absolutely engaging, and she even managed to make the Minotaur a sympathetic character!
I loved how the author made Ariadne the star, the heroine, rather than the traditional route of Theseus saving everyone. Her detailed backstories for all the characters, especially Ariadne, made them so authentic, so real, so vulnerable, you could almost believe this had really happe
Nicole Brunskill
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent Read!

I have always been a fan of myths of many different cultures as well as being a fan of historical fiction. This book that I stumbled upon was a marriage of both myth and historical fiction, retold in the lingo of modern times. Theseus and Ariadne is one of my favorite Greek myths, and I believe it was very well written. There's a lot of action, a mystery of Ariadne's past to solve, and a bit of romantic...tension. I look forward to more books from this series, perhaps Persephone??
Pravisha
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a truly enjoyable read right from the beginning. It was so easy to identify with the emotions and thoughts and doubts of the cursed princess. This story will take you through a whole range of emotions... most powerful of which is the author's skill at conveying gut wrenching sadness. The fact that it was based on Greek Mythology made it even more appealing. It would be interesting to follow the Labyrinth survivors lives to see how their second chance at life unfolds.
Birty
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Myth Retold

An interesting retelling of the Minotaur and the famed labyrinth of Crete. Instead of Theseus being the great hero, the reader is given Ariadne, the princess of Crete finds a way to enter the labyrinth and try and save the Minotaur, who is her brother. The characters are rich in description and emotion. The story is ripe with danger, tension and fear. This is also a story of a young girl who realizes her worth is more than what her family and suitor want to give her.
Katherine M
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Princess Ariadne of Crete dances with the bulls, longing to prove herself worthy to her parents and to her people. In their eyes, she is the cursed princess who should have died. Her mother offers her a chance to prove herself. All she has to do is betray an enemy.
Ariadne enters the Labyrinth with the Athenian sacrifices. But in the dark, among the dead, with her monstrous brother hunting them, she begins to question everything she knows.
A creative retelling of Theseus, Ariadne, and the Labyri
C.O. Bonham
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a retelling of the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur. It flips the myth a little bit and makes the princess Arideine the hero instead of Theseus.

I liked the story as a retelling, it was different and gave a new perspective to an old tale.

The main Characters were well developed, Theseus and Arideine, but there were too many minor characters to really get to know them. It was actually really easy to tell who would die based on how close they were to the main two characters.

I have to s
Rachael
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rich retelling of the Greek myth, Labyrinth of Shadows if fabulously written. The characters are strong and vibrant, while staying true to the original tale.

Ariadne is fierce, but has a heartbreaking decision to make. Her journey through the story is inspirational, courageous and full of wonder.

The additional characters in the story are well thought out, the plot wonderfully written.

I'd recommend to anyone that enjoys reading!!
Bethany Hoeflich
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The ending of Labyrinth of Shadows brutally tore my heart from my chest and stomped on it.

It was awesome!

From the first page, Kyla Stone gripped me in her sorcerous clutches and I couldn't bear to put the book down. The writing is exquisitely immersive, making you feel as though you are in the labyrinth with the tributes.

Even though the storyline was wrapped up in a single book with no cliffhangers, I sincerely hope that there will be a sequel!
B. Fleetwood
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Immerse yourself in the world of Greek mythology with this re-telling of Theseus and the Minotaur. It is written from the point of view of Princess Ariadne, cursed daughter of King Minos and sister to the Minotaur, so deranged and bloodthirsty it has been locked into the Labyrinth from which there is no escape.
Kyla Stone is a brilliant writer. Her characters are real and gritty; they will draw you right into the story. Fantastic read.
UmlautHerper
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Retelling with Unexpected Twists

I enjoyed this overall. I'm not super familiar with the original myth so I can't really compare that way but there were many unexpected elements that happened throughout the story.

I did feel like once the main story concluded the end dragged a little bit. Too many chapters sailing into the sunset for my taste once they wrre free of the labyrinth but still a lot of fun.
Jessica Campagna
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts off right in the middle of the action. You go to the first page and bam! Bull dancing. The author sticks true to Greek mythology and has amazing characters and an amazing story to show for it. This is well researched, very action packed and easy to follow along.

I reviewed a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Stephanie Akin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Labyrinth of Shadows hooked me right from the start. I enjoyed reading this book from beginning to end. Kyla writes wonderfully and she really tells a great and intriguing story. I really loved the character development and the story line itself. If you like historical mythology fiction, definitely get this book. It was fantastic and I can't wait to read more of Kyla's other novels. :) ...more
Lee
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

• Ghostlight (The Reflected City #1)
  • Sand and Storm
  • Blood Traitor
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Counted with the Stars (Out From Egypt, #1)
  • The Holy Spirit An Introduction
  • Heart of the Curiosity
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms, #1)
  • Prince of Stars, Son of Fate
  • Ghoulfire (The Reflected City Book 2)
  • The Cipher (Nina Guerrera, #1)
  • The Glamourist (The Vine Witch, #2)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons
  • Soulless at Sunset (Last Witch Standing #1)
  • Night Shifter (Magical Creatures Academy, #1)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)