Start by marking “Trafalgar: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sea Battle in History” as Want to Read:
Trafalgar: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sea Battle in History

Trafalgar: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sea Battle in History

A brilliant, page-turning account of the most famous sea fight in history.

Beginning with a vivid recreation of Napoleon's army assembling at Boulogne for the invasion of England, Nicholas Best tells how the French fleet joined with their Spanish allies and set out for a decisive battle with the Royal Navy.

Following events through the eyes of eyewitnesses on the gun deck
Published October 9th 2018 by Thistle Publishing (first published March 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Trafalgar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trafalgar

Maureen
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
* My thanks to David Haviland at Thistle Publishing for inviting me to read Trafalgar. I have given an honest unbiased review in exchange *

The most important sea battle of the 19th century, The Battle of Trafalgar, was a naval engagement fought by the British Royal Navy against the combined fleets of the French and Spanish Navies, during the War of the Third Coalition of the Napoleonic Wars.

Nicholas Best presents an excellent account of this most famous battle, highlighting the events that led
Noah Goats
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I was a teenager my dad gave me one of the Hornblower novels. I loved it and immediately tore through the whole series. I lived in the desert about 800 miles away from the nearest ocean, but these books connected with me in a big way and I’ve been reading about the era of wooden ships ever since.

Trafalgar is a well written and exciting work of history. Nicholas Best does a great job of explaining what was at stake (everything), describing the relative strengths and weaknesses of both sides
Jeanette
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Napoleon era is a period in history that i know very little about, so had no hesitation in accepting an invite to read it. What a wonderful and interesting read it was, and it certainly had me gripped from start to finish. A well deserved five stars. Highly recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy and this is my honest review.
Elizabeth
Title : Trafalgar
Author: Nicholas Best
Genre: History -Nonfiction
Thristle Publishing
Pages:346
Type of book: Netgalley
Book synopsis

Following events through the eyes of eyewitnesses on the gun deck as well as the admiral's cabins, he takes us to the Mediterranean and t
Constantine
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.0/5.0

Although this is non-fiction the book reads like historical fiction. The writing is so easy to read, grasp and written in an intriguing and very interesting way. Reading about Napoleon Bonaparte and the greatest historical Battle of Trafalgar in 1805 was a great experience especially since I have not covered these subjects before.

We get to read about what the witnesses say who lived in that era and experienced all the events that lead to the battle and during it. I really liked t
Stephen Bentley
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How often can a reader say a non-fiction book was a real page-turner? This book was.

The “untold” owes much to the author’s approach and methodology. The bibliography in the end matter reveals his source materials. It contains an extensive list of books and papers dealing with the battle, Nelson himself, or Napoleon Bonaparte.

Mr. Best has extrapolated some wonderful stories from those sources and put them together in a most readable book.

This book not only details one of the most famous naval enc
Ramon Sunico
After just finishing the Horatio Hornblower series (and Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin roman fleuve before that), it was high time I read up on the history behind these two cycles set in Napoleon's time. And so, when I stumbled upon Nicholas Best's Trafalgar in my late father-in-law's library on my mother's birthday, I followed the lead of all the superstitious sailors I had read about, took the happenstance as a happy chance and brought the book home.

As the blurbs promised, it was a riveting
Bonnye Reed
GA I had considered myself fairly knowledgeable about these battles between France and Britain and the dastardly deeds of Napoleon but this history by Nicholas Best sure filled in a LOT of blanks. There seems to have been a slight learning curve between history as seen in 1960/1970 era and that available today.

Trafalgar: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sea Battle in History brings to vivid detail those battles between the considered well prepared troops of France and the not so well trained Br
J. F.
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Trafalgar: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sea Battle in History by Nicholas Best

"The coast of Spain was a dark mess in the distance, the sun just beginning to reveal itself over a low range of hills that the Moors had named Tarif-al-Ghar." - Nicolas Best

Thus commenced the depiction of Trafalgar, one of the greatest victories of the British Royal Navy which saved Britain from invasion by Napoleon.

It was in this sea battle at Cape Trafalgar, Spain on October 21, 1805, that Lord Nel
Breakaway Reviewers
Gripping description of Trafalgar with all five senses!

This non-fiction can be the documentary without the television cameras but quills and papers. Many tales were written by the witnesses of the threat of invading Britain by Napoleon Bonaparte and the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

Those witnesses were Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson and Collingwood of the Royal Navy, French admirals, seamen and soldiers of both sides, Lady Emma Hamilton, Prime Minister William Pitt and the ordinary people from all o
Zeb Kantrowitz
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-read
What makes this book so easy to read is that the author has not only put in details that have to do with many of the minor parties and groups, that will later on makes what happens at Trafalgar much easier to understand. Best starts with the army that Napoleon has congregated on the Pas de Calais (over one hundred thousand) readying to invade Britain.

From this point he discusses how Napoleon thought he could design a sea invasion the same way he did a land invasion. This misunderstanding was to
Sreevarsha Sreejith
The events are described to perfection without going over the top with details but at the same time conveying the emotional intricacies very well. The language is simple, seamless and gripping, with everything correlated wonderfully. The author has succeeded in making history fun to read for laymen such as myself. My verdict for this book is, informative, fascinating and well worth a read !

For a more detailed review, please visit https://sreevarshasreejith.blogspot.c....
Craig Pearson
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This reads like a historical novel. The characters are well defined and the action is paced and descriptive. Most people who are familiar with the Battle of Trafagar are unaware of its position in the greater context of Napoleon's desire to invade England. The parallels between Napaleon and Hitler are astounding. This book is much more than just a description of the events and tactics used at Trafalgar. Many individuals on both sides contribute and are intriguingly developed by the author. Horat ...more
Lindsay
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A fascinating insight into the story of the battle of Trafalgar. This book is a gripping page turner for any history buff.
Thomas West
Theodore F Vaida
Mar 27, 2019
Evan
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This paging-turning historical fiction novel, thrust into the Battle of Trafalgar. With each page, we dive deeper into the battle, which keeps you on the edge of your seat. The book explores the tactics taken in battle as well as gives a great description of the events that took place at Trafalgar. I enjoyed how well the characters were developed. Overall, I think this book is a must read!
Matthew Graneri
Megan Fowler
Jun 24, 2012
PETER MICHAEL
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The intriguing story of the build-up to the Battle of Trafalgar, the dreadful bloody battle itself and the immediate political and military aftermath.
The author, Nicholas Best, captures the reader’s attention from the very start of the book. He has an easy reading style, quite unusual for a military historian. I really enjoy his attention to detail that draws the reader ever deeper into the story, very much like being a willing participant in the final battle.
I was previously unaware of the adva
Darren
Sep 03, 2012
Around the Year i...: Trafalgar, by Nicholas Best 1 6 Jan 20, 2019 04:33PM
Nicholas Best grew up in Kenya and was educated there, in England and at Trinity College, Dublin. He served in the Grenadier Guards and worked as a journalist in London before becoming a full time author.
His first novel ('As a satire on military bigotry and shambling officialdom, Where were you at Waterloo? is in places as sharp as Waugh and sometimes better' - Times Literary Supplement) was wri