Start by marking “Blackwood (Perth Shifters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blackwood (Perth Shifters, #1)

Blackwood

(Perth Shifters #1)

In a world that is still getting used to shifters, where everyone thinks omegas are second class citizens, nature photographer and omega Braden Payne lets everyone think he’s a beta. That way no one gives him a hard time and he doesn’t have to live a repeat of his failed relationship. But when his car breaks down in the remote Blackwood forest in Western Australia, without ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 267 pages
Published November 23rd 2018 by Pia Foxhall

To ask other readers questions about Blackwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackwood

Start your review of Blackwood (Perth Shifters, #1)
Cadiva
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A new author to me and a new way of examining the world of shifters and I really enjoyed it.

Set in the forests of Western Australia, this romance examines in detail the hormones made me do it aspect of an omegaverse where the dynamics of alpha, beta and omega are followed.

Branden is a really beautifully crafted character, he's strong but vulnerable, an omega masquerading as beta not only because he wants the freedom to roam as a nature photographer but also because of a traumatic previous exper
Kathleen
Dec 12, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: shifters, abo
DNF 19%
No rating

Although well written and edited, and the author assuring me there was no mpreg, it’s still full-on ABO. Ugh. No thank you.
Joyfully Jay
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Blackwood is the first book in Pia Foxhall’s new Perth Shifters series and it grabbed my attention from the very start as we see poor Braden stranded in the woods facing a dire situation. This is an interesting, somewhat genre bending story that has well-developed world building. I would say it is sort of a cross between a traditional shifter book and an omegaverse story. The story takes place in a contemporary world where shifters have made their presence known a
Wendy-Book Lovers 4Ever
DNF @ 67%, I tried so hard to stick with it but I just could not handle any more of it.
The random question marks at the end of sentences that were not questions.

The excessive...
I mean... I mean it’s not that
But it’s not... It’s just not
I mean, I don’t... I don’t really understand it.
So it’s like... carrying a torch

I could go on!

And then there’s the -
I’ve not known-personally- a single
Without Braden’s heat- their hormones
I can say it’s not a bad storyline it’s the writing that just does not
Carly
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
There were a few good moments in this book, but it did not work for me as a whole. The pacing was off. The beginning 30% or so was so slow and boring. Then the big climactic fight happened around the 50% mark. And then all the should-have-been-cute relationship stuff happened in the second half. But because there was almost no plot or tension driving the book forward at that point, it all felt a little who cares. If you took all the pieces and rearranged them so the beats fell in the right place ...more
Becca
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book and how I love alpha/Omega relationships to be. In the end. It was a little slow starting for me, and sometimes during but overall I loved it.

Having a bad past, Braden has been hiding himself for years. The sad part is, it was just a bad moment with an alpha. This went back to his family. So when he gets lost in the woods, panic attacks seem to become the norm. And when his suppressants start to wear off, yikes. When Coll finds Braden he knows something is very wrong.
Claudia
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good story and a very good read. it is a very different form of shifter reality and I enjoyed getting to know the world
Some aspects could have been a bit more detailed - eg. I would have loved a bi tmore pagetime for them as a couple.
Braden was very well drawn but Coll would have benifited from a bit more background.

the mystery part was well done and I enjoyed reading the whole book. and I hope that the next book comes soon
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
I will write a full review later...but I will leave you with this...

This is SUCH a sweet book. Yes, Braden has trauma and things happen, but he's overcome that for the most part and now it's time for him to really get the truth and love from a real Alpha. Coll couldn't have been better. He's one of those calm slow and steady alphas and I just love him (Ginger love ;) )

Super sweet,super HEA...and I really can't wait for more Aoudhan, Dazza and Hunter. I'm really curious about them all!
Donna
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of things that I loved about this story.

Firstly, it’s set both where I live, and also just south of my home, in the forests where I love to holiday. I think a book is always that little bit more special when you can picture the exact, familiar places that the author writes about. Usually when books are set in Australia they’re in the outback, or somewhere fun like Sydney or Melbourne, it’s not often I find a book set in southern Western Australia.

Secondly, I love Alpha/Omega boo
Carra
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first time I’ve read anything by this author, and I’m very pleased to report I really enjoyed this book and can’t wait for more in the series! There was a strong plot, the writing flowed smoothly, and the characters had enough depth and complexity for me to care about what happened to them. This story was set in a human and A/B/O shifter world, one where things are not necessarily equal between different groups—just one area that is a point of strife in the story.

Braden was a strong,
Daphne
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Meandering dreamy quality to this new ABO shifter series. In some ways, this is a book for those who do not like ABO dynamics because of the problematic elements. In telling Braden and Coll’s (and Aodhan’s and Hunter’s) stories, they delve into the troublesome elements of characterization of identities without being overly preachy or virtue signaling. Other than the obvious villain, no one is the cut and dried perfect person (although Coll comes close). There was an awkward vibe to the dialogue, ...more
Kyuteepie
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Amanda
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-shifters
Ok book with no real angst between the MCs. Past traumas and current ones collide and cause some strain and angst for one MC but the couple is solid. Good book, just not remarkable in any way.
MJ's Book Blog and Reviews
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review by: Jennifer
(4 stars)

A new take on a world of shifters, this was such a sweet read. When Braden's car breaks down out in the wild, he ends up stuck. For the most part he is prepared for this, but he doesn't have enough of his suppression meds for him to stay out there too long. Without the meds, Braden starts to go into heat, something that he has avoided for years. When Coll comes upon Braden, he is already in a bad way but Braden maintains that he does not want to go to the hospital. So
Ju Transcendancing
Super sweet and just as hot. This book was so deeply satisfying on every level to read. The writing is glorious and I fell into the world head over heels. I adored the characters and their journey, such great HEA. I am so excited to read more!
Bethwyn Badger
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
I have read some of Pia's work before on AO3 and I absolutely adore their writing. They write such wonderful characters that draw you in and make you care so much - I relate so strongly to some of their characters that I find myself thinking of them for months afterwards. This is true for Blackwood, too.

Braden in particular is a character written in such a way that makes him feel so real. I found myself crying whilst reading this book - sometimes from bad things happening, but also from really c
Janet
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply stunning narrative

I am so impressed with this book. It is not a quick read for mindless pleasure like so many of the shifter books are. The characters are so real, solidly fleshed out in a manner that continues to define them through out the whole book. The world building is fantastic, based strongly on a Perth I would love to see , in a southwestern Australia that I recognised. This world though did not feel like a "Crocodile Dundee "Australia , but rather felt incredibly real, and much
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, romance, m-m
Blackwood is the first book in the Perth Shifters series by Pia Foxhall. We jump straight into the action with Braden in trouble, in the middle of nowhere. He is rescued by Coll, who realises just what Braden has been through, and he tries his best to help him in the circumstances. Of course, it couldn't be that easy, so Braden's past is thrown into the mix, plus long distances.

What you get is an enthralling read that will keep you turning the pages. The story is fully fleshed out, with a multit
Vera
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful gentle book, full of warm feelings, the true meaning of home, the tastiest hot chocolate in the world, love for Western Australia and its nature.
The characters felt true, real and relatable, the cast of side characters also felt great and intriguing, as for some of them it is planned to carry their own book of the series in the future (i love Aodhan with every bit of my soul so I'm excited!)
By the way, the author is great and I'd recommend checking their other works too! <3
twistedkites
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great start to an Australian shifter series

This book had me completely immersed within the first few pages and it was hard to put down. The tropes are familiar but the rich quality of the writing, Australian idiomatic language and complex characters elevates this one. Highly recommended.
Victoria Taylor
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great new author!

This was a new author for me and I really loved this book, which looks like it will be the start of a series. Loved the MCs especially Coll who was an amazing calm alpha, who does an amazing job helping Braden deal with his PTSD. Can’t wait for the next one!
M_C
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This one of the best omega-verse books I've read in a really long time. I loved how the author was aware of the fact that you can't just "get over" physical abuse even with "omege-alpha hormones". You see that too many times in these kinds of stories, so I appreciated the hell out of the author for taking any kind of intercourse between Coll and Branden slowly. That was so perfect and made me respect Coll tremendously.

Wonderful, sweet, emotional read. Highly recommend!
L.E.
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-read
Okay, so it seems that Alpha/omega books all have that one cliched thing in common: omegas going out of their minds with lust when their heat comes, and alphas going out of their minds because of said heat. So when I started reading this book, I was like "here we go again, insta-lust, insta-mate, fated-mate, yada-yada-yada." But this book surprised me.

I just loved Coll and how he treated Braden during his heat, proving that hey, alphas aren't actually ruled by their dicks and are able to exercis
Em
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, dnf, pnr, m-m
Found it kind of boring tbh, couldn't find myself interested in Braden or Coll. If what the book starts with had instead been its 3rd act maybe I could have been into it, but it just kind of dropped me into a crisis without any build up of the characters (or plot but lbr I wasn't expecting much) and I just didn't care. Also, Coll sarcastically talking about how he'd rape Braden (to emphasize that he wouldn't) was...not cool. The reader knows it's all above board but y'all are total strangers. Be ...more
Mike
Aussie Scot forest warden/lumberjack and the mixed scents/signals of the stranded, overheated, and traumatized photographer

Shifter omegaverse romance story with an omega-in-beta’s scent going into heat underneath the extraorindarily caring nose of the most patient Alpha

My favorite a/b/o (alpha/beta/omega) stories parallel and explore real world gender issues, as much or more than the more typical alpha knotting/omega heat-mpreg fetishitic heat or the alpha dominating (or rescuing) the less aggre
Drizz
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow. I loved this. Yeah, it included some tropes like omega heats but it was done really well. Foxhall really focused on consent between Coll and Braden. It was so great. A lot of shifter stories (particularly ones with heats) are soooo dub-con. There is even mention that "controlled by hormones" is just an excuse for rape.

I really liked that there was no contrived third act relationship angst. And, unlike many m/m romances, it wasn't misogynistic. Although we only really meet Ffiona, there w
AllAboutThoseBooks
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very strong world building

This genre has a wide range of writing styles, with a writing quality that skews poorly. Foxhall's Blackwood soars above that with complex characters and detailed social and historical context.

The bad guy is more of your standard psychopath, but the thing about psychopaths is that their backstories don't tend to play a role in their development, and his primary relevancy to this story is to highlight political, social, and personal issues. The story is not about him.

Th
sauvageloup
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Reread Dec 2019:

really enjoyed this, just as much as the first time or perhaps more. Foxhall always does a great job of making you really care for the characters and I absolutely love the focus on nature in these. Also paid more attention to Aodhan and Hunter this time round, because I know their book is planned to be next. And Dazza as well, who seems like an excellent guy. Also really like how politics, bureaucracy, pain management/injuries and prejudice are all realistically woven in there, v
Christina
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More than meets the eye

So you probably expect this to be a book about hot shifter sex, and in a way it is. But it's also about inequality and intersectionality and the ways the powerful blame the marginalized for their own oppression, and also how Australia has excellent health care and eucalyptus smells amazing.
schneefink
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 This was a nice story, I really enjoyed the atmosphere (especially the forest, and all the hot chocolate, and bonus for the chocolate shop.) I liked all the characters, the background characters too, though it took me a while to find Coll interesting (he was almost too idealized.)

• Dark Rain (The Anrodnes Chronicles #1)
  • Honeythorn
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • In This Iron Ground (Natural Magic #1)
  • Omega Required (Wolves in the World, #1)
  • The Alpha and His King (Kincaid Pack #1)
  • Witchblood (Kitsune Chronicles, #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • Frostbite (The Gifted Ones, #1)
  • Thrown Off the Ice
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Wolf Lost (The Wolves of Kismet #1)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Hidden in Darkness (In Darkness, #1)
  • Skin and Bone (Digging Up Bones, #2)

News & Interviews