Start by marking “Bad Things” as Want to Read:
Bad Things

Bad Things

Some mistakes you have to live with . . .
One victim succumbs to an overdose. Another is brutally bludgeoned to death. Each, in turn, will pay. Because you never forget the friends you make in high school--or the enemies . . .

And others . . .
In the wake of her stepbrother Nick's death, Kerry Monaghan is visiting Edwards Bay. Kerry has just returned to the small town
Published June 25th 2019 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Bad Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Things

Start your review of Bad Things
Jen
2 Stars

My reaction to most of the book:

Unfortunately Bad Things just didn’t work for me. I’m giving it two stars because I finished it and it entertained me enough to muddle through, but the approximately 156 main characters (insert sarcastic emoji) made for a convoluted and muddled mess of a story most of the time.

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest, voluntary review
Donna Hines
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Envy and lust exists in Edwards Bay and we're about to learn why as readers are set on a course of destruction.
Find out what happened to Nick is the ultimate goal.
Multiple victims with multiple mistakes.
One thing in common all former teen friends, all centered around the stepbrother of Kerry, all with a story to tell.
Listen in dead silence you may learn something new.
Dawn
Aug 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Oh my god, why am I so stubborn?! My extreme stubbornness is the only reason I finished this book, and now I'm mad at myself for wasting time reading this crap when I could have been reading one of the number of good books sitting on my shelf. I wish I had known the "Bad Things" the title refers to are the writing, the plot and the characters. I was actually rooting for the killer, and the fact that he or she didn't kill everyone, and quickly, only added to my disappointment. These are the most ...more
OutlawPoet
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let’s get something out of the way first.

I’m reading an ARC of this one. Hopefully, by the time this is published someone will step in and say NO and remove this. But right now, at about 64%, the author decides to give us a completely-unnecessary-to-the-story Latino laborer who for some reason speaks in a completely offensive and phonetically offensive accent. For no reason whatsoever. I’m really hoping that this misstep is removed prior to this being published. Example: He talks to “Keree”
Heather Bennett
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bad Things is a good thriller with a good storyline. I have not read this author before and I would read more from this author. Written well and good storyline.
Robin Loves Reading
There is a group of former high school classmates referred to as the A-Team. One of them is the apparent victim of an overdose. Then another is brutally murdered. Will anyone else from the group suffer an awful fate? Are these people really friends, or is what happened during their high school years enough to bond them together for life...or death?

What a great premise and quite a promising book. However, there were a couple turns in this story that changed my beginning impressions. First of all,
Brenda
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad Things happened at Edwards Bay High School and a decade later someone is seeking revenge on the senior calls when one of them decides to set things right at their reunion.
There is a large cast of characters but their names were distinct and personalities different enough that made this book easy to follow.
The more the story continued, the more depth of characters and he more intriguing the plot became. High tension as the murderer concludes the murder spree.

A Kobo deal of the day.
MyBookTurnedBrain
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
The plot idea was a good one. A story focused on a group of friends who harbor a years long secret. When one of them is murdered secrets start to be revealed. The romance angle was between the local chief of police and the murdered man’s stepsister.
This book was about 100 pages too long and had easily the same number of characters. I’m talking about a ridiculous amount of characters and a good chunk of them had their own POV parts scattered throughout the book. While I do enjoy getting to see
Toni
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was amazing. What a thrill-ride! I couldn’t put this book down!

It seems almost too simple when they come upon the dead body of Nick. The first assumption is suicide. But it all just seems so wrong. He was so perfect. He had nothing to die for. But when he came back to Edwards Bay he did have something troubling on his mind. Then after Nick’s funeral and much speculation about what might have happened another person in their close knit group labeled the A Team dies. And then another.
Doris
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Just Not For Me

This is my first time reading this author and I have to say that the storyline could have been good. It was just too long and I had a hard time getting into it. Some may love this book but this just didn’t do it for me.
Owl._.
Jun 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nancy Bush is an author I always have on never ending book wish list. I have always loved reading her books in the past. Unfortunately, this one just didn't cut it. I had to restart from the beginning a couple of times as I found it really difficult to get started and into the book. I didn't connect to (nor really like) any of the characters and really found myself not really caring about what was happening.

Thank you #netgalley and #kensingtonbooks for the eARC.
Jackie
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review thank you Zebra and NetGalley for my chance! It was a true suspense filled thriller! Immediately it free Me in and I couldn't put it down! So many twists and turns in this book I couldn't keep up! I thought I guessed this ending maybe half way through! I loved that I was wrong! Wow! A great read! Highly recommend this!
Angel Hatfield
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diana Conger awoke knowing she again had too much to drink. Diana had gone to the reunion to find out they hadn’t surpassed her life but were just as messed up and clueless as she was. At least most of them were. Diana was pretty sure she ,ade ot back to her apartment by the grace of God. She struggled to remember how she got home but couldn’t remember while in her bathroom. Than on returning to bed she discovered a man in her bed. She found Nick Radnor in her bed. He was the one classmate who ...more
Billie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some mistakes you have to live with . . .
One victim succumbs to an overdose. Another is brutally bludgeoned to death. Each, in turn, will pay. Because you never forget the friends you make in high school—or the enemies . . .
And others . . .
In the wake of her stepbrother Nick’s death, Kerry Monaghan is visiting Edwards Bay. Kerry has just returned to the small town overlooking an arm of Puget Sound that she left before high school, though not before falling hard and fast for Cole Sheffield, now
Vanessa
Bad Things is a romantic suspense novel written by the ever talented Nancy Bush. The story follows Kerry Monaghan as she returns to Edwards Bay, her small hometown. Kerry is the stepsister of Nick Radnor and stepdaughter of Jerry Radnor. Going back to your small hometown can sometimes be difficult, but things are made harder when Nick ends up dead from an overdose. At first, the death seems accidental but soon everything turns upside down and the small town on the water is rocked. One by one, ...more
Nicole ☠ "psychological" thrill me❗
This book just didn't do it for me. Although the plot was originally, this book was so hard to get into and should have been 100 pages shorter. There were some twist and turns making it and OK thriller but it was pretty far fetched and the ending just didn't wow me even though I didn't know who the killer was. I thought the writing itself was good but it was filled with these large dictionary-esque words that just really felt out of place.
One thing that really bothered me about this book that I
Janice Lombardo
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I believe that I have read most, if not all, of Nancy Bush's books. None of them were disappointing, including "Bad Things." Even though you may dislike some of them, the characters were portrayed well. Considering all of the characters Ms. Bush introduced, eventually any confusion with them was cleared up.

The plotline was excellent! Who killer Nick Radnor? (and others?) I found myself changing my mind quite a few times wondering who was the murderer, and I was wrong. Twists abound in this great
Keyana
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The best part of Bad Things is that the plot was original, and the ending was unpredictable, which is rare for some of the thrillers I've read recently. However, the book didn’t hook me until I was already 75% finished, and it took me a month to read because I kept putting it down. I also did not appreciate the way the Latino laborer in the book was portrayed. He was given an unnecessarily offensive and phonetically inaccurate accent. Plus, his appearance in the novel could have been left out ...more
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC of Bad Things by Nancy Bush that I read and reviewed.
I loved this book by Nancy Bush once I got use to the writing style that she used in this book. The characters were all engaging and I loved how they all had so much history that played such a large part of the story. This was one of those books that as a reader you had no idea who the killer was until the final reveal and then you still had to wrap your mind about why they did all the "bad things" they did in
Tammy
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this thriller of a book! Some characters were really unlikeable, but there always has to be a "bad guy/girl" right. It made it hard to guess the whodunit part of the mystery, where some books make it too obvious. Small town shennanigans are fun reads to me, so I liked that. Loose ends got tied up nicely. Some of the reminiscing was redundant though. This was a win from the publisher, Thank you! I'd pick up another Nancy Bush book from this peak at her style. Great imagery, good ...more
Bookthief
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has been one of my favorite reads of the year so far. You know the saying. “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer (including psychopaths)?” Well this is totally true for this story. When one of the A-teams die, they come together and talk. Unfortunately there is a secret that can’t stay hidden forever. With Cole Sheffield as the sherif tracking down the killer with Kerry helping, they uncover a secret that goes all the way back to high school. But who killed Nick Radner, Kerry’s, ...more
Whispers From
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kerry returns to her hometown after being transferred and to help her stepfather remodel a hotel and cottages. Her stepbrother, Nick, is killed after being found in bed with a known drug user. Cole is the chief of police and Kerry’s former boyfriend. While investigating Nick’s death, others in their little group start dying too. Can he find the killer before someone else dies?
I know it’s a little short but I didn’t want to give anything away. Great story with action, and secrets. Told in several
Sheila Siarkiewicz
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mistakes and pranks done in high school have a way of following you for years. As do friends and those who didn't like you much. When Nick, the golden boy from high school, comes back to Edwards Bay for a visit things don't quite turn out the way he thinks. When Nick is found dead by overdose the questions start to fly. Nick was a straight arrow and didn't do drugs. Was it murder, accidental, or suicide? When others in the group start turning up dead the suspect list grows and questions remain ...more
Vickie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book about high school hijinks and how it affects people later in life, even leading to murder in some cases. Nancy Bush does a masterful job of weaving a good story with lots of characters, many of whom are flawed. The plot moves quickly although the multitude of characters and their inclusion in the central plot does slow things down some. I would recommend this book to those readers who enjoy romantic suspense.

Disclaimer
Disclosure of Material Connection: I purchased this book from
Patricia Gallant
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actually finished this on December 5th while on vacation but I had no passwords for access on my phone.

This was a great mystery that had me guessing from the beginning. Because of the killer's conversation with a therapist inserted throughout the story, we are led to believe it is one character, the next time another, the next time another. There was really no way to know who dunnit and I didn't see the true culprit until the very end. THAT's a good mystery/suspense.

If I have any complaints it
Jackie Jameson
Sep 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Oh God this book is awful! I especially hate when something’s promoted as “edge of your seat suspense” and then is so NOT! The writing is atrocious....repetitive....and pointless. There are three paragraphs dedicated to the main character’s changing the batteries in a tv remote. I’m reading....thinking, “How will the piece of plastic doohickey from the back of the remote figure into a later plot line?” ....since it’s featured so prominently. Almost done with this HORRIBLE novel, and it’s finally ...more
Margaret Yelton
I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my fair and honest review.

I have read some from this author but normally they have been written in conjunction with her sister. Overall I found this book hard to get invested in, their were some many different characters in the book for me it was overload and hard to keep them straight in my mind. I felt the overall plot line was a good one, it was just so busy with all the overlapping characters for my taste. The book did
Jessica Zweiacker
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nancy Bush is one of my go to authors. I always enjoy reading her thrillers . 'Bad Things' did not disappoint. I did take me a couple of chapters to get invested into the story. I thought I had things figured out halfway into the book, but to my surprise I was wrong. The book is an easy read, very enjoyable on a lazy summer day. Just the right amount of action and romance. I believe this is one of her better books, it was not a predictable as some have been in the past.
Diane Saul
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kerry Monaghan has just returned to Edwards Bay to help her step father. Her step brother Nick dies and Kerry wants answers. Cole, the chief of police is her ex fiancé and Kerry will have to face old memories to get to the answer.

This book was very slow at the beginning and hard to get into. There were a lot of unlikable characters, and I had trouble keeping them straight. This author is on my must read shelf, but I was disappointed in this book. Tho this was far from my favorite book, I will
Susan Pennett
I have read many Nancy Bush as well as Nancy Bush/Lisa Jackson suspense novels. I don't think I could ever say that any of these books were not good, but this one was not quite as good as others. Story seemed to drag a little and I pretty much pinpointed the killer 2/3 of the way through the book. I like to either guess wrong or be kept in the dark more. Just my preference.
I do think this is worth the read but be sure and check out ALL of the Nancy Bush and Nancy Bush/Lisa Jackson books.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Paranoid
  • Willing to Die (To Die #8)
  • The Lies We Tell (The Undertaker's Daughter #2)
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler, #2)
  • When You Come Back
  • Backlash: Tender Trap / Aftermath
  • Outfox
  • The Missing Piece (The Jigsaw Files #1)
  • Tangled Threat
  • The Seekers (Krewe of Hunters #28)
  • Blind Spot (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #4)
  • Her Silent Cry (Detective Josie Quinn #6)
  • Her Deadly Secrets (Wolfe Security, #2)
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler #1)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • Smokescreen (Eve Duncan, #25)
  • If You Believe
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
Bestselling author Nancy Bush has had an eclectic writing career. She started her first story when she heard how young mothers were making money writing romance novels. She thought, “I can do that,” and talked her sister, bestselling author, Lisa Jackson, into joining her in her foray into writing. At the time Nancy was a young mother herself. Now, she says she's just…a mother.

Nancy began her