Start by marking “Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet

Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet

(Star Wars: Miniseries)

Collecting Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet #1-5 & Star Wars: Beckett #1.

Untold adventures of a young Han Solo! How does a thief, accustomed to the chaos of back-alley brawls, adjust to the order and discipline of the Imperial Navy? Not very well! And Han's dream of becoming a pilot is quickly grounded when he realizes he may not even survive basic training. After
Published May 28th 2019 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Ben Brown
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
So confession: I wasn’t the biggest fan of last year’s “Solo.” While I certainly didn’t hate it, it’s easily my least favorite “Star Wars” movie (yes, even behind “Attack of the Clones”) and ranks, for me, as the first truly forgettable entry in the franchise. I didn’t find any of the characters particularly interesting; I didn’t think the storyline was all that engaging; I didn’t think the action scenes were even remotely exciting. All in all, it was a movie that I walked out of thinking, “Well ...more
Neil R. Coulter
Jun 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really liked the Solo movie, and I was curious about Han's training at the Imperial academy. Unfortunately, this graphic novel is bland and shallow. It doesn't feel to me much like Star Wars or like Han Solo. Also, I found the artwork difficult to follow sometimes—hard to figure out what I'm supposed to focus on in very busy, cluttered panels.
Roy
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the greatest story Ive read on Solo but not the worst. Art was fun.
Billy Jepma
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, comics, star-wars
There was potential here—I think the movie SOLO should’ve focused more on Han’s time in the Empire, and was hoping to get a taste of that here—but this is mostly forgettable miniseries that, like a lot of Marvel’s Star Wars minis, feels more like an obligation than anything.

Which is too bad, because underneath the paper thin characters and the stakes-less plot, there are a couple moments here that I really liked. The 3rd issue, which takes place in a casino, is the only point in the series wher
Skye Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
What exactly was the point of this mini-series?

We didn't learn anything new about the Empire or the war. We didn't learn anything new about Han's personality, skills, or motivations. The new characters were forgettable blips that won't ever be heard from again.

There are dozens of better Star Wars stories out there, and there are probably hundreds of better space/flight academy stories.
C. Scott
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty lame... this is the part of the story that gets skipped over in the recent Han Solo standalone movie. It seems like it would be fun to find out what Han was like when he was at the Empire's naval academy. The problem is that this just becomes another opportunity to underscore that Han is a rule-breaker with a heart of gold. If Han always chooses to act heroically and sometimes grouses about it - the character is robbed of all his danger.

In the original trilogy, Han's character had an arc
Adam Fisher
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars.
Filling the time jump gap from Solo, we see Han's time as a Cadet on Carida from when he left Corellia till a few years into his Imperial Pilot Training. Like you'd expect, he's a horrible student and an amazing pilot (all vehicles). Though he starts "solo", and doesn't get along well with his squad, that changes as they come to understand each other.
Everything feels very "scoundrel" and "swindler" and even "thief"... which makes it perfect for a younger Han. I wonder if they will con
Alexander Peterhans
I think this series is meant to be a rip-roaring adventure, but instead it's filled with cliches and just sort of.. dull.

I was interested to see what Imperial training would look like, and the friction you'd expect from 'good guy' Han Solo working with the space Nazis - there's little of that here. In fact, the series goes out of its way to avoid difficult questions and letting Solo (and the rest of his squad) off the hook.

And then there's the art. I get that young Solo has to look like Alden Eh
Jordan Anderson
Thought short and lacking some context (especially if you happened to make the bad decision to skip over last year's Solo film), Imperial Cadet was actually a very entertaining read.

It doesn't do a totally perfect job of filling in the gaps of Han Solo's imperial career (I'm hoping a second volume is green lit and continues to tell more of Han's stories), but still, as the start to a possibly continuing series, you could do far worse...even in the Marvel/Disney Star Wars series.
Kalinda
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a super entertaining read. If you’re a Star Wars fan and fan of Solo (who isn’t) this is a fun and even touching glimpse on Han’s past where we see him fall in with some Imperial cadets who have troubles of their own. I really enjoyed watching the friendships that Han struck with the other cadets and found the ending to be sweet. This is a light, fun, entertaining read with fun plot twists and turns!
C
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was decent, but the plot and the characters are all paper-thin. It all has a bit of a been-there-seen-that feel.

The casino issue was definitely a high point and the inclusion of the Beckett one-shot elevates it a lot (it is one of my favorite one-shots in Star Wars history. But anything with Rio and Val is good with me. I loved them in Solo and want to see more, more, more about them...) Otherwise, it flowed along forgettably until its end.
Jason
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun miniseries. Robbie Thompson is one of my favorite comic writers. He balances great character work with fun plots and a dash of humor. In this book, we get a glimpse of Han Solo's early days in the Empire Navy and his struggles to adapt to life in a very confined system.

Gorgeous art and a fun, non-Jedi Star Wars story. I know the film wasn't the biggest hit but I would love a sequel. To either Han's continued adventures or the adventures of other characters introduced here
Simeon Scott
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
A solid start to this series, though I could have done with a bit more context as to who that girl who was with Han at the start was, with some equally solid art. I don't think I'll be keeping up with it as it's not my kinda thing, but I would say it's worth it for other Star Wars fans to check out.
Benjamin Barham
Mar 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
There are a lot of questions about Han Solos background. What a one-dimensional story about his time with equally one-dimensional characters in basic training might be like probably isn't one of them.
Ahdom
This was not the best limited series, but I really enjoyed seeing into the window of time he spent in the Empire. I think that a YA novel or an adult novel, telling a story during this time, would be a lot of fun.
Jonathan Roberts
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Decent book. I like the background even if I did not enjoy the Solo movie. I like the background but as with all mythic heroes sometimes getting the back story does not make it better but more muddled. Kinda the same here. But not terrible
Morgan
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Sesana
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, star-wars
Pointless. The wasted potential was probably the worst thing here. Of course I wanted to know more about Han's time in the Empire, but it's not really here.
CB
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
As good as anything else I've read in Star Wars comics. It doesn't do a ton to push the mythology forward, but tells a fun, interesting story. Good art too.
Sam Nicholson
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-in-order
6/10
Martijn Van
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Man! I love me some more young Han Solo. Nice little adition to his years prior to the solo movie. I hope they will continue the movie's storie in comic.
Robb
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a fun glimpse into Han Solo's brief stint in the Imperial Academy. Don't expect too much, and you'll enjoy yourself.
Andrew Franks
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Petty much takes place between act one and two of the Solo Star Wars film. If you liked the movie, you’ll like this. It just shows you some of the time Han spent at the Imperial academy.
Scott
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nifty companion piece to a nifty film.
Nicolas
Jun 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
Drab, colorless and completely lacking charm.

For more negatively, tune in to our discussion on this episode of the All the Books Show: https://soundcloud.com/allthebooks/ep...
Josiah
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
The empire is a meat grinder. This series shows that and further makes one question how they gain any recruits at all.
James Lawner
May 27, 2019
Christopher
Jul 08, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Star Wars: Miniseries (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Star Wars: Princess Leia