Start by marking “Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family” as Want to Read:
Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family

Indian-ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family

A witty and irresistible celebration of one very cool and boundary-breaking mom’s “Indian-ish” cooking—with accessible and innovative Indian-American recipes

Indian food is everyday food! This colorful, lively book is food writer Priya Krishna’s loving tribute to her mom’s “Indian-ish” cooking—a trove of one-of-a-kind Indian-American hybrids that are easy to make, clever,
Published April 23rd 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Indian-ish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indian-ish

Shagufta
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an Eid present and so far everything I've made from this book has been easy to make and turned out yum. It’s a gorgeous book and so far the author’s clapbacks to those using terms like chai tea and naan bread and trying to appropriate kitchri may be my favourite part. Five stars.
Halle
Jan 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Indian food is my favorite food on the fucking planet and Priya is so cool and cute so sign me up fam
Krithika
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I only tagged 5-6 recipes to try out, I thoroughly enjoyed the commentary and the endearingly relatable Krishna family.
Alli
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Very sweet (and appropriate to read over Mother's Day weekend!) - I love Indian food, though my experience is often limited to heavy takeout/buffets that leave me needing a nap. As she repeats over and over, "Indian food is everyday food" and I've bookmarked a bunch of recipes (and ordered new spices on Amazon) to give a try for dinner.
Claire
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically "four dozen reasons why my mom is amazing" and I am all here for cookbooks that so heavily feature an author's family
Kurt Fox
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I liked the spunkiness of this book. There is much feeling of love (especially towards mom) and concept of family, and appreciation. The backstories are fun and interesting. This feels like a glimpse into someone's private life, and a family's recipe book that was suddenly made available for everyone.

However, this is a book of recipes. As such, I was not terribly impressed with some of the recipes. As the author notes, many Americans tend to think of Indian cooking as the heavy flavorf
Kirsten
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fun, with great color photos. Not where I would look for traditional recipes, as the title suggests. Definitely a good library book, as I doubt I'll cook many of the recipes.
Lisa
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly written, this book draws you in and makes you want to cook every single recipe. It's in between a cookbook and an introduction to the author and her family. You really feel like you know them by the end, in a slow and lovely reveal. And every recipe looks more delicious than the last. I want to take off two weeks, invite Priya and her family over, and cook each recipe with them.
Brianna Sowinski
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this mix of cuisines, great recipes.
Mona
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the only cookbook I've read cover-to-cover, and will probably look lots of recipes from (making 2 this week!)
Ritu Krishna is my hero and I would totally watch a lifestyle show about her.
E.
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming cookbook that shows not just a love of food but the love of a family loving food! Can't wait to make the olive tapenade!
Richard Thompson
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-and-food
I have a lot of cookbooks, but I mostly just use them for cooking, not reading. When I received this book as a gift, I started by browsing the recipes, and had an initial reaction that it was nothing more than a bunch of faux Indian/American fusion dishes that would not interest me, but then I started reading the introductory patter that accompanies each recipe, and I fell in love with Priya Krisha. She has a lively, fun authorial voice. I want her to come over to my house and cook with me and t ...more
Bookworm
Loved the title and thought it would be an interesting read. Not a great cook by measure but I was intrigued by the premise and always love books of this genre: a combo cookbook/food history/memoir was thoroughly enjoyable with some lovely pictures.

I wasn't familiar with Krishna beforehand so I went into this not knowing what to expect. It's not dissimilar to many other books that are like this. There's a lot about Indian food, her family, insights on recipes, explainers on what ingredients are,
Juli Anna
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
What an awesome cookbook. It seems like everyone is out to find the most "authentic" world recipe books, and I tend to think that's bosh. It doesn't matter where you live, our cuisines are full of borrowed foods and fusion cooking, and I wish more foodies would accept that, rather than striving for some sort of purity that doesn't exist. I hope that "ethnic" cookbooks take a note out of Krishna's book; while studded with helpful techniques and ingredients from "traditional" Indian cooking, this ...more
Kaileigh
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books is awesome, I've already made a few recipes and I'm planning more. I read the book cover to cover since I really enjoyed hearing about the author's family and how the recipes were developed. No professional chefs were involved in the making of these recipes, so it's very accessible home cooking. I'm very picky about cookbooks since I get a lot of recipes online and don't like keeping a whole book around if I only need it for one or two recipes, but I'm strongly considering buying a co ...more
Eh?Eh!
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook-club
Approachable, delicious. Indian cuisine has seemed difficult but this book condenses recipes down to things found in the American grocery store or in a specialty store that may be nearby in most larger urban areas that support immigrants for technical corporations. Anyway.

Everything I've tried to make has been easy, including the yogurt. I have visions of making a constant stream of yogurt, such that I will never purchase another plastic container again. It's still more loose than I'd like, but
Maria
p83: Spinach & Feta Saag Paneer
p109: Avocado, Corn, & Tomato Kachumber
p113: Dosa Potatoes, with Lime and Ketchup
p126: Tomato-Cheese Masala Toast
p127: Dahi Toast (Spiced Yogurt Sandwich)
p157: Kadhi (Turmeric-Yogurt Soup)
p170: Tomato Rice with Crispy Cheddar
p173: Warm Cumin, Asparagus, Tomato, and Quinoa Salad
p196: Shrikhand (Sweet Cardamom Yogurt)
p199: Quinoa Kheer
Ericka Hall
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book that contains recipes that are traditionally Indian but also a lot of yummy fusions with Indian cuisine. I've tried bhindi, aloo gobi, green beans with chick pea flour, and the raitas so far. They were all delicious. I really wanna make the aloo parathas and try the roti pizza next! The pictures in this cookbook are gorgeous too, and most of the ingredients are easy to find as long as you have access to an Indian grocery market in your city.
Xavier
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuisine
Nice family cookbook! I really like how the well the essentials are the covered. The first chapter is the best part of the book. Also, I find it great how proudly she presents her family’s cuisine; it unapologetically not “authentic Indian” (I agree with Padma Lakshmi’s intro about the problems with that phrase) but also doesn’t pander to the typical meat & cream-heavy palate of most westernized Indian food.
Beth
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: browsed
I just browsed this cookbook/family anecdote collection but I was pretty happy with it.. Family stories are fairly interesting. Recipes all look easy-to-intermediate and delicious, and the author provides plenty of substitution ideas if you don't live in an area with access to Indian spices. I plan to try a few of the recipes and maybe report back here.
Labiba Khan
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saw a review for this on Mindy Kaling's IG - have been wanting to check it out since! Finally got it yesterday and have tried out a couple of the salads. Excited to try out the rest of the recipes soon! The recipes are easy to make and are authentic, yet modern.
Lara
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this cookbook a lot--almost everything in it sounds delicious (I say almost because there are like, five recipes in it that have meat), looks easy, and comes with amusing commentary. I'm definitely planning on working my through many of these recipes very, very soon!
Annie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I'm a big fan of BA and watched Priya make her Saag Feta before this book came out and figured I would probably love it. Really enjoyed reading it and am looking forward to all the cooking I'll get out of it.
Rachel
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I wouldn't put cookbooks on here, but Priya Krishna's writing is so witty and fun that I'm making an exception. Lovely recipes and photos but mostly you will just want to hang out with her family while they make and eat delicious things! Her dad's essay about yogurt is a real classic.
Emily Wilson
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Tried 2 recipes so far and loved them. Will be making more soon!!
KathleenB
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven’t tried any of the recipes yet, but the nook is an entertaining read, and quite a few re pies look worth trying out.
Janet
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Fun accessible take on Indian food. Loved the artwork and am looking forward to reading the illustrator Maria Qamar's book "Trust No Aunty."
Catie Monks
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best cookbook ever. Must buy a copy now so I can get busy and make rather than just looking at the delightful photos and wishing I knew the author personally.
Tina Peak
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I believe I could create these recipes.
Vantine
Mostly veg and easy to veganize.
Priya Krishna grew up in Dallas, Texas, and is a recent graduate of Dartmouth College, where she became adept at assembling meals from the a la carte items available at the dining hall through a weekly column she wrote for her school newspaper and a position she held as a liaison between the dining services administration and the student body. Priya contributed to the Small Kitchen College website ...more