Start by marking “The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)

The Tea Dragon Festival

(Tea Dragon #2)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  17,105 ratings  ·  3,421 reviews
Rinn has grown up with the Tea Dragons that inhabit their village, but stumbling across a real dragon turns out to be a different matter entirely! Aedhan is a young dragon who was appointed to protect the village but fell asleep in the forest eighty years ago. With the aid of Rinn’s adventuring uncle Erik and his partner Hesekiel, they investigate the mystery of his enchan ...more
Published September 17th 2019 by Oni Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tea Dragon Festival, please sign up.
Northern Aquila You can buy the book online and get it shipped to your house, or you could go to your local bookstore and buy it. But if you don't want the psychical …moreYou can buy the book online and get it shipped to your house, or you could go to your local bookstore and buy it. But if you don't want the psychical book, then you could get it on kindle. (less)
Alissa I believe the Nov 30, 2021 refers to the paperback publication date. It's still available. Not out of print.…moreI believe the Nov 30, 2021 refers to the paperback publication date. It's still available. Not out of print.(less)

·  17,105 ratings  ·  3,421 reviews

Start your review of The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
Melanie
ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“Just because something comes easily to you, does not mean it has no value. You find it effortless because you love it, and that is why it is your gift.”

Most of you know, that I fell head over heels in love with The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O’Neill last year, so when I got my hands on an ARC of this, I knew I had no option but to read it and fall in love with it immediately. And, dear reader, that is exactly what happen
chloe
This was just as beautiful, whimsical, diverse & cute as The Tea Dragon Society. This made me feel so happy & cosy.

I got an ARC of this from Oni Press at BookExpo. It comes out September 17th!
Brittany
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite thing 😭 Katie O’Neill just has a lovely way of making everyone feel special and not just in that ‘you’re you and there’s no one like you’ cliche way but in the ‘you should be proud of you’ kind of way and it may seem like a small difference but it really makes it all the more better
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Absolutely adorable. Katie O'Neill can do no wrong in my eyes. ...more
Whitney Atkinson
Thanks to Oni Press for the advanced review copy!

Katie O'Neill can do no wrong. This book was so stinking cute from the art style to the positivity to the inclusivity and the dragons. I think I enjoyed it better than book one. This world is so magical and transporting and uplifting, and I love how people of different genders and sexualities and disabilities are seamlessly folded in. There were certain panels in this book that spoke to me so much as an adult even though this is written for childr
Gavin Hetherington
Jan 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely stunning follow-up to The Tea Dragon Society that adds another level of depth to this gorgeous world. I really love the atmosphere and vibe this one gives, and just how much whimsy it embodies with every illustration.

Since the author came out as non-binary and now goes by the name Kay, the fact that the main character in this is non-binary is beautiful. There's a moment when they ask if dragons can change their gender and that just hit me. So wonderful, through and through. Not a
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Just because something comes easily to you, does not mean it has no value. You find it effortless because you love it, and that is why it is your gift."

A stunning addition to my favourite graphic novel series of all time. It's worth the read for the art alone. It's absolutely S T U N N I N G ✨

The story itself is so beautiful and heartwarming with effortlessly diverse characters. The main character uses they/them pronouns, sign language is used within the story, there's a m/m side romance an
daph pink ♡
I live for this representation and cute illustrations..
Toni
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and charming. This is my first book by Katie O'Neill, but now I would really like to try to find her previous work, which I'm sure is going to be fantastic.
Thank you to NetGalley and Oni Press for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
s.penkevich
Jan 16, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic_novel, fantasy
Whatever I do from now on will be lovelier and richer, because I understand what's important now.

The cozy and adorable world of the Tea Dragon’s returns in The Tea Dragon Festival from author/illustrator Katie O’Neil. This follow-up book is a prequel of sorts, set earlier than The Tea Dragon Society and I dare say it might even be better. There is more in-depth world building while also getting to revisit some favorite characters, such as a younger Erik and Hesekiel still on their adventures a
Dave Schaafsma
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
More adorableness and heart-warming Tea Dragon Society world from Katie O’Neill in New Zealand, which I have yet to visit but I know must be full of magic and natural beauty. Oh, I know about that mosque massacre, but O’Neill creates an almost aggressively peace-loving antidote to hate that is less (again) about narrative and more about world-building principles for living in love and harmony. And tea, yep, expect a companion volume soon of tea dragon teas (from he antlers of the dragons, duh!). ...more
destiny ♡ howling libraries
I’ve loved everything I’ve read from Katie O’Neill so far, and this was, of course, no exception. It was so lovely to return to the world of the tea dragons, and I can’t even describe how pleased I was that, despite mostly following new characters, we get to spend a little more time with (much younger versions of) Erik and Hesekiel. ♥

This was every bit as precious as I thought it would be, and it added in something new: sign language! Some of the characters actually use a mixture of spoken word
aly ☆彡
Jul 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Just because something comes easily to you, does not mean it has no value. You find it effortless because you love it, and that is why it is your gift"

The Tea Dragon Festival is my favourite book out of the three. As expected, the illustration is to die for; the drawings were so vivid and beautiful it would make you want to be part of the story. The festival also looks joyous and homey, I felt escaped (from reality) just by reading about it.

We get to see Erik and Hesekiel, which a
human
LSKDJFLSJDSJDLFKJDASLDAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVED THIS ONE EVEN MORE THAN THE FIRST ONE.

This book was much better than its predecessor, in my opinion. The art was just as great as it was with the first book, and though there was less of an emphasis placed on the tea dragons, they were still just as cute.

What I really liked about this one was the way that the main character (and the story as a whole, really), was developed. There was a discernible plot that was moving the book forward, rathe
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪
I want to thank NetGalley for sending me and advanced digital copy of this book.

There is a small village, among the mountains, where people live a peaceful life, collecting food from the forest and taking care of the moody, naughty, wonderful tea dragons. What a surprise they'll have when, one day, they'll find a full-size dragon who's been asleep for 80 years and declares his duty to take care of the village and all its inhabitants!

This comic is a companion volume to the well-known and well-lo
Amy Imogene Reads
5 cute stars

This is one of the most precious, wholesome things that I've ever read and I will definitely be pulling this sweet graphic novel out again on a gloomy day.

Art: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★
Plot: ★★★★★

Following Katie O'Neill's smash hit The Tea Dragon Society, The Tea Dragon Festival expands on the world of tea dragons and the villagers who care for them in this sweet story that can be read as a standalone companion.

Rinn is an aspiring cook in her village. One day, while foraging for mushr
Carmen
"Just because something comes easily to you, does not mean it has no value. You find it effortless BECAUSE you love it, and that is why it is your gift." pg. 82

Once more we return to the cute and cozy world of tea dragons! These small domesticated pets are a lot of work but provide tea and memories to people.

If you own a 'toy' dog you might get more out of this book than non-toy-dog owners. The tea dragons are quite similar to toy-breed dogs.

O'Neill is famous for her LGBTQIA+ characters and this
Steph
like the first tea dragon book, this is a gentle visual delight! the art is adorable and the colors are beautifully vibrant.

i wasn't expecting a new set of characters, but this is a prequel, rather than a sequel to the first book. we follow erik and hese, the sweet gay couple from the first book, as they visit a lush village where a dragon has recently awakened from a long slumber.

(SPOILERS) (view spoiler)
Calista
This book is better than the last, in my opinion. The world expands and we meet a real dragon in this story. She has a dragon form and a people form.

It's a sweet world and the tea dragon's remain saccharine cute. I wonder if this will have another sequel?

Great art and a soft, gentle story.
Julie Zantopoulos
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely precious graphic novel. Katie O’Neill just can’t go wrong with their messages and art-they’re both stunning.
Hamad
Jul 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 3.75 Stars

The author says that this is a gentle fantasy book for younger readers and I agree with that, I can't review or rate it the same way I do with adult epic fantasy!
This was better than the first book because it was longer and there was a kind of a plot line.

The illustrations are great, the text is very clear so it was easy to read and I like that.
There are many kinds of representations which is good for younger readers!

Simply put, it was whimsical, fun and a fast read!
Jo (The Book Geek)
This is another beautiful installment from O'Neill, and I enjoyed it just as much as the first book. There appeared to be less attention on the tea dragons in this, but it was adorable in other ways.

The artwork, again was stunning, and I liked the direction the plot went without relying too much on the art to hold up the story.

The friendships that have developed are indeed heart-warming, and leave a kind of squidgy feeling in one's heart. (I know what I mean) I'm just a teeny bit saddened to lea
aphrodite
Sep 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I love this world so much. I need an animated show yesterday
Emma
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The ARC of this graphic novel was provided by the publisher Oni Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The Tea Dragon Festival
is a companion story to the beautiful The Tea Dragon Society and let me assure that this volume is as stunning as the first one. The colors are gorgeous and the illustrations are to die for. This story is set before the events of The Tea Dragon Society since we can see a much younger Hesekiel and Erik. I also loved the new characters that were introdu
Vicky Again
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think in a technical sense this was a superior story than the companion, THE TEA DRAGON SOCIETY, but I also loved how THE TEA DRAGON SOCIETY was more flowery. This was a little more plains-y mountain-y.

But also...it had the floofiest grumpy tea dragon ever and I love that dragon with 99% of my heart.
menna
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
oh to be a dragon with the ability to shift between dragon and human form so easily

book 1 of the reading rush: read a book completely outside of your house.
Hina ♡
Jul 16, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book was even better than the first one! What I loved the most was the inclusion of characters with different abilities and backgrounds. The inclusion of a deaf character as well as the character(s) that seemed to have different religions was awesome to see included in this book -- women wearing hijabs. I could read these graphic novels every day forever and never get tired of them.
Alexa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, so, so cute! Really enjoyed this prequel story. It just made my heart so happy to be back in this work again!
E.
★★★★★ | Colourful, lovely and heartwarming!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Honestly, every time I read a Katie O'Neill story I wish to have kids just to read it to them. And I'm not planning kids.

I love the Tea Dragon world and little Tea Dragons but in this one, we have Rinn, a brown non-binary person, finding an ACTUAL dragon while gathering wild herbs and vegetables in the forest. There are also some characters from the last story and Deaf representation (with the whole village being able to use sign language!).

The Tea
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
someone hold me 😭💕 i loved this way too much

rtc

• Cheer Up: Love and Pompoms
  • Cats: Nature and Nurture
  • Out to Get You: 13 Tales of Weirdness and Woe
  • The Love Letter
  • Sweet Valley High: Academic All-Star?
  • Extraordinary: A Story of an Ordinary Princess
  • Tales from Behind the Window
  • The Man Who Came Down the Attic Stairs
  • Spectacle Vol. 2
  • Fairy Tales for Fearless Girls
  • Sparrowhawk #1 (Sparrowhawk, #1)
  • Portrait of an Artist: Frida Kahlo: Discover the Artist Behind the Masterpieces
  • Sleepless, Vol. 2
  • Anastazja Tom 1
See top shelves…
Kay O'Neill is an illustrator and graphic novelist from New Zealand. They are the author of Princess Princess Ever After, The Tea Dragon Society, Aquicorn Cove, and more. They mostly make gentle fantasy stories for younger readers, and are very interested in tea, creatures, things that grow, and the magic of everyday life.

On an Instagram post 17th December 2020 the author shared that they use they

Tea Dragon (3 books)
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Want to encourage young readers to keep up their reading habits? Look no further than this year's buzziest YA and middle-grade graphic...
“Just because something comes easily to you, does not mean it has no value.

You find it effortless because you love it, and that is why it is your gift.”
61 likes
“... But sad people aren't objects to fix. Give them space and show them you'll still love them whenever they are ready to loved.” 12 likes