Start by marking “When the Light Went Out” as Want to Read:
When the Light Went Out

When the Light Went Out

Five years after the accidental shooting of Marley Bricket, her friends, who were there the day she died, reunite when a box of letters from Marley is found in her former home. The discovery leads them on a scavenger hunt that reopens old memories, wounds, and betrayals, and leads them to question what they thought they knew about Marley’s death.
Published June 4th 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published June 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about When the Light Went Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Light Went Out

Start your review of When the Light Went Out
Schizanthus Nerd
Everything is something.
Marley was the oldest of eight neighbourhood friends, known as the Albany kids, and the mastermind behind their summer Adventures. Aidy, Teeny, Bigs, Harrison, Ruby, Nick and Olivia would join Marley, riding their bicycles around Cadence, California, enjoying the camaraderie and excitement of their scavenger hunts, never once reaching the end, always “in pursuit of a goal Marley never fully explained.”

Then Nick accidentally shot Marley. He and Olivia are the only ones
Bridget Morrissey
Sep 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dear readers,

When I think of what WHEN THE LIGHT WENT OUT is about, I’m hit with many different thoughts. To me, it is a contemporary book about grief, and the way our imaginations reshape the memories of those we’ve lost. It is also a book about girls who are written off as too stubborn, too difficult, too much. Who guard their thoughts but cannot guard their hearts. Who hurt quietly, until suddenly, they roar.

It is a book about the weight of secrets and the pliability of truth.

It is a book a
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
On the fifth anniversary of Marley’s accidental shooting, the town gathers to remember. Her neighborhood friends, even Nick, who fired the fatal shot with a gun no one thought was loaded, returns. He and narrator Olivia, the youngest of the Albany Street kids share a special bond. Ollie uncovers one last adventure Marley planned before her death.

Accidental shooting or suicide? The more the kids learn, the more questions they have. Marley was larger than life, the eldest and de facto leader of th
Nicole
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like the blurb and the marketing of this book was very misleading. I went into this thinking it was a thriller/ mystery and actually it was a contemporary.

I really couldn't get into the story or the writing. I think the plot was promising and could have been done really well but I don't know, I just feel like there was something lacking in this book.

I was incredibly bored while reading and started to loss interest quite quickly. It's not the worst book I've ever read but it certainly isn'
Katelyn Russ
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
that was boring. holy shit.
Lauren R.
I didn’t want to stop reading this one and finished in a couple sittings today, which is a plus. I think I expected something a bit different and this was more... meh? I don’t know how to describe it. I knew it was a contemporary instead of a mystery but I can’t really explain my disappointment without spoilers. I love scavenger hunt-style books and this was only half that? It was intriguing throughout at least.
Morris
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
The plot of this book is a very interesting one that covers important issues like mental illness. Unfortunately, the characters weren't very likeable and that took away something for me. It was still a very quick read that I recommend giving a try if it sounds interesting to you.

This unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Charlotte
Jul 31, 2020 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this book and I found it very disappointing. In some parts it was very confusing and I had to re-read it to understand what was happening. Even after I had re-read those parts I still thought the book was missing something. Overall I had expected this book to be better and if your looking for a good murder mystery book to read there are better ones.
temi ★
DNF at 26%
I don’t know if I’m in a slump, but half the ARCs I’ve tried reading are boring to me.

This book isn’t bad. The idea is kind of unoriginal, but the writing is great and the characters seem to be written well. It just isn’t for me at the moment. I’m having trouble caring about what happens, and while there’s tons of things I should probably be curious about, I just can’t pretend to care about anything in this book.

I think this book is a friendship book, so if you’re up for that...Five ye
Addie Wilson
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Seema Rao
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Surprising ~ Sad ~ Triggering

tl; dr: five years after an accidental shooting, the friends are still dealing with the grief.

Bridget Morrisey's story of tragic death and the ramifications of loss is surprising. I thought this might be a murder mystery, and there are surprises that come out. But, this book is more a meditation on loss at a young age. When seen as a literary YA, the power of the book is easier to understand. Many teens lose someone, usually tragically. This book pulls no punches. T
Jen
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019
ARC provided by the publisher, Sourcebooks Fire, in exchange for an honest review.

"To the other residence of Cadence, California, Marley was nothing but an event. A flower to drop outside Mr. Bricket's front door. An extra thank-you to give to God once a year. A lesson. To me, she was everything."

In the quiet town of Cadence, California, Olivia Stanton and her eight other friends run wild. Known as the kids of Albany Lane, they can be found following Marley around on their bikes at all hour
Bridget
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
There was a great deal to love about this book.

It was an in-depth look at best friends during their childhood as they grappled with their grief. There
Steffy
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
"When you're locked in a room with no exit, rearrange the furniture."

Alternating between the day Marley died and five years later at her memorial, the group of friends reunite to finish the Adventure, a scavenger hunt Marley loved to organize. Getting together and finishing what Marley started does not only stir up questions but also incomplete mourning.

Morissey explores the impact of childhood friendships and one's identity, how grief is needed in order to heal. Her storytelling is absolutely c
Kendall
Thanks so much to Sourcebooks Fire and Netgalley for providing me with an early copy of this book!

..........huh?

Honestly, guys, I feel like I'm missing something. This entire book went over my head.

The story follows a group of friends who are brought back together on the fifth anniversary of their friend's death by accidental shooting. The group is then thrown into an incredibly intense scavenger hunt that forces them to question everything that they've always known about the incident, and wh
Christina
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
More like two and a half stars, maybe.

I feel like the back blurb, cover art, and title promised a verrrrry different story than what we actually get, and not in a good way. I was extremely confused by the first half. Olivia bounced back and forth between opinions so frequently, sometimes on the same page, and her actions made so little sense I wondered if I had accidentally picked up a sequel. When the twist was revealed it started to make sense, and from there everything felt a lot more coheren
Joann M
Vanessia
Five years ago Marley Bricket died by accidental shooting. Every year there is a memorial for her, this is the first year that Nick Cline has come though, he is the boy who pulled the trigger of the gun though, the gun he thought wasn't loaded. He is there to see Olivia Stanton, the only other person who was there when Marley was shot. Nick's reappearance means for the first time since Marley's death all of the kids from Albany Lane are back together. As if the stars aline Olivia finds the direc ...more
Amanda
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
When I read the synopsis I thought this was a thriller and thought this through out the entire book. It wasn't until completing the book I find out that it is actually a contemporary and not a thriller/mystery. I wish I would have known that going in. I didn't get the big reveal that I was expecting or any shocking moments. After reading what the author wrote on good read abut the book and what we should expect out of it I now understand the point of the book.

This is a failure on the part of th
Jackieoh
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I feel like this book had so much potential, it sounded so good. I was really interested to begin with. Quickly I realized this wasn’t like a mystery or a thriller. That wasn’t my only problem. My biggest problem was the writing style. The characters felt everything on this large lofty bigger than Existence feeling scale. If that even makes sense. And some of the metaphors and descriptions were odd and didn’t make sense. Some of the things they describe happening and feeling were just we ...more
Cheryl
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a complex book for me. It deals with grief and keeping memories alive and allowing the ones who passed to live on through them. Its about friendship and honestly the innocence of growing up (weird way to say it) Its a story also about finding hope which is why the titled impacted me so much. When the Light Went Out. to me it meant when you are faced with darkness, you must search to find the light (hope)
It is an emotional book. There are pure and honest descriptions of loss.
There is a
Jillian Bielen
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book, I felt like it held some sort of promise. Then further I got into the book, I felt like that sense of promise disappeared. It wasn’t until the very end, that the sense of promise returned.

What do I mean by that?

The book was a topic that is something featured in current events. It talks about teenaged suicide (?) and the access to a firearm.

I guess that I was a little confused by everything. I figured that Olivia’s reactions and her desire to keep Marley
Denice Langley
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The story line takes a group of neighborhood children who are traumatized when one child shoots another in an accidental shooting. The 15 yr old who has been shot continues to influence the thoughts and actions of the remaining children. The story leaps to 5 years after when the children band together to finish the adventure they started the day of the shooting. The aftermath will surprise you.

I believe the genre listing is not totally correct. The story is somewhat complicated to follow in sect
Johnna Whetstone
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
3 for neutral. I had tried on multiple occasions to get into this book, but could not. It was not at all what I expected by the synopsis. It’s more of a drama, with heartache than a mystery/thriller. I am a moody reader and will update at a later time, if able to get into and enjoy it.
Caitlin
Dec 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: borrowed
This book read like a draft as opposed to the final copy. There were multiple mistakes throughout the book which took me out of the story and ultimately made me rather frustrated. I wasn’t enthralled by the story, I moreso just wanted to finish a book I had started before 2019 ended.
E'in Nadh
Mar 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
Another book that seemed mysterious but it's just another story revolving around some missing girl that seemingly left an impact on everyone that she left behind

The writing drew me in at the beginning, got too flowery at unnecessary parts, and then became ordinary after a while MEH
Gabriella
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Incredible book! The story keeps you going until the very end, and the thrilling mystery is something I will ponder for years to come, never finding the true ending. Just like Marley would’ve wanted.
Julie Davis
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
The fiction section of my library is genre-based, and I had originally placed this novel in the mystery section. After reading it, I am moving it to the realistic fiction section. There isn't really much mystery in the book. The book deal with how a group of friends finds their lives and friendships shattered when one of the group is shot by another. It is now the 5 year anniversary and Olivia has a scavenger hunt to get the group together again.
Alice
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First of all, thanks to NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for approving my request and sending me an eARC in exchange for a honest review.
You have to know English isn’t my first language, so feel free to correct me if I make some mistakes while writing this review.

Real rating: 3,5 stars.

So, the blurb led me to believe this was a mystery book.
Well, it's not - not in way you would expect.
It's a contemporary about grief and loss, mental illness and suicide.

There was a group of kids - the kids of Al
« previous 1 3 next »

• Heartwood Box
  • The Quiet You Carry
  • I Know You Remember
  • Don't Tell the Nazis
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • The Lost