Start by marking “The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)” as Want to Read:
The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)

The Truth Within

(Pelican Bay #3)

I’m not a fighter. I never was. So how do I make the one man who might just be worth fighting for see that?
At twenty-five years old, Ford Cornell should have his whole life ahead of him but instead, the would-be artist is drowning in denial and just trying to get through each day. And the boy who once believed life was about following impossible dreams has finally come to
Published October 15th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Truth Within, please sign up.
♡ ✿ Angela Lauren ✿ ♡ Yes. As far as I know, the author is working on book 4, which will be about Sawyer and Jett.

Start your review of The Truth Within (Pelican Bay #3)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The Pelican Bay books are softer than this author's The Protectors series, something I prefer. Most of Kennedy's work is overwhelmingly angsty. That's not to say The Truth Within is angst free, because it's not. The story deals with domestic abuse and conversion therapy.

One of the MCs is being physically and verbally abused by his family. Ford's formative years were filled with self-hatred and repentance for his "sins"; when he meets Cam, he still believes he can suffocate the devil inside and
Erth
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg. Where do I even begin. Ford should have been living his life instead he is doing what everyone expects and denying who he is. An abusive brother, a mother who is more worried about her image, Ford is in bell until he meets the new sheriff in town. Cam is immediately drawn to Ford but years of being told loving a man is wrong has Ford deep in the closet. Can Cam make Ford see they can have a life together? Once again,this author draws you in and doesn't let go. This is a beautifully written ...more
Wendy

I am a huge Sloane Kennedy fan... The hugest biggest ;) So of course I have read every book in this series (and in all the others). Now I have to be honest here and say that I am even though I really enjoy the "Pelican Bay" series... the "Protectors" are just a bit more my style.  This series is a bit different...sweeter and milder I would say, though it still deals with multiple triggers...

I really enjoyed this one a lot and I would have given it 4,5-5 stars if not for one little thing (person)
Christelle
Good addition to the Pelican Bay series mostly located in an animal shelter which finally is a shelter for hot characters, with flaws and ordeal, to find their plus one.
Of course, it was time to enjoy the sexy Cam, the new Sheriff in town, who always, always answers calls when there’s disturbance in Ford’s house. Yes, there is something brewing between Camden, burned out in his previous position and not wanting to repeat being in a relationship based on secret, and Ford, ashamed of his past and
Bev
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

The Pelican Bay series has really grown on me, I couldn't wait for Ford's story. Kennedy does hurt/comfort so well and she nailed it this time even if Ford really needed to extract his head from his backside a lot sooner than he did. But, when he did it was worth the irritation. I got why he was so afraid, the abuse he suffered by those he trusted was hideous but still ...... he hurt Cam with his ridiculous dithering and pushing away.

Loved Cam and Ford together, Cam especially (he's ev
Sanaa
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I’d fought to get here. To this moment. To the man next to me. He was my sanctuary…my truth.

The Truth Within was really good. The writing just sucks you in and I love that feeling. It's lighter than the author's other work that I've read but it worked out really well! The sex scenes were x rated and it's what I've come to expect from Sloane Kennedy.

This could've been a 5 star read but I had one issue with it; it was that there was so much push and pull with Ford trying to come
Susan
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it

While I loved the second half and especially the end, I had some trouble with both Ford and Cam in the first half.

Ford is the younger brother of Jimmy, the one who attacked Dallas’ bear in the first book. Ford doesn’t have it easy. His brother beats him up on a daily basis and his mother covers for Jimmy. But they’re still his family, so he can’t just up and leave them.

Cam, the new sheriff in town, knows Ford has a tough home life, but so long as Ford doesn’t come forward, there’s nothi
Chris
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy this was tough - abuse always is 😊. 4.5 stars for this next event in Pelican Bay. I adore this author so this was an insta buy, sight unseen. I’m glad I didn’t check out too many reviews and just dived in. The story continues directly from book 2 and all the main characters are still around. Cam the local sheriff is called out to see Ford after a call was made about domestic violence. This story between Cam & Ford is hard. Ford has been programmed to believe he has a devil inside of him b ...more
Gerbera_Reads
This was a beautiful beautiful book. It went above and beyond my expectations. Even though there was a slight religious overtone, it only enhanced the tragedy of one of the MC's life experiences. The characters were well-developed, the narrative was just amazing, the well of emotions it caused was bottomless.

This is a story of transformation and liberation. Sometimes we are locked in the prison of our own making and are holding the key but not willing to use it. It takes that special person to
Cadiva
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm loving this series

This is my favourite one so far in what has been a fabulous series set in the surroundings of a small town.

Sheriff Camden Wells is just my kind of guy, honest, loyal, with just a hint of vulnerability. Ford was a perfect match for him who looked like he'd be all wrong on the surface.

I loved Ford, he'd been through so much and while he'd let it Tue him down, he'd never fully broken. His relationship with his mother and brother was cleverly revealed throughout the narrative
Denise H.
**** We find ourselves back in the mix of characters from this amazing, worthwhile series. I've liked every book.****
Cam is 40ish, previously in Detroit,

a tough cop for 20 years, now in Pelican Bay, has answered a domestic violence call at this home too many times.
Ford, 25, artist and now a punching bag

for his horrible, good-for-nothing brother Jimmy, lied and said he fell. His neighbor, Walter had called it in. Cam noticed Jimmy's knuckles are red and bruised, but couldn't do anything outsi
Fabi
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Cam is the new sheriff in town. Ford has lived (and suffered) there his entire life. Instant attraction doesn't mean anything when there's no trust and apparent incompatible philosophies. Or does it? Does it maybe give two men pause enough to consider a different side of things? Possibly even a different way of life.

Cam has found a new home in Pelican Bay. Escaping the false accusation of misbehavior in Detroit, he's looking forward to the quieter pace of small town living.

I loved Cam's "voice"
JenMcJ
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this one is my favorite so far in the way it was plotted and resolved and didn't have a bunch of implausible hurdles to overcome in a matter of days. I love hurt/comfort stories and this one certainly was that.

I felt the connection between Cam and Ford but sometimes I just wanted to smack Cam for his lack of communication and his instant assumption that Ford was doing him wrong. I know they both brought baggage to the table but it seemed like Cam kept expecting Ford to unpack his baggag
Aki | nose buried in books | ❤️ |
I love this series. But this book, sadly, is the one I liked less.
There's plenty of steam, love and also plenty of pain and angst, typical of this author. The problem, in my opinion, is that in the first half of the story I just wanted to stangle Ford.. ok, your life is shitty and painful, but grow a backbone!! And you can't use your situation as an excuse to treat like a doormat the man who cares about you!
And, on the other hand, Cam isn't portrayed too deeply, so I couldn't really develop a
Kyuteepie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tammy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-read
I only gave this one in the series 3.5 stars because of my frustration 😤 with Ford 🙄. He gave off such mixed signals to Cam and only seemed to care what his family thought!
I did enjoy the end and how Cam and Ford brought together their only little family. ☺️Quite a few other stories in addition to Cam and Ford’s story too.
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Been reading too many of these by the same author I think...all starting to sound alike

There's too much going on in these books, so many storylines and sub-plots. Like Walter and Lenny. Theo and Ford. Ford and his family. Ford and his traumatic past. The aunt and the mother... Amidst all that, Cam's record from a false accusation and the whole thing with Riley was just more chaos added to the madness.

Too much going on!! Not enough focus on the MCs themselves. Relationships between people with pa
Lyndy Ann ♫
My third trip to Pelican Bay with The Truth Within, I enjoyed Cam and Ford's story but I did have my struggle with this one.

I loved Cam he had a big heart and I enjoyed his friendships with all the Sanctuary gang, Walter and his diva dog and then Riley.

Cam and Ford's relationship was not an easy one and this was because of Ford and his issues.

My feelings for Ford while reading this was like a rollercoaster ride,
Liked
first I liked him and I felt sorry for him, the way his Mother, Uncle and Ji
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
The hurt. The comfort. It's glorious!

Though I did want to kick Ford a bit in the seat of his ass. As always, lots of amazing secondary characters that just jump off the page to add flavor and texture to your reading. The sex was down and dirty hot - but the story is still center stage. It was a bit anti-climactic at the end but I'll take it.
Claude
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

And the family just grown suddenly!
I really loved the last third of the book.

Ford annoyed me. Many times in this.
But when you look back in his story, you can only forgive him.
He's so strong. Beautiful and really kind.
The scene when he finally open his eyes is touching. A beautiful thing to see.

I LOVE Cam!
The fact that he didn't let Ford treat him bad just make me love him HARD.

« Go home, Ford. I’m not going to be your Saturday night fuck and your Sunday morning confession. » .

He's the ne
Alex
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emotional, steamy, angst
SK always know how to hit you in the feels...
Well. She did it again!

Ford. 25. Bullied into the closet by his awful family.
Cam. 40. New sheriff in town. with a history of ex in the closet that nearly ruined his life...
And animals... Animals all over.
Family made of connections and love rather than just blood...

Yeah. SK's stories often fits the same pattern but it just works for me EVERY TIME!!!!!

description
Emalie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first two books of this series, but I was kind of underwhelmed by The Truth Within. Maybe my expectations were too high?
Suzy
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 emotional stars
S
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, dnf-nope, lgbtqi
Annika
Audiobook review

I'm a huge fan of the Pelican Bay series and can't listen to the books fast enough.

I love stories with flawed or scarred character. Few things annoy me more than picture perfect people shallower than a puddle on a sunny day. In The Truth Within we have two wonderfully genuine characters to fall for - or well, there are plenty more but let’s focus on our two main characters. Sherriff Camden, Cam, Wells has been badly burned by his ex in the past. To the point he needed to re-loc
Abdul
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relly
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, b-2018-read
Great addition

3.75 ⭐️

This one was the hardest to read of the series so far as it dealt with a hard topic. I felt for Ford with what he went through. I understood why it went around topics and they took a long to time to discuss what happened to Ford as it needed time to work up to it, that was the only reason I got over the to and fro from Ford and I thought Cam had a great supply of patience and understanding. I wouldn’t have blamed him if he did loose his temper and walk away being as he did
Shelby
Awwwwwww. I love poor lost Ford. He's so hurt and has never had anyone truly believe in him. The amount he's gone through in the past has pretty much crushed his self view. Of course Cam is just the man to make him wish for more. He's the steadying presence that Ford needed. All that good old Sheriff solid man, yes please.

I really enjoyed this one. It made me happy to see Ford start to heal and believe he deserves more in his life. But also so see Cam get a little more joy in his life as well.
Chappy
WOW, another great installment from Pelican Bay.

From previous books, I never really knew what to make of Ford. He seemed genuine but still tolerated all of Jimmie's abuse.

I loved Cam so hard and the attraction between him and Ford is palpable...**fans myself**

The side characters are wonderful. So happy for Walter, Riley and Puddles the diva dog. Cam and Ford really are building a family. Curious about Sawyer and Linc...stories to come I hope.
Stefanie
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Yep, can't wait for the fourth! Although I hope there will be a story about Theo too, maybe with Lincoln?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• His Saint (Forever Wilde #5)
  • Safe and Sound (Twist of Fate, #2)
  • Body and Soul (Twist of Fate #3)
  • Above and Beyond (Twist of Fate #4)
  • Lost and Found (Twist of Fate, #1)
  • Flirt (Forever Wilde #4.5)
  • NautiCal (Forever Wilde, #8)
  • King Me (Forever Wilde, #7)
  • Beautiful Chaos
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Hard Knox (Havenwood #3)
  • Delivering Dante (Made Marian, #6)
  • Fakers (Licking Thicket, #1)
  • Wilde Love (Forever Wilde #6)
  • Liars (Licking Thicket, #2)
  • LOL: Laugh Out Loud (After Oscar #2)
  • Hudson's Luck (Forever Wilde #4)
  • Murphy's Law (Havenwood #2)

Pelican Bay (3 books)
  • Locked In Silence (Pelican Bay, #1)
  • Sanctuary Found (Pelican Bay, #2)