Start by marking “The Roommate Agreement” as Want to Read:
The Roommate Agreement

The Roommate Agreement

A brand new best-friends-to-lovers romcom from Emma Hart.

Let your homeless best friend stay with you, he said. Being roommates will be fun, he said. It's only temporary, he said.
He never said I'd fall for him.

You know what isn't 'temporary?' The endless stream of dirty socks in my bathroom and empty food packets under the sofa—and don't even get me started on the hot guys
Published March 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Roommate Agreement, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Roommate Agreement

Start your review of The Roommate Agreement
DJ Sakata
Shelves: romantic-comedy
Favorite Quotes:

Jay’s grandmother’s obsession with Fireball wasn’t exactly a secret in town, and it’d caused her to remove her shirt in public more than once. I did not want to be the person who was responsible for that. The entire town was still getting over the last time. Especially since Betsy, uh, favored letting the girls go free, if you know what I mean.

The only people who have problems with inches are men and hair stylists.

“Leggings aren’t pants!” “Wash your filthy mouth out with soap!”

Sh
NMmomof4
2.5 Stars

Overall Opinion: I struggled with this one. I like the friends-to-lovers trope every once in a while, but I feel like I need to experience the development into stronger feelings for it to work. I felt like I was just dropped into their story and didn't feel any connection. I didn't connect with either character and I didn't necessarily feel their connection to each other past friends (or friend and his nagging neurotic "best friend"). It doesn't help that I didn't really like the h eith
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
You love friends to lovers tropes, you’ll really enjoy this one!!!

Jay & Shelby had me laughing and smiling and swooning so much during this read. They both are their own person, different than the other, but the entertainment they do together, so seamless. Watching this story and their relationship evolve was so fun. Emma Hart has this character banter down. It’s top notch in this read.

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: March 26, 2019
Genre: Romantic Comedy
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

I love a friends-to-lovers trope and add in the fact that they two are also roommates makes it even more perfect. Emma Hart always writes fun and quirky romantic comedies and I am always so excited to read them. The Roommate Agreement is a hilarious novel and I found myself giggling throughout. I love how uptight and OCD the heroine is along with the fact that she is a writer who sometimes has to talk to the characte
Danielle's
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a Emma Hart junkie. I just cannot get enough.

Shelby is a struggling writer. She needs a roommate to help her pay the bills, but that doesn’t mean her messy best friend would have been her first choice. He needs to move out of his apartment but doesn’t find a new place in time. He’s officially homeless and Shelby takes him in, but there must be rules if they are going to make it work.

Jay is a typical bloke and doesn’t even know how to work a washer. When he moves in with his best friend he
Shayna
“𝗔𝗿𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘄𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮 𝗯𝗿𝗮 𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝘄?”
“𝙸’𝚟𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚎𝚗 𝚠𝚘𝚛𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚍𝚊𝚢. 𝙵𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚔𝚕𝚢, 𝚢𝚘𝚞’𝚛𝚎 𝚕𝚞𝚌𝚔𝚢 𝙸’𝚖 𝚠𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚙𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚜.”

Give it up for the woman who brings us the best comedic banter in the business! 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐨𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐀𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 by Emma Hart was a laugh out loud, sexual tension filled, best friends-to-lovers romantic comedy that will get you right in the feels! Shelby and Jay were an absolute DELIGHT! The only angst you’ll experience in this gem, is the drama that comes from best friends becoming roommates, and even t
Chanelle
Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
this book was extremely annoying. shelby basically congratulated Jay for doing the bare minimum of every activity—cleaning after himself, shaving, doing his own LAUNDRY. like, mans is pushing 30 and doesn’t know how to do his own laundry and he’s lived alone? make it make sense.

a lot of the scenes were also extremely forced and awkward and the best friendship just felt so extremely forced and i don’t know, this book was just not it. also, the slight fat shaming and tall girl commentary was not
Sylvie
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rom-com
2.75/5 Stars!

While I love rom-coms for being very fast and enjoyable reads and Emma Hart does that very well I started noticing that her recent stories are becoming repetitive most of the time. The outline of her stories are very similar to one another, the only things that are different are the character's names and a little bit of the execution.
So, I decided to take a break from her books till I come across a synopsis that doesn't have the same clichés as the other ones.
Lien
I think this one just wasn't for me.
Shelby and Jay had fun moments. There were scenes where I had to laugh out loud, but at other times I caught myself not focusing on the words I was reading and somehow felt disconnected to the characters, even though their banter was great. Which is probably the reason why I wanted to see a little bit more of their friendship in the early stages. Small glimpses would have been sufficient for me, like how they became friends or stuff they went through - not nec
Lisa (Two Bookish Brits)
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another cracker by Emma Hart. The Roommate Agreement was amazing!

ARC received in exchange for an honest review

I’ve managed to read a few Emma Hart books over the past few months and every new book I read gets me more and more addicted to her books especially this one. I’m a huge lover of friends to lovers romance’s and Shelby and Jay are just a barrel of laughs.

When I began reading this beauty I knew I was going to love it and I did. I found myself laughing through parts of it as their banter r
Kahea
***5 ‘The Oreos’ Stars***

If you love the whole friends to lovers trope you are going to absolutely love this one. It’s a fun, quirky and snarky read with unique characters that is low on the angst and fill with a lot of heart. Once I dove in, I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next with Jay and Shelby and when everything was said and done, I was really happy, but really wanted there to be more words to read so I could see where the next stage of their journey would take them.

I adored J
Amy
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
“If there was anything better than chips and queso on the sofa, it was chips and queso in bed without pants on. Now there was a quote for a t-shirt.”

“The woman was a menace. If I wasn’t careful, she’d be my downfall.”

“I wanted more. I wanted her. I wanted to be hers, even if she yelled at me before I left because I’d left a pan soaking in the sink and it’d turned the water grimy and I hadn’t emptied it out. It was worth it. Fuck, it had to be worth it.”

Seriously, there is nothing better than spe
Kate
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it

A strong 3.5 stars!

Overall, this was a very funny and sweet read, with some sexy on the side ;) I'm not the biggest fan of friends to lovers trope (with some exceptions) but this also had roommates trope so to me, they evened each other out. Also, I always really like when it's a woman who is more emotionally unavailable and here I could relate quite a lot to Shelby and her struggle to express her feelings.

The only other book of Emma Hart I read so far is "Four Day Fling" and I enjoyed it too so
Escape into a Booksite
Shelves: kindle
*5 Stars*

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review.

As always with Emma Hart, this was another fun and light read. Shelby's best friend of 20 years, Jay, has moved in with her a few months ago, and suddenly she finds herself looking at him in a new way. Apart from his annoying habits of eating her Oreo's and leaving his dirty socks on the floor, he has a sexy smirk and a rockin' body. Of course, what ensues is some awkward hilarity and some oh hell no moments. And it all starts wit
Julia - The Romance Bibliophile
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
NO SPOILERS!

The Roommate Agreement was an utter delight to read, and I absolutely loved it! Emma Hart knocked it out of the park with this funny, sexy, and highly entertaining standalone romantic comedy. The storyline and characters were fan-freaking-tastic, and I loved everything from beginning to end, especially the banter between the two main characters. The best friends/roommates-to-lovers tropes are a few of my favorites, and Emma Hart did a phenomenal job with both in The Roommate Agreemen
Devanshi Agarwal
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I just...I don't know why but I didn't care about the characters. They were clichés and boring. Shelby is a clean freak, an introvert and a fictional writer whereas Jay is a messy guy who works at one of the gyms owned by his father.

It felt like someone else has written the chapters fantasizing about the whole thing. Like, it was as if the protagonist (Shelby) wasn't narrating her chapters, if that makes sense.

"There was only so many times I could see him in his underwear, thanks to my stupid
Lindsey (Linz Readz)
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, arc
GAH! I loved this best friends to lovers story!

Jay and Shelby are everything I wanted and also everything I never knew I needed when I dove into their story. They have been best friends for 20 years and are now living together. Shelby needs Jay to help make ends meet; Jay needs a place to live. Soon, they both start developing feelings and a strong attraction to each other. Are either of them willing to chance changing their friendship to see if they can find more with each other?

I absolutely
Chelé
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first Emma Hart book and I have to say it was everything I was hoping for! Absolutely laugh out loud funny! I especially loved all the t.v. show references I'm a sucker for that.

If you're a fan of room mate or room (h)ate to lovers trope this is the one for you!

It is hilarious, sweet, witty and so much fun and it was perfect pacing.

I highly recommend Jay and Shelby's story, such a great rom com!
Lady Heather
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute, easy reading friends to lovers romance.

The characters were fun to read and the bantering between the main characters (Jay and Shelby) was quick and funny.

Nice light read.
Alina
I liked the transition from friends to lovers, but I would love to see them more as a couple. It ended quite abruptly and jumped to three years ahead in the epilogue.
Jan
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Room Mate agreement is a slow burn, fun read with lovable characters.

Jay and Shelby are adorable, they have been best friends for 20 years and it's only when these two best friends move in together do they start to develop unfamiliar feelings of Lust and attraction for each other.

It's a do they or don't they tell each other scenario, do they risk their friendship and give it a go or fight the feelings that have suddenly developed?

Opposites attract, Shelby is a writer with an obsession for
Caroline
4,5 Stars

Well as with every other book I have ever read by Emma Hart this book is hilarious!! I love Emma Hart heroines they are always the sassiest girls you will ever find. They are filled with humor, sarcasm, weirdness, and backbone!

Shelby was no different, She is a writer with many voices in her head and she isn't ashamed of it. She likes to live in a clean apartment with no mess. She is crazy on a daily bases and you have to be a little crazy just to keep up with her conversations, she is
Alyson Hale
This book had me laughing out loud until my stomach ached and I thought I was going to have a bathroom emergency!

Best friends Jay & Shelby could not have been more opposite. He’s messy, disorganized and likes to live life without a plan, she has a plan for literally everything and cannot stand having one thing out of place. In spite of the somewhat extreme lengths she went to in order to get her way, Shelby’s obsession with keeping his hands off her damn Oreos, having him do his own laundry and
queen_of_the_books_18
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Lol funny, sexy rom-com.

I found myself laughing throughout this book, the banter was brilliant and everything that I’d hoped for from previously reading Emma Hart’s books.

The hero and the heroine, Shelby and Jay are complete opposites and watching their romance develop was awesome to watch. The secondary characters were amazing and I loved them.

If you love roommate/best friend to lovers romances then this book is for you. Such a fun book.
Michelle
DNF
Two books that I couldn’t finish in one day. Two books with females that annoyed the hell out of me.
I guess this author isn’t for me. She’s more a miss than a hit.
I’m pretty sure it’s just me being picky and others will love this:)
Lisa Mandina
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to compare this story to a Moon Pie, it's so nummy-nummy, I just ate it up! Okay, the main character of this book, Shelby, is me in sooooooooo many ways! First off, though, how did I, one of the biggest fans of The Big Bang Theory, not catch on to the title until they connected it to the show in the story? How? I asked to read this one based on loving the author and the great synopsis. Sometimes I really would get bit by a snake because I wouldn't realize it was there. But anyway, I am Sh ...more
Kim
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Friends to lovers tropes are my favorites and the fact that Jay and Shelby are best friends AND roommates? Absolute perfection in my book! An heroine who is uptight and a hero who still has to grow up make this story fun, hilarious and sexy! Shelby decides to throw down some rules for Jay since he just cannot function as an adult, living in her home. Being that Shelby has a little crush on Jay, the LAST thing she wants to see is him in his underwear, right? Wrong. After a night of drinking, true ...more
Brittany
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Free ARC provided through Social Butterfly PR in exchange for an honest review.

Review:
Shelby and Jay are the definition of #couplegoals! They know absolutely everything good and bad about each other and are even closer because of it. The Roommate Agreement is hilariously funny, heartwarmingly sweet, and a perfect slow-burn kind of steamy. The chemistry between them is in dynamite proportions but the build-up to get there makes it total perfection.

My favorite thing about Shelby and Jay is that t
Isha Coleman
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
The Roommate Agreement by Emma Hart

At the heart of an Emma Hart read is a sense of humor. Hart keeps the good times rolling and the laughter flowing with sassy dialogue and the perfect sprinkle of heart. Jay and Shelby are in need of a reality check and that wakeup call is sure to shake up their longstanding friendship and their new found living arrangements. The Roommate Agreement is classic Emma Hart. Sweet, sexy and smart. The perfect pocketful of sunshine.
Rivka
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This was okayish

• Junk Mail
  • The Hookup Handbook
  • The Feel Good Factor (Lucky in Love, #2)
  • Make Me Bad
  • Just My Type (Hometown Love Series #2)
  • Boyfriend for Hire
  • Nobody Does It Better (Lucky in Love, #3)
  • Parental Guidance (Ice Knights, #1)
  • Coldhearted Boss
  • The Two Week Arrangement (Penthouse Affair, #1)
  • Boyfriend Bargain (Hawthorne University, #1)
  • Tomboy (The Hartigans, #3)
  • Dangerous Magic (Haven Lake Cozy Mysteries, Book One)
  • Awk-Weird (Ice Knights, #2)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Malibu University Series, #1)
  • The Billionaire Boss Next Door
  • The Dating Proposal (Caught Up In Love #2)
  • Best Laid Plans (Lucky in Love, #1)
Emma Hart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over twenty novels and has been translated into several different languages. She first put fingers to keys at the age of eighteen after her husband told her she read too much and should write her own.
Four years later, she's still figuring out what he meant when he said she 'read too much.'

She prides herself on writing smart smut