Start by marking “Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders” as Want to Read:
Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders

Have you ever wanted to solve a murder? Gather the clues the police overlooked? Put together the pieces? Identify the suspect?

Journalist Billy Jensen spent fifteen years investigating unsolved murders, fighting for the families of victims. Every story he wrote had one thing in common―they didn't have an ending. The killer was still out there.

But after the sudden death of a
Expected publication: August 13th 2019 by Sourcebooks (first published April 11th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Chase Darkness with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chase Darkness with Me

JanB
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to JanB by: Renee
True crime is having a moment. Growing up, I used to sneak read True Detective magazine under the covers. But now, those of us who are true crime fans can admit to our fascination without sounding too weird.

What drives an interest in true crime? Contrary to what some may believe, fans do not derive voyeuristic pleasure out of the misery of others. Investigative journalist Billy Jensen’s driving force is empathy for the victims and their families and the desire to make the monsters pay for their
Marialyce

Sometimes a tragedy can spur one onto doing something, of taking a stand, of getting involved. With the death of his friend, Michele McNamara, the author of I'll Be Gone In the Dark, a book I read and so enjoyed, Billy Jensen becomes involved in the concept and tracking of killers who got away.

With the advent of DNA tracking, many, who were previously living among us, though that was denied the ones they killed, were fated to be found. While Ms McNamara died before the Golden State kil
Fiona
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
RTC as per the publisher's request - but let's let the foreword (by Karen Kilgariff of My Favorite Murder) speak for me in the meantime:

It's a movie plot come to life. After years of difficult, thankless work, a reporter obsessed with justice gets the rare satisfaction of seeing justice finally served. Who doesn't want to read that immediately?
Natasha Niezgoda
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime, audiobook
Body In Cat Litter - Say What?! Billy Jensen has seen it all!! 4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

By now, you all know I live for true crime and so when Billy Jensen (friends with Karen and Georgia from MFM and he helped finish Michelle McNamara’s book) came out with his own book, I was all over it!

Jensen is an incredible storyteller and his road to becoming an investigative journalist is pretty cool. Chase Darkness with Me is an autobiographical view into Jensen’s start. He shares personal stories from his upbringing
Renee (itsbooktalk.com)
If you like true crime, especially in the form of investigative journalism, this audiobook is for you! I was initially drawn to this story because of Billy’s association with Michelle McNamarra in the amazing I’ll Be Gone in the Dark book from 2018. Billy worked closely with Michelle on her Golden State Killer case and after her death he was instrumental in helping to finish and get her book published.

In his new audiobook, Billy tells of how he developed a love of true crime and justic
Johann (jobis89)
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! Definitely recommend to all true crime fans, especially if you’re already a fan of Billy Jensen. I’m not 100% convinced that it’s a good idea to encourage people to get involved in trying to solve crimes on their own. There’s a difference between helping out where you can and then leading your own investigation...
Jenna Bookish
My thanks to Audible for allowing me free access to this audio book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and are not influenced by the publisher. This audio book is currently an Audible Exclusive.

True crime can be a touchy subject. What are the ethics of consuming someone else's tragedy as entertainment? Jensen's work and the way he works to essentially crowd-source murder investigations means that this book necessarily tangles with some of the thornier ethical questions su
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm not a person who normally highlights quotes from a book. I never think about compiling a list of phrases that resonate with me, or impress me. And now that I've found the book that I want to highlight and share the words of, I'm so sad that it turned out to be an ARC, because the things that Billy Jensen has written about here are so pertinent to life. Crime and death are things that have touched everyone, and Jensen is sensitive to this during the entirety of the book.

Billy Jensen is a repo
Gabe
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came into this book with no expectations. I've listened to My Favorite Murder since the beginning and was familar with Jensen as a result of the podcast (which he was a guest on during the GSK drama) and the book he helped complete after Michelle McNamara's death (I'll be Gone in the Dark).

In this book, Jensen takes the reader through his childhood, when his father would show him newspaper articles about criminals being caught. This was the beginning of his love of true crime, which lead to h
Sarah Titus
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the other side of true crime. The side without answers, the messy side. Billy Jensen is trying to do something new to solve the hard cases—creating an army of volunteers online to help fill in the gaps—to bring peace to families and justice to perpetrators. This is an amazing read. It’s inspired me to think about doing more with my time and my skillset to help. You should think about reading this. He could really use the help. All those people whose remains lay unidentified or whose murd ...more
Jade Wright
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Billy Jensen is fantastic - need I say more? No.. but I will.
Chase Darkness With me is an in depth look into investigating / solving murder cases. It's extremely personal, inspiring, motivational, gut-wrenching and devastating all rolled into one.

He shares his story of getting to know Karen and Georgia (if you don't know who they are.... I have no words,) Paul Holes and Michelle McNamara. I read I'll Be Gone in the Dark last year and I feel as though Jensen's book is a great companion to it as
Katie
Apr 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019-books
self-aggrandizing mediocre drivel
Michelle
I had no idea what to expect for an "audible original" and part of me admittedly wondered if this would somehow be less of a book. The answer is a resounding no (though I think I enjoyed this far more than I would've in regular book form--particularly due to Billy Jensen's narration). I knew that Jensen had finished I'll Be Gone in the Dark for Michelle McNamara following her death, and I knew he was a "true crime writer" but he is so much more than that. The tales of how he began using social m ...more
Kristin
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it
What starts as bingeable read about the author's evolution from crime fan, to writer, to amateur detective quickly becomes a repetitive recap of his attempts at social media crowd sleuthing (most of which fail to catch the criminal).

What I enjoyed most was the relationship Jensen has with his father. Where so many crime writers driving motivations are rooted in their own terrible, dark upbringings it's refreshing to read about someone whose obsessive interest is rooted in a childhood spent bondi
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was very exciting, terrifying, and educational. Crowd sourcing really will be the way to catch criminals moving forward. Billy did I great job moving narrating and bringing his experiences to life. It got a bit dry in places, but over all, great book.
Angus McKeogh
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good stuff. The first 85% of the book or so was about the author pursuing criminals through social media and some of his successes. This section of the book was great. The last section of the book was about DIY criminal pursuit. Hmmm...not something I’m looking to jump into so a little less interesting.
Amy Morgan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get an advance of this book true crime addict that I am and it did not disappoint! Billy Jensen lets us see how he got started with his obsession of looking into unsolved crimes and I loved every minute of it! It was also deeply touching reading about his friendship with Michelle McNamara who has gone from this world much too soon. Billy’s passion and dedication to helping victims is very evident throughout this book. Thank you Billy for sharing your stories with us and showi ...more
Jessica
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a true crime story or watched something a true crime TV show and thought, I could solve that? Do you enjoy trying to spot the clues that may have been overlooked or creating your own suspect list?

Billy Jensen has always been that guy! Jensen has spent the last 15 years investigating unsolved murders and working to bring peace and justice to the victim’s families. You’ve likely heard his name in connection to Michelle McNamara, as Jensen was one of the authors who helped finish
Janet
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

***Foreword by Karen Kilgariff, co-host of My Favorite Murder podcast***

Journalist Billy Jensen has built his career on solving cold case murders, often using the information found on social media and in other places the police don’t think to look. When detective
Katie
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Billy Jensen puts everything he has into his work. It’s clear that bringing killers to justice is a great passion of his and it’s amazing just how many cases he’s been involved in.

I read this, of course, because I’m an MFM fan and now listen to the Murder Squad podcast (where Jensen pleaded with listeners to buy his book haha). His details about the Allenstown 4 case are truly harrowing and I had to do a doubletake when he mentioned the killer had once lived and worked in my small hometown of S
elyse
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
billy jensen weaves his own story of becoming a true crime writer who begins to help solve crimes via the strategic use of social media with his friendship with michelle mcnamara, a true crime author and investigator following the case of the EAR/ONS who she ultimately renamed the golden state killer...as his career and hers begin to hit their stride she passed away and billy helped finish her book...ultimately billy's goal with this book is not only to tell his own compelling story but to hopef ...more
C. S.
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heartfelt and eloquent, this is the story of how one crime reporter went from writing about crimes to helping solve them.

The book is beautifully written and I liked the fact that after having read Chase Darkness, I feel like I recognize Jensen's touch in I'll Be Gone In The Dark. From recounting the origin story, to the call to action, to those rare moments when a resolution is found, this book is a deep, heartfelt blueprint of how ordinary people can sometimes, sometimes make a difference.

Rec
Jennifer James
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring, refreshing and raw. This book will bring you to tears, make you laugh, and reignite your passion of true crime. Billy’s honesty about his struggles and failures of solving cold cases is sometimes crushing but the victories and way he writes about Michelle McNamara/GSK really brings this book full circle.

The addendum is inspiring and very instructive, and the ending will give you full body chills.
Kyle  Anne Uniss
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love true crime, you know Billy Jensen. This a terrific in-depth look at how he became a 'murderino' and how his career brought his journalism inline with his desire to solve crimes. What a hero this man is!!!
Tonya Walker
3.5 stars.

Billy Jensen is truly someone special. He deeply cares about people and has taken his journalistic and sleuthing skills and put them into action in a way that actually makes an impact into unsolved murders/missing people. I first learned about him during a MFM episode focusing on Michelle McNamara and her posthumously published true crime novel on the Golden State Killer 'I'll Be Gone In The Dark.'
°°
I loved learning about his past and how he arrived at this point in his career. As a ke
Stephanie
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Interesting but dry
Fern
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting tale. But tone teeters on bombastic. Persisted because of the true crime element. And there is the engaging idea that crowd sourcing can work for crime solving.
Kim H
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I found all of the details in this book pretty much have been repeated over and over in other podcasts and forms. Was hoping for more stories we haven’t heard about.
ElphaReads
I first became familiar with Billy Jensen when I was reading I'LL BE GONE IN THE DARK, as he helped finish the book after Michelle McNamara passed away. I've also heard him speak as a guest on various podcasts, and on his own podcast THE MURDER SQUAD. It was pretty clear when I heard that he'd written his own book and was going to perform it in an Audible exclusive that I would be getting that book. And after waiting not so patiently, I finally got CHASE DARKNESS WITH ME on publication day.

Billy