Jump to ratings and reviews

Backroads #2

The Road Home

My life was a dream...

Sold-out concerts, number one hits, and a different city every night...

I’d been coined America’s sweetheart and learned to live by the rules. That was until I met him.

Two years ago I practically threw myself at Charlie Higgins, my mom’s newest ranch hand.

With one kiss he took my breath away, but before it went any further, he turned me away telling me to forget about him.

I took my bruised heart back to Nashville and did what country singers do best: I wrote a song about it. I just never expected it to be a number one hit.

Now I'm back for my cousin's wedding. And Charlie isn't as in love with the song as the rest of the world.

But the way he's looking at me makes me think maybe there's a chance…this time he won’t tell me to go.

As long as the secret I’m keeping doesn’t scare him away.

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jane Ashley Converse

3 books60 followers
I'm a bighearted, crazy-eyed, sarcastic book lover.
A daydreamer, night writer, adventure seeking Midwest woman.
When I'm not outdoors enjoying what nature offers, I'm curled up on the couch writing or reading.
Don't let my love for the outdoors fool you though, keeping my nails looking sharp is very big on my priority list.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (4%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews
Profile Image for Cassidy.
615 reviews61 followers
April 9, 2019
The Road Home has a little bit everything. It’s a very sexy, second chance romance with a dash of mystery thrown in. It was a pretty easy read. It can be read as a stand-alone. There are characters from Backroads. I would recommend reading it as well. This book sets things up for many books to come. I really look forward to more.

I voluntarily read an early copy.
Profile Image for Nerdy Dirty & Flirty.
3,985 reviews316 followers
May 6, 2019
-Kacie, ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Charlie and Alexis spent one day together two years ago. Alexis is a country superstar and for once she had the opportunity to be herself. Charlie didn’t know anything about Alexis, except that she was the boss's daughter. He didn’t think he was good enough for her and made her go. They both spent the years living on the memory of that one day spent together. Until Alexis came back to be in her cousin's wedding. They both decided staying away from each other was best but their chemistry and draw to each other made it impossible.

I loved Alexis and Charlie together. I felt like they complemented each other perfectly. Alexis is a star but she’s content with a lazy night on the farm. Charlie is as laid back as they come but he knows life isn’t about things so much as treasuring the people in your life. I loved the relationship Alexis had with her mother and cousin, they had an extra special bond.

I fell in love with Jane Ashley Converse’s writing in Backroads and this book just reaffirmed why. Her words weave a story that I could hardly put down. There is romance but mystery and intrigue. The Road Home is a perfect continuation of Backroads. We get more information about Chase and Holly, we get to see the reality of motherhood/parenthood.

I cannot wait to see what story she comes up with next. I know whatever it is will be absolutely fantastic.
April 8, 2019
Cowboys, rock stars, and weddings - some of my favorite things.

Alexis and Charlie have a history. One that has haunted both of them for years. It was easy to live with it when they weren't forced to see each other. However, that will soon change. They are thrown back together and the chemistry is intense. Alexis can't resist Charlie but he doesn't believe he is good enough for her.

Reading their interactions and watching Alexis and Charlie grow together creates an amazing page-turner. They know it won't be easy but they both can't imagine not having each other at all.

I loved returning to the ranch, bed and breakfast, and many of the characters that I fell in love with when I read Backroads last year! Another great book from Ms. Converse!

Reviewed by: Brianne M.
Profile Image for Brianne Maffett.
191 reviews5 followers
April 8, 2019
Cowboys, rock stars, and weddings - some of my favorite things.

Profile Image for Kate.
50 reviews4 followers
April 4, 2019
I was sucked right into this book from the beginning! Having already loved the characters from her first book, I had no doubt I would feel the same about Alexis and Charlie. I found that I didn’t want to put this book down. I look forward to more stories from this talented author!
Profile Image for Spunky N Sassy.
4,847 reviews101 followers
April 23, 2019
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Lindsey's ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Review~~~~~~~~~~

A Must Read

I was up all night when I was reading this book. I was hooked from the beginning and I couldn’t put it down. This book is a must read.
Profile Image for Tracy.
401 reviews15 followers
April 30, 2019
The Road Home was completely amazing! I loved Charlie's and Alexis's story. Their history was complicated , but the entire story had me captivated! Love is love, and it doesn't matter who you are or the circumstances. It just matters that they had each other. Such a beautiful story.
225 reviews
October 10, 2019
Love this book and what a perfect ending. Really hope Jane brings out a book about Beth and Lee.
October 10, 2020
Such a good read! I received an advanced reader’s copy, and I loved this book even more than Jane Ashley’s first book, Backroads! I especially liked that we still get a continuation of the characters from Backroads. I felt for Charlie when he didn’t think he was worth Alexis’ time. Definitely well written and worth a read! I can’t wait for the next one!
Profile Image for Nikki Epperson.
774 reviews7 followers
December 18, 2020
It's rare for me to like a second book more than the first, but here we are. I love when authors continue stories with characters we've already met and still give us more of them. I feel more satisfied having that extra time with my "old friends." I loved the first book, but seeing where those characters fit with the focus of a new story was soooo good! I very much look forward to the next book!
Profile Image for Brandy Roberts.
2,028 reviews46 followers
April 22, 2019
The Road home was such a good story and had my attention throughout the book couldn't put my kindle down even when I reached the end I needed more . I'm a sucker for a good second chance romance and this was one of the greats my heart really went out to the couple . The anticipation for Charlie and Alexis find their way back to one another was perfectly set . Chemistry between them was super intense just left me wanting them to jump each other already . This being the first book that I have had the pleasure of reading by the author just made me want to read more by Jane Ashley Converse and I so will have her books in my kindle .
I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book
****************************************
hero= 8 heroine=8 secondary characters= 8
Chemistry=9 steam=6 romance=7
humor=3 darkness level= 3 action= 2 mystery= 3
enjoyment= 9 angst= 3 story line= 9 Story ending=9
character development=10 pacing=10
cover= 10 Blurb =10 Stars = 4
Is this part of a series =yes
Can it be read as a standalone = yes
would I recommend this book=yes
would I re read this book= yes
would I read future books by this author= yes
Profile Image for Millennial Life Crisis Bookshelf.
1,120 reviews18 followers
April 1, 2019
This was my first Jane Ashley Converse read and after finishing it definitely won’t be my last! After a misunderstanding and just not knowing each other the first time they met, Alexis and Charlie see each other after two years apart, in which Alexis rose to fame based on a song she wrote about their meeting. While both are attracted to each other, Charlie holds back because he feels that he’s not worthy of Alexis in any capacity. When Alexis returns home for her cousin’s wedding, the two of them reconnect and they talk through things and decide to give a relationship a go. In addition to the romance aspect of the story, there is also an aspect of suspense through the trouble happening on Alexis’ mother’s ranch. When the trouble leaks into Alexis’ career and escalates, it turns out trouble has something to do with their relationship and they fight for their relationship and the ranch. I really enjoyed this story and I wish I‘d have read the first story in the series first to better understand! I will definitely be going back to read book 1 and can’t wait for book 3!
I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book.
Profile Image for Brandi Duncan.
144 reviews17 followers
April 6, 2019
I didn't think it was possible to like this book more than Backroads but I totally did. I love both books but I think this is my favorite. I absolutely love all the characters Jane has created. Charlie is everything a girl could ask for. He always put Alexis first even when they first met and he thought she deserved better. Alexis was so down to earth and I think if she was a real person I would love to have her as a bestie. This whole story was amazing. And talk about sexy. Damn. I can not wait to see what is next for Jane Ashley Converse. I'm still blown away at how good these books were seeing as they were her first. I am so excited to see where she goes from here. If you haven't read these books I highly recommend it but definitely start with Backroads first. Thank you Jane for writing such an amazing story you can get lost in.
Profile Image for Donna.
677 reviews5 followers
April 20, 2019
This was my first Jane Ashley book and it wasn't bad. I thought it was a little slow in the beginning and finally picked up toward the end. It was also a long book by most standards and I thought it wasn't gonna end. But I'm glad I stuck it out and read the whole book.
This is a sweet story of Alexis, a virgin who is a country singer star and Charlie who is a ranch hand working for her Mom who feels he isn't worthy or good enough for her. They have known each other for 2 yrs but didn't have the guts to really get to know each other and that was ok until they were forced to be around each other the 2 yrs later and realized they liked each other and that's what you see grow through out the book. There are some things happening around the ranch, to Alexis and also to Charlie that could break them apart or bring them closer together. You'll have to read the book to find out what.
All in all it's a good read, just a little slow to start.
Profile Image for Kathy Rouchelle .
969 reviews11 followers
April 17, 2019
Incredibly sweet second chance at love story that brings a Country Darlin together with the ranch hand that works for her mother. The met once two years ago and were left with a kiss that has been etched in their memory ever since. He didn't know who she was until her mother tells Charlie that she is Alexis Hale. He liked her, he liked Alex as she had introduced herself to him. But now, as it was then, he still believes that he has nothing to offer her, he is a nobody and his past has him fearing that he may become the man that his father was. But Alexis likes him, she only hopes that she can get him to SEE HER, not the country singer. After two years gone, she is back for her cousin's wedding..and she will be walking with Charlie. Let the nerves begin!

These characters are so very well written and will have you either laughing at their antics or shaking your head at their stubbornness. Each of the characters are charming, supporting and so loveable that you wish you really knew them.

I loved this story, this book and I highly recommend it to everyone.
Profile Image for Wendy Livingstone.
13.4k reviews118 followers
April 21, 2019
This is the second book in this awesome series, and carries straight on from where “Backroads” ended. I loved Charlie and Alexis and the witty banter between them. This is a well written story which is filled with fun, suspense, mystery, intrigue and love which all lead to an all round entertaining read. I was hooked from the very beginning through this addictive page turner, and cannot wait to read more from this talented author, whose work I highly recommend for all second chance romance lovers.
Profile Image for Kara Coens.
727 reviews2 followers
April 21, 2019
This was my first time reading Jane Ashley Converse and I loved her writing! We meet Alexis and Charlie, who have an instant attraction, after spending an incredible day together on the farm, they are separated for 2 long years. I loved how they were reunited and I loved how neither one of them could deny the attraction. It was a perfectly sweet burn of passion and lust. The twists had me flipping to see what would happen next. I just plain and simple loved everything about this story and I can't wait to see what else happens out on this ranch!!
Profile Image for Amber Gragg.
100 reviews2 followers
April 22, 2019
Gahhhh this series!!! This second book is so long and fabulous, its got some twist and turns that you don’t expect!! It sucks you in and leaves like awww, wow, happy, smiling, and even a happy tear or 3!!!
Profile Image for We Like them Dark Book Blog.
790 reviews87 followers
April 18, 2019
This was definitely a low level angst, quick read for me. It was a well written second chance romance, with some witty and humorous characters that really made them seem all the more genuine. I enjoyed this author’s writing style, and you really couldn’t tell it was part of a series-I was able to pick it up as a stand-alone. There was a bit of mystery in this story as well, which made it exciting and made me want to finish the story even faster.
Profile Image for Angela Hankinson.
102 reviews2 followers
April 18, 2019
This was my first Book by this author and I have to say I absolutely loved Charlie and Alexis this book was very well written and will definitely be recommending it to all my book loving friends . I really enjoyed this story and I will definitely be reading all other books by this author.
Thank you Jane for writing such a wonderful book
Profile Image for Megan Watson.
38 reviews2 followers
April 20, 2019
I absolutely loved The Road Home. I laughed and cried and just felt all the feels! And Charlie...Oh Charlie! He is so sweet and caring. This book was a definite page turner for me. I loved the characters and their dynamic. Now I need to find my own ranch hand...
Profile Image for Emily Budahl.
37 reviews5 followers
May 14, 2019
Even better than the first book - loved it and can't wait for the next!
Profile Image for Jennifer Pierson.
10.9k reviews130 followers
April 26, 2019
Jane Ashley Converse is really making name for herself quickly with this Backroads series, and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE her cowboys to death! The Road Home was an amazing story that I couldn't put down after I picked it up, so I'm giving fair warning not to start it right before bed. It's funny how misunderstandings can play havoc on peoples lives, but luckily, fate can fix that as she just won't be denied, which brought Alexis home where she came face to face with Charlie after a couple of years. So they talk & decide to give it another try, and that's all that I'm giving away. They definitely had the super hot chemistry, and who doesn't love that whole second chance at love situation?! But my favorite part was the suspenseful undertones when a mystery came out to play. See, it provided some serious f-bomb worthy twists that I just get so excited over. I will say this, while it seems like this could be read as a standalone, I do recommend you read the first book, Backroads first to get the lay of the land! Anyway, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Road Home to ALL!
Profile Image for Christine Woinich.
2,083 reviews14 followers
April 26, 2019
After a brief moment in time, this was a second chance to understand what they meant to each other. Alexis had fame. Charlie had a dark past. With an opportunity to find love beyond those things, they took a chance. The chemistry was great between them, and I loved how everyone around was also involved and accepting. With a few bumps along the way, the journey was interesting, and I enjoyed the story.

I received a copy of this story through Enticing Journey Book Promotions, and this is my unsolicited review.
October 7, 2019
You need to read this!

I loved The Road Home. I loved the second chance for Alexis and Charlie. You get to catch up with the characters from Backroads. I can't wait for the third book.
Profile Image for Annette.
141 reviews1 follower
January 8, 2023
Hot cowboy & singer rule

Pretty happy Jane wrote Alexis and Charlie's story. We got a hint of Charlie's love life in the first book. These were both standalone but it makes each story sweeter. This is mostly a romance with a little of a mystery blended in.
The story also starts to round out some of our side characters. I have to admit that I bought these after seeing Jane's hot photography skills and wanted to know if her creativity went into her writing. It does. Now we need the next couple or two to get their story!
Profile Image for Kari Williams.
660 reviews2 followers
July 1, 2020
Fantastic!

I couldn’t get enough of this story! I have no idea how old this book is, but I hope it’s been a while and Beths story is coming really soon. It’s really hard to believe this author is new. I’ll be hooked on this series as long as she wants to write them. Crystal and Emily have to be next! Well, after Beth that is. Lol
Profile Image for Yuliya Andresyuk.
64 reviews1 follower
January 16, 2020
Can 1 person please explain to me how this book got such good reviews? Honestly, I am stumped. This was soooooo cringe-worthy, so predictable, so cheesy to the point of making you nauseous. I could not read it, I ended up barely skimming it and even I just could not stop rolling my eyes.
Profile Image for zen_s.
1,613 reviews18 followers
June 1, 2019
[1.5 star] book was okay in the first half, however the second half started to get lengthy and i was about to fall asleep waiting for the author to reveal the culprit.
Profile Image for Sascha.
Author 5 books20 followers
DNF
I wasn't engaged by the "telling but no showing" writing.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.