Start by marking “When the Light Went Out” as Want to Read:
When the Light Went Out

When the Light Went Out

Five years after the accidental shooting of Marley Bricket, her friends, who were there the day she died, reunite when a box of letters from Marley is found in her former home. The discovery leads them on a scavenger hunt that reopens old memories, wounds, and betrayals, and leads them to question what they thought they knew about Marley’s death.
Published June 4th 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published June 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about When the Light Went Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Light Went Out

Schizanthus
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everything is something.
Marley was the oldest of eight neighbourhood friends, known as the Albany kids, and the mastermind behind their summer Adventures. Aidy, Teeny, Bigs, Harrison, Ruby, Nick and Olivia would join Marley, riding their bicycles around Cadence, California, enjoying the camaraderie and excitement of their scavenger hunts, never once reaching the end, always “in pursuit of a goal Marley never fully explained.”

Then Nick accidentally shot Marley. He and Olivia are the only ones
Bridget Morrissey
Sep 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dear readers,

When I think of what WHEN THE LIGHT WENT OUT is about, I’m hit with many different thoughts. To me, it is a book about grief, and the way our imaginations reshape the memories of those we’ve lost. It is also a book about girls who are written off as too stubborn, too difficult, too much. Who guard their thoughts but cannot guard their hearts. Who hurt quietly, until suddenly, they roar.

It is a book about the weight of secrets and the pliability of truth.

It is a book about how we k
temi ★
DNF at 26%
I don’t know if I’m in a slump, but half the ARCs I’ve tried reading are boring to me.

This book isn’t bad. The idea is kind of unoriginal, but the writing is great and the characters seem to be written well. It just isn’t for me at the moment. I’m having trouble caring about what happens, and while there’s tons of things I should probably be curious about, I just can’t pretend to care about anything in this book.

I think this book is a friendship book, so if you’re up for that...Five ye
Seema Rao
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprising ~ Sad ~ Triggering

tl; dr: five years after an accidental shooting, the friends are still dealing with the grief.

Bridget Morrisey's story of tragic death and the ramifications of loss is surprising. I thought this might be a murder mystery, and there are surprises that come out. But, this book is more a meditation on loss at a young age. When seen as a literary YA, the power of the book is easier to understand. Many teens lose someone, usually tragically. This book pulls no punches. T
Steffy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"When you're locked in a room with no exit, rearrange the furniture."

Alternating between the day Marley died and five years later at her memorial, the group of friends reunite to finish the Adventure, a scavenger hunt Marley loved to organize. Getting together and finishing what Marley started does not only stir up questions but also incomplete mourning.

Morissey explores the impact of childhood friendships and one's identity, how grief is needed in order to heal. Her storytelling is absolutely c
Joann
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs
ARC provided by the publisher, Sourcebooks Fire, in exchange for an honest review.

"To the other residence of Cadence, California, Marley was nothing but an event. A flower to drop outside Mr. Bricket's front door. An extra thank-you to give to God once a year. A lesson. To me, she was everything."

In the quiet town of Cadence, California, Olivia Stanton and her eight other friends run wild. Known as the kids of Albany Lane, they can be found following Marley around on their bikes at all hours
Connie
This book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review by SOURCEBOOKS Fire, via Netgalley. Thanks to both!

Title: When the Light Went Out
Series: N/A
Author: Bridget Morrissey
Genre: YA, Contemporary
Rating: 3.5 stars

Full review at: http://sunstormsandthunderclouds.blog...

(view spoiler)
megan lucy
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book carved out of the deepest depths of the universe and formed with the stars. A breathtakingly intense read, written with such complexity. We have been blessed with damaged and purely intricate characters and an intricate and perfectly woven plot. When the light went out will forever; i feel, hold a place in the saddest part of my soul but the happiest part of my heart. The use of imagery and personification throughout really made the book that much better than others I have read this year. ...more
Natasha  LeAnn
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I received an early copy of this in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Sourcebooks Fire (the publisher), and Bridget Morrissey for the opportunity!**

YA is my sweet spot with reading. It always has been and even now as I'm no longer a young adult it is still what I gravitate to the most. That being said, recently, I haven't been reading as much YA as I usually do. So, maybe that is why the beginning of this book was a slow start for me. It took me a while to get into it and
Susan
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This incredibly sad book focuses on a group of childhood friends who lose one of their members to a terrible accident. On the five year anniversary of Marley’s death the friends, now teens and young adults, get together at her memorial. While the story flashes back to what happened the day of the accident the focus is on how these kids have dealt with the trauma. Some of them seem fairly unscathed by the incident while others were scarred and never recovered. Through it all their friendship rema ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
On the fifth anniversary of Marley’s accidental shooting, the town gathers to remember. Her neighborhood friends, even Nick, who fired the fatal shot with a gun no one thought was loaded, returns. He and narrator Olivia, the youngest of the Albany Street kids share a special bond. Ollie uncovers one last adventure Marley planned before her death.

Accidental shooting or suicide? The more the kids learn, the more questions they have. Marley was larger than life, the eldest and de facto leader of th
Kendall
Thanks so much to Sourcebooks Fire and Netgalley for providing me with an early copy of this book!

..........huh?

Honestly, guys, I feel like I'm missing something. This entire book went over my head.

The story follows a group of friends who are brought back together on the fifth anniversary of their friend's death by accidental shooting. The group is then thrown into an incredibly intense scavenger hunt that forces them to question everything that they've always known about the incident, and wh
Bridget
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was a great deal to love about this book.

It was an in-depth look at best friends during their childhood as they grappled with their grief. There w
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
I received a copy of this title from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

What an incredibly emotional ride. I love this book about its secluded street and the teens that live in it. What a moving tale of love, loss, family and friends. Of forgiveness and finding yourself and having the strength to let others help you when you need it.
To begin with I definitely felt some Pretty Little Liars or Broken Things (Lauren Oliver) vibes, but towards the middle, this book took on a life all of its
Amanda
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
When I read the synopsis I thought this was a thriller and thought this through out the entire book. It wasn't until completing the book I find out that it is actually a contemporary and not a thriller/mystery. I wish I would have known that going in. I didn't get the big reveal that I was expecting or any shocking moments. After reading what the author wrote on good read abut the book and what we should expect out of it I now understand the point of the book.

This is a failure on the part of th
Cold Brew Reads
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m reeling from this beautiful, intense book. Profound and unflinching, it follows Ollie Stanton, who for five years has carried the painful and cherished memory of her friend Marley, who died of a self-inflicted and questionably intentional gunshot wound. The remnants of an annual scavenger hunt Marley would organize reunite Ollie and her now-fractured group of childhood friends, who unravel what Marley left them and come to a measure of closure over their friend’s death. I loved this author’s ...more
Nicole
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the blurb and the marketing of this book was very misleading. I went into this thinking it was a thriller/ mystery and actually it was a contemporary.

I really couldn't get into the story or the writing. I think the plot was promising and could have been done really well but I don't know, I just feel like there was something lacking in this book.

I was incredibly bored while reading and started to loss interest quite quickly. It's not the worst book I've ever read but it certainly isn'
Cheryl
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a complex book for me. It deals with grief and keeping memories alive and allowing the ones who passed to live on through them. Its about friendship and honestly the innocence of growing up (weird way to say it) Its a story also about finding hope which is why the titled impacted me so much. When the Light Went Out. to me it meant when you are faced with darkness, you must search to find the light (hope)
It is an emotional book. There are pure and honest descriptions of loss.
There is a
Darla
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up from 2.5. The idea of this book -- a group of friends reuniting on the five-year anniversary of an incomprehensible tragedy -- seemed a compelling plot. There were moments when I was totally engaged and following Olivia and the gang as they attempted one last adventure together. In between all the great action parts there was so much introspection and it seemed to be so repetitive. It was boring and I found myself skimming whole pages looking for the next crumb of the plot.

Just Reading Everything
When a group of childhood friends come together at the 5-year anniversary of their best friend's death, they realize she's left behind a kind of scavenger hunt tailored especially for them. Ollie was the youngest when Marley died and has always felt an overpowering closeness to her, and she's determined for the group to stick together to make sense of it all. Morrissey pens a beautiful, powerful, and devastating novel about grief, family, friendship, and love.
Kat
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a mixture of everything. From gun violence to grief to adventures, this contemporary explores many emotions.

We follow a group of friends as they recollect the memories of their lost friend and the different social reactions that can surround an accidental shooting. Which all comes together to make this a pertinent story for the modern age.

I think the author does an amazing job in conveying the importance of how grief and friendship can come hand-in-hand. I highly recommend that i
Hollis Andrews
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrible accident propels 7 friends to reconnect and come back together after 5 years of estrangement. This book was a heart wrenching, lovely, and sincere story and look at the after effects of grief. Morrissey writes each character so fully that I wish I could follow the Albany Lane kids through the rest of their lives. Highly recommend picking this up.
Kat
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the E-arc copy of this novel.
A novel about finding friendship through sadness and how we have to grow up when we don't want to change. Young people will relate well to the characters and the realistic circumstances of the plot.
Johnna Whetstone
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3 for neutral. I had tried on multiple occasions to get into this book, but could not. It was not at all what I expected by the synopsis. It’s more of a drama, with heartache than a mystery/thriller. I am a moody reader and will update at a later time, if able to get into and enjoy it.
Katelyn Russ
that was boring. holy shit.
Ashley
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, I'm not a fan of this book. The plot was really messed up and the book was very redundant, which made it drag on.
Tas
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find the review and more on Welp. Books!

Thanks to the pulisher and Netgalley for the eARC in exchange of an honest review.

A story about grief, losing and rebuilding friendship and coming to terms with their past and the secrets between them.

The book follows 16-year-old Olivia as she lies to bring her childhood friends back together five years after their friend, Marley died. But when the lies start to unravel, it threatens to break all the trust they had in one another.

The book was slow, but the
megan lucy