Start by marking “Together We Caught Fire” as Want to Read:
Together We Caught Fire

Together We Caught Fire

A forbidden attraction grows even more complicated when the guy Lane Jamison has crushed on for years suddenly becomes her step-brother in this sexy and gorgeously written debut novel about the lines between love, desire, and obsession.

What happens when the boy you want most becomes the one person you can’t have?

Lane Jamison's life is turned upside down the week before her
Published February 11th 2020 by Simon Pulse (first published February 4th 2020)

Start your review of Together We Caught Fire
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
pages: 367
Expected publication: February 11th 2020

Fantastic storytelling!

This book had a ton of angst, so much it was almost painful. Despite all the angst I still liked it. The characters are well thought out and the places are described beautifully. The book is about a girl named Lane Jamison, who just turned eighteen at the end of the summer before her senior year. Lane’s mother killed herself by slitting her wrists in the bathroom when Lane was five years old. Her Dad recently got married
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Holy hell. That was easily one of the best YA contemporaries I've read in a LONG time and I'm so amazed that this is Gibson's debut. I can't wait to see what she writes next! I'll have a full review for this one up soon, but trust me when I say that you absolutely need it as long as you can handle the extensive TW list (in spoiler tags below, mostly borrowed from the author's TW list at the beginning of the book).

Content warnings: (view spoiler)
Jennifer Moffett
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roaring20s
High school senior, Lane Jamison, lives with her longtime secret crush … who happens to be her brand new stepbrother … aaaand also her best friend’s boyfriend/possible (if God-fearing Sadie has her way) future fiancé. And then there’s Sadie’s older brother, Connor, a mysterious artist with whom Lane shares so many interests.

(It’s complicated. Like really complicated.)

Emotionally unavailable and perpetually conflicted, Lane does her best to maneuver through awkward family and friend-circle
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, SimonTeen, for an honest review.

“How many nights would I lie awake, listening through the thin wall of my bedroom for the sleep-jagged edge of his breath? This boy, so long unreachable-the core of everything I’d wanted, mangled and reassembled into a cosmic joke.”

description

I have always gravitated towards books that will punch a hole through my gut and make my heart feel like its weeping. A book that forgoes dancing around truths by ripping back the
Liz Lawson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness this book. I had been looking forward to reading it for MONTHS, and it did not disappoint. It's sexy, dark, romantic, painful - everything that I was hoping it would be.

Lane is in love with a boy. But not just any boy -- the son of the woman who her father has just married. That's right, her step-brother. She's been in love with him for years, and now is thrust into an incredibly confusing situation where she has to deal with her feelings for him while he's literally under the
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review + more can be found at The Book Bratz

Thank you so much Simon Teen for sending me an ARC of TOGETHER WE CAUGHT FIRE to read and review!

***Trigger Warnings: Mentions of suicide, graphic flashbacks of suicide, drug overdose, death & self harm***

How do you put into words how much a book impacted you, how beautifully it is written and how days later you are still thinking about it, all with out sounding stupid because there are still tears in your eyes from all the feelings
Ron
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is as emotionally raw, brutal, and beautiful as they come. The prose is to die for, the characters are stunningly rendered, the issues are timely, dark, and deeply important, and the story will stick with you long after you read the last page.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

There is, blissfully, a content warning given at the start of the book. I will include it in my review, verbatum from the unfinished advanced copy, for your trigger warning needs:
This story contains content that might be troubling to some readers, including, but not limited to, depictions of and references to death, suicide, cutting and self-harm, vivid nightmare imagery, substance
Madi ~☆TheBookNerdDiaries☆~
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-owned
RTC soon!
2.5/ 5 stars

Together We Caught Fire is a mature Young Adult novel.

The narrator is 18 year old high school senior Elaine/Lane (1st person POV).

The beginning of the book was extremely odd to me. And I had a bit of a hard time figuring out what was happening. However, after that the book was a lot easier to follow.

The main characters are Lane, Grey, Sadie and Connor. Sadie and Connor are brother and sister. Also Lane's father and Grey's mother recently got married.

Lane has a lot of problems/issues.
Jill Corddry
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who's ever had a forbidden crush (even if that crush didn't become your step-sibling)...

The writing is lush, each word carefully crafted to summon maximum emotion, from humor to gut-wrenching sorrow. Eva creates characters you want to know personally, to hang out with, to hug when times are tough, characters you'll miss when you finish the book.

This was one of the few novels I've read recently that I couldn't put down once I started it, and yet I hesitated over finishing it because I
Katie
I! AM! TOTALLY! IN! LOVE! WITH! THIS! BOOK! There are so many little things that make this book different from any other YA contemp. you've ever read, and trust me, you'll fall in love too.

I mean, before the book even begins, we get trigger warnings. There've been a LOT of discussion in the Twitterverse lately about why books should have trigger warnings, but this is the first where I've actually seen them in print.

Please note that it is NOT up to authors whether or not these are included. Most
Stephanie
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

I was in the mood for a little angst and, oh boy, did I get that with Together We Caught Fire.

The story ended up being a little different than I thought it would be, based on the synopsis. There was still angst for days, but it wasn’t all romantic, love-triangle stuff. Lane is a complete mess and had issues in every single aspect of her life, mostly stemming from discovering her mother’s suicide when she was five years
Shannon
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, death-and-grief
This book is like if Girl, Interrupted, Flowers in the Attic, and the emotion/Southern flair of Jeff Zentner all had a YA romance baby. Idk about you, but I am 100% here for that.

Full disclosure: I worked just a little bit on this book as an early reader as part of my job (the book has changed a lot since then) and am still friendly with the author. That said, there were lots of authors I worked with during that time and Eva was a true standout for me. Her writing is beautifully lush and
Lacey
I want to thank NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for allowing me the opportunity to read this book before publication. I highly enjoyed it! I was expecting this to be just a teen romance, but it turned out to be so much more. It covered the full spectrum of mental illness and childhood trauma that can follow into adulthood. It was a coming of age story as well. Some reviews I read noted that the relationship dynamics between Lane and Grey were unrealistic, but I have to strongly disagree. ...more
Nora Carpenter
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Together We Caught Fire is just as sexy as the title implies, but it also takes the readers through all the emotions and into dark, vulnerable places.

The wonderful premise is a bit of a teen’s worse nightmare—the boy Lane has been in love with for years (who also happens to be the boyfriend of Lane’s best friend, Sadie) suddenly becomes Lane’s stepbrother, inhabiting the bedroom just on the other side of the wall. As Lane tries to navigate this new arrangement, the tragic past she’s trying to
Elizabeth Mcdermott
Celia McMahon
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some spoilers. Read at your own risk. Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher.

Also, my Grammarly account is on hold so tough out the grammatical mistakes I am too lazy to fix.

When I first read the synopsis for this book I said to myself, this sounds like some weirdo dreams I used to have when I had a crush on Joshua Goodwin back in elementary school. I seriously imagined my mother divorcing my dad and marrying Josh's father (where his mother went, I don't know. Dead maybe. I was a weird kid)
Cyndi Becker
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*****5 ++++ Stars #MustReadRecomendation*****

"It wasn’t a kiss so much as an ignition— the sun lost behind the moon, the white-hot melt of flame and silver. It was the world flipped sideways, tilting us into chaos."

Together We Caught Fire is one of the most wonderfully surprising reads that I've experienced in a long while. The writing is EXQUISITE, the characters so perfectly imperfect. With a plot well thought out and executed, Eva Gibson delivers a story that demands your all and left me with
Dri Richardson
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full Review Here: https://areadingwren.blogspot.com/202...

What the dust jacket wants you to think this book is about:
Lane is a high-school senior with some issues, the biggest of which being that she's been pining after Greyson McIntyre since just about forever. Okay, so it's a little more complicated than "girl likes boy". It's more like "girl likes boy, boy becomes stepbrother, we're all horny teenagers, fuck this sucks (but not literally, because pining)". Oh wait, there's more! Greyson's
Danielle Zimmerman
It’s hard to believe TOGETHER WE CAUGHT FIRE is a debut novel. Equally affecting and enthralling, this YA novel tackles a lot of topics at once but without ever feeling contrived or overloaded. Though the novel dives into teenagers homelessness, drug abuse, trauma resulting from witnessing a suicide, sexuality, and complicated feelings between step siblings, it does so in equal and steady measure.

It’s a dark romantic novel, but moreso in the classic way in that its rich and luxurious language
Shelley
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
*4.5 Stars

What a great way to start off my reading for 2020! Together We Caught Fire may be Eva V. Gibson’s debut novel, but it certainly didn’t feel that way. This book has exquisite writing, depth, and a story that made me feel a plethora of emotions.

This is a forbidden romance, however, this novel is so much more than that. The characters were so well developed, and I was immediately pulled in and invested in their lives. They all had their own issues that they were trying to deal with, which
Sunny Shelly Reads
This book did not go the way I was expecting based on the blurb. I was expecting a stepbrother romance between Land and Grey, but that's not at all what this story is about. It's super-angsty, but the main romance ends up between Lane and Grey's girlfriend's brother, Connor.

There is a lot of family drama in this book, and it was hard to keep track of it all at points. While I thought the mental health and reproductive health (Lane has endometriosis) elements were interesting and handled well
Kaitlyn
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work
personally not my cup of tea since the plot wasn't the most inviting to me but i can see why other reviewers rated it highly. lots of stuff on mental health since the lead has been through a lot of shit but i am not a big fan of any of the characters. i don't usually read ya contemps though so i don't think i was the intended audience, though i do see how some people will enjoy this and how some wouldn't.

trigger warning for mentions of self-harm and some insensitive jokes but nothing too
Jenna Monaco
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This honestly went much deeper into mental health than I’d expected and I was here for it. Read it in a day, beautiful writing.
 Lori (Ficwishes)
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok. This one is a no for me. I was so completely lost in the beginning. I still can’t figure out exactly what was going on because the writing confuses me so. This author loves her metaphors and incomplete sentences. One of my least favorite was:

“Smashed her son alongside her, staining my world in Grey.”

Also, “Beautiful and gentle, wild-eyed and mad.”

Those are actual “sentences” in this book. It’s filled to the brim with sentences that have implied (you) or implied (I) as the subject. The
Patricia Rohrs (words we love by blog)
An emotionally gripping story from start to finish! I don’t think I have ever felt so many emotions as I did with this novel! This story was so beautifully crafted I could feel each raw open wound and when Lane hurt I hurt along with her! Lanes journey was a rough one but seeing her grow and experiencing her pain turn into hope made my heart soar!

There’s so much to be said about a book that takes on tough topics and yet I don’t want it to ruin the experience of the journey! There’s so much
Britney Dillon
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, moody, life, sad, arc
***I received an eARC of this book courtesy of Simon & Schuster via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!***

Oh, my heart. This was a tough one, guys.

OK, so there are some triggers in this book, and the author clearly states them up front in an author's note. So if you're going to pick this up, know that info going in. And then hang on, because what follows is a crazy emotional roller coaster.

I'm not going to recap the plot here, because you can read the blurb. Instead, I'm
Matthea
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this novel a way back from NetGalley. I uploaded a review on there but forgot to on here. I have decided to reread this novel so its fresh in my mind.

Due to my noisy neighbours talking outside my window all night, I decided to put my insomnia to use and reread this novel. I first skimmed through it for Netgalley to get my review in on time, but damn. I'm not sure if it was because I was reading this novel at 3 am and my emotions were elevated or what, but this novel made me cry so
Emily Leyland
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-arcs
Lane Jamison's lifelong crush - Grey McIntyre - just became her stepbrother. She can't seem to repress her feelings for him despite this new familial connection and his girlfriend who is always around professing their intention to be together forever. For better or worse, Lane, Grey, his girlfriend Sadie, and her brother Connor become fast friends. They party together, fight together, and when Grey is wrapped up in Sadie, Lane turns to Connor for a bit of distraction. His honesty suites her and ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Echoes Between Us
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • What I Like About You
  • Layoverland
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Lucky Caller
  • Chasing Lucky
  • Don't Read the Comments
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • How to Build a Heart
  • The Stars We Steal
Eva V. Gibson grew up on the east coast of Florida. She graduated with degrees in journalism and English, then spent her post-college years immersed in Asheville’s art and music scene. She now lives the small-town life with her family, dividing her spare time between crochet projects, hiking, sporadic yoga practice, and an ever-growing stack of books she will definitely finish reading someday.