Start by marking “Hope and Other Punch Lines” as Want to Read:
Hope and Other Punch Lines

Hope and Other Punch Lines

The New York Times bestselling author of Tell Me Three Things and What to Say Next delivers a poignant and hopeful novel about resilience and reinvention, first love and lifelong friendship, the legacies of loss, and the stories we tell ourselves in order to survive.

Sometimes looking to the past helps you find your future.

Abbi Hope Goldstein is like every other teenager, w
Published May 7th 2019 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Hope and Other Punch Lines, please sign up.
Jessica Jeffers Only halfway through, but yes. Abbi mentions a fear of being the victim of anti-semitic harrassment and Noah mentions a bar mitzvah.

Julie
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Is it tacky to review your own novel? Probably! But alas I wrote this book, and it's the one that almost killed me, and took a whole year longer than it was supposed to, and I'm super ridiculously proud of it, so I'm giving myself FIVE STARS. I truly hope you like it too.
Arlene
#iamemotional

There are events in my life I’ll never forget... where I was, who I was with, what I felt. September 11, 2001 is one of those moments that has stayed with me... forever.

This novel takes me back to that time and adds a whole new layer to the story. Every character played an important role in this novel. Their stories mean everything to me.

This book will require some recovery on my part and will likely land on my top 5 this year. I’m sure.
Catherine McKenzie
Fantastic and life-affirming

Another fantastic YA read from Julie Buxbaum. She weaves a classic love story into the raw emotions of loss and life after 9/11. The subject is treated with sensitivity and - yes - humour. Because love and laughter is how we heal. I laughed and cried and I love this book.
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“We need the serious to recognize the funny, and the funny to give us even a shot in hell at surviving the serious.”

September 11, 2001 changed lives. Holes were created in communities, families, and hearts. But love, courage, and compassion can be found in times of great loss and pain too. The little moments—a helping hand up, a hug, a kind word, or even a laugh to break the tension--make a difference. Abbi and Noah reminded me that laughter can be found in and after our worst moments.

Abbi Hope
Kara Gemian
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic read.

As someone who has lived in Northern New Jersey all her life and remembers seeing papers floating in the sky on 9/11 after my Elementary school was evacuated to the field for a bomb threat, this book really meant a lot. I am lucky that I didn't know anyone personally that was lost that day and none of my close friends did either, but that of course does not take away from the tragedy.

This is the first book I have read regarding the subject and I honestly didn't know it
Kathleen Glasgow
This book is an exquisitely crafted look at public and private grief and what it means to grow up in the shadow of tragedy. Julie Buxbaum knows how to mix the sad with the funny in a brilliant, heart-melting way. Loved this so much.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
IT's a myth, this concept of a before and an after. Every time I see a perfect blue sky, want to know what I really think? I think there are only afters and after thats."
This story kinda snuck up on me. There was good character moments and surprisingly a lot of humorous dialogue, but I didn't really connect with it for a large part of the story. But the last 50 pages really elevated the story. I felt the emotional weight and really connected with the characters. There was a lot of happy reso
Andrea
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
4.5 Stars!

I’ve lived in California for over 20 years, but my New York roots run deep. I was born, raised and went to college in New York. On September 11, 2001, I experienced the horror from 3,000 miles away, but also intimately in the way you feel your past and community calling to you. Kids I went to high school with died that day, both in the towers and as dedicated first responders. I called home repeatedly in the days that followed, only to hear the suffocating news of those missing and not
Lauren
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic contemporary from Julie Buxbaum. This book manages to be light and sweet (and features an adorable romance), while also tackling some heavy subjects - grief, loss, illness, breaking up with friends - set 15 years beyond 9/11, in a town and with characters that still feel its impact in a raw and personal way.
Mary (BookHounds)
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, young-adult
I think everyone can remember where they were on September 11, 2001.  It is one of those dates that you will never forget as long as you live. For Abbi, it is more than that since she became an internet meme that day as "Baby Hope" and wishes that she didn't have to relive that day after day as people recognize her.  Noah's life was also broken that day but he has ulterior motives when he figures out who Abbi is when they both end up as counselors at summer camp.Abbi doesn't want to be "Baby Hop ...more
Rodoreads
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed, I cried my eyes out. Everything hurt for a while. And this book reminded me why I love Julie Buxbaum so much.
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Several novels have been written about September Eleventh. This is one of the better ones. Hope and Other Punchlines tells the story of a teenage girl whose image was captured in an iconic photograph taken as the Towers collapsed. Baby Hope, as she came to be known, was rescued from the disaster by a day care worker on her first birthday. Abbi "Hope" Goldstein survived as did both of her parents. Though she herself has no memory of that day she has become a symbol of hope and resilience for many ...more
Azrah
Sep 30, 2018 marked it as crushing-that-tbr-2019  ·  review of another edition
14 Nov, 2018
COVER REVEAL

1 Oct, 2018
YAASSS! This sounds great!
Rachel
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Sad, funny, happy, and hopeful...so good! I wish it were out now so I could give it to everyone I know who will love it!
Nicole Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Buxbaum is a genius when it comes to contemporary storytelling, and this book is no exception. She manages to pack so much into 300 pages without ever making it feel overwrought or unrealistic. You would be hard-pressed to read this book and not come out of the experience thinking about 9/11 differently.

What Fed My Addiction:

Opposing goals.
Abbi wants to move on with her life and get past the one thing that has always
Belle Ellrich
May 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*I WAS PROVIDED A PHYSICAL COPY FOR THE PURPOSES OF A BLOG TOUR. THIS HAS NOT AFFECTED MY OPINION*

I'm just going to say right now that I was entirely let down and a little bit disgusted by this book.

When I was offered a position on a blog tour for Hope & Other Punchlines, I was really excited. It was pitched as a comedy meeting tragedy with a bit of romance, along with other elements that stuck out to me. However, once diving into it, all the problems began to form.

For one, every chapter is
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
9/11/01. Everyone *thinks* they know Baby Hope, the one year old girl in a birthday crown carried out of one of the buildings holding a red balloon. But her real name is Abbi and she’s fifteen and can’t erase the unwanted notoriety. Noah wants, even needs, to know Abbi who may hold the key to his questions about that tragic day.

9/11 is one of those indelible dates etched in everyone’s mind. We remember exactly what we were doing we we heard about the twin towers. We recall the feeling in the pit
Caitlin Carnes
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes it feels like those towers are still falling, and will never stop."

9/11, survivors' guilt, hope, laughter in the wake of unspeakable tragedy; Julie Buxbaum handles it all with a deft and careful hand. Read on Audible with excellent narration by Jorjeana Marie and Robbie Daymond, this one will stick with me for a long time to come.

Jessica
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The way the author weaves a cute teen romance with very serious subject matter has me feeling all the feels.
Maureen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Buxbaum has written a beautiful novel about life and death, happiness and sadness, and about loving and letting go. The characters of Abbi, her parents and grandmother, as well as Noah and Jack are richly developed. I am chuckling as I remember some of Abbi’s grandmother’s best lines.

The premise is unusual; two teens with a 9/11 connection meet at a day camp for preschoolers. They build a friendship in spite of the shared connection, and work together to fill in missing pieces of that hor
Lindsay
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
This story was great but it didn’t hook me like Tell Me Three Things did. Julie Buxbaum is a talented writer and I will continue reading her books despite the slight disappointment in this one. The writing is filled with lots of emotion, although the characters and their decisions caused me not to care. Abbi suffers from a serious condition and decides to enjoy her summer before informing her parents that she could possibly be dying. If she had just told them right away the problem would have be ...more
Courtney
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Julie Buxbaum has done it again! I opened this book yesterday, and had finished it by this morning. It's funny (and punny), heartwarming, at times heartbreaking, and absolutely un-put-down-able.
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow, this was unexpected in the way that it tackles the very sensitive subject of 9/11 and the impact it had on the world. Abbi, aka "BABY HOPE" is famous for a photo that was taken of her being carried to safety while the Twin Towers collapsed behind her. She is almost 16 and is suddenly starting to have coughing fits to which she attributes to that fateful day. She wants to have one last summer before the reality of her illness kicks in so she decides to spend her time at summer camp, where sh ...more
Samantha (WLABB)
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arcs, ya, romance
I forgot how lovely it is to read a Julie Buxbaum book. Once again, she delivered a fantastic and emotional story, and I am glad this book is out there to remind us to never forget.

Full review to follow.

*ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet and heartfelt story about growing up in the shadow of 9/11. Abbi and Noah, babies in 2001, both have strong connections to the events of the day; Abbi is famous from a photograph of her rescue from the towers, and Noah lost his father. As the now teens continue to move forward with their lives, the past continues to weave itself into their narrative. Together, they tackle some of their biggest fallout from that day.
Navdip
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initial review:

This was pretty good. I liked the camp scenes.

But the 9/11 jokes were just uncomfortable to read and Noah wasn't a particularly nice character to begin with. It's also difficult to overlook how he blackmailed Abbi. I don't know if I truly believe him when he says that he was actually joking about the blackmailing because he continued to do everything to achieve his goals regardless of the feelings of those around him.

I will still read this authors' other work though.
Rmsooon
Ive read " hope and other punchlines" i was so exicted to read this book cz i loved her other books ,, but this one was my least favorite ,, it sure was emotional all about 9-11 and stuff but i hoped the romance would be better ,, i gave it 3 out of 5 stars
Christy
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was sobbing while running on the treadmill, ok?
Jennifer Comeaux
Another gem from Julie Buxbaum! Her characters are always so likable, she knows how to do adorable YA romance, and the concept of this story was unique and so thoughtful.
Emma (Miss Print)
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vine
Definitely a very personal reaction but I just can’t handle this book. Can’t do it. I didn’t realize it was a 9/11 story (I have a bad habit of not reading synopses).

My mom worked at the World Trade Center in 2000 for the census and I interviewed to volunteer at the day care center that Abbi is in at the start of the story so it’s all just a little too close to home.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Girls on the Verge
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • The Great Unknowable End
  • The Kingdom
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • The Rest of the Story
  • Fake It Till You Break It
Please check out my two novels, THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE and AFTER YOU, both now out in paperback. My first YA novel, TELL ME THREE THINGS, debuts April 2016.

Please check out my website www.juliebuxbaum.com for more information about my books.

Or to follow my recent shenanigans, please check out my blog, JULIE HAS WRITER'S BLOG, at www.juliebuxbaum.com/blog/

One of my favorite things about being a novel