Start by marking “Unraptured: How End Times Theology Gets It Wrong” as Want to Read:
Unraptured: How End Times Theology Gets It Wrong

Unraptured: How End Times Theology Gets It Wrong

Are you rapture ready?

As a teenager in the buckle of the Bible Belt, Zack Hunt was convinced the rapture would happen at any moment. Being ready meant never missing church, never sinning, and always listening to Christian radio.

But when the rapture didn’t happen, Hunt’s tightly wound faith began to fray. If he had been wrong about the rapture, what else about his faith mig
Published March 19th 2019 by Herald Press

To ask other readers questions about Unraptured, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unraptured

Leah Randall
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With disarming candor and wit, and in a style evocative of the narration in the popular movie A Christmas Story, Zack Hunt relates his youthful crusade to ensure no living soul who crossed his path would miss the Rapture. Reading, I half-expected the teenaged Zack might shoot his own eye out with zealously parroted — but erroneously interpreted — Bible passages and lessons gleaned from famous end-times teachers. Of course, that didn’t happen. With humor, and no small amount of winsome humility, ...more
Stephanie Lobdell
At first glance, this books looks like another debunking book...someone dismantling a commonly held belief about a specific stance on a faith issue. While Hunt most definitely debunks the rapture, and quite handily, he does it in such a way that is not threatening or belittling. Drawing on his own experience as once being fixated on the rapture and end times studies, Hunt approaches the errancy of the rapture with passion but also compassion. He's been there, so he gets it and confronts one of t ...more
James (JD) Dittes
I remember sitting in a church school classroom, counting down the days.

My teacher had just gone over the latest "evidence." It was 1979, and I was 8. I think it was credit cards at the time--these would be the only way to get money from your account, and the government would shut down our bank accounts. I think there had been a reference to Agent Orange, showing that we wouldn't be able to hide during the "time of trouble" that was certain to come.

With all of the imagination I could muster, I
Christy Robinson
Shelves: inspiration
Having spent most of my life in a denomination that was founded because of the imminent second coming of Jesus, and which taught against a "secret rapture" and prophesied about an every-eye-shall-see-him event, I had different expectations when I was given the advance copy (ARC) of "Unraptured" to read and review. I carefully read the chapters and highlighted many sentences and paragraphs that resonated with my experience: Jesus is coming soon, the books of Daniel and Revelation are prophecies o ...more
Rebecca Ray
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zack Hunt spent most of his youth waiting on the rapture. He spent his spare time studying ends times prophecy, watching prophecy shows on Christian networks and arguing the rightness of his views with anyone who would listen to him. After suffering a crisis of faith in college, Hunt began to "unrapture" his faith as he learned to focus on the important things. Instead of focusing on the end times, Hunt began to focus his faith on the things that truly mattered.

I totally could get the first half
Ann Tremain Smith
**So far, I LOVE IT!** I’m loving the book #Unraptured by Zack Hunt. It’s my life. I grew up under similar circumstances in so many ways, and I’m a generation older. Change takes time apparently. This book is full of wisdom often overlooked in many circles. I am so encouraged by his words. I sense a resurgence to a purer Christianity. Also, if you have #Nazarene in your background you will get a kick out of it! You can preorder it now! I’ve highlighted so much and I love this call to humility. F ...more
Jerald Kimble
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Unraptured, it was almost as if Zack Hunt had been an invisible member of my childhood, teen years, & young adulthood, attending family devotions, church, VBS, youth group, youth rallies, church camp, school, Bible college, etc. with me in my ultra-conservative Baptist upbringing centered on the all things related to the imminent rapture of Jesus' church. And then fast-forwarding to my life today, it is almost as if Zack is secretly reading my thoughts, emails, tweets, text messages, ...more
Mark
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Unraptured' by Zack Hunt - a review.

Is it too cliché to say that this is a book about the Rapture that is NOT about the Rapture? It is, in actuality, a book about transformation and a revealing of God's love. And, in fact, I'll go further and say this is a book about the author's personal transformation and his discovery of love and grace rather than judgement and condemnation. Almost a biography.

Written with wit and served with lashings of self-deprecation, it is a joyful, easy read whilst a
Jeremiah
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who was raised in the era of “Left Behind” and was left both terrified and distrusting of a faith that would espouse such fear, it is a welcome sigh of relief for a voice like Zack Hunt to address it.

With a great amount of wisdom and introspection, Hunt unpacks the history and contradictions of dispensational theology and the effects it has had on the American landscape. I am so appreciative of voices like these who learn to rise from their fundamentalist background instead of embitt
R.J.
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great dive into the concept of the Rapture and the modern concept of the apocalypse. Most of what we think we know and believe about the rapture simply doesn't match up with the historical church.

It was fun to go on the author's journey through this discovery. My favorite part was how he wrapped it up. He doesn't just flip over the apple cart. He stays around to help pick up the apples. The final 25% was my favorite part of an already fantastic book.

(I got a free copy from the author.
Allison Pickett
If Zack Hunt is correct, Kirk Cameron has some explaining to do.
I enjoyed reading Unraptured. I appreciated Zack’s candid storytelling and his thoughts on how to biblically interpret apocalyptic scriptures. I’m happy I had a chance to read this and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who has struggled with making rapture teachings fit into what they’ve read in the Bible. It wasn’t the most exciting read and it was a little repetitive from time to time. It took me a some time to push throug
Bret C
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. It was far more autobiographical than I thought it would be. There are parts that I skimmed and other parts I cringed at because they felt all too familiar to my own experience growing up.

All-in-all, an excellent read for those on the journey out of premillennial dispensationalism. I’m not sure we’ll all end up where Zack has found himself, but it’s good to know there’s grace on the other side.
David Smith
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made sense of some childhood memories...

I grew up in a fundamentalist household that occasionally had long series of meetings about the end times. It was confusing and scary as a kid. I didn’t know what the words supposedly meant, or where the concepts came from since I didn’t understand them from the Bible. This book clarified where that stuff came from and debunked it, replacing it with a call to love that makes far more sense to me now.
Sharalyn Overhagen
Loved this book!

Not only has Zack Hunt laid out the answers to the questions I've had blaring in my head for the last 3 1\2 years, but he has also turned on a lightbulb in my quest through my adult life to understand Revelations and the so-called Rapture. The Jesus I know is LOVE and I couldn't wrap my head around end-times fairytales.
Gayle Tabor
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of the book for review.

I love Zach's captivating way of writing. The subject is deep but the method of writing makes this book an easy read.
If you grew up, as I did with the prospect of the rapture occurring at any minute. Living with the fear you might get missed. You'll appreciate this book and the theological lessons to be gleaned from it.
Jeff Moore
Could have been much better.

The premise of the book is great, but imho it’s a rambling mess. The author, while making good points throughout, belabors many of them and restates them again and again. Additionally, his understanding of dispensationlism is very dated, and few (if any) dispensationalists today take folks like Hagee, Van Impe, et al seriously, or even number them among adherents of dispensationalism.
Tom Greentree
Zach and I were raised with similar end times perspectives, though my experience was less American and more Canadianized. I liked his book, resonated with his experience, even if I felt like he caricatured dispensationalism, including himself, at times.
Marsha
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books on Christianity that I have read. I laughed out loud and so related to the author’s experience. Thank you for your insight and love. Thank you for sharing. I walk away with a better understanding of what my walk with Christ should look like.
Jon Christian
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never felt like I've been hugged by a book before until now. If you read Left Behind, attended Judgement Journey or Tribulation Trails, or were scared into being saved, this book is for you. I didn't even know that I needed healing.
Nicole Senft
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is well written and appeals to a wide audience who is looking for discussion on the end times from a Christian perspective.
Carla King
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful memoir but an even better guide to living a Christlike life. By far, this is the best explanation of Revelations I have ever read and, really the only one that makes sense.
Bryan Patton
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A strong mix of memoir and theology.
Brittany
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised by this book.
Sylvia
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part memoir, part theology and a challenge to live well here on earth. They Kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Matthew Reinbold